ADVERTISEMENT

Sports Illustrated looks like it might be on the way out.

When SI put a dude dressed as a woman on the cover of the Swimsuit issue I immediately ended my longtime subscription to the magazine. I don’t care what people call me, I don’t cotton to that deviant $hit. Go woke, Go broke.

That's a bummer. Maybe they are transitioning away from print. They'd probably only need a small fraction of the staff to keep the online business running.

It's been dying for years. There were layoffs about 8-10 years ago.

Back in 2016, they started cutting the number of issues they put out each year. By 2017, there were down to 38 issues a year (From 50 issues just 2 years before).

In 2020, it became a monthly only publication.

But I never subscribed to it.

I did subscribe to ESPN magazine for awhile. I really enjoyed it. But they shut that down back in 2019 I think it was.

I still remember The Sporting News. Use to love reading that but the print edition was killed off back in 2012.

Reactions: adcoop
Such a shame. As a kid in the mid 80s to early 90s I had a subscription on and off again. Professional Sports isn’t the same anymore and magazines like that are a thing of the past.

I looked forward to reading Frank Deford’s columns when each issue came out. Sadly, too many sports journalists of today live in a woke world where only the so-called enlightened elite live.

Reactions: Cybercock
Sports Illustrated suffered the same fate as newspapers. Most people don’t receive their sports news content in physical print form. Further, even when Sports Illustrated was at its highest, they were only a weekly publication. You can find so much content that is of the same quality or better than Sports Illustrated on a daily basis. Sports Illustrated was a great way to cap the sports week back in the 70s and 80s when you could only see a couple games a week. Now, you can see every game if you want. In that environment, who needs Sports Illustrated? The so-called woke stuff may affect older or more right wing readers who may actually still read the publication. However, many on the left had no idea those so-called woke things were occurring with the publication because they haven’t picked up a Sports Illustrated since like 1995.

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock
Sports Illustrated suffered the same fate as newspapers. Most people don’t receive their sports news content in physical print form. Further, even when Sports Illustrated was at its highest, they were only a weekly publication. You can find so much content that is of the same quality or better than Sports Illustrated on a daily basis. Sports Illustrated was a great way to cap the sports week back in the 70s and 80s when you could only see a couple games a week. Now, you can see every game if you want. In that environment, who needs Sports Illustrated? The so-called woke stuff may affect older or more right wing readers who may actually still read the publication. However, many on the left had no idea those so-called woke things were occurring with the publication because they haven’t picked up a Sports Illustrated since like 1995.

It certainly was a combination platter. However, most big name newspapers/publications have a core group of devoted readers who can carry scaled down print divisions if they don't get off the rails.

Just look at all of the mainstream companies who have taken a major financial blows trying to push the fringe in order to placate special interest groups who probably don't even use the product in the first place. Most of the people who actually work for these companies don't seem to be onboard with the movement either, as it's counter-intuitive to their own existence. Rather, it's DEI-driven parent company driven ideology.

Last edited:
It certainly was a combination platter. However, most big name newspapers/publications have a core group of devoted readers who can carry scaled down print divisions if they don't get off the rails.

Just look at all of the mainstream companies who have taken a major financial blows trying to push the fringe in order to placate special interest groups who probably don't even use the product in the first place. Most of the people who actually work for these companies don't seem to be onboard with the movement either, as it's counter-intuitive to their own existence. Rather, it's parent company driven ideology.
I can agree with that, but people push what they are eventually. There is a lot of gender flexible stuff going on especially with the younger generation. So, I don’t think they are pandering to anyone in particular. They are just pushing what they are. It doesn’t bother me as much as some because I believe in people having the right to be who they are even if I don’t personally support it. I am not the type to cancel a brand or content I like 90% of just because they have some called woke stuff going on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ward Jr
I can agree with that, but people push what they are eventually. There is a lot of gender flexible stuff going on especially with the younger generation. So, I don’t think they are pandering to anyone in particular. They are just pushing what they are. It doesn’t bother me as much as some because I believe in people having the right to be who they are even if I don’t personally support it. I am not the type to cancel a brand or content I like 90% of just because they have some called woke stuff going on.
Like most, I don’t care who someone sleeps with. But when you try to recruit me and my kids into your lifestyle, based on who you sleep with, then I have a big problem with it. So you’re OK with grown men dressing like women and reading to the kids in the library, trying to make them think this is the way they go?

Funny thing is, when I read to kids, my entire life, I never mentioned sex or dressed like a freak. And I’m sorry, I don’t care who it offends, Leah Thomas, is not the female of the year for anything.. call me crazy. These generations did not just get confused. They are being taught this by mainstream media and in schools at young ages when they are impressionable. Hitler was able to do that also. Doesn’t make it right.

The live and let live approach you speak of might work if the other side took the same approach. They don’t.

Like most, I don’t care who someone sleeps with. But when you try to recruit me and my kids into your lifestyle, based on who you sleep with, then I have a big problem with it. So you’re OK with grown men dressing like women and reading to the kids in the library, trying to make them think this is the way they go?

Funny thing is, when I read to kids, my entire life, I never mentioned sex or dressed like a freak. And I’m sorry, I don’t care who it offends, Leah Thomas, is not the female of the year for anything.. call me crazy. These generations did not just get confused. They are being taught this by mainstream media and in schools at young ages when they are impressionable. Hitler was able to do that also. Doesn’t make it right.

The live and let live approach you speak of might work if the other side took the same approach. They don’t.
Totally agree ! Today’s so-called enlightened elites are doing their best to normalize what’s truly abnormal. They don’t care what physical or mental damage they do to others because they live in a fantasy world.

Reactions: tngamecock#
This has actually been a fairly civil discussion, my instinct is the lock the thread while we are ahead, but as long as you guys can keep playing nice I'll leave it alone for now.

As someone who obviously works in the sports journalism space, I don't think the "woke" stuff has that much to do with it. The space has changed and they waited too long to pivot. Lately, they've switched to a model similar to ours where they employ folks in local markets to try to build a smaller online brand, but I think they waited a bit too long to get on board and our space is somewhat saturated already with the 3 of us on the recruiting sites, plus local newspapers.

Hopefully, the guys who were working the local market for SI can land on their feet though. I'm all for as many passionate journalists covering the Gamecocks as possible.

Totally agree ! Today’s so-called enlightened elites are doing their best to normalize what’s truly abnormal. They don’t care what physical or mental damage they do to others because they live in a .fantasy world.
Agree with you in some ways, disagree in others. I agree that the LGBTQ community get overzealous in trying to affirm their existence. However, at the same time, you can control what kids are exposed to. ….and when you can’t, you still make it clear what the expectation is in your household. You can change the channel if something’s is on that don’t meet your standard. You don’t have to attend a book reading that doesn’t meet your standard. At the same time, you can’t control what your child becomes. So banning exposure to things is just a slippery slope that I don’t wish to participate in. How do some you feel when liberals get in control things and want to tear down every segment of your history. That is just the flip side of all this wanting to ban XYZ is. The funny thing is that is we have all this push to ban things and I see more gender flexible guys wearing black finger nail polish than ever before.

That is just the flip side of all this wanting to ban XYZ is. The funny thing is that is we have all this push to ban things and I see more gender flexible guys wearing black finger nail polish than ever before.

Young people in general these days - many of them- are just more open minded in some ways. Gender issues don't bother them, or they ignore them. I see this with my own high school daughter. They just don't get hung up on it much. If someone is a friend and a good person, they just don't care about the other stuff.

There is always- always pushback to "banning" stuff.

American history is full of things that were going to be banned. Banning things- especially for teens and such only makes things more interesting to them.

Obviously, most of us are for some limits for young kids. Older high school kids? - Maybe not so much. Heck, they look at whatever they want via their phones anyway. So you never ban things you want to ban anyway. Kids with phones can still see it.

When I see people call for banning of certain books, the book sales of those books usually skyrocket right after the calls for bans. Heck some people use the bans as a way to decide what they want to read or buy next.

That's not new. It's sort of human nature.

"You tell me I can't see something?"

Well, now I have to see what I am not supposed to see/read" etc..

At least for men, some of it probably comes from them knowing they use to check out Playboy, Hustler, etc. when they were in high school- often from a friend, or their own dad's stash- or the dad of a friend. Most of them turned out just fine.

Heck, one of my friends in high school found his mom's stash. LOL. We never thought too hard about why she had them hidden- well- we never talked about it. I know we thought about it.

Sports Illustrated suffered the same fate as newspapers.

SI recently got in bad hot water for having articles generated by AI. That didn't help their advertising income.

That's a hot issue in the publishing and ad world and when that info came out, I wouldn't be surprised if some big ad agencies paused purchasing any new ads to see what the fallout would be.

I read an article yesterday that made me thing that was a much bigger "no-no" than I thought- and I knew it wasn't good already.

Sports Illustrated suffered the same fate as newspapers.

SI recently got in bad hot water for having articles generated by AI. That didn't help their advertising income.

That's a hot issue in the publishing and ad world and when that info came out, I wouldn't be surprised if some big ad agencies paused purchasing any new ads to see what the fallout would be.

I read an article yesterday that made me think that was a much bigger "no-no" than I thought- and I knew it wasn't good already.

So odd, I have gay friends, and a close family member that is trans, I've never met anyone that tried to "recruit me" or anyone else into their "lifestyle."

The people I know are just living their lives and fighting to be treated equally and show people they are normal human beings. - For example, trying to fight so that adult trans individuals can keep access to their medications because politicians in states like South Carolina are trying to dictate what type of medication they can take as an adult. (That doesn't sound much like "live and let live")

I think you are referring to activists- and some of those do go too far. But of course, that's true for all sorts of activists, not just gay or trans people.

I don't consider it a lifestyle by the way. A person is who they are. It's not a watch that you put on and take off or like someone who likes to hang out in the mountains in the summer.

Personally, I am perfectly fine with a man dressing as a woman (appropriate attire for a school) and reading to children. I'm fine with a woman dressing as a man and reading to children (much more frequently and really no one says a word). As long as they book is age appropriate for the children.

Of course, the % of individuals that do such a thing are way less than ..1% even though politicians gin up votes and passion by making it sound like this is happening 30% of the time. The ones I know that have done it do it as a show- play-acting to make the children laugh and interested in the reading.

Last edited:
I took it for years, beginning with the first swimsuit issue when I was a teenager. $7.50 for the first year. Lots of water over the damn.

Last edited:
I took it for years, beginning with the first swimsuit issue when I was a teenager. $7.50 a month. Lots of water over the damn.

We had it in our high school library. They had them hanging on these big hanging poles- even the swimsuit issue.

It’s like that UFC fighter said, weak ass men with no backbone agree with that kind of crap.

I took it for years, beginning with the first swimsuit issue when I was a teenager. $7.50 a month. Lots of water over the damn.
Same here. My parents gave me a subscription for Christmas every year, beginning in the late 60’s. I haven’t read one in years though. Prior to Twitter and other social media outlets, SI was fantastic.

Reactions: king ward
So odd, I have gay friends, and a close family member that is trans, I've never met anyone that tried to "recruit me" or anyone else into their "lifestyle."

The people I know are just living their lives and fighting to be treated equally and show people they are normal human beings. - For example, trying to fight so that adult trans individuals can keep access to their medications because politicians in states like South Carolina are trying to dictate what type of medication they can take as an adult. (That doesn't sound much like "live and let live")

I think you are referring to activists- and some of those do go too far. But of course, that's true for all sorts of activists, not just gay or trans people.

I don't consider it a lifestyle by the way. A person is who they are. It's not a watch that you put on and take off or like someone who likes to hang out in the mountains in the summer.

Personally, I am perfectly fine with a man dressing as a woman (appropriate attire for a school) and reading to children. I'm fine with a woman dressing as a man and reading to children (much more frequently and really no one says a word). As long as they book is age appropriate for the children.

Of course, the % of individuals that do such a thing are way less than ..1% even though politicians gin up votes and passion by making it sound like this is happening 30% of the time. The ones I know that have done it do it as a show- play-acting to make the children laugh and interested in the reading.
Shocker

Reactions: hahnenkampf
Another broken record -- Blackrock became the majority shareholder in late 2019. Like clockwork, the SI progressive covers and content commence in 2021.

Why would Blackrock continue this trend with purchasing businesses and then pushing policy that seems to run counterintuitive to a profit model?

Because shorting is far more lucrative than going long when it comes to longstanding businesses.

And the SEC just continues to turn a blind eye...Wonder why? :)

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN1V10GN/

Reactions: ElectricalCock89
It’s like that UFC fighter said, weak ass men with no backbone agree with that kind of crap.

That UFC Fighter said if he had a son that was gay, it would mean he failed as a man.

Do these people not have friends that are gay? Do they live in a such a bubble that they don't interact with other human beings?

He's a 100% complete, utter, fool.

Then he said if he had a whore for a daughter, he'd think she was just like he was.

He has some serious problems.

I wonder what went wrong?

Sports-Illustrated-640x480.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT