ADVERTISEMENT

State Reps Want You Arrested if you Leave Home

Sep 15, 2016
https://www.wistv.com/2020/04/01/state-representatives-call-gov-mcmaster-issue-stay-at-home-order/

These state representatives are calling for McMaster to order citizens to stay home. Doesn’t sound too controversial, until you read some of their comments. Representative Brawley (D) of Richland County wants “all public and private gatherings” banned, regardless of purpose. Representative Rose (D), also of Richland County, wants such a measure to be enforced by “force of law.” In plain English, they want the police to arrest you if you decide to leave the house. I’m all good with suggestions (I think we should practice social distancing, to be clear), but this is fascism. If I want to visit with family, go to my small office and earn a living, or freely exercise my religious faith with a few members of my church, I ought to be able to do it. This is still America, right? I’m perfectly fine with the government shutting down public places and private entities canceling events to slow the spread, but I don’t need the government telling me what’s best for me and threatening to lock me up if I don’t like it. People are so quick to give up their constitutional freedoms, it’s pathetic.

Fascism, no. Total capitulation to the big brother style of government you've always dreamed of? Yes. I didnt vote these fools in. More notably here is that they're Democrats although Republicans, especially here lately have been showing their disdain for individual liberty as well. Moral of the story is we're fckd. That slippery slope the watchdogs have been sounding the alarm over for years has been been slid. This has a feeling of the new norm. Complete and utter federalization is around the corner and nobody gives a rip. USA USA.

Fascism, no. Total capitulation to the big brother style of government you've always dreamed of? Yes. I didnt vote these fools in. More notably here is that they're Democrats although Republicans, especially here lately have been showing their disdain for individual liberty as well. Moral of the story is we're fckd. That slippery slope the watchdogs have been sounding the alarm over for years has been been slid. This has a feeling of the new norm. Complete and utter federalization is around the corner and nobody gives a rip. USA USA.
We will have to agree to disagree on what constitutes fascism, but I agree with the rest of your post. I’m afraid of the precedent this sets.

Fascism (/ˈfæʃɪzəm/) is a form of far-right, authoritarian ultranationalism characterized by dictatorial power, forcible suppression of opposition, and strong regimentation of society and of the economy which came to prominence in early 20th-century Europe.

FYI: Democrats must now be right wingers then. That does make sense here in the south though, we are extremely backwards and confused about a lot of things. It has come full circle, seems as if our elected officials truly have disdain for the supposed free man in this country.

Reactions: Buzzkill1
Sorry but from now on you can only exercise your right to freedom of assembly via Zoom. It’s what the framers would have written had they known a cold virus would threaten 1% of our population.

Never mind the fact that they decided to start a freaking WAR over tariffs. Obviously if they were enlightened like all of us they would have totally said the tariffs were cool as long as everyone stayed healthy.

Fascism (/ˈfæʃɪzəm/) is a form of far-right, authoritarian ultranationalism characterized by dictatorial power, forcible suppression of opposition, and strong regimentation of society and of the economy which came to prominence in early 20th-century Europe.

FYI: Democrats must now be right wingers then. That does make sense here in the south though, we are extremely backwards and confused about a lot of things. It has come full circle, seems as if our elected officials truly have disdain for the supposed free man in this country.
Yes, that is how Wikipedia defines it, but Merriam-Webster also defines it as follows: “a tendency toward or actual exercise of strong autocratic or dictatorial control.” You’re right though, things have come full circle; Democrats seem to support views that were traditionally in the realm of the right wing, and vice versa, these days.

Sorry but from now on you can only exercise your right to freedom of assembly via Zoom. It’s what the framers would have written had they known a cold virus would threaten 1% of our population..
let’s not worry too much what the framers would have thought about a pandemic in a country with 350 million people who can travel hundreds of miles in a few hours with ease, or travel across the country in hours.

Last edited:
https://www.wistv.com/2020/04/01/state-representatives-call-gov-mcmaster-issue-stay-at-home-order/

These state representatives are calling for McMaster to order citizens to stay home. Doesn’t sound too controversial, until you read some of their comments. Representative Brawley (D) of Richland County wants “all public and private gatherings” banned, regardless of purpose. Representative Rose (D), also of Richland County, wants such a measure to be enforced by “force of law.” In plain English, they want the police to arrest you if you decide to leave the house. I’m all good with suggestions (I think we should practice social distancing, to be clear), but this is fascism. If I want to visit with family, go to my small office and earn a living, or freely exercise my religious faith with a few members of my church, I ought to be able to do it. This is still America, right? I’m perfectly fine with the government shutting down public places and private entities canceling events to slow the spread, but I don’t need the government telling me what’s best for me and threatening to lock me up if I don’t like it. People are so quick to give up their constitutional freedoms, it’s pathetic.
This is what I've been saying. Especially since the government has a history of making temporary changes permanent. Look at the aftermath of 9/11. We are the only major country with the ridiculous security at airports now. I've been to several others, and they don't have flights getting hijacked and bombed, and in some places you don't even need an ID card to fly domestically. The PATRIOT act takes away our freedoms, and entitles the government to collect data on you without proper preapproval as long as someone has "reasonable suspicion" (The essentially have to provide the thinnest of excuses for why it was done) and are able to detain people indefinitely with no right to trial, representation or hope of release for merely being suspected of terrorism. They also broadened the definition of the term "terrorism" to include several white collar crimes that can be loosely associated with Terrorism.

The USA PATRIOT act was supposed to go away after a while, and 19 years later, still hasn't. People are far too willing to give up their rights in the face of a little fear, and it disgusts me as an American Veteran who once gave my time and risked my life to protect those freedoms. I swore an oath (that has no expiration date attached) to protect the Constitution against all threats, both foreign and domestic. And there is little more threatening to our Constitution than the US government itself.

but I don’t need the government telling me what’s best for me and threatening to lock me up if I don’t like it. People are so quick to give up their constitutional freedoms, it’s pathetic.

I would agree if your actions didn’t threaten anyone else. But in this situation they would. Your “rights” don’t extend to harming someone else. Sorry.

It's not the Law, it's the People.

Each case, each situation, each incident will be different. A good time for all to learn and practice patients, common courtesy, common sense and respect for each other. How we, as a society, behave over the next few months will give us a pretty honest picture of where we currently are, as a culture, as a civilization. The nice part about that is, it won't be about opinions or what's politically correct. It's going to be real life and the survivors are going to see what really happened, first hand, without the BS and Rah Rah.

I would agree if your actions didn’t threaten anyone else. But in this situation they would. Your “rights” don’t extend to harming someone else. Sorry.

I’m with you there, I’m all for personal liberty to the extent that it doesn’t harm anyone else. I just fail to see how my actions threaten anyone. I’m not going out into crowded public places. I simply want to go to my small office (family business), visit with my family, perhaps go kayaking on the river by myself or with my wife, and potentially meet with members of my church in our houses. If we are all informed adults and willing to take the risks involved, who is getting hurt?

I am voluntarily doing all I can to stop the spread of the virus.I have 2 sons who are doctors and a daughter who is a nurse so I am all about safety.However, it is concerning when you see these government mandated orders come down.You might be OK with this one as some of you are,but what happens down the road if a President takes a very unpopular stance or makes a decision that a large majority don't agree with and also issues a stay at home order to quell unrest.Would this be acceptable?I look at how these things might turn out if a guy I don't agree with is making the order.If I can't abide by that then I don't support my guy making the same order.

I'm staying at home mostly but I have to go out for a walk/run to get some exercise. Surely that wouldn't be halted

Can you not admit people are being harmed by this lockdown? Millions of people out of work and more to go. Who knows how many bankruptcies. I read domestic abuse is significantly up, and we are just getting warmed up. No doubt suicides will be up too. Depression and anxiety up across the board. Kids missing out on education. Our nation significantly more in debt and therefore limiting our descendants’ ability to deal with future issues and decreasing their standard of living. You may think that is all perfectly worthwhile in your personal calculus, but for heaven’s sake don’t act like there is no harm with these policies. It’s an affront to all the people who are suffering over this.

Can you not admit people are being harmed by this lockdown? Millions of people out of work and more to go. Who knows how many bankruptcies. I read domestic abuse is significantly up, and we are just getting warmed up. No doubt suicides will be up too. Depression and anxiety up across the board. Kids missing out on education. Our nation significantly more in debt and therefore limiting our descendants’ ability to deal with future issues and decreasing their standard of living. You may think that is all perfectly worthwhile in your personal calculus, but for heaven’s sake don’t act like there is no harm with these policies. It’s an affront to all the people who are suffering over this.
People are f’ing dying! What’s the alternative here? Jesus - this isn’t a one dimensional issue. People will be harmed either way...

Don't worry, if you are arrested, after spending a couple days in the slammer, you will be released. The government is. after all, releasing criminals from prison due to COVID-19.

Why wouldn't the government release non-criminals from prison, too?

Reactions: Johnnie Cockran
People are f’ing dying! What’s the alternative here? Jesus - this isn’t a one dimensional issue. People will be harmed either way...
That is exactly what is said; harm either way. And personally I think we are discounting the widespread harm of a shutdown, with apparent talk of escalating it further as is the point of this thread. As for what to do, how about marking sure there are ventilators, beds, and protective equipment for hospital personal and then trying to reopen to world to mitigate all the collateral damage the shutdown is causing? I know, crazy right?

That is exactly what is said; harm either way. And personally I think we are discounting the widespread harm of a shutdown, with apparent talk of escalating it further as is the point of this thread. As for what to do, how about marking sure there are ventilators, beds, and protective equipment for hospital personal and then trying to reopen to world to mitigate all the collateral damage the shutdown is causing? I know, crazy right?

What you are saying is rational, not crazy. You know however, the media would slam any politician who decides to save the economy by reopening. There would be endless sad stories, and even exaggerated sad stories.

If we get into a debt laden depression, it could morph into a generational depression. That happened in the 30s, and in Japan in the 90s. There are some people who would not mind that, so long as they are the ones in power.

We're in uncharted waters...Unfortunately, stay-at-home orders, travel restrictions, etc. don't seem to be effective without enforcement and severe penalties for non-compliance (e.g., S. Korea, China)...Humans respond best to incentives, not wishful thinking.

Don't worry, if you are arrested, after spending a couple days in the slammer, you will be released. The government is. after all, releasing criminals from prison due to COVID-19.

Why wouldn't the government release non-criminals from prison, too?
Why would they bother to process the arrest of a FL church pastor when they're releasing actual criminals?

Reactions: 92Pony
Agree, but he didn't commit any crime. I was told by a sheriff deputy the other day, unless a suspect is charged with a violent felony, they're being booked and immediately released on a PR bond. No bail.

The saddest aspect of this statement is how fast people would actually stay home just to protect their beloved college football, moreso than their family and friends.
Fair statement, but I don't think it's because they value football over their family. For those who haven't yet been directly impacted by the virus hitting somebody they know/love (which is still the vast majority of the country at this point), the possibility of not having a football season might "bring this home" to them in a way that vague numbers on TV might not.

I am voluntarily doing all I can to stop the spread of the virus.I have 2 sons who are doctors and a daughter who is a nurse so I am all about safety.However, it is concerning when you see these government mandated orders come down.You might be OK with this one as some of you are,but what happens down the road if a President takes a very unpopular stance or makes a decision that a large majority don't agree with and also issues a stay at home order to quell unrest.Would this be acceptable?I look at how these things might turn out if a guy I don't agree with is making the order.If I can't abide by that then I don't support my guy making the same order.

Anytime you visit with family, you run the risk of spreading a virus to them, or them to you) that we have no immunity for.

I want to see my parents and my kids their grandparents, but now is not time.

personally, I think fishing, kayaking, etc alone should be allowed during any restrictions.

Reactions: Johnnie Cockran

Of course. It’s not easy for anyone. But it’s likely preferable to the alternative.

Anytime you visit with family, you run the risk of spreading a virus to them, or them to you) that we have no immunity for.

I want to see my parents and my kids their grandparents, but now is not time.

personally, I think fishing, kayaking, etc alone should be allowed during any restrictions.
At least there’s room for compromise. I’m ok with social distancing, especially from older or immunocompromised folks, but I want to be able to leave my house besides to go to the hospital, pharmacy, or grocery store without threat of arrest.

It's not the Law, it's the People.

Each case, each situation, each incident will be different. A good time for all to learn and practice patients, common courtesy, common sense and respect for each other. How we, as a society, behave over the next few months will give us a pretty honest picture of where we currently are, as a culture, as a civilization. The nice part about that is, it won't be about opinions or what's politically correct. It's going to be real life and the survivors are going to see what really happened, first hand, without the BS and Rah Rah.
So you think a disease that has affected less than 0.1% of the population with a 1-4% mortality rate (that will be about 2.8M deaths worldwide when it is all said and done at the current rates) will be enough to change society as a whole as if 20% of the population had been killed off? You think destroying the economy in fear and causing immeasurable damage to anyone who doesn't die from the virus is worth it? The virus will kill some people. The death of the economy will kill the country and as many more people through starvation and mental breaks. That's if we don't become so weak that we get invaded by an imperial minded China or Russia.

But when we talk about personal rights and harm to others, it's never that simple. There is no universally accepted definition of what it means to "harm others." And when we talk about harming others, do we mean an imminent threat to another individual, or a societal threat to others? Taken to the extreme, it's possible to craft a harm argument that could override _all_ our constitutional rights. Our national debates about abortion, the 2nd Amendment, marijuana, the ACA, social media, and a slew of other issues can turn on this balancing act between individual freedoms and "harming others." As an extreme international example, for about 30 years and until just a few years ago, China enforced its one-child policy, resulting in horrific and brutal human rights abuses, because the CCP determined the survival of the country depended on it. As I said, that's an extreme example, but it's a cautionary one about curtailing individual rights in the name of a collective good.

I don't claim to know where to draw the line in the current situation, but I do think it's a worthy non-partisan discussion to have. I think most of us agree that if an individual who tested positive for covid19 continues about his normal business, interacting with others, that person deserves prosecution. I'm a lot less comfortable arresting an otherwise healthy individual who goes for jog or a drive through the country. It is an important topic and I appreciate that this thread, so far, hasn't degenerated into the usual unproductive political hyperbole.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT