ADVERTISEMENT

Taters are so high and mighty LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
pbos11, do you know what a flagship university is ? If so give us your definition.

Playing a meaningless bowl game on a neutral field is a lot different than being a visitor in the real Death Valley on Saturday night and losing a close one to a then undefeated LSU.

The set up for that game was we had just beaten a highly ranked UGA 35-7 and had to go on the road the very next week
to play a highly ranked LSU team on the road. A late mistake spoiled the ride and a #1 ranking for the Gamecocks.

Big difference playing top 10 teams back to back versus a meaningless bowl game against a disappointed team that you had over a month to get ready for.

So are you saying USC bowl wins are meaningless or do we have a double standard going?

This is just me but in the 80s (and even today) I find transportation infractions tricky tacky. And Minor and Coder did not enroll, at Clemson or Tennessee. Like the homeboy in the sts article said, Clemson deserved its penalties but I don't think the NCAA's findings warranted vacating the season.

Then why were 7 starters on the University of North Carolina's football team suspended prior to the 2011 season by the conference? They would have easily won the ACC Championship that year if
allowed to play. They went 8-3 without them.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/6809612/butch-davis-
fired-north-carolina-football-coach

No doubt if those players had played in any games, the conference would have vacated those wins.....

Last edited:
So are you saying USC bowl wins are meaningless or do we have a double standard going?

A bowl game cannot compare to the intensity and difficulty of playing a top 10 conference rival in their stadium. The less time to prepare and the fact that the team is in contention for the conference and national championship ups the magnitude way over what a Chick Fil A bowl can offer...

I do like the Chick Fil A bowl but it is inferior to a regular season top 10 match up of undefeated teams...

A bowl game cannot compare to the intensity and difficulty of playing a top 10 conference rival in their stadium. The less time to prepare and the fact that the team is in contention for the conference and national championship ups the magnitude way over what a Chick Fil A bowl can offer...

I do like the Chick Fil A bowl but it is inferior to a regular season top 10 match up of undefeated teams...

I understand your reasoning between a regular season game and a bowl game, I'm referring to USC's bowl games in particular. Are the wins against Nebraska, Michigan, Wisconsin and Miami "meaningless." I often hear fans celebrate those victories as crowning achievements.

I understand your reasoning between a regular season game and a bowl game, I'm referring to USC's bowl games in particular. Are the wins against Nebraska, Michigan, Wisconsin and Miami "meaningless." I often hear fans celebrate those victories as crowning achievements.
Those wins are fun but you never know if you get your opponents best shot. Their are a lot of distractions for the players and time off from the grind of the season is close by.

You're just like Walt Deptula. After being wrong for so many years with your predictions that the SEC actually sucks despite what the polls say, you finally guessed right last year and you think it is permanent and you say see, I was right all along.

I finally guessed right huh? I think you're making a mighty big assumption that you were right all along as well. I'm not suggesting the SEC was never a strong conference. But I do believe the SEC rode their early success to propped up preseason polls...look no further than Ole Miss and Miss St.

I see where you're coming from and its a tricky situation. To me it looks like vacating wins shouldn't change the losers records to a win. Everybody know what really happened on the field anyways. But the main difference between this instance and the 81 NC is that the players involved did not play a snap during the season. But hey, maybe a whole bunch of players on that NC team were receiving illegal benefits but you can't assume anything

There is not anything tricky about it. Clemson had players on the 1981 team that started and should have never seen the field in 1981 or other seasons. Since they were not handled like UNC and Butch Davis were in 2011, the wins should be vacated.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...tch-davis-fired-north-carolina-football-coach

I rarely ever talk about Clemson stuff from the early 80s since I was to young to remember any of it. I did read the a few articles and two that stand out to me as just plain STUPID on the NCAAs part were.

1. An assistant coach picks up a prospect and his family(including his young child) after their car breaks down on their way to Clemson.
2. The instance(which Ford admits to) where they paid for the kids dental repairs after he knocked a tooth out at camp because his family had no medical insurance and no way to pay for the repairs. A penalty for that is just stupid stupid.

I agree those are stupid but I think we both know the violations went well beyond that. It's easy to cherry pick a few items and say they were no big deal but the violations went a lot further than that.

I agree those are stupid but I think we both know the violations went well beyond that. It's easy to cherry pick a few items and say they were no big deal but the violations went a lot further than that.

I never said a lot of them were not warranted. These are just one or two that stood out to me as dumb.

People forget, that game was as legit a National Championship elimination game as it gets - winner advances, loser is effectively gone. Add that to (the real) Death Valley at night, national TV, and it was about 1000X the intensity of the chicken sandwich bowl.

Out of 150 AFTER the NCAA said "uncle" and quit counting?

Dude, STFU!!!!

If you really believe the NCAA would "quit counting" anything then you are NUTS and likely dont live in the real world with the rest of us. Thats just a line made up by rival fans to try and rub it in. Like I said I was to young to be there and you probably were too. Those just happen to be two that stood out to me. I am sure there are many more examples of DUMBA$$ rules put in place by the NCAA that they deem violations. There are also some examples where being punished was justified. Those are two examples of how the world is not always black and white like they seem to think it should be. I must say though your very thought out argument added a ton to the conversation. You should post more often. You insight would add so much............

If you really believe the NCAA would "quit counting" anything then you are NUTS and likely dont live in the real world with the rest of us. Thats just a line made up by rival fans to try and rub it in. Like I said I was to young to be there and you probably were too. Those just happen to be two that stood out to me. I am sure there are many more examples of DUMBA$$ rules put in place by the NCAA that they deem violations. There are also some examples where being punished was justified. Those are two examples of how the world is not always black and white like they seem to think it should be. I must say though your very thought out argument added a ton to the conversation. You should post more often. You insight would add so much............

You mean like your reply to my post? As far as "quit counting" you can find the quotes from the NCAA if you really want to but that would destroy your little world, wouldn't it?

Dumb ass rules are what the NCAA was built on and how they make their money but don't confuse me with the uninformed or uneducated you may deal with daily.

People forget, that game was as legit a National Championship elimination game as it gets - winner advances, loser is effectively gone. Add that to (the real) Death Valley at night, national TV, and it was about 1000X the intensity of the chicken sandwich bowl.

Wrong again Einstein, as usual. That so called Computer Engineering/MBA degree you have doesn't help your true ignorance.

http://www.lsureveille.com/sports/f...cle_e9576f3a-180a-11e2-bd8e-0019bb30f31a.html

I rarely ever talk about Clemson stuff from the early 80s since I was to young to remember any of it. I did read the a few articles and two that stand out to me as just plain STUPID on the NCAAs part were.

1. An assistant coach picks up a prospect and his family(including his young child) after their car breaks down on their way to Clemson.
2. The instance(which Ford admits to) where they paid for the kids dental repairs after he knocked a tooth out at camp because his family had no medical insurance and no way to pay for the repairs. A penalty for that is just stupid stupid.

Why are these two instances stupid? Would a coach go pick up a NON student athlete on the way to campus, if their car broke down?? NO! Would the athletic dept. pay for the dental bills of a non student athlete who knocked out a tooth playing a game of pick up football somewhere on campus?? NO, and you KNOW they wouldn't. It's called improper benefits that regular students would never get. We (USC) got dinged for improper tutoring of a student athlete. That's how it works, and once you understand it, the rules won't seem so stupid. The problem is that the NCAA seems to play favorites and does not fairly enforce the penalties, or they just look the other way altogether at obvious stuff.

I think this we can possibly put this post to bed if we would all agree with the Taters. Their D will be better this year. Dabo exudes greatness. They will win the title next year. Their 81 title was legit. There's something special in those hills. Watson will win the Heisman. Will that get rid of you dolts? What is point of all your posts other than to post bunch of lies and then try to convince us they are true.

Mention Death Valley and football and 8/10 people will automatically think of LSU. Sorry, taters, apart from a few southern states, most people think klempsun is in GA...or NC. clemsux is irrelevant.

According to Clemson's recruiting, I'd suggest otherwise. But perhaps a Deon Cain, Mitch Hyatt, and Ray Ray McCloud (all out of state 5 stars) prefer to go to "irrelevant" schools. The opinion of a fan's perception of where Death Valley IS is largely irrelevant and not a measure of the program's success.

Mention Death Valley and football and 8/10 people will automatically think of LSU. Sorry, taters, apart from a few southern states, most people think klempsun is in GA...or NC. clemsux is irrelevant.

I would say it's more like 95% of CFB fans associate the name with LSU. Spend some time around the country and you'll quickly discover that most think clempson is in Alabama or Georgia. I never correct them...

Clemson football has not been irrelevant for 66 times against South Carolina...have they?

Clemson football has not been irrelevant for 66 times against South Carolina...have they?
Only to the kelmsux fans. And funny how you'll go back 100 years when it's convenient. If another school has beaten you more than 10 years ago, it doesn't count. Again, clemsux greatnesss is only in your own minds.

Talking about irrelevance

South Carolina mocks the ACC yet they proudly display an ACC championship banner. They mock the Big12 and yet a Big12 relocator has more SEC east titles in 3 years than they have in over 20 years of "participation" in the SEC. Not to mention they have winning records over only 3 SEC teams. That list includes world beaters like Vanderbilt, Kentucky, and Miss St. But hey... this is South Carolina football......

Reactions: LaidbackCat
Talking about irrelevance

South Carolina mocks the ACC yet they proudly display an ACC championship banner. They mock the Big12 and yet a Big12 relocator has more SEC east titles in 3 years than they have in over 20 years of "participation" in the SEC. Not to mention they have winning records over only 3 SEC teams. That list includes world beaters like Vanderbilt, Kentucky, and Miss St. But hey... this is South Carolina football......
CLEMSON vs.:

Alabama (3-12 remember what happened last time?)

Auburn (11-33)

Florida (3-9)

Georgia (17-41)

Kentucky (5-8, thanks to a Music City Bowl win)

LSU (1-2)

Mississippi (0-2)

Mississippi State (1-1-1)

Tennessee (6-11)

Vanderbilt (1-3)

Is that NO winning record against other SEC teams? Really?

clem still sux!

Reactions: funktavious
CLEMSON vs.:

Alabama (3-12 remember what happened last time?)

Auburn (11-33)

Florida (3-9)

Georgia (17-41)

Kentucky (5-8, thanks to a Music City Bowl win)

LSU (1-2)

Mississippi (0-2)

Mississippi State (1-1-1)

Tennessee (6-11)

Vanderbilt (1-3)

Is that NO winning record against other SEC teams? Really?

clem still sux!

This history doesn't include the stats South Carolina's glorious 2014 football season.

In the 70 seasons South Carolina has been affiliated with a conference, they have won that conference once...the ACC in 1969, with a 7-4 record. Since the Associated Press began ranking football teams in 1936, the coots have finished in the Top 20 of the rankings only eight times in those 78 years. South Carolina has finished in the Top 10 of a major recognized poll...THREE times, in 2011, 2012 and 2013, the best seasons in their entire history with 11 wins. In 2011 the entire team received rings for going 11-2 and for finishing a tough, hard fought 5th place in the SEC. As they say in tee ball, everyone is a winner. This is South Carolina football !

The first year of Gamecock football was in 1892, South Carolina won its first bowl game 103 years later under BRAD SCOTT. In 122 seasons of football, South Carolina never participated in a pre-BCS major bowl (Rose, Fiesta, Orange, Cotton, and Sugar) and has yet to receive a BCS invite. As South Carolina set to begin its 123rd season of collegiate football, they have won 11 or more games in a single season only three times. In 122 seasons, South Carolina has won more games than it lost only 58 times. In 122 seasons, South Carolina has won more than 6 games in a season 25 times, and lost 6 or more 38 times. This is South Carolina football !

South Carolina has had 33 different head coaches in its storied tradition...only six of them have stayed longer than 5 seasons, while 21 of them have losing records. "It's another Carolina Touchdown!?"…not quite. Of the 56 programs, which have played more than 1000 games all-time, only four have scored fewer points than South Carolina in their schools history. This is South Carolina football !

Since joining the SEC in 1992, South Carolina has had a winning record in the conference seven times in 22 years. Although South Carolina has yet to win the SEC, they have finished 0-8 in the conference twice. South Carolina has won six conference games in a season only three times. Only Kentucky, Ole Miss, and Vanderbilt have less 6 conference win seasons. This is South Carolina football !

Of the most memorable moments in their history is the fact that South Carolina went two consecutive seasons without winning one conference game. That's right, not one. South Carolina had an impressive string of 21 consecutive games with a loss snapped in 2000 by beating New Mexico State (and to let the rest of the country know what South Carolina football was all about, their fans commenced to tear down the goal-posts. No, I am not kidding). This is South Carolina football !

Since 1992, only three times has any non-probation member of the conference failed to win two or more games overall in a season…South Carolina has accomplished this feat twice, Kentucky once. Since 1992, only once has a conference member failed to win a game overall in a single season…you guessed it, South Carolina. South Carolina's all-time record versus other current conference members is even more impressive: 3-12 vs Alabama, 9-13 vs Arkansas, 1-9-1 vs Auburn, 7-24-3 vs Florida, 16-44-2 vs Georgia, 16-8-1 vs Kentucky, 2-17-1 vs LSU, 7-8 vs Ole Miss, 9-6 vs Mississippi St., 7-24-2 vs Tennessee, and 19-4 vs Vanderbilt. That's correct, South Carolina leads the all-time series against 3 SEC teams...Kentucky, Miss St. and Vanderbilt. This is South Carolina football !

But, the comparison of only 22 seasons in one conference does no justice to the tradition of South Carolina football. Comparing the coot's record versus D-1A schools they have played 15 or more times: 40-61-4 vs Clemson, 17-24-3 vs Duke, 7-24-3 vs Florida, 16-44-2 vs Georgia, 9-11 vs Georgia Tech, 11-17 vs Maryland, 19-32-4 vs North Carolina, 3-16 vs Florida State, 7-24-2 vs Tennessee, 21-12-1 vs Virginia, and 34-20-2 vs Wake Forest. That's correct, South Carolina leads the all-time series against 2 of these 11 teams...Virginia and Wake Forest. This is South Carolina football !

Gamecock fans justify their horrible football record thru the strength of the SEC conference. But let's look at the Gamecock's record against the other big 5 conferences. South Carolina is 160-173-15 vs the ACC, 4-7 vs the Big 12, 7-17 vs the Big East, 6-5 vs the Big Ten and 1-1 vs Pac12. This is South Carolina Football !

2003 was the season that the coots would rebuild and compete for a SEC title with their consecutive top 10 recruiting classes. Yet, they finished the season with another sub 500 performance. That season ended with a 63-17 thumping at home from archrival Clemson. This is South Carolina football !

In 2005 a new era began for the Gamecocks as they hire legendary coach Steve Spurrier. They opened up their wallets (and another grave plot in their cemetery of washed up head coaches) for what surely would be the coach to get them on the road to glory. After 6 seasons under coach Spurrier the Gamecocks have yet to win the SEC and have seen 45 players and coaches arrested. This is South Carolina football !

In 2007 the Gamecocks got off to a roaring 6-1 start after beating #12 Georgia and #8 Kentucky. Surely this would be the year that all the Gamecock faithful had been yearning for. It was finally the "Next Year"! But hold the presses. After beating #8 Kentucky and garnering a rank as high as #6 in the country, those Gamecocks lost to lowly Vanderbilt that started a Gamecock trademarked "fall from grace" to lose their last 5 games and finish 6-6 for the season. This is South Carolina football !

The very next season, in 2008, those South Carolina Gamecocks got right back up and at it again beginning the season with a 7-2 record. But again those BCS hopes were dashed by a 56-6 drumming by the Florida Gators. South Carolina would go on to lose their last 3 games of the season to finish 7-5. This is South Carolina football !

In 2009, with rival Clemson clinching the Atlantic Division in the ACC, the South Carolina Gamecocks had lost 3 straight and were sitting on a 6-5 record. When those Tigers came to town, those Gamecocks took advantage of turnovers and dampened the mood for the ACC Championship bound Tigers…. "Was this the end of the dreaded Chicken Curse?" the faithful coots prayed. But Ol' Pitchfork Ben Tillman could only chuckle as UConn slammed the Gamecocks 20-7 in the Papa Johns.com bowl. This is South Carolina football !

In 2010 the Gamecocks got off to yet another historical start with a 9-3 record. They finally managed to win the SEC East division title. "This is it!" Gamecock fans exclaimed. "This is the moment that we have all been waiting for! The SEC Championship game in Atlanta!" The gamecocks, as 9-3 SEC East Champions, hoped to defeat Auburn in the SEC Championship game for their first conference title since winning the ACC in 1969! But that was not to be as Auburn pounded the Gamecocks 56-17 to set the largest margin of defeat in an SEC Championship game. The Gamecocks would go on to lose the Chick Fil A bowl to Florida State 26-17. This is South Carolina football !

As starting QB for South Carolina from 2009-2011, Stephen Garcia had managed 3 arrests, 5 different suspensions and never missed one minute of playing time. In the summer of 2011, the reason behind Garcia's behavior and lack of punishment became crystal clear to all the critics. An incident occurred that explained everything to those wondering how a young man could get away with so much. With Garcia already serving an indefinite suspension for violation of team rules, on July 26th, 2011 Quarterbacks coach G.A. Mangus was arrested in Greenville, SC after urinating on Main Street. G.A. was immediately suspended indefinitely by Coach Spurrier. Seven days later both G.A. and Garcia were reinstated to the team on the same day, just in time for the start of fall camp. This is South Carolina football !

The 2011 season brought yet another heart break for those poor Gamecocks. In 2011 the Gamecocks went 11-2 with a bowl win over Nebraska. However, they became the first collegiate football team in history to defeat all of their division rivals but still lose their division. They also became the first team in history to defeat all of their division rivals and finish 5th or worse in overall conference play. "But that's ok", they say. "We have our 5th place rings." This is South Carolina football !

In 2012, the Fighting Gamecocks once again beat the SEC East division winner only to be left out of the SECCG once again. This is South Carolina Football !

2013 started out with a great optimism for Gamecock nation but was brought to reality quickly after a loss to UGA, who lost to Clemson the week before. When things couldn't get any worse, SC loses to a pathetic Tennessee team on a last minute field goal. The up and down season drove Coach Spurrier to drink as he filmed a coaches show drunk. The Gamecocks, once again defeating the eventual SEC East Champion, were left out of a trip to Atlanta. Meanwhile, rival Clemson became the first and only team from the state of SC to play in and win a BCS game. This is South Carolina Football !

7233 it is nice to have a secret fan like you. Your obsession over USC is kind of scary. There is a big bright world out there, try to enjoy it.

Sounds like 7233 is the "Phyllis" of Clemson football.

I love it when Gamecock fans unite and produce fact and truthful common sense opinion so much so that it infuriates Clemson supporters like 7223 and brings out the true darker side....

It is still great to be a Gamecock!!!

Reactions: mUSCle Gamecock
you know call me crazy but I love it when the Tillmans start breaking out their cute little history lesson for the 10,000th time. The mental masturbation might make them feel good, but it reminds everyone else they have nothing going on NOW to talk about

Is it possible for mental midgets to mentally masturbate on a message board? I thought only orange football players running down a hill caused that.

'Problem players' are not welcome in the SEC: The SEC passed legislation prohibiting any player subject to disciplinary action at his previous school.

this thread is like a bad rash....you scratch it some and it gets worse

Morgan, being a supporter of an ACC school makes it understandable why you barn dwellers pride yourselves so much on beating LSU in the Chick Filla and squeaking by UGA at home . Those games were played several years ago and you are still bragging about them because to you, it's such a big thing, you do not get the chance to play teams of this caliber very often. We don't brag about being elite when we beat UGA , we play them every year winning four of the last six. We play LSU again this year as part of our regular schedule. Have you ever been to Baton Rouge on a Saturday nite for football, hell no 'cause you belong to the ACC. You rave about beating OSU when they were still a work in progress because you do not play teams like this in your ACC. No, we don't get hyper after beating Nebraska, Michigan or Wisconsin in bowl games cause we play better teams in our conference schedule every year. Your mindset like most Tater fans is to hype everything you do in hopes of being counted among the elite one day but I doubt if you ever do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT