ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Herman

castlesl

Aug 4, 2006
Not that i feel sorry for him or anything, but how in the world can you go sit in a kids home with his parents and tell them with a straight face that the university believes in him? Don't they have to fire him? Who are they going to hire?

I wonder if that was kind of how Will felt at the end of last year.

If you’re Texas you hire anybody you want . Urban , Stoops , Captain America , Chuck Norris etc etc . For us it’s a tad different . If you look at Hermans overall record he would be a hero here . That’s why we are USC and Texas is still Texas .

If you’re Texas you hire anybody you want . Urban , Stoops , Captain America , Chuck Norris etc etc . For us it’s a tad different . If you look at Hermans overall record he would be a hero here . That’s why we are USC and Texas is still Texas .
lol! im going w/ chuck norris! proven winner

Sounds like Urban is not that interested in the UT job. Saw an email yesterday on a friends phone who is a UT Alumni and well connected. Texas offered Meyer a 7yr/$84M contract and he turned it down. So they better get use to Herman, or find someone else.

Texass’ has some of the most arrogant, entitled fans in college sports. They get what they deserve! We wanted Herman, Smart, and Fuentes wasn’t interested. Of the three, Smart is doing the best, but imo does less (results) with more (talent) than almost any other coach in college football.

Sounds like Urban is not that interested in the UT job. Saw an email yesterday on a friends phone who is a UT Alumni and well connected. Texas offered Meyer a 7yr/$84M contract and he turned it down. So they better get use to Herman, or find someone else.
If Herman stays long enough, he'll have them in the playoffs.

Interesting take from Tom Luginbill the recruiting analyst,who said Texas doesn't have talent as good as everyone thinks.Texas normally gets the pick of the top high school players in Texas,usually committed as 10th and 11th graders.According to Luginbill because of the resources available in Teaxas HS football such as incredible weight rooms,15 assistant coaches on a team.etc.The Texas kids tend to max out or be finished products when they leave HS.They don't develop like the kids from a Baylor or Oklahoma State might.Might explain why you don't see many UT kids drafted high.Just his opinion,but an interesting one I thought.

Interesting take from Tom Luginbill the recruiting analyst,who said Texas doesn't have talent as good as everyone thinks.Texas normally gets the pick of the top high school players in Texas,usually committed as 10th and 11th graders.According to Luginbill because of the resources available in Teaxas HS football such as incredible weight rooms,15 assistant coaches on a team.etc.The Texas kids tend to max out or be finished products when they leave HS.They don't develop like the kids from a Baylor or Oklahoma State might.Might explain why you don't see many UT kids drafted high.Just his opinion,but an interesting one I thought.
Perverse but plausible in a theoretical sort of way.

Except Urban already told them to kick rocks. That is what the OP is referring to- how can the sitting coach go recruit players with any confidence when everyone in America knows they tried to hire Meyer while Herman was still working there!?!?

Not really. Urban just told them to pound sand. Saban rebuffed them several years back. They THINK they can get whoever they want, but their expectations don’t match up with reality.

They really stepped in it with this Urban/Herman situation. They let it get so public, probably hoping to generate media buzz around Urban being hired. They got rejected and there are no other A-list candidates out there. Now they’re stuck with a fairly successful coach who knows they don’t want him there and that they tried and failed to replace him.

The way this situation was handled makes Ray look like a total genius.

Last edited:
Except Urban already told them to kick rocks. That is what the OP is referring to- how can the sitting coach go recruit players with any confidence when everyone in America knows they tried to hire Meyer while Herman was still working there!?!?
Sounds a lot like the Bobby Lowder/Turberville situation at Auburn doesn't it?

I had to go look up Lowder TBH... I vaguely remember that, but at least they tried to keep it secret right? Texas was basically pursuing Urban with headlines in USA Today and Sportscenter! 😂
Yeah, they "tried" to keep it a secret....at least officially. It got out pretty quickly IIRC, so I'm not sure how hard Lowder tried to keep it hush-hush.

Yeah, they "tried" to keep it a secret....at least officially. It got out pretty quickly IIRC, so I'm not sure how hard Lowder tried to keep it hush-hush.
You know old rich boys like that love to name drop! Get one bourbon in him to this day and I bet he starts in with “That reminds me of the time I threw the AD in my jet and said “”we r goin to buy us a new coach””- we go hauling ass up to Louisville to talk to Bobby..”...

• Haha
Reactions: rogue cock
You know old rich boys like that love to name drop! Get one bourbon in him to this day and I bet he starts in with “That reminds me of the time I threw the AD in my jet and said “”we r goin to buy us a new coach””- we go hauling ass up to Louisville to talk to Bobby..”...
LMAO. I can see that exactly happening.

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer
They are in a pickle since so much publicity was given to them pursuing Urban that keeping Herman makes him look like a lame duck, but I don’t know that they’re going to get a replacement who is better and will fit in there. Matt Campbell is reportedly not interested in UT and is looking at Michigan instead. Urban isn’t happening and I don’t see Day agreeing to leave the Buckeyes or even Mullen leaving Florida for Austin. James Franklin could be looking for a way out of Penn State but I’m not sure about his personality meshing with the Texas HS folks. If they can’t pull, say, Matt Rhule from the Panthers or, desperately, Chip Kelly, then they should stand pat, or get real bold and roll the dice on Jeff Traylor at UTSA, who has had a massive turnaround this year and is beloved in Texas HS football.

Finished products? They are still growing. NFL players even develop in their first few years. This is a ludicrous proposition.

Reactions: DibbleDee
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT