ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal Thread 2024

If we were in a bowl, who would play RB?? How does a mid tier SEC program, best conference in America, get to this point?

It almost feels like its a new football program starting for the first time next year with how many fresh faces there will have to be playing.

Any word on KZ Adams, RB from Gray Collegiate, originally from West Columbia? Former Mr Football runner up that Broke the Stephen Davis TD record I think. Hear he would love to wear the Garnet and Black.

Peter Nakos (On3) is reporting that South Carolina WR transfer Juice Wells is expected to visit both Texas and Ole Miss this weekend.

Orangebloods confirmed earlier in the week that Wells is one of several WR targets that the Longhorns have an interest in.

• Angry
Reactions: cockofdawn
That’s going to be the norm going forward for any program that fires a coach.

Will be interesting to see if Elko is actually a good coach or just got lucky at Duke.
He is a good coach. You can't get lucky at Duke. Since Spurrier few have ever been successful. Maybe Cutcliffe for a minute.

Right now, we are tied with Vanderbilt for the most players in the SEC entering the portal. We are tied at 6th in the nation. There's something wrong in our football program for that to be the case.
Lik ei Said, and was attacked, maybe these players arent as "In Love" with coach Beamer like the public was led to believe!!

Reactions: uscwatson21
Lik ei Said, and was attacked, maybe these players arent as "In Love" with coach Beamer like the public was led to believe!!

Maybe the "family" sales pitch is just that.

Regardless, it's not a good look to be constantly seeing this many players bail.

Reactions: cockofdawn
I would almost have a little more respect for the defectors if they truthfully explained why they are leaving.

Reactions: usc_nc
I would almost have a little more respect for the defectors if they truthfully explained why they are leaving.

Some are obvious, they are searching for more money. Others? I can't expect everyone to air dirty laundry on their way out the door. I expect a certain level of "coachspeak" in their comments.

These threads burn up when peeps are leaving. Get a little good news and the board goes quiet. I’ll take the 2 for 1 - instant RB upgrade. . 1 is better than we had. I’d say the other is at least equal. Prob better. Time will tell.

I like the added experience for the new WR. - still need 1-2 more play makers at that position.

The other portal guys are fairly solid pick ups as well. It’s not like we’re taking scraps. We gave up 2-3 decent players to the portal and looking to add better talent.

My 2 cents on Mario. Good for him. That kid has put in the work. He deserves everything he can get. It’s not like he’s been coasting while at Newberry. No doubt he’s ready and probably needs the money more than most. Let him go get it. Plus. He probably was told we would be adding RB from portal. Probably even knew from Dowell that the kid from Ark was coming in.

Anyway. Happy Thursday. Y’all try to have a positive weekend.

These threads burn up when peeps are leaving. Get a little good news and the board goes quiet.
I'm honestly surprised by the reaction from some of the fanbase. There seems to be an assumption that getting anyone means we're moving in the right direction. You would think after seeing the results on the field we would quit claiming to win the offseason so quickly.

I’ll take the 2 for 1 - instant RB upgrade. . 1 is better than we had. I’d say the other is at least equal. Prob better. Time will tell.
Is he? One missed most of the season with injury and in his game severely underperformed our existing RB. He did have one great season under a great offensive coordinator when he was 25 lbs lighter. Is he a great RB or a product of Briles?

It’s not like we’re taking scraps. We gave up 2-3 decent players to the portal and looking to add better talent.

So far we've gotten players from North Texas, Coastal Carolina, and Vanderbilt. Then backups from Pittsburgh and Arkansas. Is taking talent from teams worse than us really going to get us to the next level?

I'm honestly surprised by the reaction from some of the fanbase. There seems to be an assumption that getting anyone means we're moving in the right direction. You would think after seeing the results on the field we would quit claiming to win the offseason so quickly.

Is he? One missed most of the season with injury and in his game severely underperformed our existing RB. He did have one great season under a great offensive coordinator when he was 25 lbs lighter. Is he a great RB or a product of Briles?

So far we've gotten players from North Texas, Coastal Carolina, and Vanderbilt. Then backups from Pittsburgh and Arkansas. Is taking talent from teams worse than us really going to get us to the next level?
I saw Uva’s podcast yesterday. I’ve never seen him so giddy. I thought we may have signed Clowney again.

Most fan bases do this though.

The guys leaving were all bad apples and attitude problems. The guys coming in are all diamonds in the rough, just waiting to explode.

It's like the July/August bump in expectations. Now, people are talking about getting to 6 wins. In July/August we'll work ourselves up to 8, 9 or even 10 wins in some predictions.

Okay? I’m assuming you were negative when we signed Mario from Newberry and Wells from James Madison?

Okay? I’m assuming you were negative when we signed Mario from Newberry and Wells from James Madison?

Not who you were asking, but my answer would be that I'm not necessarily negative about each incident, but a trend of dipping into lower levels. I worry about that being our main source of transfers.

They can't all be homeruns and diamonds in the rough that no other coaching staff happened to notice. I guess I can say that I see it happening occasionally, but not consistently.

Seriously doubt anyone on here would show respect if a player on his way out echoed what many say on this board. "The staff is in over their head, I'm not getting the proper coaching, and we won't be competing for anything significant in the short time while I'm here, so with that said I'm taking my talent elsewhere". Thanks for all your support.

Last edited:
Seriously doubt anyone on here would have respect if a player on his way out echoed what many say on this board. "The staff is in over their head, I'm not getting the proper coaching, and we won't be competing for anything significant in the short time while I'm here, so with that said I'm taking my talent elsewhere". Thanks for all your support.

The pumpers would never believe them.

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock
Not who you were asking, but my answer would be that I'm not necessarily negative about each incident, but a trend of dipping into lower levels. I worry about that being our main source of transfers.

They can't all be homeruns and diamonds in the rough that no other coaching staff happened to notice. I guess I can say that I see it happening occasionally, but not consistently.

Precisely. People talk about Juice and Mario but ignore Tuazama, Geer, Willis, Elksinis, Fugar, Rucker, Carroll...

Is the RB room upgraded this portal season? Almost assuredly. But that's really just a reflection on how bad the RB room was. But now people are arguing we should keep our existing RB coach.

Reactions: Lurker123
The pumpers would never believe them.

Many of the players transferring probably are interesting in being paid. Even $25K a year would be extremely meaningful to college kids. Even if you remove the money factor, the no-wait portal has created a timeshare situation for schools like us. If you can't pay them enough and you're not on a annual path to the playoffs, why wouldn't they move around frequently?

I'll ask once again and see if you can come up with anything once again. How do we go 10-2 in first quarters with the toughest schedule in the country if our coaching sucks? That's easily enough games to rule out it being an anomaly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT