ADVERTISEMENT

What Coach Muschamp can’t and will not say because he has integrity!!

Burninlove

Mar 28, 2013
He can’t come out and say that we don’t have the talent on defense yet but it’s coming!
He can’t say he inherited a thin group of talent and is doing the best with what he’s got.
He can’t be negative because he is the face of the team. He can’t say, I can’t make them tackle and they are blowing coverage and missed assignments.
He can’t say they keep missing great passes. Etc...
He can’t say I wish I had 5 more players like kinlaw and 6 more like horn!,
The man has to take all the heat from fans who can say what ever they want and scrutinize him for everything. Just like spurrier and golf. Always an excuse!
What he did say last year is for teams enjoy beating us because that is going to change. Let him get his Hilsinki’s and our defensive of recruits in. The winds of change are coming so let him do his thing. I BELIEVE!!!!!!!!

He can’t come out and say that we don’t have the talent on defense yet but it’s coming!
He can’t say he inherited a thin group of talent and is doing the best with what he’s got.
He can’t be negative because he is the face of the team. He can’t say, I can’t make them tackle and they are blowing coverage and missed assignments.
The man has to take all the heat from fans who can say what ever they want and scrutinize him for everything. Just like spurrier and golf. Always an excuse!
What he did say last year is for teams enjoy beating us because that is going to change. Let him get his Hilsinki’s and our defensive of recruits in. The winds of change are coming so let him do his thing. I BELIEVE!!!!!!!!

There were a lot of posts about last week that you must not have read. A lot of us watched Boston College tackle Clemson players very well all night. You really think BC has more talented players than SCs on defense? According to your argument, he HAS to get a bunch of 4 stars in before the defense can be any good at tackling. I wonder how BC does it? And there are other examples as well. BC isn't the only one.

BC’s Coach has his players. What I’m saying is that he is taking the heat for the lack of talent and lack of skills on his team now. He hasn’t blamed anyone on the team and blames coaching. When it’s clearly talent. When he gets his recruits in here there will be a difference. Until then he will have to be Politically Correct. In two years there will be a difference.

I agree 100%, spurriers comments before he left and how he left caused the destruction of what he had built. We were having decommitments on weekly basis. Many of our commitments that did sign, did not have the grades to qualify and ended up going to Jr. College. Then we we were forced to sign a lot o 2* players. Muschamp didn’t have a lot to work with when he got here. Spurrier is probably the best coach we have ever had but he left us in horrible shape. I love Spurrier but truth is truth. We can’t blame Muschamp for everything. I think he deserves time. I believe he will bring us back. Gamecock fans need face reality, we are not Clemson, Clemson plays in a pathetically weak conference and gets all the recruits that wants to play in the a she she. South Carolina is going to take a while to get back. We have very little depth at key positions. Recruiting takes time.

He has not done a bad job so far. It could of been better, it could have been worse. After 2.75 seasons, I give him a B -
The good side is, he has us going to bowl # 3 in season # 3. The bad news is we have lost a few games we should have won.

Another thing that Muschamp can’t say is that he has proven he can be an SEC caliber HEAD coach .
Another thing that Muschamp can’t say is that he hasn’t proven he can get those better players to sign at USC.
Another thing that Muschamp can’t say is that he can be somewhat competitive against ranked teams .

I agree he inherited a mess but it is YEAR 3 !!! We have the worst defense in school history . We have never showed up in a big game in his tenure . Not asking him to win against those teams , just asking for him to compete . Where are those 5 stars guys he said he would land?? We have the 9th ranked class in the conference !!! We already had one 4 Star CB decommit and a 4 Star RB for 2020 just Decommit. I know it takes time to build but at some point you gotta realize that he is what he is . Guys like Holtz and Spurrier had proven track records of building programs from the ground up multiple times . What qualifications and past history has Muschamp shown in this area ?? He works hard and talks a great game but results are results . Maybe the problem is he’s not saying those things when he should . Saban or Harbaugh never have a problem with it .

BC’s Coach has his players. What I’m saying is that he is taking the heat for the lack of talent and lack of skills on his team now. He hasn’t blamed anyone on the team and blames coaching. When it’s clearly talent. When he gets his recruits in here there will be a difference. Until then he will have to be Politically Correct. In two years there will be a difference.

Are you watching our redshirt freshman and soph who are "his players" trying to tackle?

Another thing that Muschamp can’t say is that he has proven he can be an SEC caliber HEAD coach .
Another thing that Muschamp can’t say is that he hasn’t proven he can get those better players to sign at USC.
Another thing that Muschamp can’t say is that he can be somewhat competitive against ranked teams .

I agree he inherited a mess but it is YEAR 3 !!! We have the worst defense in school history . We have never showed up in a big game in his tenure . Not asking him to win against those teams , just asking for him to compete . Where are those 5 stars guys he said he would land?? We have the 9th ranked class in the conference !!! We already had one 4 Star CB decommit and a 4 Star RB for 2020 just Decommit. I know it takes time to build but at some point you gotta realize that he is what he is . Guys like Holtz and Spurrier had proven track records of building programs from the ground up multiple times . What qualifications and past history has Muschamp shown in this area ?? He works hard and talks a great game but results are results . Maybe the problem is he’s not saying those things when he should . Saban or Harbaugh never have a problem with it .
Mecose Todd thing was mutual. The staff hasn’t contacted him in a few months.

It’s year 3. I expected a good tackling defense. Tackling has been bad throughout his tenure. Especially in the secondary where they still seem to be trying to figure out where to line up at this late date. Sorry, it is reasonable to expect better now.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
He says we don’t have the talent all the time. When a coach says you fix A, B or C by recruiting you’re implying the current roster doesn’t have the talent to accomplish your goals. When you say you’re in a rebuild, it means your building the roster. He has mentioned all this time and time again

Reactions: Goldhunter
I think what we're seeing here is that Spurrier left the program in worse shape than most realized. It will take WM a while to dig out of that. But I think he's on his way to doing that. Think of this... it only take 4-5 years for a school to lose any street cred it may have had. The players WM recruits today were 10-13 years old when Spurrier had that good run here. This program has never been relevant to those youngsters. So WM has a heck of a sales job with each one he goes after. Give him time.

It’s year 3. I expected a good tackling defense. Tackling has been bad throughout his tenure. Especially in the secondary where they still seem to be trying to figure out where to line up at this late date. Sorry, it is reasonable to expect better now.
Same here. I thought we'd be fundamentally sounds, even if we lacked talent. Disciplined, toughness and fundamentals were the very least I'd expect from a Muschamp coached team.

As fun as it is to think we live in a black/white either/or society it's just not true. In this case it's not one or the other. It's a little bit of both - lack of talent and poor coaching.

Missed tackles of the kind we've seen this year are a mostly a coaching issue, and a little bit of a talent/depth issue.

Should the defense be better? Absolutely. Some of it talent/depth. A lot of it is coaching.

I do agree that Spurrier left a mess but honestly I don’t see that much improvement especially on the Defensive side of the ball . That 3-9 team was in pretty much every game including the eventual national champ . Not to mention with a walk on QB and a interim coach . Yes the Citadel loss was brutal but you guys remember the ULM game last year ?? Only a miracle catch by Edward saved us . Across the board I don’t see any more incoming talent in Muschamps last two classes as Spurrier’s . Honestly besides Horn name me one player that has been an absolute difference maker from this freshman class . Go back to last year and do the same . We got some solid pieces but no stars . Look across the country .. Tua , Fromm , Etienne , Higgins .. all Sophmores . Trevor is lighting it up as a True Freshman . The only reason Muschamp was hired was on his recruiting and defensive reputation. Not seeing either yet . I definitely think he deserves two more years but I don’t think it’s gonna be pretty .

Go Tigers

I do agree that Spurrier left a mess but honestly I don’t see that much improvement especially on the Defensive side of the ball . That 3-9 team was in pretty much every game including the eventual national champ . Not to mention with a walk on QB and a interim coach . Yes the Citadel loss was brutal but you guys remember the ULM game last year ?? Only a miracle catch by Edward saved us . Across the board I don’t see any more incoming talent in Muschamps last two classes as Spurrier’s . Honestly besides Horn name me one player that has been an absolute difference maker from this freshman class . Go back to last year and do the same . We got some solid pieces but no stars . Look across the country .. Tua , Fromm , Etienne , Higgins .. all Sophmores . Trevor is lighting it up as a True Freshman . The only reason Muschamp was hired was on his recruiting and defensive reputation. Not seeing either yet . I definitely think he deserves two more years but I don’t think it’s gonna be pretty .
Why do you keep using logic and facts on this board??? Nobody wants to hear it.

In all honesty, it should take more than 3 years to rebuild a defense that had very little SEC talent. 25 recruits/year means you only can get 10-15/year for the defense. Not all will develop into SEC starters/backups. How many do you need to have quality depth? Seems like 25-35. If 2/3 of your defensive recruits develop into SEC starts/backeups, that's 6-10/recruiting cycle. It could take a coach more than 4 years to get some quality depth, depending on how accurate his evaluation is.

Sigh. I listened to the same talk about spurrier after year 3.
Will Muschamp work out? I don’t know but if we had run Spurrier off in year 3 (like a lot of fans wanted) where would we be now?

He has not done a bad job so far. It could of been better, it could have been worse. After 2.75 seasons, I give him a B -
The good side is, he has us going to bowl # 3 in season # 3. The bad news is we have lost a few games we should have won.

Not on a knock on your post, but I do remember growing up in the 60's and 70's when going to a bowl game actually meant something. The Outback Bowl is fine (9 hours), but I am not driving another 12 hours one way to get to Memphis. Been there, done that. As for Birmingham, even if I had relatives close by, I would never go back there. Legion Field is the same field our High School team (Dothan, AL) played at in 1974 and 1975 for the State Championship. What a hole.

One interesting stat I heard is that with a wins over Chattanooga and Akron, Muschamp will have the most wins by a South Carolina coach in their first 3 years. Win vs Chattanooga will tie him with Spurrier. Also the only coach to take South Carolina to bowls in their first 3 years.

The bowls don't mean a ton and only Spurrier and Muschamp have coached in the ERA of 12 regular season games, but take it what you will.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT