ADVERTISEMENT

What was the rainiest game you ever attended at W-B? Let's get them all out of the way. LOL!

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
The rainiest game I ever attended at W-B was a UGA game in the early 70s with one of my cousins. Gosh, I don't even think they were calling for rain because we weren't dressed for rain. Man the flood gates opened and water poured down the aisles in the stadium. We were sitting in the West Upper and my cousin was wearing a tan suede blazer and it had rained so hard that one could see the a water mark about half way up his blazer- and he was tall, too, over 6.0' tall.

I remember him saying that the blazer would have to be sent to NYC to be cleaned. I'm sure it wouldn't have to be sent to NYC today but that was in the early 70s.

Not W-B, but Lou's first game in Raliegh, in a tropical storm.

At W-B, been in a few good ones before the "suspended for lighting" era started.

The wettest was last year, with no rain gear, the game where we started playing better in the rain. Everybody was soaking wet and giddy as all get out.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay

At W-B, been in a few good ones before the "suspended for lighting" era started.

The wettest was last year, with no rain gear, the game where we started playing better in the rain. Everybody was soaking wet and giddy as all get out.

What game was that?

Against Notre Dame and I don't remember the year. They got humbled and I got totally soaked and stayed the entire game.

The 1999 game in Raleigh played during a hurricane. 10-0 State if I recall. Watson had a breakaway and was caught from behind.

I didn't attend that game but one of my cousins and his wife did attend. Like several others have stated by cousin said it was the rainiest game period he had ever attended.

Reactions: ruffledfeathers
Not at Williams-Brice, but Lou's first game as our coach was in a monsoon up in Raleigh. I was at that one, also. Knowing that a tropical storm was coming in, we took extra clothes and shoes. Otherwise, that long trip back to Lancaster would have been unbearable. That was sideways rain the whole ballgame. The thing I remember is that water never stood on their field, unlike on our field in the ECU and UK games mentioned above. They had some kind of prescription turf drainage system that we didn't have at that time.

1992 when we kept missing field goals?

I believe it was ‘95. Their RB Harley had a massive game. Just saw your above post. It may have been ‘96.

I remember we had one play where our WR was wide open and Wright threw to him, and it bounced off his hands like a brick. Impossible to throw the ball. We couldn’t run or tackle in that one.

And ECU fans are nuts already. Boy they were insane after that one. Those downpour have a way of bringing out the craziness in people.

Moe Williams, like many opposing players against us, did have a huge day. It did rain that day, but nothing like the ECU game.

Last edited:
Reactions: mavcock
Not at Williams-Brice, but Lou's first game as our coach was in a monsoon up in Raleigh. I was at that one, also. Knowing that a tropical storm was coming in, we took extra clothes and shoes. Otherwise, that long trip back to Lancaster would have been unbearable. That was sideways rain the whole ballgame. The thing I remember is that water never stood on their field, unlike on our field in the ECU and UK games mentioned above. They had some kind of prescription turf drainage system that we didn't have at that time.

Hurricane Floyd. That game barely resembled a football game. 9 times out of 10 they wouldn’t have played that game these days.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I was at that one. Harley set some sort of rushing record against us and driving the rain never let up. Then there was another deluge in which Moe Williams of Kentucky ran all over us.
King, I think that was in 1993 and I was there with my boss who was a Clemson Board member. One of the most miserable games of my experience.

Reactions: king ward

Yes, that one as a road game. Oddly enough, I had fun at that game.

The 1999 game in Raleigh played during a hurricane. 10-0 State if I recall. Watson had a breakaway and was caught from behind.
My wife and I were at this game. The rain was constant, and the field was a mess, but I don't remember the rain being more than a steady downfall.

what game was that in 94 maybe 95? it rained so hard the front row of the upper decks got clogged with trash and flooded everyone out? i remember around halftime some chris farley lookin guy with no shirt pulled a slipnslide across the fifty before being hauled off.

the windiest game was maybe the tennessee game around the same time frame. almost blew one of my contact lenses out. those were the days of our beloved starter jackets!!

The wettest game ever was definitely 11/20/99 closing out the season vs Clemson. Granted the loss wasn’t that bad at 21-31, but even though it didn’t rain that day I have never seen so many tears. It was like a monsoon washing over W-B after finishing out the 0-11 season. Kinda feels like the 2019 upcoming season, just going to be a sea of disappointment.
you bored man? no work tomorrow? you just trollin around like the rest of your fa**ot a** fanbase?

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Only game I attended with weather delay where we had to leave our seats in the middle of the game was UGA '02. It was a lightning delay. There was some rain but not a deluge. That was the Jenkins to Pinnock fumble at the goal line game.

The wettest game ever was definitely 11/20/99 closing out the season vs Clemson. Granted the loss wasn’t that bad at 21-31, but even though it didn’t rain that day I have never seen so many tears. It was like a monsoon washing over W-B after finishing out the 0-11 season. Kinda feels like the 2019 upcoming season, just going to be a sea of disappointment.
you are a child in the heart and mind! back to osterineville!

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
There is no quempsum guy smart enough to be your boss, you should have been his boss.
Well, Freddie, he happened to have been elected to the office he held.
He was smart enough to have chosen wealthy parents.

The year could not have been 96 as I was in Russia then. It had to be 93, or maybe 92, and as I remember the team was Kentucky.

10/8/1983 Notre Dame 30 Carolina 6.

The entire second half was a down pour. My father-in-law was a Notre Dame grad and grew up in South Bend. I made the entire family sit through every damn raindrop, hoping he would get pneumonia. He didn't (get pneumonia), just to spite me.

‘96. We got killed. You liked that?
Didn't even remember the actual game. Can't believe that was '96. Thought it was when I was still in school. I hope I got a free student ticket for that one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Carolina4
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT