ADVERTISEMENT

Why is everyone harping on Jake after this game?

When our receivers start catching the ball, and we start putting up great numbers, are you guys going to come back on here and admit you're wrong? Jake has had some bad passes, just as Peyton manning did, but he's thrown some really great passes that were dropped. Two beautiful deep passes against A&M, and some third down drops.

Jake helped us get back in the game but in the end, and as good as they played in the 1st quarter, our defense just couldn't get stops in the 2nd half. For the game we gave up almost 500 yards of offense and over 350 passing yards. The biggest difference I've seen between this season and last season is turnovers. Last season we created a lot of turnovers. It just hasn't happened this year. We haven't taken care of the football on offense and on defense we haven't gotten many takeaways.
Unfortunately I read the stat that we are -6 in the turnover category this season and the majority of that number is interceptions. Jake has more heart than anyone else on the Team but his progression stopped last year. Not saying bench him but it's time to insert Scar to try to generate some Missouri Magic when things are not moving.

I maybe wrong but didn’t jake go to a Manning qb camp?if he did, it didn’t help.

He is average at best and the coaches are protecting him from running for a first down at the expense of sustaining drives for possible points. There is nepotism in the ranks which is keeping our football program from testing the waters during a game...bottom line is, no risk, no reward. Jake doesnt throw a consistent accurate ball and takes unnecessary risks when pressured. I wish him the best but the Bentley experiment is costing us valuable points with no end in sight.
theres not a major college coach that would ever play a lesser player at the expense of his job...especially one that probably wont ever get another chance if he fails this time..so i call bs

Reactions: funktavious
Jake has had a rough season and deserves some criticism but not for yesterday's performance. He had a shaky start throwing an interception in the endzone but after that he played with more heart and determination than I've seen him play with since he has been here at USC. He was the only bright spot on our offense. He can't go out there and catch the passes he throws. I saw a kid making great throws that somehow slipped right through the receivers' hands. Twice in the first half he threw long passes that would have put us in scoring position and our receivers just dropped the balls. He threw passes that would have moved the chains but slipped through the bread basket like the basket had no bottom. The 2 drives in the 3rd quarter showed pure determination. I saw a QB with a bum ankle hurdling himself through the air to get a first down, scrambling and making difficult throws, willing his team back into the game. I was in awe when we tied the game at 16. It was a brand new game. We struggled to stop A&M from moving the ball in the 2nd half but we still managed to hold them to a FG. We got the ball back, picked up one 1st down and then Jake throws a pass that would have gone for another, only to have it once again slip through a receiver's hands. No, I won't blame Jake for that loss. If I was a coach, I would have my receivers in practice catching passes until their hands had blisters. I would have every single QB throwing to them for the entirety of practice. When one unit is practicing, and certain receivers weren't participating, they would be on the sidelines catching passes. There is no excuse for the number of drops we have had this year. I feel robbed after yesterday's game and it was due to the seeming ineptitude of our receivers to catch the damn football!

Because Jake Bentley in his 3rd season is not one bit better than last year. Because he still throws to the other team (Clemson, Georgia, TA&M) in critical situations. Because even his on-target balls wobble on their way to the receiver, and a lot of his errant throws -- almost always over-throws -- are just inexplicable. That's why.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT