ADVERTISEMENT

Why would anyone start a fight on a Plane ?

Interesting that people in this thread are now fighting. LOL
I agree that there are times it's tough to keep your disbelief to yourselves. but people should have enough self control and decorum not to start fighting on a Plane.

At minimum, I dress business casual when flying.

Maybe airlines could establish some sort of passenger dress code in the hopes that it might help encourage better behaviour amongst crew and passengers.
My Dad worked for the airlines so it was mandatory that we wear coat and tie regardless of age. Now I dress business casual, on international I like to wear a sport coat so I can have my passport/wallet/phone all in one place on my person.

Reactions: atl-cock
My Dad worked for the airlines so it was mandatory that we wear coat and tie regardless of age. Now I dress business casual, on international I like to wear a sport coat so I can have my passport/wallet/phone all in one place on my person.
I haven't flown in a couple of years, and have no intention of flying again until the pandemic is over (and, IMO, we're probably looking at least until the middle of 2022 before it is).

You've inspired me such that I will likely wear a jacket and tie on my next flight.

• Haha
Reactions: Harvard Gamecock
I haven't flown in a couple of years, and have no intention of flying again until the pandemic is over (and, IMO, we're probably looking at least until the middle of 2022 before it is).

You've inspired me such that I will likely wear a jacket and tie on my next flight.
Will it ever be over? I guess if it mutates into something harmless. But I see no end in sight.

Reactions: caughtlookin
I don't put this on alcohol one bit. Look at all the idiots at school board meetings and city counsel meetings lately. Always threatening violence and acting like trash they are known to be. It's just on a plane now too because acceptance of this type of behavior in public is becoming commonplace.

I don't put this on alcohol one bit. Look at all the idiots at school board meetings and city counsel meetings lately. Always threatening violence and acting like trash they are known to be. It's just on a plane now too because acceptance of this type of behavior in public is becoming commonplace.
And again, it all goes back to a sense of entitlement/rights without responsibility.

Yep, all those terrorists that don't want their children to think they are inherently evil or get irate when they are told their raped daughter wasn't raped at all. There is trash at those meetings, but not on the side of the lectern that you think.

You mean the people who are voicing their opinions on the garbage being taught to their children? You are one of those who believe parents should not have a say in what’s being taught to their kids?

You mean the people who are voicing their opinions on the garbage being taught to their children? You are one of those who believe parents should not have a say in what’s being taught to their kids?
I personally have no problem with people voicing their options in a respectful, civil manner. In fact, I think they have a responsibility to do so, albeit in a respectful, civil manner.

Yep, all those terrorists that don't want their children to think they are inherently evil or get irate when they are told their raped daughter wasn't raped at all. There is trash at those meetings, but not on the side of the lectern that you think.

I read a story about that dad who was told his daughter wasn't raped by the school board member that was already aware there was a rape. (And since then a conviction)

He lost his sh!t, but I personally don't blame him. That was one f'd up situation.

I did see how it was morphed into the crt debate at first too, and it seemed like weeks before the true story came out.

Reactions: chief2791
My now deceased brother-in-law worked for Delta and he would get family "buddy" passes. To use a buddy pass, you had to meet Delta's dress code and fly if seats were available. I was glad to have those tickets and sartorialy prepared when they were available.

Get up and act like a crazy person, people will think you’re crazy, or unhinged, or uneducated, or at the very least rude and uncivilized (or at least they used to). Now it’s par for the course.

Wearing a mask for 12 hours recently trying to return to upstate from Las Vegas. Thank you American Airlines . You suck!!

Reactions: cockofdawn
Interesting that people in this thread are now fighting. LOL
Sort of of metaphor for today's civil discourse. I make a general statement, somebody attacks me personally, I defend myself, their response gets uglier, I try to make it a little more of of civil debate with a good link. Then flanders introduces some political angle as he does to make his viewpoint known (we get it) and the offended fire back.

And I'm stuck in economy (where I'm staying) with the seat back in front of me tempting me to knee it while my wife threatens me if I do.

There we go, we are full circle now before the thread gets locked.

Another day in America.

Reactions: caughtlookin
Sort of of metaphor for today's civil discourse. I make a general statement, somebody attacks me personally, I defend myself, their response gets uglier, I try to make it a little more of of civil debate with a good link. Then flanders introduces some political angle as he does to make his viewpoint known (we get it) and the offended fire back.

And I'm stuck in economy (where I'm staying) with the seat back in front of me tempting me to knee it while my wife threatens me if I do.

Another day in America.
Absolutely sucks, regardless of where you stand politically.

Another day in America.

You seem like a good guy. I travel a good bit too and don't really understand your logic on this one.

When you buy a ticket, you're purchasing space on a plane. Space for yourself and your luggage.

That purchased space includes a seat which reclines. If the airlines didn't want seats which recline, they could disable overnight.

You mentioned you are larger. Some people have other issues such as neck and back so reclining is of benefit.

Your mentality requires everyone to be on-board with your courtesy code and they are not. There are plenty of frequent flyers who recline.

Imagine if the person who is sitting in front of you who has someone that is reclining in front of them? Now they have to engage with the person sitting in front of them to keep you happy?

If you want/need more space, you have to pay a little more. It's not up to coach seating passengers to accomodate special needs/desires.

You seem like a good guy. I travel a good bit too and don't really understand your logic on this one.

When you buy a ticket, you're purchasing space on a plane. Space for yourself and your luggage.

That purchased space includes a seat which reclines. If the airlines didn't want seats which recline, they could disable overnight.

You mentioned you are larger. Some people have other issues such as neck and back so reclining is of benefit.

Your mentality requires everyone to be on-board with your courtesy code and they are not. There are plenty of frequent flyers who recline.

Imagine if the person who is sitting in front of you who has someone that is reclining in front of them? Now they have to engage with the person sitting in front of them to keep you happy?

If you want/need more space, you have to pay a little more. It's not up to coach seating passengers to accomodate special needs/desires.
Well thank you Paleo, I am a nice guy. Never been in a fight of any kind, even with a seat recliner. You are a gracious board member also

As I noted before, I have flown a good bit. I tend to fly economy unless I have an upgrade, but the seat fiasco there is of the airline's makings. I link this article again because I think it provides a good overview.

And, I promise you and flameout and vacock I will not purposely bump the seat of any seat recliner ever again.

But I might need to reach my bag, or bend over, or reach for something. Lol

I had a close call once on a plane. I said "Hi" to my friend Jack and everybody started going crazy.
I miss the old days when you only had to worry if there was a gremlin on the wing.
Lightning_Gremlin.jpg

Another day in America.

political?!? How is stating that what we’re seeing all over society is sneaking into our most enclosed spaces, political?

Well thank you Paleo, I am a nice guy. Never been in a fight of any kind, even with a seat recliner. You are a gracious board member also

As I noted before, I have flown a good bit. I tend to fly economy unless I have an upgrade, but the seat fiasco there is of the airline's makings. I link this article again because I think it provides a good overview.

And, I promise you and flameout and vacock I will not purposely bump the seat of any seat recliner ever again.

A good read from Salon. One I hate to have to read, but need to.

political?!? How is stating that what we’re seeing all over society is sneaking into our most enclosed spaces, political?
We were discussing airplane arguments. You brought up the school board stuff as you know that is a hot issue in political circles and particularly for conservatives. That's as hot a political issue as any going today. And of course, it happens to be election day in Virginia, where that war zone rages.

You are a smart, engaged guy. Most of us have learned after awhile to work to avoid politics on here. You sort of stepped into it here, as you will note from the responses. And the thread disseminates.

I want my economy seat space back, please!!!!

Last edited:

Key sentence in that article......"What the airlines are doing is, they're selling me space for my legs, and they're selling you the space—if you're sitting in front of me—they're selling you the same space to recline. So they're selling one space to two people."

I've never reclined my seat on the plane for this very reason. I feel like reclining is intruding on the person's space behind me. Also what do you do about those folks behind you using trays? Do drinks and food get spilled from trays when others recline in front of them? What about a parent with an infant on their lap behind you? I have had some respectful people ask me first before reclining, and I said it was okay, but only because they were polite and I didn't want to make an issue of it. I realize that by booking an economy seat it may lend to me being uncomfortable for a stretch of time, and if I was that concerned about it I would upgrade to a different seat with more leg room.

Get up and act like a crazy person, people will think you’re crazy, or unhinged, or uneducated, or at the very least rude and uncivilized (or at least they used to). Now it’s par for the course.
But not if you’re a Democrat objecting to a Republican policy. In that case you can burn, loot, and beat up people. The hypocrisy is amazing.

Reactions: cockofdawn

Absolutely!! And that is why I always fly first-class. I have leg and hip issues so I have to have the extra room. I’m willing to pay for it to avoid the nut-job who kicks you for reclining in economy.

Reactions: atl-cock
Since 1973. Many, many, many flights, many countries, no fights yet. Not even a terse word. Never really been rude other than bumping people's seats on a airplane in a space I paid for when I need to move. The personal attacks I got for a general comment I made in passing in this thread surpass any rudeness I have given or received on a plane. After 22 years here, that should be no surprise.

But, like a lot of folks, I'm tired of the trashing response approach some big guys take on this site, so I've decided to play along for a minute when I encounter it, so perhaps they see personal destruction for fun is not a free ride.

That being said, I do think there is an unsaid tension created by the airlines in relation to this issue. If we did a poll, I think it would split half and half on seat reclining. And, I bet a lot of big folks like me will tell you if you recline, I got nowhere to go. So sorry, you will probably get bumped, because I will not inconvenience the person behind me.
Stop flying cheap and go first class. They have larger seats and more leg room. Big Guy!

But not if you’re a Democrat objecting to a Republican policy. In that case you can burn, loot, and beat up people. The hypocrisy is amazing.

No. It definitely goes both ways. Do you think there's anyone out there that thinks that looters are intelligent?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT