ADVERTISEMENT

$100,000 to do this...

Seems like I remember during SOS's tenure, the talk on here (pretty close to 100%)was that after he retired, we needed to keep him connected with the University to help with recruiting and national recognition. Looks like that's is what USC is doing. I'm a USC fan and the first thing I think of when Spurrier's name is mentioned is not the last miserable season he had with us, and I think for 95% of people outside of our area it isn't either. Until we have our own Bear Bryant, I'm just fine with paying SOS the money, even if it is just to wear our clothes and take pictures with recruits (if taking pics with recruits isn't a violation..)

Seems like I remember during SOS's tenure, the talk on here (pretty close to 100%)was that after he retired, we needed to keep him connected with the University to help with recruiting and national recognition. Looks like that's is what USC is doing. I'm a USC fan and the first thing I think of when Spurrier's name is mentioned is not the last miserable season he had with us, and I think for 95% of people outside of our area it isn't either. Until we have our own Bear Bryant, I'm just fine with paying SOS the money, even if it is just to wear our clothes and take pictures with recruits (if taking pics with recruits isn't a violation..)
The problem is that he did not retire; he quit in the middle of the season and left the program in terrible shape. There are many USC fans who would not walk across the street to speak to Spurrier.

The problem is that he did not retire; he quit in the middle of the season and left the program in terrible shape. There are many USC fans who would not walk across the street to speak to Spurrier.

I understand where you are coming from. I was pissed at him when he quit, but since, I have looked at it as a positive. I really was ready for him to hang it up, and the new energy in the program is great. If anything surprises me, it is that Spurrier is taking a salary. $100k is a lot of money to me, but to the athletic dept. (and to SOS too) it's peanuts in the shell.

He wanted to retire last year.......was talked out of it........his heart wasn't in it any longer. I'd like to see your desire level in your 70's. Keep throwing those stones. You people do know that 100K per year is chump change to SOS and his family right? And for the poster that threw out Joe Rice's name (for whatever point he was trying to but never made), he's donated more to SC than SOS's salary. When SOS stepped down, quit, whatever you want to call it, I too thought he should finish the season. After everything was said and done, and the smoke cleared, I realized he did the exact right thing. He was not going to resurrect that team and new direction was needed. His age plays into this............if he were 40, then yeah you could call him a quitter.....not after all he's done and not after he's reached this age.

Also, SOS has donated way more than his salary now to USC. Everytime he's on an ESPN show, Dan Patrick, etc, he's introduced as SC's former head coach. We can't buy that kind of pub. He's damn worth whatever we pay him for damn whatever they have him doing. If it's fundraising and playing golf with big wheels, the dividends reaped will be far more than he's getting paid. Of course, I doubt economics is a strong suit here on FGF. If you paid me X, and I bring in 10 times X, am I worth X?

He wanted to retire last year.......was talked out of it........his heart wasn't in it any longer. I'd like to see your desire level in your 70's. Keep throwing those stones. You people do know that 100K per year is chump change to SOS and his family right? And for the poster that threw out Joe Rice's name (for whatever point he was trying to but never made), he's donated more to SC than SOS's salary. When SOS stepped down, quit, whatever you want to call it, I too thought he should finish the season. After everything was said and done, and the smoke cleared, I realized he did the exact right thing. He was not going to resurrect that team and new direction was needed. His age plays into this............if he were 40, then yeah you could call him a quitter.....not after all he's done and not after he's reached this age.

Also, SOS has donated way more than his salary now to USC. Everytime he's on an ESPN show, Dan Patrick, etc, he's introduced as SC's former head coach. We can't buy that kind of pub. He's damn worth whatever we pay him for damn whatever they have him doing. If it's fundraising and playing golf with big wheels, the dividends reaped will be far more than he's getting paid. Of course, I doubt economics is a strong suit here on FGF. If you paid me X, and I bring in 10 times X, am I worth X?
SOS was instrumental in bringing rice in Thats the point.

Yeah, but the optics are bad. SC is a poor state. SOS is being paid approx 3x the median income of the state to do nothing. Talk about a golden parachute. You can come up with all the nice sounding explanations you want for a guy who never won a championship at SC, but the fact remains we paid him tens of millions. It just doesn't look good.

So..it would look better for the University to renege on an offer made to Spurrier..? Doubtful..

Quit making excuses! Spurrier allowed our program to steadily decline and then QUIT in the middle of the season.

This has never been about the money. It is about the lack of respect USC is showing for itself by keeping around a coach who trashed the football program and then quit in the middle of the season.

I can think of no business that would keep an employee around who trashed his or her department and then quit with no notice.

Reactions: cockydev
Quit making excuses! Spurrier allowed our program to steadily decline and then QUIT in the middle of the season.

This has never been about the money. It is about the lack of respect USC is showing for itself by keeping around a coach who trashed the football program and then quit in the middle of the season.

I can think of no business that would keep an employee around who trashed his or her department and then quit with no notice.
He's here and we love it!

You guys are just obsessed. Somehow you feel personally wronged about how last year ended. I doubt that there is anything that Spurrier could ever do to make up to you the wrong he committed by leaving the program abruptly after leading us to our best sustained success ever.

I'm not saying SS is perfect. I think he suffered from an excess of loyalty to old friends and family. You can't do that at this level. But at least he got out of the way in time to let our AD go through an orderly search for his successor. And spare me the usual Tanner-bashing here. He knew what he was doing.

I'm happy with Muschamp. I'm content. Some people don't want to be content. They want to keep the pot stirred so they can say "I told you so" when anything, and I mean anything, goes wrong.

You guys are just obsessed. Somehow you feel personally wronged about how last year ended. I doubt that there is anything that Spurrier could ever do to make up to you the wrong he committed by leaving the program abruptly after leading us to our best sustained success ever.

I'm not saying SS is perfect. I think he suffered from an excess of loyalty to old friends and family. You can't do that at this level. But at least he got out of the way in time to let our AD go through an orderly search for his successor. And spare me the usual Tanner-bashing here. He knew what he was doing.

I'm happy with Muschamp. I'm content. Some people don't want to be content. They want to keep the pot stirred so they can say "I told you so" when anything, and I mean anything, goes wrong.
Maybe some people aren't content because they are American and are forever seeking excellence. Like Bama.

Speak for yourself.

People living in the real world know that USC keeping a coach around who left our program in shambles just makes us look like desperate losers.

Don't think it our fault because you feel like a desperate loser. Might be because you hold petty grudges, feeling that you've been wronged. Guess you feel like you're owed something. Sadly, there's a lot of people with that mistaken mentality these days.
If SOS can help raise money for USC, so be it. Glad Tanner is thinking like a businessman and not a child.

No, the people who fawn over Spurrier like he is a god are the ones who are obsessed. Why should our program reward a coach who wronged our program?

Don't think it our fault because you feel like a desperate loser. Might be because you hold petty grudges, feeling that you've been wronged. Guess you feel like you're owed something. Sadly, there's a lot of people with that mistaken mentality these days.
If SOS can help raise money for USC, so be it. Glad Tanner is thinking like a businessman and not a child.
Oh, I am not a desperate loser. I am just opposed to hanging onto a coach who trashed our program. That is not a petty grudge but the sign of a winner who expects the best.

Tanner is thinking like a businessman who doesn't really know business.

I think you're right about Spurrier's flaw here. He didn't really want to be coaching anymore (starting with the Duck Commander year) and that's clear. Unfortunately, this sentiment spread throughout the coaching staff. I honestly think he feels guilty about the way he left things and that's why he continues to "wear the visor." Maybe he sees it as a sort of penance. He might have been more involved if Jr. was still on staff, but that would have been a huge mistake.

I applaud Tanner for getting Muschamp (he could have said no) and letting him do things his way. I also think Muschamp is a better long-term solution than any of the other candidates who would have been looking to jump after either a couple successful years or realizing they were over their heads at USC. Muschamp may have higher aspirations as well, and if he whips Kirby a few years in a row, he might get the opportunity to coach his alma mater.

I still take issue with the pay, though - even if Spurrier donates it back to the Gamecock club. Most Americans don't even sniff $100K as a salary - especially not in "retirement".

[QUOTE="HI Cock, post: 2255688, member:
I still take issue with the pay, though - even if Spurrier donates it back to the Gamecock club. Most Americans don't even sniff $100K as a salary - especially not in "retirement".[/QUOTE]

Does anyone think that Spurrier does not create more than $100K in actual money raising just by being here and speaking for USC? The man continues to be a draw wherever he goes and the positive PR far outweighs the salary. $100K is big bucks and more than I ever saw, or will see, but in the sports world, its peanuts.

Like most here, I am not at all happy about the last two years but, on balance, we were and are lucky to have him with us. I don't keel before his image every morning and don't know anyone who does but I'm glad he came here and glad he is still here. $100K be damned.

a desperate loser.
Is this REALLY necessary? If you disagree, fine. But, why the name calling? Can you not promote your point of view without attacking the opposing view? I got news for you, It makes you look small. And the truth is that no matter what you say, some will agree and some will disagree.

Is this REALLY necessary? If you disagree, fine. But, why the name calling? Can you not promote your point of view without attacking the opposing view? I got news for you, It makes you look small. And the truth is that no matter what you say, some will agree and some will disagree.
Atlanta Cock, you will find that when a person resorts to personal attacks they are indicating they have nothing else. You should take the personal attack as a compliment because it shows you have bested that person.

Atlanta Cock, you will find that when a person resorts to personal attacks they are indicating they have nothing else. You should take the personal attack as a compliment because it shows you have bested that person.

You said we look like desperate losers. Just using your words.

In this situation, yes USC does look like a desperate loser. My comment was directed at the University and not an individual poster here.

Sorry, having SOS employed here does not make me feel like a desperate loser or that our athletic program looks like desperate losers.

But when Cola g Cock calls you a desperate loser its not a personal attack, its a term of endearment. lmao

You don't. You're content with how we do things so long as they wear garnet and black.

I'm sorry, I didnt know acting like a Debbie downer EVERY SINGLE DAY was helping the University like you do Eeyore.

But when Cola g Cock calls you a desperate loser its not a personal attack, its a term of endearment. lmao
Gosh, if you have to make up things that are inaccurate to try to make your point, it speaks volumes about you.

You know I am right and this is the best you have. Ha, ha!

You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Apparently it's you that doesn't get it. You are in the VERY small minority. Nobody here or at USC cares what you think, nor can you do anything about it. Must be infuriating.

Your best bet is to keep on being a desperate loser (your words).

You are right. Programs with fans who accept mediocrity and less will promote a mediocre program.

Right, because hiring a coaching legend that has brought your program to it's highest level ever, and receiving tons of positive PR and fundraising benefits because of him is "promoting mediocrity". Brilliant!

Reactions: USC-1
Gosh, if you have to make up things that are inaccurate to try to make your point, it speaks volumes about you.

You know I am right and this is the best you have. Ha, ha!

Let me make it simple for you, You said this " Atlanta Cock, you will find that when a person resorts to personal attacks they are indicating they have nothing else. You should take the personal attack as a compliment because it shows you have bested that person."

You said those who support Spurrier and the Administration are" Desperate losers".

Class dismissed

Apparently it's you that doesn't get it. You are in the VERY small minority. Nobody here or at USC cares what you think, nor can you do anything about it. Must be infuriating.

Your best bet is to keep on being a desperate loser (your words).
No, I do not celebrate a coach who deserted our football program in the middle of the season. That is certainly not the sign of a winner.

Do you think USC will vie for the SEC championship in football this year? I will be glad to take that bet with you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT