ADVERTISEMENT

A question about MLB and the MLB players of today.

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
Back when I was a kid growing up in the 50s and even early 60s I loved MLB and all but worshiped the players like Mickey Mantle, Yogi Berra, and most every player that played for the Yankees. And even non Yankee players like Willie Mays and a few others from that time period.

But today I don't even watch MLB or even care about it for that matter. And today's players are even greater, statistic wise, than players from the 50s and early 60s. I've also noticed that guys my age don't care for MLB either like they did when we were kids. I have a cousin a little older than me and he don't care anything about MLB anymore, the WS or anything about the sport.

Kind of a tough and unusual question but I wonder why that is? Again, the players of today are even better than Mantle, Maris, etc. I wonder if it's because back in the day there was very limited coverage of the game and players compared to today and seeing the stars of the game is no big thing compared to the 50s and early 60s?

Last edited:
Reactions: ThirdTTrio
I loved baseball as a child and followed the Braves through great run in the 90’s while I lived in Atlanta. I just have more interests and responsibilities these days. I still love sports but so many more things fascinate me. Those things also feel more real than games. Every puppy eventually becomes a dog

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
I don't think there is just one reason why many adults have a different level and type of interest in MLB than they had as kids.

One reason I think is it was easy to idolize pro athletes when I was 8-12 years old. I had a naive view of things, plus, those guys were adults and I was a kid. Its tougher to be gung-ho about games being played by people half my age.

The amount of media coverage and information on today's athletes removes much of the mystique they used to have. Now, we know so much about their flaws and virtues. It was easy in the 1970s and 1980s for me to think Steve Garvey was an incredible guy. Later, we learned a lot about his faults.

Another reason that is specific to baseball is the amount of time it takes to REALLY follow a team/players. These guys are playing 5 games a week. The games last close to 3 hours. That is an incredible amount of time one needs to invest to really be involved in a team's or player's season/career. As we get older, I think many of us don't have that kind of time to follow a team. Maybe that's why football is more popular with adults...your team, whoever it is, only plays once a week.

I don't think there is just one reason why many adults have a different level and type of interest in MLB than they had as kids.

One reason I think is it was easy to idolize pro athletes when I was 8-12 years old. I had a naive view of things, plus, those guys were adults and I was a kid. Its tougher to be gung-ho about games being played by people half my age.

The amount of media coverage and information on today's athletes removes much of the mystique they used to have. Now, we know so much about their flaws and virtues. It was easy in the 1970s and 1980s for me to think Steve Garvey was an incredible guy. Later, we learned a lot about his faults.

Another reason that is specific to baseball is the amount of time it takes to REALLY follow a team/players. These guys are playing 5 games a week. The games last close to 3 hours. That is an incredible amount of time one needs to invest to really be involved in a team's or player's season/career. As we get older, I think many of us don't have that kind of time to follow a team. Maybe that's why football is more popular with adults...your team, whoever it is, only plays once a week.

Jon you are so right
I lived in Atlanta for 15 years and went to hundreds of Braves games. To really understand baseball you have to follow every game. Know lefty/righty matchups and dozens of other stats and nuances. It got to be that I understood and could anticipate what Glavine and Maddux were going to throw. Cox was an amazing manager, who was unpredictable at all the right times. I just don’t have the time, energy or inclination to invest that heavily

I loved baseball. We had season tickets to the Columbia Mets and would make day trips to Atlanta almost every Saturday home game. Played it all through HS and thought ESPN was the most amazing thing ever for opening day but now I haven’t watched a game in 3 years.

For me it was free agency. You knew the core guys from every team and it would just be a couple guys that rotated in and out. When teams stopped having their core guy for 10 years I started losing interest. We all follow a team but still have a favorite player. When it got to where I couldn’t keep up with where the top guys were from year to year that was it.

You just did a great job of summing up the reasons I was trying to explain. And one of your explanations about the flaws of players not being scrutinized back in the day compared to today is spot on.

As a kid, you have the luxury to devote most of your time to following sports, movie, and music celebrities.
As you grow older your time becomes more focused on job, family and financial responsibilities. And, as time goes on you develop other interests as well.

You can cite all kinds of other reasons, but this is it in a nutshell.

IMO sports become regionalized once the playoffs start, with the NFL being the exception. It feels like 65% of the league is out of the race by the all star break and folks arent spending the rest of the summer following a team that will finish 70-92.......Another unfortunate outcome is team unity. Mike Trout will be the next Jeter, before Jeter it was Ripkin. Im sure there are other examples but how many baseball teams have a core or even 1 dude that stays together for awhile and allows the avg fan to feel invested?

I also grew up in the 60's and 70's and idolized baseball. At the time, the NFL was 2nd to MLB and the NBA was, well,.....let's just say it was probably 5th on the poll behind the NHL, Golf or such. I think a lot of the emphasis was that we followed it daily in the sports pages. It was entertainment on a daily basis (we had the time then). Now, there are 18 kinds of sports on 75 media outlets, not to mention 800 platforms in which to get entertained. I just think this younger generation has (attention deficit disorder)….they need instantaneous action. Baseball is a methodical game that is really played by 3 or 4 players per at bat. By that I mean, pitcher, batter, catcher and a fielder. If you compare to the NFL, 15 people are moving creating action...same with soccer and the NBA as well...constant activity. I think MLB better find a way to speed up the game....when a batter has to adjust 15 articles of protection, tape on his gloves and such every swing....the kids of today get bored too easily. Just my opinion. Also, a MLB player usually stayed with his team for 15 years because of loyalty. Not so, this "me" generation has to have more money for hitting .250 and stealing 10 bases. Sad to say.

I loved baseball. We had season tickets to the Columbia Mets and would make day trips to Atlanta almost every Saturday home game. Played it all through HS and thought ESPN was the most amazing thing ever for opening day but now I haven’t watched a game in 3 years.

For me it was free agency. You knew the core guys from every team and it would just be a couple guys that rotated in and out. When teams stopped having their core guy for 10 years I started losing interest. We all follow a team but still have a favorite player. When it got to where I couldn’t keep up with where the top guys were from year to year that was it.
Agree re few players staying put.Around 1960,Yankees games broadcast in Columbia,probably because of Bobby Richardson.Can still name starting lineup for those teams-very little change from year to year.

I am not sure the players of today area that much better but they understand their bodies and how to take care of them. What kind of career would Mantle have had of he's took cares of his body ? Had there ever been a better third baseman than Brooks Robinson or a better all round player than Hank Aaron ? Jackie Robinson ? Is there a hitter like Ted Williams? Nobody got .400 since. Some players could play in any age. Could the kids today hit Koufax? Bob Gibson ?

Beseball is the only sport that has no clock. The defense starts with the ball. You are cinsidered very good if successful 30% of tje time at the plate. You play in a cathedral under blue skies on green grass, unhurried, its still a team sport

Reactions: Cybercock
Back when I was a kid growing up in the 50s and even early 60s I loved MLB and all but worshiped the players like Mickey Mantle, Yogi Berra, and most every player that played for the Yankees. And even non Yankee players like Willie Mays and a few others from that time period.

But today I don't even watch MLB or even care about it for that matter. And today's players are even greater, statistic wise, than players from the 50s and early 60s. I've also noticed that guys my age don't care for MLB either like they did when we were kids. I have a cousin a little older than me and he don't care anything about MLB anymore, the WS or anything about the sport.

Kind of a tough and unusual question but I wonder why that is? Again, the players of today are even better than Mantle, Maris, etc. I wonder if it's because back in the day there was very limited coverage of the game and players compared to today and seeing the stars of the game is no big thing compared to the 50s and early 60s?
Video games...

I've always felt that baseball fits better as a local entertainment venue rather than national. Always have more fun watching minor league games versus going to the big ball parks.

Kinda like the reverse of say the NBA and G league.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT