ADVERTISEMENT

As well as Champ is recruiting

Clemson is at 3.58 average star ranking and we are at 3.53. How do you not consider .05 stars close? That is basically dead even. When you consider they were .7 stars ahead of us last year and typically at least half a star on average ahead I would definitely say we are closing the gap this year.
That won't be known until after National Signing Day, the big one.

So long as we're finishing in the top 20 recruiting classes, I think the gap in talent is not enormous. Keep finishing there, and we'll win our share with decent coaching.
We will be perennially finishing third or fourth in the East. Well, second sometimes.

The good thing is UGA is stealing offensive lineman from the taters. The bad thing is we still play UGA that's doing all the taking from the taters.

Reactions: gamecockblack
You know this whole thread is funny to me. In that past, there have been one or two classes where Clemson didn't "rank" all that highly and maybe only beat us by a couple of spots and Gamecock fans said "oh, they aren't recruiting any better." But the reality for those that really know recruiting is that the only reason they weren't higher is because they only took 17 or 18 kids. That hurt their overall ranking.

So right now, the inverse is true and the sky is falling. SC only has 17 commits. Most all of the schools above us have at least 20 commits as of right now. But our average per kid rating is really good this year. Much better than in past years. When else have we had 3 top 100 guys and we could possibly get one or two more.

Bottom line is this is going to be a very good class as long as the wheels don't come off at the end. In fact, I would say this will be one of the best classes we have had in a long time. And trust me, I am not a "sunshine pumper." If I didn't believe it was going to be an excellent class, I wouldn't say. I remember specifically when we had a class that was ranked in the top 20 (the class with Ricardo Hurley, etc) that was basically because of a high number of commitments. I didn't think that class was very good.

You know this whole thread is funny to me. In that past, there have been one or two classes where Clemson didn't "rank" all that highly and maybe only beat us by a couple of spots and Gamecock fans said "oh, they aren't recruiting any better." But the reality for those that really know recruiting is that the only reason they weren't higher is because they only took 17 or 18 kids. That hurt their overall ranking.

So right now, the inverse is true and the sky is falling. SC only has 17 commits. Most all of the schools above us have at least 20 commits as of right now. But our average per kid rating is really good this year. Much better than in past years. When else have we had 3 top 100 guys and we could possibly get one or two more.

Bottom line is this is going to be a very good class as long as the wheels don't come off at the end. In fact, I would say this will be one of the best classes we have had in a long time. And trust me, I am not a "sunshine pumper." If I didn't believe it was going to be an excellent class, I wouldn't say. I remember specifically when we had a class that was ranked in the top 20 (the class with Ricardo Hurley, etc) that was basically because of a high number of commitments. I didn't think that class was very good.
Spot on!

Don't go throwing facts and logic in this conversation please.

Yeap and keep in mind we have signed 2 unanimous 5 Stars ever . Clowney and Culliver . Marcus was a 5 star in Rivals and High 4 Star by other services . We got 1 almost Guaranteed 5 Star now . Thats about half of the 5 Stars we have signed EVER!! Now I will say this ... if something crazy happens and Pickens or Hillinski Flip .... this class is a catastrophe. The entire class hinges on those two guys . As far as competing with Clemson recruiting wise ... they signed more 5 stars last year the we have ever signed since recruiting rankings existed so let’s don’t go getting crazy .

I don't see Mizzou or KY on there. Interesting.
Yeap and keep in mind we have signed 2 unanimous 5 Stars ever . Clowney and Culliver . Marcus was a 5 star in Rivals and High 4 Star by other services . We got 1 almost Guaranteed 5 Star now . Thats about half of the 5 Stars we have signed EVER!! Now I will say this ... if something crazy happens and Pickens or Hillinski Flip .... this class is a catastrophe. The entire class hinges on those two guys . As far as competing with Clemson recruiting wise ... they signed more 5 stars last year the we have ever signed since recruiting rankings existed so let’s don’t go getting crazy .

I have tried to make this point.. We are really, really far behind right now. Same with Georgia, A&M, etc.

I'll believe that what we're getting is better than what they're getting when our'n start beating their'n.

I don't know if we are that far in the end Art we had a lot of injuries this time and a good class coming in and coming back. JMO

In terms of Rankings yes we are very far behind . We definitely have some talent but to compete you gotta have talent and depth . When a Bama LB gets injured or leave early for the draft they have 2 other 5 stars to replace him . When it happens to us we are pulling people out of the stands . Gotta build that depth up .

We are 22nd on Rivals. Below are the other SEC teams/Clemson. Looks like we are 11th in the SEC.

Sort of a bleak outlook when you consider the below-

1) Alabama
2) Texas A&M (play every year)
3) LSU
4) Clemson (play every year)
6) Georgia (play every year, stand in our way of winning East)
11) Arkansas (2-10 this year)
13) Tennessee (5-7 this year, play every year, stand in our way of winning East)
14) Auburn
16) Ole Miss (5-7 this year, essentially on probation?)
20) Florida (play every year, stand in our way of winning East)
21) Mississippi State
22) South Carolina

If we stay where we are, teams fielding top 5 classes year after year are teams we probably can’t beat. Teams fielding classes outside the top 5, but in the top 10 are teams we can only beat if things go perfect for us and bad for them. Teams outside the top 10...crap shoot. Not much difference between a class ranked 13 and a class ranked 22.

Chad Morris May end up being a good hire there after all if he can recruit off of a year they just had. We have to pick it up. Status quo sucks.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
I trust Muschamp’s ability to evaluate. He wants players that are athletic and “can take hard coaching”. Hard-nosed. We need depth, though, especially on D. Going to need to take some chances, make sure to take full classes. If the D can maintain a true 2/3-deep running his and t-rob’s system, I’m confident we’ll be alright. But this year showed in bold relief what can happen when you don’t have enough guys.

I remember being jacked a few months back when this class was top 5 in 247 rankings. Its seriously lost ground and momentum.

If we stay where we are, teams fielding top 5 classes year after year are teams we probably can’t beat. Teams fielding classes outside the top 5, but in the top 10 are teams we can only beat if things go perfect for us and bad for them. Teams outside the top 10...crap shoot. Not much difference between a class ranked 13 and a class ranked 22.
Have you checked our head coach's record against those teams? We dont have the coach to beat a top 25 team so.....

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Clemson is at 3.58 average star ranking and we are at 3.53. How do you not consider .05 stars close? That is basically dead even. When you consider they were .7 stars ahead of us last year and typically at least half a star on average ahead I would definitely say we are closing the gap this year.
That is a very misleading way to compare. You can have a guy ranked 30th overall that is a 4 star and have a guy around 300th that is still a 4 star.

Reactions: griffgolf
Apparently he just made a silent commit to Dabo, But Harbaugh has turned the heat up for this kid this week. He is gonna announce publicly at the All American game. He was quoted last week saying Michigan and Clemson were the final 2 schools.
Hes been a tiger commit for over a damn year now. Everyone with any sense knows that. The only hope Michigan has is the Urban leaving.

That is a very misleading way to compare. You can have a guy ranked 30th overall that is a 4 star and have a guy around 300th that is still a 4 star.
It's not misleading at all if you compare the classes and where our recruits rank. We have a solid group and only lack the overall number of recruits. If we close strong this could be an excellent class.

Reactions: rogue cock
We do need depth but we need impact players. Impact players such as edge rushers and shut down corners. Stud wide receivers and massive defensive tackles.

We also need to be mindful of what other SEC East teams and Clemtech are bringing in. We are making up ground on what the lazy staff before Muschamp did. But we really are losing ground to UGA and Clemtech and most of the SEC in terms of players. Can this staff develop and coach them up to 4 star and 5 star level. The jury is still out.

New rivals update.
Kenion and Fitten both lose their 4 star status. Moved down to high 3 star..5.7
In a couple of months we had 9 4 or 5 stars now just 6.

Reactions: Tiger71 and Pole
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT