ADVERTISEMENT

Beamers Take On Brown Or Noland

macaroni#

Apr 6, 2003
Irmo/Dillon SC
After watching the Beamer with Todd Ellis interview about the Cocks/Gators game i see that Beamer is talking up Zeb Noland as being ready to go... Do you think he means as a back up to Jason Brown or the Starter? I sure hope Beamer will start Brown and see him go into that hostile group of Gators after getting their Tails cut off against the Dawgs this past weekend and show that he can make some things happen instead of doing the same ole song and dance with Zeb. (Nothing against Zed, i just think Brown needs the chance to start and play the whole game). The Coaching Staff has had two weeks to simplify the Offense to Brown's effectiveness. Lets see the Brown to Jenkins and Vann show that should open up the Running Game to balance control of moving it down the field.

It's frustrating. You'd think Zeb was Tom Brady. Dude has knee surgery (however 'minor' it may have been), and they talk like they're going to run him right back out there at 100%...? IF, you have Tom Brady, yes, you need him out there because he's the best and he basically carries your team. As mentioned above, nothing against Zeb; but that is not the case with him as QB. And I hope it isn't an attempt at gamesmanship, keeping Florida guessing as to - OOoooooh! Who will they play at QB??? Yeah, they aren't worried about that.
Brown is next man up - Let's see what he's got!

Brown probably isn't either, but at least he's going to be here next year.

At least Brown has the potential to get away form the pass rush, and get outside the pocket.

I can only assume Brown most turn the ball over in practice? He has more interceptions then Noland in limited playing time, 2 interception in 20 throws vs Noland's 1 int in 68 passing attempts. But one interception vs Texas A&M was not Brown's fault, just juggled by our guy and intercepted if I recall correctly.

Noland has passing 6 TD's but 4 of those were verses Eastern Illinois and one against the Vandy prevent defense.

Brown has 2 touchdowns in 20 pass attempts against backups. But Eastern Illinois was basically backup quality as well. Noland really has not done much against better competition.

To me given our offensive line woes you start Brown, at least he can spin out of the pocket and buy some time, see what he gives you, what that dimension gives you. Noland may be better as a backup anyways since he has been that most of his career and has had the recent knee issue.

Last edited:
I see no point in starting Zeb at this point. Thankful that he stepped in when needed, but opposing DC's have us figured out now. They're going to bring the house until we make them pay downfield. Maybe Brown can do that. We won't know unless we try. I know Brown has some interceptions, and I can't say that they don't concern me a little, but I also see him out there trying to make SOMETHING happen. One thing for sure, we don't have much chance of winning any game left unless we change our philosophy on offense. We are at the point where we have to go for broke, there's really nothing to lose. Let Brown have the game, see what he can do.

If Zeb was a difference-maker who could help us win now, I'd have absolutely no problem continuing to run him out there. But it's pretty obvious now why he bounced around between a couple programs before coming here as a GA -- he just doesn't have it. I truly mean no disrespect to him, because he's a tough ass dude who has willingly put his body on the line for South Carolina when he could have easily stayed in retirement. But he's not the answer at quarterback, not now and certainly not in the future. While I think our quarterbacks are basically interchangeable with how awful this offensive line is, you might as well go with a guy who will still be with the program next year (and who also hasn't been given much of a chance to perform at this point).

(Nothing against Zed, i just think Brown needs the chance to start and play the whole game).
Sorry I just mentally pictured this when I saw that.
CUT5UK3UIFE5HNT4TZZUDZ5I2U.jpg

If Zeb starts he may not survive. I applaud his courage but a lack of mobility and no line is no place to be right after knee surgery.

Reactions: Flameout12
I really don't see any upside to starting Zeb. He hasn't shown himself to be a game changer of any kind. Brown probably isn't either, but at least he's going to be here next year.
Keeping the offense in decent plays and protecting the ball..... he has a lot of upside. Not a lot of ability in this league.....but the second option looks to have neither.

We need a playmaker who can spark something. Not much else can be said.
That's true....but that guy doesn't exist on this team.
Offensively:
Playmakers: JuJu, Bell, sometimes Vann......a healthy K. Harris (but he ain't healthy). That's it.

Reactions: boy among men
Offensively:
Playmakers: JuJu, Bell, sometimes Vann......a healthy K. Harris (but he ain't healthy). That's it.

Yeah, I've said it before and I'll say it again: Ultimately, we would need a Michael Vick or a Tim Tebow for this offense to be successful. We don't have an elite scrambling quarterback who can consistently make something out of nothing and paper over a bad offensive line, and unfortunately that is what we need with how things are presently constructed.

Reactions: DarkCock
Offensively:
Sorry, but I said it when I first watched film on Brown early on in the recruiting process. This guy is a playmaker with the football in his hands . When the play brakes down he can create .

Keeping the offense in decent plays and protecting the ball..... he has a lot of upside. Not a lot of ability in this league.....but the second option looks to have neither.

He's not going to be the different maker in us winning any of our final 4 games. He may protect the ball well, but the offense has not performed particularly well with either him or Doty under center. And he's not gonna be here next year so we're not developing him for anything. Just no upside. If Zeb didn't have the aura of coming out of retirement as a GA to start at QB, fans would screaming for his head.

If he is truly the better option than Brown then Brown must truly suck something awful.

That said, the only upside for Brown is that he will be here next year so we might as well see if he can do anything. And he presumably can evade somewhat better in the pocket.

Our odds of winning any of the final 4 games are likely unaffected by who we start at QB.

Who you play will depend on whether you’re going to continue playing scared, basically once again conceding the game in the name of whatever inanity it is you’ve been thinking all season, or you want to actually give yourself a chance to win. Pretty simple.

Sadly, if he’s hawked Noland’s availability, that’s probably where he’s going and may be his Waterloo.

Who you play will depend on whether you’re going to continue playing scared, basically once again conceding the game in the name of whatever inanity it is you’ve been thinking all season, or you want to actually give yourself a chance to win. Pretty simple.

Sadly, if he’s hawked Noland’s availability, that’s probably where he’s going and may be his Waterloo.

Pretty much. Zeb is a safe QB that's probably not going to do anything stupid, but he's not going to do anything great either.

Besides that, Noland will just represent more of the same: an offense that doesn't work. It may not be any better with Brown in there, but we've gotta try something different.

Pretty much. Zeb is a safe QB that's probably not going to do anything stupid, but he's not going to do anything great either.

Besides that, Noland will just represent more of the same: an offense that doesn't work. It may not be any better with Brown in there, but we've gotta try something different.

Yeah, Noland is the epitome of a game manager, which actually doesn't have to be a bad thing, but we don't have enough talent (and especially not reliable, consistent talent) at the skill positions for a game manager to be effective. We need a quarterback who can create and improvise, and that player does not appear to be on the roster. Like you, though, I'd prefer to at least see Brown getting a chance.

Reactions: GarnetBeamer
So much of his talk just sounds like a rookie coach trying to convince himself he’s made the right call. If Brown comes out and moves the offense and they actually score some touchdowns against Florida (win or lose) there are going to be a lot of questions about why he didn’t play before. Sure he can say that Brown needed to learn the playbook or that he’s progressed throughout the season but the questions are still there. You roll Noland out and lose the final four games well no one expected you to win anyways.

Gaither can play the rest of the season and get some experience without counting against his redshirt year. That is what I would do and that would set us up nicely at the QB positon next year. This year is done. Stick a fork in it.

I’ll buy Gauthier; I’d rather have Brown but I’ll go with ANYTHING other than just conceding the friggin game AGAIN.

Last edited:
So was Gauthier just not worth the scholarship? Our top 2 QBs are either out injured or recovering from something and it seems like we haven't heard his name so much as whispered as far as simply getting more reps in practice.

so if its not a true freshman we are putting all our hope in, its now a D3 quarterback. An i thought having our best option at qb being a walkon in Orth was the all time low point for the position.

so if its not a true freshman we are putting all our hope in, its now a D3 quarterback. An i thought having our best option at qb being a walkon in Orth was the all time low point for the position.
The coaches put their hope in a “D3” scrub to start the season so at least the new “D3” guy was a successful starter.

After watching the Beamer with Todd Ellis interview about the Cocks/Gators game i see that Beamer is talking up Zeb Noland as being ready to go... Do you think he means as a back up to Jason Brown or the Starter? I sure hope Beamer will start Brown and see him go into that hostile group of Gators after getting their Tails cut off against the Dawgs this past weekend and show that he can make some things happen instead of doing the same ole song and dance with Zeb. (Nothing against Zed, i just think Brown needs the chance to start and play the whole game). The Coaching Staff has had two weeks to simplify the Offense to Brown's effectiveness. Lets see the Brown to Jenkins and Vann show that should open up the Running Game to balance control of moving it down the field.
Not sure it even matters when the play calling sucks so bad. I wonder if Satterfield has ever drawn up an offensive game plan, it sure doesn't look like it. If I have said it once, I have said it a thousand times, being adjacent to Joe Brady does not a Joe Brady make. Our offense is, hell I can't figure our the objective. Are we a passing team, a running team, an RPO team? Florida is in disarray and they will blow our doors off and we'll be back here next week saying all the same stuff and nothing will change. If I were Beamer and had a plan, I'd go find the 5 best non power 5 OCs with track records and give them a blank check. Never gonna happen though

Its worrisome that Zeb, just coming off knee surgery and unable to scramble, is still beating out the other guys.
Do you actually have faith in this coaching staff to know what they are looking at or to assess the current situation with this offense? This is the worst offense I have ever seen at any level but the coaching is worse.

Do you actually have faith in this coaching staff to know what they are looking at or to assess the current situation with this offense? This is the worst offense I have ever seen at any level but the coaching is worse.
I’ll go ahead and list the disclaimer: I’m not suggesting that Jason Brown is the Second Coming. And I know the chiders chide anything not from “the coaches” talking points.

I have supported Beamer up to this point; I have never even posted “fire Ray” or “fire Martin.”

But if Beamer trots Zeb Noland out against Florida, that’s not only stupid, it’s cowardly. He’s gotta go if he’s not going to try to win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT