ADVERTISEMENT

Best Player From Your High School

Wow, I also went to Middleton. Nice seeing a Razorback posting.

He’s before your time, graduated with me in 1979, but John LaBoard was a heck of a tailback. Truly looked like a man amongst boys. Guy just didn’t have the smarts to go anywhere.
Right on! I’ll also mention that Darius Rucker okayed football at Middleton but went on to bigger things 😆

Darlington/St John’s:
FB: Brian Scott - USC WR
BB: Derrick McQueen- Wake PG in 80s
BaseB: Orlando Hudson - MLB 2B gold glove & all star

Of note, Orlando and Brian played all 3 sports together and were/are great guys. Orlando also QB and guard. Brian also 3B and forward.

Reactions: ClowneyPosse
Football was Doug Bolin Blacksburg High class of 87. Went to Clemsux.... Basketball would be Mikki Moore. Only NBA player from School. Had a 10 plus year career and retired a few years ago.

Mikki was clearly most successful after high school but Tim Weathers was a much better high school player. Mikki didn't develop until he was at Nebraska. Was pretty shocked Tim was never more than a role player for Richmond but he was dominant in high school and still remember him shutting down NBA 1st rounder Billy Owens in the first round of March Madness his freshman year when Richmond beat Syracuse as a 15 seed.

Just a few. 😁

Yeah, those helmets are SHARP! Also, amazing what a change in coaching staff has done for that FB team over the last 3-4yrs!! Chad Leaphart has it going on!!
Have to agree, he has done an amazing job!

I went to Columbia High. We only have Miss America 1994. I remember a bunch of us sitting in Sims watching the ceremony. You could hear cheers break out all over campus when she won.

Although I have to say my fellow 1991 graduate, Tawanya Herbert, did play D1 WBB at Iowa State. She carried us to the 1991 State Championship, which we were robbed of thanks to a no-call under the basket at the end of the game.

(SC also won Miss USA 1994 but she was from Anderson.)

Hey now, don't forget about Nate Perryman (GA Tech), Geno Bell (Arkansas), or Marcus Burton (Citadel). That was the 1992 team so maybe after your time, and there are a few more D1 players if I'm not mistaken.

I ran around with some of the same crowd Callicut did. The day after he signed with CU, he was driving a new car. I always thought Earl Honeycutt from RH was just as good but was just shorter. Earl grew up down the street from me and we played 1 on 1 all the time. Unfortunately, he and 2 or 3 others were killed in a car accident his senior year.
Forgot to mention Marion Campbell. Played at Georgia then played and coached in the NFL for decades.

Goose Creek High School here.

Football is easy - Javon Kinlaw, hands down, though Brandon Shell was also pretty darn good too.
Basketball is harder. I know Arthur Carlisle played at USC in the mid 90s (was a classmate of mine) but I haven't really followed the names lately though I know they have been really good.

The best football player from Goose Creek is Tramel Terry. He was South Carolina Mr Football in 2012. Also was a top elite player that was invited to Nike. Torn ACL in the Shrine Bowl game and another ACL tear at Georgia hampered his college career and possibly a chance at the NFL. Javon Kinlaw was good in high school but very raw and had anger issues that hampered his team. He didn't hit his stride until maturing and developing at USC.

Best basketball player is Aleigha Welch who went on to play for Dawn Staley at USC and was a captain and 4 year starter.

Mikki was clearly most successful after high school but Tim Weathers was a much better high school player. Mikki didn't develop until he was at Nebraska. Was pretty shocked Tim was never more than a role player for Richmond but he was dominant in high school and still remember him shutting down NBA 1st rounder Billy Owens in the first round of March Madness his freshman year when Richmond beat Syracuse as a 15 seed.

Oh no doubt. Tim graduated a year before me. He was a great HS player. If you really want to get technical though Doug Bolin would've been the greatest basketball player as well. He averaed almost 30 a game as sophomore without a 3 point line lol. He shot 22 footers the whole game.

Easley High Green Wave best football player historically is Stanley Morgan. Went to Tennessee and played for the New England Patriots for years. I personally played with RB Eric Meekins in the late 90s and he was unbelievable. Went to Clemson and was moved to safety but played all 4 years. As a Gamecock I was glad, but as a friend of Meek I will always wonder what could have been if he'd gotten his shot running the ball. I was a tight end who saw him score many long touchdowns on Quick 8 and Quick 9 calls LOL.

Danny Dyches. Hanahan class of '67.
Former USC Center from '68 to '71... snapping to Tommy Suggs.
Never lost to Clemson while on the freshman or varsity team.
Helped get us to our first bowl and win our only conference championship before playing with the Jets and the Bills.

Last edited:
Both sad stories in their own way but, Randy Wheeler and Albert Haynesworth. Hartsville High.
I remember when Haynesworth was in high school going through the motions with his 9 total tackles his senior year, Randy Wheeler was an assistant coach in his wheelchair on the sidelines for the Red Foxes. I always wondered what Randy was thinking sitting in that wheelchair watching Haynesworth wasting all his God given ability. I do know for a fact as an offensive lineman Randy Wheeler would have buried Haynesworth at the line of scrimmage.

Reactions: H8R
Rock Hill High was probably David Angel for BB and Rick Sanford for football. David wasn't the best player on his team but he was good and 7 feet tall. David Parker was the better player and probably the best "player". Several years ago I introduced him to a doctor's wife who mentioned that she had graduated from Winthrop. David said he went to Winthrop also. She asked if he graduated and he said: "This was in the 70s , the first year they admitted males. There were 4000 girls and 100 guys. What do you think?" If you've ever been near the back gate of the fairgrounds and saw the short Gamecock bus with a guy playing the keyboard and singing, that would be David.
I went to graduate school at Winthrop from '79 to '81 and by some miracle I graduated. Have to say it was the 2 best years of my life!

Reactions: bucketdad
wow five way tie;
1A) Ben Watson
1B) Jeff Burris
1C) Cordarelle Patterson (in no particular order)
1D) Rick Sanford...
1E) Jonathan Joseph

Honorable mention:
Mason Rudolph
Justin Worley
Derek Ross
Gerald Dixon

Went to a small private school. Small = ~20 kids in my graduating class.

One kid went to Mercer on basketball scholarship and a couple years later his brother went to Furman on a football scholarship. For our school, that was a pretty big deal.

Hey now, don't forget about Nate Perryman (GA Tech), Geno Bell (Arkansas), or Marcus Burton (Citadel). That was the 1992 team so maybe after your time, and there are a few more D1 players if I'm not mistaken.
During my 4 years at CHS, we maybe won a total of 8-9 games. And most of those were won in 1989 when we made it to the first round of the playoffs, by the skin of our teeth. I think we went 0-fer my Freshman year, 1-fer my Sophomore year, maybe won 6 my Junior year (1989 playoff season), and maybe 2 my Senior year. So yeah...not all that surprising that it's hard to remember who may have gone on to D1 Football. You know CHS was really a girl's basketball school.

Reactions: RickyRooster
During my 4 years at CHS, we maybe won a total of 8-9 games. And most of those were won in 1989 when we made it to the first round of the playoffs, by the skin of our teeth. I think we went 0-fer my Freshman year, 1-fer my Sophomore year, maybe won 6 my Junior year (1989 playoff season), and maybe 2 my Senior year. So yeah...not all that surprising that it's hard to remember who may have gone on to D1 Football. You know CHS was really a girl's basketball school.

True. Coach Bobby Young could really coach 'em up!

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
We had 5 guys reach the NFL from MCHS...

Robert Ayers

Cam Newton(not that one). Syvelle’s older brother. Was in the league for a couple years, I think with the Falcons.

Quinton Teal

Mitchell Galloway

Anthony Cook

I’d say it’s between Ayers and Cook as far as the best. All were really good in high school. I think Syvelle is one of the best, and a WR named Tymere Zimmerman. He was definitely good enough to play D-1, possibly had NFL talent, just didn’t work out that way.

I was a year ahead of Ryan Bethea at Richland Northeast. Can't tell you how many Spanish Club candy bars I sold him in the halls (so many that I started giving him 2 for 1 deals). Basketball... not sure.

Oh no doubt. Tim graduated a year before me. He was a great HS player. If you really want to get technical though Doug Bolin would've been the greatest basketball player as well. He averaed almost 30 a game as sophomore without a 3 point line lol. He shot 22 footers the whole game.

yep....i was a year behind Doug and a year ahead of Tim....doug's broken foot his junior year is what got me on the court my sophomore year. He never got the benefit of the 3 as it wasn’t in place until I was a senior.

Gaffney’s Greats
Football: My favorites Robert Hardy RB late 80’s and Sidney Rice though we have had some others including Rocky McIntosh, Dominique Stevenson and Quinshad Davis.

If you go way back it’s probably Earl Clary The Gaffney Ghost who played at USC in the 1930’s.

Basketball: L.J. Peak

yep....i was a year behind Doug and a year ahead of Tim....doug's broken foot his junior year is what got me on the court my sophomore year. He never got the benefit of the 3 as it wasn’t in place until I was a senior.

And the legend of B.L. was born......

• Haha
Reactions: X-Man13
Watched him in the playoffs at Lexington hit a homerun that hasn't landed yet. Dude could crush a baseball.
In Lancaster he hit one over the road, parking lot and on top of Winn Dixie. That was the rumor. Has to be over 500ft. I have his #1 draft to Cubs baseball card.

Last edited:
Reactions: ClowneyPosse
Wow, I also went to Middleton. Nice seeing a Razorback posting.

He’s before your time, graduated with me in 1979, but John LaBoard was a heck of a tailback. Truly looked like a man amongst boys. Guy just didn’t have the smarts to go anywhere.
St Andrews guy here, 1992

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT