ADVERTISEMENT

Cant See Us Losing

The fact we are all over the place, our OL is not real good and their front is, that while Brown has performed admirably he hasn’t been in this type of situation yet, and that we often make bad to average QBs look like world beaters.

If we keep it close, I think we win.

• Haha
Reactions: ILSEB and chief2791
The fact we are all over the place, our OL is not real good and their front is, that while Brown has performed admirably he hasn’t been in this type of situation yet, and that we often make bad to average QBs look like world beaters.

If we keep it close, I think we win.
They will simply load the box and overwhelm our OL. It has worked all season against us. Any team with a decent defense can beat us by blitzing and loading the box.

I foresee either an Auburn type game where we keep it close and actually win, or a Tennessee type game where we have our high hopes crushed in the first 10min and get run out of the building. 36.41% we win - 63.59% we get run. C’mon football gods - you owe us one here!

That we couldn't beat Missouri or Kentucky or Tennessee?
Well two of those teams are good. They made great hires.....and will continue to be good. That's the scary part.
I think Mizzou made a pretty good hire in Drinkwitz. He will have some ups and downs because he coaches in the SEC now...but overall a pretty good coach/hire.

We have a long way to go. I am hoping we fake it til we make it.

CU has 80 percent chance of winning? Thier OL is weak and DJ is horrible...what am I missing g?
You're missing that SC's OL is also horrible. Hard to believe you guys will have any sucessess running on them. Speaking of running, Brown will be running for his life. Maybe he hits enough big plays on the run but that's doubtful. Clemson's offense seems to be finding their footing, despite their inconsistent QB play. You guys come out strong but it won't last. Clemson has too many horses. Goes something like this: Clemson 34 - SC 13.

It’s going to be a matter of withstanding a run by Clemson. We withstood it against auburn and stayed in the game. We could not against Tenn. We keep it close then DJ will crumble in a game with pressure that this one has as a rival game. He has everything to lose and nothing to gain in this game. Our guys really have nothing to lose. We r in a bowl, exceeded expectations, and feel we have a chance. Clemson has been a disappointment, going to a mid tier bowl after years in playoffs and if they lose to us with third string QB and first year coach, it hurts. We have that huge advantage

The Clemson D has been stout almost all season, it's their lack of offensive production that was their weak link,
For those who haven't been paying attention (hard to imagine) or are simply ignoring their offense production the last 4 games, here are points score. 30, 30, 44, 48 points.
So yes, I can see us losing, not hoping to see it, but I think that is the most likely outcome.

Question: is Clemson that much better than Auburn and really how good is Wake?

I'm just hoping we don't lose the game before we step on the field and that's on Beamer! Got to express that they are not the same team that's been a NC contender the last five years and they can be beat if we play our game and limit mistakes and take advantage of a few!

Question: is Clemson that much better than Auburn and really how good is Wake?

I'm just hoping we don't lose the game before we step on the field and that's on Beamer! Got to express that they are not the same team that's been a NC contender the last five years and they can be beat if we play our game and limit mistakes and take advantage of a few!
UPC is markedly better than Auburn and jelling - to whatever extent they are able - at the right time. Wake is a smart, well-coached, but undersized football team. They got out-athleted last week by the only team in the ACC that can clearly do it.

Last edited:
Clemson is markedly better than Auburn and jelling - to whatever extent they are able - at the right time. Wake is a smart, well-coached, but undersized football team. They got out-athleted last week by the only team in the ACC that can clearly do it.
Is Clemson markedly better than Auburn really? Clemson has the 96th offense to Auburn's 46th, with Auburn having a much tougher strength of schedule. Compare defenses and Auburn is at 56 which is pretty mediocre while Clemson has the 15th defense, but when you factor in level of competition, Clemson's 15th defense probably wouldn't look so hot if they played Auburn's 3rd toughest SOS compared to their 45th SOS.

Is Clemson markedly better than Auburn really? Clemson has the 96th offense to Auburn's 46th, with Auburn having a much tougher strength of schedule. Compare defenses and Auburn is at 56 which is pretty mediocre while Clemson has the 15th defense, but when you factor in level of competition, Clemson's 15th defense probably wouldn't look so hot if they played Auburn's 3rd toughest SOS compared to their 45th SOS.
Fact, that's a damn good post!

The Clemson D has been stout almost all season, it's their lack of offensive production that was their weak link,
For those who haven't been paying attention (hard to imagine) or are simply ignoring their offense production the last 4 games, here are points score. 30, 30, 44, 48 points.
So yes, I can see us losing, not hoping to see it, but I think that is the most likely outcome.
And, for those actually paying attention, that sudden burst of offense that Clemson has displayed in their last 4 games has come against the following 4 teams:

FSU - 71st in the nation in total defense, 75th in the nation in scoring defense
Louisville - 77th in the nation in total defense, 91st in the nation in scoring defense
UConn - (LMAO) 111th in the nation in total defense, 104th in the nation in scoring defense
W Forest - 110th in the nation in total defense, 110th in the nation in scoring defense

Not exactly a defensive gauntlet that Clemson had to overcome.

By comparison, we are 48th in the nation in total and scoring defense. Does that guarantee a Gamecock victory? Probably not, because our offense is suspect. But, I think we we show up ready to play.

Like your optimism.. I think we need to play our best game of the year and be +2 in turnover margin. Along with the loud homefield advantage, think we can win this one.

• Haha
Reactions: ILSEB
UPC is better RIGHT NOW than Auburn. That's all that matters. That's not saying we can't win the game. But RIGHT NOW, UPC is better than anyone we have beaten.

Last edited:
UPC is better RIGHT NOW than Auburn. That's all that matters. That's not saying we can't win the game. But RIGHT NOW, UPC is better that anyone we have beaten.
The Clemson defense is definitely the best defense we have played since UGa. They are and were better than AU and UF when we played them. However, their offense is not as good as AU's and I would easily suggest that they aren't as good as UF when we played either team.

Their offense really isn't THAT much better than the one we saw earlier in the season. But, it has given the impression that it has turned the corner because of how weak their opponents were the last month. Their opponents had some of the worst defenses in the nation, and Venables can easily pick apart a weak defense.

The Clemson offense has simply lost way too may starters and key replacements to be considered 'better' at this point. You don't lose players like Ross, Ngata, Ladson, Galloway, Bockhorst, Williams (OL). and potentially many others who may be playing with injuries they have been nursing all season and some how magically get 'better' than before their departures.

Last edited:
UPC is better RIGHT NOW than Auburn. That's all that matters. That's not saying we can't win the game. But RIGHT NOW, UPC is better that anyone we have beaten.
Well after seeing the defensive rankings of the opponents that coincided with there offensive resurgence I'm no longer certain their 6 remaining offensive lineman magically just became great, they may just be the benefactors of lousy defenses. Doesn't mean they won't be the best but it sure ain't by a mile. Shipley does worry me a good bit though. This is how I look at the offense, I don't think anyone would argue clemson has a better RB than Tank, Auburn definitely has the better OL. If you switch Auburn's backup is just as capable of making big time throws, I'm just not sure if the throws into the dirt from a giant that can't quite compensate for his height is better or worse than an injured DJU with lousy velocity, spotty accuracy and real problems reading zone defense. Clemson has better TEs and maybe WRs. I really think there's a lot of unknown quantities between these teams where they looked good against teams that have struggled defensively all year and we have benefitted from some implosions. Truth is I think the only way we really know how these two teams stack up is in the game, there are too many outside factors that can't be quantified and accounted for otherwise.

The Clemson defense is definitely the best defense we have played since UGa. They are and were better than AU and UF when we played them. However, their offense is not as good as AU's and I would easily suggest that they aren't as good as UF when we played either team.

Their offense really isn't THAT much better than the one we say earlier in the season. But, it has given the impression that it has turned the corner because of how weak their opponents were the last month. Their opponents had some of the worst defenses in the nation, and Venables can easily pick apart a weak defense.

The Clemson offense has simply lost way too may starters and key replacements to be considered 'better' at this point. You don't lose players like Ross, Ngata, Ladson, Galloway, Bockhorst, Williams (OL). and potentially many others who may be playing with injuries they have been nursing all season and some how magically get 'better' than before their departures.
I'll say one thing on their D. They got a sophomore or freshman DT that came in for injuries and really upped the production.

Well after seeing the defensive rankings of the opponents that coincided with there offensive resurgence I'm no longer certain their 6 remaining offensive lineman magically just became great, they may just be the benefactors of lousy defenses. Doesn't mean they won't be the best but it sure ain't by a mile. Shipley does worry me a good bit though. This is how I look at the offense, I don't think anyone would argue clemson has a better RB than Tank, Auburn definitely has the better OL. If you switch Auburn's backup is just as capable of making big time throws, I'm just not sure if the throws into the dirt from a giant that can't quite compensate for his height is better or worse than an injured DJU with lousy velocity, spotty accuracy and real problems reading zone defense. Clemson has better TEs and maybe WRs. I really think there's a lot of unknown quantities between these teams where they looked good against teams that have struggled defensively all year and we have benefitted from some implosions. Truth is I think the only way we really know how these two teams stack up is in the game, there are too many outside factors that can't be quantified and accounted for otherwise.
What you're saying is that we're both projecting. I'm good with that.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ILSEB

Their offense really isn't THAT much better than the one we say earlier in the season. But, it has given the impression that it has turned the corner because of how weak their opponents were the last month. Their opponents had some of the worst defenses in the nation, and Venables can easily pick apart a weak defense.

I refer you to the response I gave the gentleman in post #28. I'm comfortable with my assessment, as I am sure both you and he are

• Haha
Reactions: ILSEB and Lakecock1
CU has 80 percent chance of winning? Thier OL is weak and DJ is horrible...what am I missing g?
When we have the ball, we don't match up vs their Dline well at all. We will have our opportunities at shots down field, but look for Clemson to mix things up to confuse Brown and if they are able to get a rush with 3 or 4 guys, we are in trouble offensively. Getting the backs involved in the game is a plan is a must even if that means an extension of the run game with short passes out the backfield will be key because lining up and just running at them isn't going to work for us. Their linebackers are good but they aren't overly fast either, so this could be something to exploit.

When they have the ball, we hoping that DJ continues to struggle, especially like he has on the road. This will be by far the most hostile environment he has played Infront of since being at Clemson, and he has not been very steady on the road this year. The problem I could see us having is even though they are not great at the Oline position we are not big upfront on the Dline which is why teams have sucess running right at us. The last few weeks they seem to have found a little something with the running game. If they are able to get that going and staying with it (unlike Auburn did) it will take the pressure off DJ and it will be along night for our defense. Now if they can't get the run game going consistently, then that opens the door for our pass rush and that's when you see him rush things and makes some critical mistakes. One thing to really watch for is how they perform offensively on the road as they have averaged only 17 points this season away from Death Valley. But I think this is why you see them at 80%-win possibility and the line at double digits. They still have alot of talent on that team that is riddled with injuries and playing in Columbia this year is certainly a uphill climb, but in that same breath, it's going to be equally as difficult for us against them as well.

Last edited:

True words, Clemson will be playing with out 20 scholarship players tomorrow night! Several significant players at that!

• Haha
Reactions: ILSEB and Lakecock1

You are missing some level of fair-mindedness.

Clemson has an elite defensive line and they are more talented than we are at nearly every position. Their defense is miles and miles better than any defense we've faced since Georgia.

As Ellis Johnson said earlier this week on the radio, the gap isn't as big as it once was from a talent standpoint but Clemson is the more talented team nearly at every position.

That doesn't mean Clemson will play well. It doesn't mean they will win.

It does mean they have the potential to run away with this game if they are hitting on most of their cylinders.

Clemson's defensive line is a hundred miles better than Missouri's - one that gave us all sorts of fits.

You are missing some level of fair-mindedness.

Clemson has an elite defensive line and they are more talented than we are at nearly every position. Their defense is miles and miles better than any defense we've faced since Georgia.

As Ellis Johnson said earlier this week on the radio, the gap isn't as big as it once was from a talent standpoint but Clemson is the more talented team nearly at every position.

That doesn't mean Clemson will play well. It doesn't mean they will win.

It does mean they have the potential to run away with this game if they are hitting on most of their cylinders.

Clemson's defensive line is a hundred miles better than Missouri's - one that gave us all sorts of fits.
They are talented but they aren't the 85 Bears. Plus you don't compare your Dline to their Dline. You compare it to who they will be competing against. Our Dline vs their Online, close 50/50. Our Oline vs their Dline, advantage tateru. That's the two most important units. Add in special teams and turnovers and you end up with a coin toss as to who has the advantage tomorrow.

We also played Auburn with their backup QB. Not sure we win that game with Nix starting. Auburn's offensive stats are kind of irrelative at this point. We all know how Clemson has recruited last several years. Better talent than Auburn. D is much better and their offense is unfortunately peaking at the right time for them. I'm going to keep the faith that we'll play lights out and find a way to win, not sure what team some folks have been watching.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT