ADVERTISEMENT

Caslen: AD Tanner asked FSU...

What Caslen said is not shocking. What is a little shocking is that he said it. Just doesn't show good leadership , to me. I wonder if Champ knew Ray was talking with FSU about how to handle a huge buy out. And then he advertises that FSU has a whole lot more money than we do. Just not a good way of handling business and not good PR either if you ask me.
I didn't find anything he said surprising or objectionable. Actually, he said what most anyone was already thinking.

Again, I think he was letting it be known that Muschamp is not being fired nor guaranteed of a job. This addresses those who have felt sure Muschamp would not be fired as well as those who think Muschamp should be fired immediately. Caslen was just saying all options were on the table.

I don't see it as a problem. Unwittingly or not, he might have just made it imperative that we do what we ought to do anyway.
...he's almost painted himself into a corner with double speak....but no one really cares about this IMO.
If they fire Muschamp, they fire him.

Admittedly I have not read the article, but wasn't it reported that the FSU buyout was done with booster money. If that's the case what would be the need to inquire how the buyout was performed.
I'm obviously missing something, or maybe I'm just tired this evening.

Reactions: SoutternFriedCock
What Caslen said is not shocking. What is a little shocking is that he said it. Just doesn't show good leadership , to me. I wonder if Champ knew Ray was talking with FSU about how to handle a huge buy out. And then he advertises that FSU has a whole lot more money than we do. Just not a good way of handling business and not good PR either if you ask me.

I think Caslen believes the BOT or Tanner won't do anything with Muschamp and he is forcing them to make a move with Muschamp...

Tanner last week gave two statements...

From the UNC game at half time Caslen said on the radio that this team isn't focused... Too many personal foul calls...

He saw it from Game 1 of the season...

I think Caslen believes the BOT or Tanner won't do anything with Muschamp and he is forcing them to make a move with Muschamp...

From the UNC game at half time Caslen said on the radio that this team isn't focused... Too many personal foul calls...

Cogent interpretation. He might not be the patient type.

To me, it comes off looking like due diligence with no real desire to make a coaching change. As for anything being said about it: who could honestly be surprised that this discussion occurred?
For me, I’m not surprised the inquiry happened - as a matter of fact, I’m rather relieved. It does make it seem as though they’re doing their homework here. But I’m sorry, I just think it’s a bad look for this to be stated publicly.

Reactions: paladin181

Yes, and Caslen has now subtly engaged the fans in the idea that getting rid of Muschamp is an option but not necessarily a done deal. I think this was more of a message to Muschamp.

For all our bluster, we really are the kind and gentle type. Caslen has all but said Muschamp won’t be fired during the season, but he’s probably going to look hard at firing after the season. Today, he’s confirmed that they are actively looking at all avenues to complete this termination, while also taking a subtle shot at his AD’s competency. Because, he’d probably like to fire the AD too. I take all this as Caslen letting us know this situation is screwed up and he’s looking at ways to fix it. It’s nice to see someone acknowledge the performance has been awful and we’re not going to blindly carry on with this nonsense.

For all our bluster, we really are the kind and gentle type. Caslen has all but said Muschamp won’t be fired during the season, but he’s probably going to look hard at firing after the season. Today, he’s confirmed that they are actively looking at all avenues to complete this termination, while also taking a subtle shot at his AD’s competency. Because, he’d probably like to fire the AD too. I take all this as Caslen letting us know this situation is screwed up and he’s looking at ways to fix it. It’s nice to see someone acknowledge the performance has been awful and we’re not going to blindly carry on with this nonsense.
This is why I don't understand why some here are so upset by Caslen's comments.

Reactions: NetworkX
Admittedly I have not read the article, but wasn't it reported that the FSU buyout was done with booster money. If that's the case what would be the need to inquire how the buyout was performed.
I'm obviously missing something, or maybe I'm just tired this evening.

The question was probably more about the structure of the buyout (terms) than the source of the funds.

But this demonstrates the amateurish nature of our AD. First, you go to the lawyers and talk privately about how to approach Coach Muschamp. Let them reach out to the FSU legal team about terms and structure. Once you have a plan then you discuss it with BOT members. You have a plan that you put into action when and if the time comes.

Speaking about it publicly means one of two things. First, Caslen is as incompetent as Tanner in which case neither should be employed in their current positions. Second, Caslen has made up his mind that Muschamp has to go but believes that Tanner and the BOT won't do anything on their own and he has to provoke a decision.

I hope it is the latter and that he and Tanner have had long conversations about their options. In that case, it might be Caslen who suggested that Tanner reach out to FSU to see how it was done.

Could be ...

The only thing it might do is cause Muschamp to resign and negotiate a buyout. What's this garbage about FSU having more money than us, anyway. I don't believe it.

Muschamp stays through early signing period and a press conference is announced the next day! LOL

The only thing it might do is cause Muschamp to resign and negotiate a buyout. What's this garbage about FSU having more money than us, anyway. I don't believe it.
Maybe they’ve saved more money. They haven’t spent any on football in years.

I did not know Caslen made that comment at halftime of the UNC game on the radio. But he is correct in that assessment .

Sounds like a take on the “you got us into this mess now you get us out of it.”

Maybe they’ve saved more money. They haven’t spent any on football in years.
Supposedly, they were in debt up to their eyeballs and the buyout came almost solely from boosters. Conversely, we have the 15th or so richest athletic department in the country. We could easily eat that buyout as long as we negotiated a palatable payment plan.

The notion that Pres and BOT leaked buyout discussions to try to force a termination gives our “leadership” way too much credit, as can be seen by Pres already backtracking.

Sadly, we simply have a Pres and lawyers on the BOT that seem to know nothing of what it means to keep sensitive matters confidential. And lawyers and business people on the BOT that approve contracts evidently without determining whether they can be paid for. The kind of things so boneheaded it ought to prevent you from getting a diploma at USC, much less manage it.

Reactions: cockgun
The notion that Pres and BOT leaked buyout discussions to try to force a termination gives our “leadership” way too much credit, as can be seen by Pres already backtracking.

Sadly, we simply have a Pres and lawyers on the BOT that seem to know nothing of what it means to keep sensitive matters confidential. And lawyers and business people on the BOT that approve contracts evidently without determining whether they can be paid for. The kind of things so boneheaded it ought to prevent you from getting a diploma at USC, much less manage it.
I'm heartened to see that you believe the events reported in the first release would have been clever. Me, too.

about how it managed its Taggart buyout.
https://www.scnow.com/news/local/ca...cle_2fc87775-6600-58c6-b371-a9a9b8c151a3.html

“No, but our athletic director (Ray Tanner) has,” Caslen said during an interview session at the Morning News

Tiger guy here:

It's times like these that I thank God USC is our rival. I truly could not ask for more.

giphy.gif

Supposedly, they were in debt up to their eyeballs and the buyout came almost solely from boosters. Conversely, we have the 15th or so richest athletic department in the country. We could easily eat that buyout as long as we negotiated a palatable payment plan.

1million per year for X amount of years till paid off.its like him winning the lottery..

I don't see it as a problem. Unwittingly or not, he might have just made it imperative that we do what we ought to do anyway.

Agreed.....Actually I think they wanted this out there on purpose....Muschamp is gone its just a matter of how messy a break up he wants....They can dirty him up and make it hard for him to even get a coordinator job if they want to....

Frankly I think they are sending a message to Muschamp

1million per year for X amount of years till paid off.its like him winning the lottery..
I was thinking almost the exact same thing! Give him the choice of that for the full amount OR $3 million per year over the next 4 years for lower but quicker buyout. Something along those lines.

I did not know Caslen made that comment at halftime of the UNC game on the radio. But he is correct in that assessment .

I heard the quote when questioned by Suggs as to what he thought our play was up to the halftime. He said that we appeared to be undisciplined and that penalties where costing us the game. He reiterated that the other day. I have worked with military senior staff, they don't mess around with being second best, just saying. I agree with that philosophy as well!

The second that buyout drops to $18 million, FIRE HIM.

$18.8 vs $19.4 to fire him now.....Honestly I'd fire him just as soon as ClemsSon is done beating him like a rented mule yet again.....

Hopefully they are already out there looking around for a replacement and if so and they have someone in mind $600K is a small price to pay

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT