ADVERTISEMENT

Caslen: AD Tanner asked FSU...

It's time to handle this situation professionally. A day or two after our last game, call in CWM and inform him, "Will I believe it is in our best interest for us to go in a different direction. We appreciate your efforts to the university. We will have our attorneys contact you agent to discuss terms of your buyout. I will allow you to address the team before we make any public announcement".
And there you are, quick and to the point, no more vacillating, and/or angst. and most importantly DRAMA.

Then move forward.

Wow, our football program may be doomed with these guys running things. We may get rid of Muschamp, but I’m starting to worry about who we would hire.

This, if I were a coach and I would look at:
1. The challenging landscape of UGA and Clemson
2. Playing the SEC
4. Tenn and UNC rising

and say man that's a tough row to hoe but if the situation with leadership is right I can take it on...

Insert our president and AD clown show and it will take someone with a severe mental disorder to come here.

Reactions: Cola G'Cock
I'm of the opinion that when it comes to the govt and schools, spending doesn't matter. Incoming money does. I'll give you an example. We are now in the time of year where nearly all govt departments and all publicly funded schools are scrambling to spend what is left in their budgets (no matter how unnecessary those expenditures are) to avoid having their budgets cut next year for not spending what they were alloted. That's the way of the govt.
As much as I'd like to see such depts and schools run as a business, I'd be beating my head against the wall to expect as much. In short, because of the system, I don't get too concerned about buyouts and other forms of spending. But I do believe (because income matters) when the powers that be think more revenue will be generated by making a change, a change will be made. It's all about the money.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I completely understand. It also feels to me that, after the hi-jinks of yesterday, there's no way these three men are going to be able to work together and something is going to have to give.
I agree, something has to give soon, these 3 will never be able to trust one another going forward. Time to clean house.

Reactions: king ward
1million per year for X amount of years till paid off.its like him winning the lottery..

He would probably not accept a payout that extends longer than his contract. (2024) If he is fired we are going to be paying 2 coaches for a long time. We better get the next hire right.

I was thinking almost the exact same thing! Give him the choice of that for the full amount OR $3 million per year over the next 4 years for lower but quicker buyout. Something along those lines.

I'd be surprised if he took that deal. There are ways to structure it so the cost is less for SC but it won't be a lot less. He has a written contract that protects him from this very thing. Unless they've got an argument that Muschamp breached the contract the school owes him the full amount. If someone owed me $20 million and said, "would you take 12 million" I'd laugh at them.

I'd be surprised if he took that deal. There are ways to structure it so the cost is less for SC but it won't be a lot less. He has a written contract that protects him from this very thing. Unless they've got an argument that Muschamp breached the contract the school owes him the full amount. If someone owed me $20 million and said, "would you take 12 million" I'd laugh at them.

It's a sure bet the buyout includes a stipulation includes a requirement that he make an honest effort at finding another job. In that case, he could certainly settle for considerably less if that restriction were removed.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
Well there are better ways to clean up a mess than just slinging crap all over the room, which is essentially what he's doing on these "tours."
Agreed but he also has the problem of Tanner. Regardless of how incompetent he is as an AD he won the back to back titles and is still beloved as a figure in Gamecock history. Making a move against Tanner is risky among the general public who really don’t pay attention to what is actually going on.

It's a sure bet the buyout includes a stipulation includes a requirement that he make an honest effort at finding another job. In that case, he could certainly settle for considerably less if that restriction were removed.

That's the only thing I can think of as well. But that begs the question; is he employable? Would anyone hire him as a DC?

I would not.

That's the only thing I can think of as well. But that begs the question; is he employable? Would anyone hire him as a DC?

I would not.

I agree and I think this may actually work in our favor. He's really failed as a coach for the last 9 years. His 4 years at UF ended poorly. In his one year as DC at Auburn, they were 66th in total defense and 50th in scoring defense...hardly the numbers of a defensive guru. Now the wheels have come after 4 seasons here.

I would say right now, he's highly damaged goods. I can't imagine he'll ever get another job in the SEC.

He may decide it's in his best interest to just take a year or two off to let the stink of his recent failures wear off. In that case, he might decide to settle for a smaller buyout so he can not have to find a job.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
about how it managed its Taggart buyout.
https://www.scnow.com/news/local/ca...cle_2fc87775-6600-58c6-b371-a9a9b8c151a3.html

“No, but our athletic director (Ray Tanner) has,” Caslen said during an interview session at the Morning News
I agree and I think this may actually work in our favor. He's really failed as a coach for the last 9 years. His 4 years at UF ended poorly. In his one year as DC at Auburn, they were 66th in total defense and 50th in scoring defense...hardly the numbers of a defensive guru. Now the wheels have come after 4 seasons here.

I would say right now, he's highly damaged goods. I can't imagine he'll ever get another job in the SEC.

He may decide it's in his best interest to just take a year or two off to let the stink of his recent failures wear off. In that case, he might decide to settle for a smaller buyout so he can not have to find a job.

He can likely still land a mid-tier SEC job as a dedicated DC. However, believe it will eat into his SC buyout if he does so.

If muschamp and his agent are good business men, the uglier this gets publicly, they won’t be willing to negotiate any kind of settlement.

That's why all this seems so amateurish. The only forgiving aspect is that Ray Tanner and President Caslen are under enormous pressure. Their days are probably consumed by this issue. That can make inexperienced people do and say things they probably should not.

Reactions: ShadowWeasel
I did not know Caslen made that comment at halftime of the UNC game on the radio. But he is correct in that assessment .

Yeah, I was pissed when watching the first half of the UNC and then I tuned in on the radio just the beginning at half time and Tommy Suggs they interviewed Caslen and asked him his thoughts of the first half and that's when he made his assessment on the team...

That interview stuck in Tommy's head and he referred back to was Caslen said later on...

I heard the quote when questioned by Suggs as to what he thought our play was up to the halftime. He said that we appeared to be undisciplined and that penalties where costing us the game. He reiterated that the other day. I have worked with military senior staff, they don't mess around with being second best, just saying. I agree with that philosophy as well!

This is it!! What Caslen said... "we appeared to be undisciplined and that penalties where costing us the game."

I said focus, but the word is actually "undisciplined" a powerful statement by Caslen and that's a big difference...

Caslen is in way over his head and our board of trustees is a CF. At this point we need to keep Muschamp in place, fix the BOT and hire a new president before we do anything. There is no way I want Caslen involved in hiring a new coach.

You're way off on your assessment of Caslen....

He called it on Muschamp in UNC game... He is someone we need to listen to, the only person higher up in the University who is looking at our programs from the outside...

Everyone higher up in the University is keeping the the status quo and being the yes men....

Wrong.... He's qualified to lead anything

I wholehearted disagree with you and I have 30 years experience in higher education to back it up. Caslen may do well in a military environment where the general is never questioned. On the campus of a major university the president MUST be a consensus builder. Caslen is not. Watching him interact with students is painfully uncomfortable. The students are uncomfortable with him, and he with them.

The president of the States flagship university also needs to be deft at maneuvering in the State House. His dictatorial nature is disastrous politically.

We should all be worried about our university with this guy at the helm.

Reactions: Bleedgarnet33
I wholehearted disagree with you and I have 30 years experience in higher education to back it up. Caslen may do well in a military environment where the general is never questioned. On the campus of a major university the president MUST be a consensus builder. Caslen is not. Watching him interact with students is painfully uncomfortable. The students are uncomfortable with him, and he with them.

The president of the States flagship university also needs to be deft at maneuvering in the State House. His dictatorial nature is disastrous politically.

Weird. I live out of state but have a number of friends in the state whose children attend USC. They all love him.

Disagree

Yeah, that was the intent of my last post. Offer very small payment for the full amount or larger chunks for a lesser amount (to be determined).

I can't worry about a guy who is trying to cleanup the main problem in America: higher education and it's egregious failure to teach. Campuses are little islands of arrogant social manipulation at the expense of education. If you want to play the "I have" game, I have two degrees from USC.. BA in Journalism and MA in Management. Considering the mainstream media and the behavior of what passes for management at USC, both degrees are being devalued at an alarming rate. I agree Caslen is making a mess; but leadership style is evolving quickly these days, and amidst the privileged intellectual wasteland, perhaps strong, principled leadership looks to be the odd behavior. I'll wait for results because college sports is all I have left to respect on college campuses these days.

I can't worry about a guy who is trying to cleanup the main problem in America: higher education and it's egregious failure to teach. Campuses are little islands of arrogant social manipulation at the expense of education. If you want to play the "I have" game, I have two degrees from USC.. BA in Journalism and MA in Management. Considering the mainstream media and the behavior of what passes for management at USC, both degrees are being devalued at an alarming rate. I agree Caslen is making a mess; but leadership style is evolving quickly these days, and amidst the privileged intellectual wasteland, perhaps strong, principled leadership looks to be the odd behavior. I'll wait for results because college sports is all I have left to respect on college campuses these days.
Great post. Schools are no longer for education but are used for social experimentation. Their sole purpose should be education. They deliberately dumb down our electorate so they can be more easily indoctrinated and controlled.

This is entirely too authoritarian. What you are essentially saying is that leadership in a liberal arts state university needs to adopt a military style which says, "do it this way and this way only." That's not how Universities have or should operate.

Academia (liberal arts side) is where young people explore ideas by studying the writings and teachings of history to plot a course for the future. The authoritarian approach is actually anti-intellectual. It limits freedom and discourages critical thinking. The world - our universe - is about more than business and profit. We advance by learning how to make all of our lives better. We share the planet. We don't dominate it.

This all mirrors the dichotomy we see everywhere these days. The reason there is "fake news" is because people are gullible. They believe what they are told to believe and don't question it. A liberal arts education should teach people to think on their own. Sometimes that means resisting authoritarianism. We are in grave danger of forgetting how this country was founded and why freedom is important.

Reactions: SOSUSC

Your understanding of Generals must have come from movies.... A General not a consensus builder..... Come on man.... The students are uncomfortable around him? That's a broad statement..... Some people are always uncomfortable around authority.... Just human nature.. Stop watching war movies

This is entirely too authoritarian. What you are essentially saying is that leadership in a liberal arts state university needs to adopt a military style which says, "do it this way and this way only." That's not how Universities have or should operate.

Academia (liberal arts side) is where young people explore ideas by studying the writings and teachings of history to plot a course for the future. The authoritarian approach is actually anti-intellectual. It limits freedom and discourages critical thinking. The world - our universe - is about more than business and profit. We advance by learning how to make all of our lives better. We share the planet. We don't dominate it.

This all mirrors the dichotomy we see everywhere these days. The reason there is "fake news" is because people are gullible. They believe what they are told to believe and don't question it. A liberal arts education should teach people to think on their own. Sometimes that means resisting authoritarianism. We are in grave danger of forgetting how this country was founded and why freedom is important.
I fail to see where I suggested authorial principles. Clearly your bias against anything military is coloring your response. It is, however, another thing to suggest colleges should not have any agreed upon principles and goals for it's young people other than say and do anything you want because that's true freedom. Your shutdown of my original post because you....you...determined it authoritarian reveals the truth of the consensus crowd. They don't aspire to consensus, they conspire to let's do it how I say do it. As they say, if you don't stand for something you will fall for anything. Even, ironically, hiring a head coach you know is a failure at that job. The idiots are truly running the asylum on all levels. I just want to save the football program, not have a political argument. As I said, higher education is a wasteland and I have given up on it. And this is a sports board.

Last edited:
I was in the elevator with a BOT member this morning. Thought about asking him about the Caslen report, but he looked fairly stressed out, and my question could have put me in the doghouse. LOL

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT