ADVERTISEMENT

Caslen - Biggest regret of his life was coming to USC

It can’t be this hard to hire a university president. Find someone who can fund raise first, give a speech or two each year, and maybe make a few “big-picture” decisions.
Smart people want to be here. It is unbelievable how underperforming the University proves to be time after time.

I have no idea why anyone would continue to donate money with those dinosaurs in the BOT.

It’s refreshing to see someone admit it’s a mistake to use your political connections to get an important job for which you are totally unqualified. Caslen please spread the word!

I didn’t read what he said but Asslen is one of the biggest ass clowns I’ve ever seen. It worries me that a so called general would sit around blowing snot bubbles over how people were mean to him. It’s scary that a military leader could act this way. No wonder his inbreed kids did the same thing coming from this mental midget’s gene pool.

This exemplifies why USC will never be consistently competitive in football. The BOT voted for this guy to lead our university and he absolutely despised us. Bravo to the Post & Courier for exposing this piece of shit. Sorry admins, but Robert Caslen is a sorry piece of shit.
Caslen,

Post & Courier Article

Caslen,
Was recommended by Our Governor.

Do you think Clemson would Allow Our Governor to Recommend their School President?
No Way. I Wish Our Politicians Were Forbidden from getting Involved In How Our University Managed.

No Way. I Wish Our Politicians Were Forbidden from getting Involved In How Our University Managed.
There is no reason why Clemson should have a voting majority of permanent trustees who aren't appointed by the legislature and we don't. We're both public schools who operate at the expense of the South Carolina taxpayer.

Our BOT is and has been clueless on multiple levels for some time. And Caslen bad-mouthing a former employer publicly is immature and unprofessional.

It would not have taken much for Caslen to get people behind him - he couldn't (or wouldn't) get out of his own way with the plagiarism incident, alienating Darla Moore, and confusing South Carolina with California - and those are just the public incidents.

We've got an incredible alumni base and some excellent academic programs. Our BOT needs reforming. Make it USC undergrad alumni only, don't put the Governor or Superintendent of Education on the Board, and stop having members based on the state Judicial Circuits. Also, there are 9 lawyers and 3 bankers on the Board and a bunch of old white guys as well. I'm an old white guy myself, but we need more entrepreneurs, tech people, and folks who are dialed in to modern trends to guide the school and choose its leadership (particularly future Presidents and ADs). Unfortunately, the rules and traditions currently in place mean we will only change at a glacial pace.
Wish I could hit "Like" more than once on this. I completely agree.

Can someone explain McMaster's thought process in ramming Caslen through? McMaster has 2 degrees from here. I would imagine he loves his alma mater. His son was at USC when I was in school there and their family house is on campus. You would think he'd want the strongest and most effective leader possible.

Reactions: caughtlookin
It can’t be this hard to hire a university president. Find someone who can fund raise first, give a speech or two each year, and maybe make a few “big-picture” decisions.
WRONG!!!

We need a PhD from an IVY league school who has worked at a TOP Tier Research University. We need someone who understands we are an Academic Institution whose athletic teams play in a major conference. The President needs to be out in front of people ie, Alumni, Donors, Friends of the University, the state of South Carolina and region.

I personally want Darla Moore to lead the next campaign for a President.

I was just look at the bio's of the president at UGA and UF and both have raised their statues in Academic rankings as well as fundraising.

I want the next President to focus on improving our academic standing, increasing research dollars, hiring a top notch athletic director to lead our athletic programs, and improving the reputation of our University.

I was adamantly against his hire from the jump and it was indeed a devastating mistake for USC, but I have to say I never understood why Caslen wanted to take this job in the first place. After all the controversy and protest over his botched hiring process (feelings which were 100% justified), why would you want to work at a place where most of your constituents -- faculty, students, and alumni -- absolutely hate you? No crap it was a mistake for him, he was well behind the 8-ball even before he started plagiarizing and calling us California and whatnot. The winning move for him would have been to not play, but I guess his ego got in the way and he was out to prove something. Running a military academy has nothing to do with overseeing a public research institution, and that was abundantly clear from the word go. I don't know how you get mad at other people's valid concerns, especially when you failed catastrophically at a job you weren't qualified for in the first place. If he wants to call this a "hostile" environment, well, sure -- but only because he should have never been here to begin with. He had the chance to gracefully decline and walk away, but instead he made a mess.

As a former military officer I have to say that I am very concerned about the quality, integrity and leadership of our current crop of Flag Grade Officers. This guy is another example of the decline in our military leadership. Not sure why he was ever hired for this position?
Same here. The culture of the US Army officer corps has been terrible going back to the end of WWII. The culture is geared toward producing "managers", not leaders. Based on my experience in the Army from 1981 to 2006, West Point and Army ROTC are nothing more than play soldiering.

Example: When I was looking at colleges in 1980, my father took me to North Georgia College in Dahlonega, a military college that conferred Regular Army commissions on graduates. When I went for a visit, the first thing I saw was cadets playing intramural football with pads on. I thought then, "What is this high school Harry bullcrap? These guys should be practicing taking objectives and defending objectives." I asked one of the cadets, "Where is the weapons range? Are you guys issued weapons?" He looked at me like I was crazy. What I DID see was a whole lot of unnecessary garrison nonsense, like shiny shoes, buffing floors, and squaring away racks.

I wanted to be, and did become, a combat infantry officer. I can tell you from my experience that a standard college education did nothing to prepare me for my career. I felt it was a four year waste of time. Don't get me wrong: I certainly believe that if you plan to be a plump and happy logistics or engineering officer, a college degree is vital.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Can someone explain McMaster's thought process in ramming Caslen through? McMaster has 2 degrees from here. I would imagine he loves his alma mater. His son was at USC when I was in school there and their family house is on campus. You would think he'd want the strongest and most effective leader possible.
Well you would have to ask him that but I think you’ve seen from him what priority number one is and it’s not The University of South Carolina.

He is a slumlord that does own a house on campus that should be condemned. You wouldn’t want your kid living in it.

Weakening state universities’ standing & the liberal arts educations they provide is a definite goal for Tea Party/MAGAit politicians like Foghorn. McMaster was just especially stupid in allowing this political favor from Trumpland to advance.

I mean what do you expect? You have a dog shit governor who sounds like foghorn leghorn doing the hiring.

I’m so glad I don’t live in SC. I so poorly run. However we’re prob about to buy a 3rd home in Charleston soon. Little downtown pied a terre for weekend get aways in fall and winter when we don’t use our other weekend house in NC.

Last edited:
So after being found unqualified by the original search committee, he pulls political strings to get into another chance

Then

Student reject him
Faculty find unqualified
BOT chooses not hire him

He then once again colludes with McMaster and by political cronyism is forced upon the University.

He fails at his job through public and gross incompetence not to mention flagrant plagiarism.

Colludes with chairman of BOT to end run BOT to save his job.

Then plays the poor pitiful me victim card.... “they’re so mean! All I did was wreck the hiring process, with selfish strong arm political cronyism so I could get a job I was unqualified for. Fail at my job. Why are they so mean?”
I do not believe Caslen pulled strings…I think our Governor and Board members who wanted him did the pulling. I was not in fair of hiring him. I watched the YouTube of some of his interviews with students, etc. He was just the total opposite of the smooth Pastides. However, once he was hired…I tried to like him. I thought he put in the effort. I was dismayed that he slighted Darla Moore. I think the disaster of the graduation ceremonies was probably what he said…he was tired, distracted, didn’t catch the speech mistake, etc. However, I never felt we needed to turn to the military for our President. I, too, wish he had never accepted the job.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
It’s a little bit of both. It has definitely become hostile, especially on Social Media. But people should see through him as no matter where this happened the place was going to be hostile. You don’t congratulate the graduates from the university of California and treat your biggest donor in school history the way he and others did and not get hostility.

What’s worse is there are people, that despite all of these things, still threw their unwavering support his way. He alienated those folks in this article. It’s clear he made a big mistake coming here, but nowhere near the mistake USC made in brining a man of his character here. His boys told us everything we needed to know when he got shot down the first time. He’s doing exactly what they did. The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

On his Facebook page, his son Rob Caslen has a USC symbol with a slash through it.

Reactions: winloseortie
Didn't they keep him on as a consultant after his firing? If so, that arrangement needs to end immediately.
I think that was just for a few more months after his resignation. But who knows, they may still be paying him like we do former coaches.

The worst part is we could have made school and even SEC history by promoting one of two candidates who were already employed by us, but we let them walk and go make history at Minnesota and LSU, respectively, in favor of the Caslen crapshow.
Horrible that the Mac controlled Board had no interest in Joan Gable, who was then hired by Minnesota an AAU member and Public Ivy, because of her ties to Pastides . But Bill Tate was hired by Caslen who sincerely was grooming him to be his successor before LSU came calling.

I was disgusted by the process that led to hiring Caslen (not Caslen himself) and ran for the Board because of it, but Caslen did a lot of good things as President and hiring Tate, who had been the favorite of those who opposed him, really showed a lot about the strength of his character. He appointed Tate and Dr. Pastides to direct what turned out to be a textbook response to Covid too. That also took a lot of courage. But in the end he just couldn't handle so many important aspects of the job.

And now he has decided to crap all over us on the way out. Oh well. Maybe DeVry Tech is still hiring

Last edited:
Reactions: nikolas22
Several points:

The Gov needs to be removed from ANY BOT involvement. Try to run the state first FogHorn LegHorn.

BOT needs some new blood, less lawyers and bankers imo.

Caslen got the benefit of the doubt from me, but after that commencement fiasco I was no longer giving him anything! He’s either slipping mentally, unethical, a heavy drinker, or just plain dumb! Perhaps all those and more. Whining and bitching like a high school sophomore female about poor treatment at USC ain’t getting any Brownie points from me! Want to see why you’re no longer the President at the University of California, uh, I mean South Carolina Mr Caslen? Find a mirror and take a look!!! Talk about not being accountable. Poster child for such!!

I was adamantly against his hire from the jump and it was indeed a devastating mistake for USC, but I have to say I never understood why Caslen wanted to take this job in the first place. After all the controversy and protest over his botched hiring process (feelings which were 100% justified), why would you want to work at a place where most of your constituents -- faculty, students, and alumni -- absolutely hate you? No crap it was a mistake for him, he was well behind the 8-ball even before he started plagiarizing and calling us California and whatnot. The winning move for him would have been to not play, but I guess his ego got in the way and he was out to prove something. Running a military academy has nothing to do with overseeing a public research institution, and that was abundantly clear from the word go. I don't know how you get mad at other people's valid concerns, especially when you failed catastrophically at a job you weren't qualified for in the first place. If he wants to call this a "hostile" environment, well, sure -- but only because he should have never been here to begin with. He had the chance to gracefully decline and walk away, but instead he made a mess.
Actually it was DeVry Tech but that really does say a lot doesn't it? Can't make this shit up.
Thanks for the correction....you really cant make this shit up

I do not believe Caslen pulled strings…I think our Governor and Board members who wanted him did the pulling. I was not in fair of hiring him. I watched the YouTube of some of his interviews with students, etc. He was just the total opposite of the smooth Pastides. However, once he was hired…I tried to like him. I thought he put in the effort. I was dismayed that he slighted Darla Moore. I think the disaster of the graduation ceremonies was probably what he said…he was tired, distracted, didn’t catch the speech mistake, etc. However, I never felt we needed to turn to the military for our President. I, too, wish he had never accepted the job.
Even if Caslen pulled no favors(which I just do not believe) by accepting McMaster’s multiple interferences he becomes nothing more than an unqualified toady begging patronage.

Also he had to see what upheaval his candidacy caused. ANYONE with an ounce of integrity or wisdom would have withdrawn. Not Caslen, he was not going to surrender his political plum integrity be damned.

On his Facebook page, his son Rob Caslen has a USC symbol with a slash through it.
Rob Caslen told the world everything we needed to know about their family when he threw his 13 yo drama queen tantrum. This was when the BOT decided to pass on all the candidates.
Too bad the right people didn’t listen

Last edited:
I was in favor of fairness toward him when his name was advanced. I will always be in favor of fairness. That said, his acquisition was a stupendous blunder of breathtaking proportions, and the machinations used to bring it about were as ham-handed as anything I have ever seen. It was a complete debacle. I will say no more.

I was in favor of fairness toward him when his name was advanced. I will always be in favor of fairness. That said, his acquisition was a stupendous blunder of breathtaking proportions, and the machinations used to bring it about were as ham-handed as anything I have ever seen. It was a complete debacle. I will say no more.
Being in favor of fairness is a good thing BUT there was no fairness involved in Caslen’s candidacy. He was unqualified and foisted upon the process by corrupt collusion

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT