ADVERTISEMENT

College football in general...

It may be time to step back and reflect on how much 18-22 year olds affect our emotional well-being. We chose to be a Carolina fan for whatever reason. No one can fault us for changing our perspective and focusing on other things in life.

What’s the worst thing that can happen? Somebody call us fair weather fans? Pshht. Nobody’s f*****g business than my own.

It may be time to step back and reflect on how much 18-22 year olds affect our emotional well-being. We chose to be a Carolina fan for whatever reason. No one can fault us for changing our perspective and focusing on other things in life.

What’s the worst thing that can happen? Somebody call us fair weather fans? Pshht. Nobody’s f*****g business than my own.
Stepped back about 5 yrs ago... Used to get sick to my stomach having to go to work after the Georgia games on whether we lost or not...learned to give 0 f's

I enjoy the marquee match-ups that occur yearly in the SEC. This is just a flat week with teams I care nothing about playing. Penn State v Ohio State is the only one worth watching this weekend. I have no interest in the outcome of the Georgia game today so I will likely watch a movie to pass the time of this rainy day.

I have always looked forward to the fall every year. That's a consequence of Spurrier. Next year I'll look forward to it just for the cooler weather and the leaves changing. Maybe take up hunting again.

The older I get the less I care about sports in general. Just realize life's to short ya know and there's much more important things I could be focusing on.
I'm only 41 btw!
Good for you. This will bode well for you later in life and now. Actually helps you enjoy sports more.

Reactions: Brace1
I can guarantee you those 18-22 year olds care a lot less about the outcomes than the fans do.

Maybe so. I had a roommate at MUSC that played for the Gamecocks during undergrad back in the 90s. I watched every moment of every Carolina game, lots of other games, and a bit of NFL on sundays. But he never watched - ever. One day I asked him about it and he said playing major college level for 4 years killed his love of the game. I suspect he was not unusual in his opinion. Yes, there are some ex-players who still live and breathe the game, but I think a whole lot are just all done.

He also said that winning and losing was actually not a straight forward thought because everything is so broken down into its individual parts and scrutinized on an an individual, position by position basis that some of his worst weeks were after wins and his best were after losses.

Admittedly I don’t know a ton of major college players. But this was a surprising conversation for me.

Maybe so. I had a roommate at MUSC that played for the Gamecocks during undergrad back in the 90s. .

I wonder what years he played. That may explain part of it :) But I have known numerous players from top programs. They do look at the game differently than fans, and tend not to get so worked up. The way fans see what is happening and the way players see it is completely different. To the guy above who, at 41, is diversifying his interests, I say good job. It took me longer than that to stop letting wins and losses affect my mood. I also agree with those above that when the NCAA "fixes" things and opens the floodgates for legal payments, the sleaze will overrun CFB and MBB and it will be over in terms of legitimacy. What you've seen over the years at places like Miami and So. Cal. is going to be commonplace.

I can guarantee you those 18-22 year olds care a lot less about the outcomes than the fans do.
Having employed one you're definitely right. Now and days almost all of them know each other camps and its really no big deal to them to lose unless its a high stake game. Sadly, we haven't had any of those lately.

I quit watching NASCAR when they took it out west and made all the cars look the same. And Earnhardt was gone.

I quit watching the NBA when they passed rules that didn't allow defense. And Jordan was gone.

I cut back a lot watching the NFL when games started lasting 4 hours and they quit letting you hit the QB. And Montana was gone.

I quit watching boxing decades ago when Don King appeared. And Smokin' Joe was gone.

I cut back on watching college basketball when they started copying the NBA and running the high ball screen every play. And Bobby Knight was gone.

Now I got nothing to watch but Sanford & Son reruns. And that's fun.

I quit watching NASCAR when they took it out west and made all the cars look the same. And Earnhardt was gone.

I quit watching the NBA when they passed rules that didn't allow defense. And Jordan was gone.

I cut back a lot watching the NFL when games started lasting 4 hours and they quit letting you hit the QB. And Montana was gone.

I quit watching boxing decades ago when Don King appeared. And Smokin' Joe was gone.

I cut back on watching college basketball when they started copying the NBA and running the high ball screen every play. And Bobby Knight was gone.

Now I got nothing to watch but Sanford & Son reruns. And that's fun.
I watched kojak reruns this morning. Great show

I still like pulling for the underdogs. Part of why I became a Gamecock fan I suppose. It also helps me get through games like Citadel. Good for those dudes. I almost added App State except I’m not actually sure who was favored. LOL.

Maybe so. I had a roommate at MUSC that played for the Gamecocks during undergrad back in the 90s. I watched every moment of every Carolina game, lots of other games, and a bit of NFL on sundays. But he never watched - ever. One day I asked him about it and he said playing major college level for 4 years killed his love of the game. I suspect he was not unusual in his opinion. Yes, there are some ex-players who still live and breathe the game, but I think a whole lot are just all done.

He also said that winning and losing was actually not a straight forward thought because everything is so broken down into its individual parts and scrutinized on an an individual, position by position basis that some of his worst weeks were after wins and his best were after losses.

Admittedly I don’t know a ton of major college players. But this was a surprising conversation for me.
Playing for the gamecocks in the 90s would kill anyone's love of sports.

Last edited:
If tomorrow we entered an alternate universe and South Carolina no longer had a football team, I'd still tune in and watch all the important games. I love college football. All of it.

Ya'll talking about $$$ ruining the game are wrong. Oh I have no doubt the game will be ruined eventually, but the $$$ is just BUT ONE of the "tools" that will be used to do it. Any excuse to weaken the game / sport. Currently the main tool being used is the relatively new rule where you can't touch the QB anymore without getting a flag. Before that it was helmet to helmet, before that it was "spearing" ...etc...

You see, we have a group of people in this country hell bent on destroying < yes destroying anything remotely "American." Doesn't matter if it's art, statues, etc.... college football is just one more thing on their list. True story.

Reactions: LeverettOwens
I think it should probably be attributed to Darrell Royal, coach of the Texas Longhorns:

Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad.

Can you determine who first expressed this aphorism?

Quote Investigator: Candidly, the results of this exploration are confusing. The earliest evidence located by QI appeared in a column by Bud Shrake in the Dallas Morning News in 1962, and it supported the belief that Darrell Royal created and/or popularized this adage [DRDM]:

Two plays later Wade threw another pass. The ball was batted into the air and Aggie linebacker Jerry Hopkins intercepted at the Texas 49.

You could almost hear Royal repeating his maxim: “When you throw a pass three things can happen to it, and two of them are bad.”

In 1963 the book “Darrell Royal Talks Football” by Darrell Royal with Blackie Sherrod was published, and it discussed the primary author’s philosophy of coaching. A version of the aphorism was given, and Royal did not give credit to anyone else when he used the expression [DRDR]:

I might say this: we’ve always been a running team and I’m sure we will continue to be so. (We’ve been criticized for it, I might add.) But I’ve always felt that three things can happen to you whenever you throw the football, and two of them are bad. You can catch the ball, you can throw it incomplete, or have it intercepted.

Over the years other individuals have been connected to the saying. For example, in 1966 Woody Hayes, the celebrated football coach of the Ohio State Buckeyes, was attached to the aphorism [WHPD]:

Woody also professes to the theory that when you pass, three things can happen and two of them are bad.

The early evidence points strongly to Darrell Royal as the creator of this saying. But there is a key piece of counter-evidence that appeared in an interview that Royal gave in 2005 that was published in The Columbus Dispatch. Royal himself attributed the maxim to Woody Hayes according to the reporter [DRWH]:

“Now, you can hear some stuff in a barbershop. You can pick up some wisdom there. I’m just a model of the people I’ve been around in my life, and Woody was one of those people.”

Royal credits Ohio State’s Hayes, his contemporary and friend, with being the first one to say three things can happen on a pass play and two of them are bad.

This is obviously an issue with which the people in Alabama, Louisiana, and Upstate S.C are not inclined to wrestle. I don't think many people in Ohio or Michigan deal with any cognitive dissonance on this point, either. It must be about us.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
This is obviously an issue with which the people in Alabama, Louisiana, and Upstate S.C are not inclined to wrestle. I don't think many people in Ohio or Michigan deal with any cognitive dissonance on this point, either. It must be about us.
Yep. When Spurrier was rolling, I had no problem missing out on fishing and weekends surfing. Plan on getting married during a game, I'll see you afterwards. Now, I can barely stay awake. It's not interesting, or fun or remotely compelling. For most of the season, I was bored. But the App State game woke me up. These people gotta go.

Reactions: king ward
Well, it’s been 5 full seasons of absolute garbage football. My soul hurts from watching this program crumble after tussling with the big boys of the SEC.

To assist with this man's point of view ... without looking, who is the world heavyweight boxing champion??? I do not have any idea, whatsoever. Couldn't even make a stupid guess.

Deonte “the Bronze Bomber” Wilder. Heavyweight boxing entered a new renaissance within the last couple of years, if you were a boxing fan then you would definitely know that. Wilder, Fury, Ruiz, Jr., and Joshua are all must-see when they fight.

Playoff system is slowly destroying CFB. As I correctly said it would. We have 6-8 teams, the royalty, sucking up the blue chip players just like CBB has had for years. And when they have a hole to fill, well, transfers!!!

Meanwhile, the rest of CFB is either spoiler or roadkill playing in front of half empty stadiums. It will only get worse.

Playoff system is slowly destroying CFB. As I correctly said it would. We have 6-8 teams, the royalty, sucking up the blue chip players just like CBB has had for years. And when they have a hole to fill, well, transfers!!!

Meanwhile, the rest of CFB is either spoiler or roadkill playing in front of half empty stadiums. It will only get worse.

Oh!, You must be the other guy who didn't want the playoff. I think there's one other dude over on the gulf coast, besides me but, it never made any sense, it didn't improve anything, they couldn't ever find an equitable playoff system, it's killing the Bowl games and especially New Year's Day, and expanding the playoff will only make it worse. It will reduce the regular season conference championship relevance. Soon, some will argue for two loss teams to be considered. And there will be increasing incidents where the best team in the conference is neither the regular season champ nor the Conference Championship game winner. It has become an Invitational Tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT