ADVERTISEMENT

Dawn speaks out at the protest

Correct. Notwithstanding whether not not one is a Trump supporter.
Exactly what ball did he drop? Each governor is responsible for their state and the mayor their city. Only thing he can do is bring in the military. He expedited the DOJ and the FBI to take over the case. Now let's count all the police injuries and deaths due to the street terrorists. I guess those don't count. Soros is getting what he wants racial division.

Reactions: cockofdawn
I get the sense that Coach Staley would be welcome most anywhere she wanted to go if she defied the university by publishing against admin’s wishes unless the statement had been completely radical and universally inexcusable.[/QUOTE]

I think the University would do about anything to keep Dawn satisfied. I sure support that concept. She is a shining bright light for our school.

Is someone really suggesting that we're going to fire a coach that coaches the US Olympic Team, along with all her other honors and awards? Why don't we just do something less drastic, like secede from the union again.

Coach Staley is a black woman in America. I am not black, so I cannot imagine how frustrating, disappointing and downright scary it must be that these types of societal problems still exist.

But I don't have to be black to understand the continued frustration with Fat Donny and his antagonistic attitude. From calling black NFL players "sons of bitches" for taking a knee to protest THIS EXACT BEHAVIOR to publicly encouraging police to rough-up detainees...he's a major problem, and I'm pleased that she is using her voice to remind people of that.

Rock On, Coach!

Is someone really suggesting that we're going to fire a coach that coaches the US Olympic Team, along with all her other honors and awards? Why don't we just do something less drastic, like secede from the union again.
No. She needs to keep her political statements to herself or friends. Great coaching but stay out of politics and religion.

Is this is a decision she made for the team. Did the players have the opportunity to go?

She passed on the offer, as others have already said, because the season training had already started so no to the players be able to go. This had absolutely nothing to do with her politics. The white house failed to invite them in a timely manner. Other teams that won weeks after we won, got their invitation. Dawn said repeatedly, when ask if they had been invited, no and they would not be able to go if the invitation came after a certain date. I told a friend at the time that Dawn would be blamed and she was. The myth about her turning down an invitation because of Trump is NOT TRUE.

if you’re referring to my post, it’s just the opposite. I think that Coach Staley is virtually untouchable (and should be) unless she said something so totally legally or morally reprehensible that the university was left with no choice. Being critical of a sitting president in a professional manner certainly isn’t that. My point was that I think she would’ve published that essay regardless of what the university’s wishes might’ve been, and the admin wouldn’t have made an issue of it regardless.

Reactions: USC GRAD 84
She passed on the offer, as others have already said, because the season training had already started so no to the players be able to go. This had absolutely nothing to do with her politics. The white house failed to invite them in a timely manner. Other teams that won weeks after we won, got their invitation. Dawn said repeatedly, when ask if they had been invited, no and they would not be able to go if the invitation came after a certain date. I told a friend at the time that Dawn would be blamed and she was. The myth about her turning down an invitation because of Trump is NOT TRUE.
Ok. Thank you.

Reactions: USC GRAD 84
Do you think it was a “failure” on the part of the White House, or do you think they might have also had other things going on?

Here is one of her statements.
The rioting, it’s horrible. We’re going into our own neighborhoods - there are some outside influences, but we’re going to the very places that we dine and congregate and we’re tearing our own neighborhoods up. I don’t think it’s right, but I don’t know to give them any other way to be heard. I don’t know. I don’t know any other way. I think they’re just tired.

Do you think it was a “failure” on the part of the White House, or do you think they might have also had other things going on?

I don't know. It seemed odd that they had time to invite teams that won championships after us. I hate seeing Dawn blamed when she said that she wanted to go. She said "that's what champions do". I'm sure some, if not all of our players, would have liked to go as well.

Reactions: Dizzy01
No. She needs to keep her political statements to herself or friends. Great coaching but stay out of politics and religion.
So, we should just silence our coach until she comes up with a position you agree with? Unless, you can show me a post criticizing Coach Martin, who has social viewpoints all the time, then your post lacks credibility.

I don't know. It seemed odd that they had time to invite teams that won championships after us. I hate seeing Dawn blamed when she said that she wanted to go. She said "that's what champions do". I'm sure some, if not all of our players, would have liked to go as well.
....you're right and I was downright disappointed when she said "That's what Champions do. However, I got over it to the point that I forgot she said it. Some people need to just relax.

....you're right and I was downright disappointed when she said "That's what Champions do. However, I got over it to the point that I forgot she said it. Some people need to just relax.

why on earth would that disappoint anyone? Sounds to me like she realizes it is an honor.

Reactions: Silver_Coconut
So, we should just silence our coach until she comes up with a position you agree with? Unless, you can show me a post criticizing Coach Martin, who has social viewpoints all the time, then your post lacks credibility.
He should stay out of both too. I usually don't pay attention to his because talking is what he does best.

why on earth would that disappoint anyone? Sounds to me like she realizes it is an honor.
I am not going to get into the weeds with that as this thread is already long enough. My point is that she has a right to express whatever political position she likes and that should not take away from the exemplary job she is doing as our Women's Basketball Coach.

He should stay out of both too. I usually don't pay attention to his because talking is what he does best.
Oh, I get it. You don't pay attention unless it strikes a political nerve with you. I don't see that as being the most mature way to look at things, but it is your opinion and you have the right to it.

Dawn is not a politician officially affiliated with a political party. Not even close to the same thing.

Doesn’t matter. She does Not have to be a politician to voice an opinion.

many people have their opinions promoted by other entities. A popular disclaimer is “the opinion expressed here is not necessarily the opinion of_______”

NO one using common sense thinks that an opinion expressed by a coach at USC is the official position of USC. It’s quite likely USC doesn’t even have such an opinion.

President Johnson has done more to destroy the black families than any President, as well as a great many white families, by designing in implementing the welfare state.
Nice to know people that was against Civil Rights and desegregation are still around.

President Johnson has done more to destroy the black families than any President, as well as a great many white families, by designing in implementing the welfare state.
Don't forget keeping the Vietnam war going for political purposes and lot of young guys lost their lives, of all races.

Don't forget keeping the Vietnam war going for political purposes and lot of young guys lost their lives, of all races.

Well, Nixon shares much of the blame for that.

Richard M. Nixon told an aide that they should find a way to secretly “monkey wrench” peace talks in Vietnam in the waning days of the 1968 campaign for fear that progress toward ending the war would hurt his chances for the presidency, according to newly discovered notes.

In a telephone conversation with H. R. Haldeman, who would go on to become White House chief of staff, Nixon gave instructions that a friendly intermediary should keep “working on” South Vietnamese leaders to persuade them not to agree to a deal before the election, according to the notes, taken by Mr. Haldeman.

Nice to know people that was against Civil Rights and desegregation are still around.

So you think that making people more dependent on government handouts is a good thing? Who in in his right mind would be against civil rights? Who would be against desegregation? Maybe you can find some of them to hang out with, if that is your thing.

True on both accounts. I do wonder though whether it would have made a difference if RT had said he thought the essay was ill advised or had “forbidden” her from publishing it. I get the sense that Coach Staley would be welcome most anywhere she wanted to go if she defied the university by publishing against admin’s wishes unless the statement had been completely radical and universally inexcusable.

I just can't imagine Dawn posting anything radical and universally inexcusable. That's not her. She would not be in the position she's in had she posted anything radical. She is a smart person who has found her calling and uses her clout wisely.

I am not going to get into the weeds with that as this thread is already long enough. My point is that she has a right to express whatever political position she likes and that should not take away from the exemplary job she is doing as our Women's Basketball Coach.
Of course she has a right to express whatever political position she likes. However, it is wise and prudent to express it in a manner befitting her stature and that of her employer. Yet another example of responsibly exercising one's freedom. IMO, she does an outstanding job of it.

Reactions: ansoncock
Reading some of these comments by Dawn, I just want to say that I support her, but she is way off base. Nothing to do with Trump even. She doesn't seem to get that the rioters and looters aren't the ones looking for positive change. Those people are protesting civily. The rioters and looters are people that just want to destroy the government and are looking for an excuse and people who are looking to rob because they want to get paid, an people who just think it's fun to destroy stuff when other people are doing it. None of them care about ballot boxes. They don't even care about George Floyd, many of them have never even heard of the guy.

1 - My reply was intended to refute the claim by a previous poster that Staley was not imploring people to vote out Trump. She most definitely was.

Let's face it. Coach Staley could no longer be black were she to implore anything else. Right Joe?

We want our coaches to coach, not become a politician...
Yes. How dare they be actual people with thoughts and feelings and voice their opinions about things. How many of you here have jobs? Stop talking politics and go be your job. I want mechanics who are mechanics, and HVAC techs that are just techs.

What a ridiculous statement.

It's not apples to apples. No.

The Russian stuff produced numerous charges and arrests. Trumps birther mission fell flat when he failed to produce his "findings" from Hawaii. But that didn't stop trump from claiming Obama was an illegitimate president.
I didnt see anyone arrested on that.. I saw they tricked Flynn into lying, who was arrested for Colluding with Russia?? As your boy Schiff claimed he had HARD ABSOLUTE evidence??

Yes. How dare they be actual people with thoughts and feelings and voice their opinions about things. How many of you here have jobs? Stop talking politics and go be your job. I want mechanics who are mechanics, and HVAC techs that are just techs.

The people that scream about not wanting people like dawn to talk politics are the same ones that listen to cable news and talk show hosts talk politics 18 hours a day.

What they mean is they only want to hear people they agree with talk politics.

I’m glad the world doesn’t work their way.

I don't have a problem with anybody voicing their opinion. The problem is some people get fired for it, some don't. Then you get into the position where you have political positions as terms of employment. I understand that the 2nd amendment doesn't protect you from the repercussions of that speech, but you should have to agree with your employer in order to keep your job. Slippery slope.

I don't have a problem with anybody voicing their opinion. The problem is some people get fired for it, some don't. Then you get into the position where you have political positions as terms of employment. I understand that the 2nd amendment doesn't protect you from the repercussions of that speech, but you should have to agree with your employer in order to keep your job. Slippery slope.
Most of the people being fired are not simply voicing their opinion. They are extremely derogatory and demeaning, and yes, racist in their comments. Very much the opposite of what Coach Staley, Coach Martin, and countless others have done.

Most of the people being fired are not simply voicing their opinion. They are extremely derogatory and demeaning, and yes, racist in their comments. Very much the opposite of what Coach Staley, Coach Martin, and countless others have done.
The NBA Kings announcer got fired for saying All life's matter. They said that was racist??

Here is one of her statements.
The rioting, it’s horrible. We’re going into our own neighborhoods - there are some outside influences, but we’re going to the very places that we dine and congregate and we’re tearing our own neighborhoods up. I don’t think it’s right, but I don’t know to give them any other way to be heard. I don’t know. I don’t know any other way. I think they’re just tired.

Yeah, if that's what she said, that's not a good statement. Poor leadership.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT