ADVERTISEMENT

Deshaun Watson

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdblack

Mar 29, 2002
I have been very critical of Watson on this board for the past two years, and justifiably so, because of his showboating, "look at me" individual celebrations after touchdowns and big plays. He impressed me last night in several ways, not the least by a toned-down demeanor after scoring or making big plays, which he made in abundance. I'm quite sure that Dabo, Venables, and probably D-Rad bent a few ears after the Boulware/Wilkins PR fiasco last week, but however it happened, Deschaun seemed more intent on celebrating with his teammates, which is the way it should be. Though I've never doubted his superior athleticism, mental acuity under pressure, leadership ability, or will to win, Watson also showed me a toughness that I've never seen from him before last night. I'm not saying he didn't have it ... I've just never seen it. That young man got hammered and hit last night, and like a great heavyweight rising from the canvas again and again, he continued to pummel the Bama defense, just like last year. Deshaun Watson and Clemson deserve my congratulations for winning the Natty and solidifying their place as the best football team in the nation this year!

My only thing with him is the same thing I have said all along and would say about our players who are as demonstrative as he is, and that is as much as they want to portray it that way, he is not a humble guy. With that said he has been a program changer for them.

Once in a lifetime guy.

But in the end...........screw him.

I don't know about a once in a lifetime guy or not, he is a very good qb and should have won the Heisman. But there is a but in here, Clemson scored 3 TDs on plays they should have been flagged for offensive pass interference. It was their go to play in the redzone. Officials let the game be decided by that. Bama couldn't cover number 7, he could have gone to him on legit plays and scored, but instead they took shortcuts and ran illegal pick plays. But as long as the ref doesn't call it, I guess its legal. Maybe we should all just run them every play, chance of success is through the roof, it's pitch and catch, same as warmups.

I don't know about a once in a lifetime guy or not, he is a very good qb and should have won the Heisman. But there is a but in here, Clemson scored 3 TDs on plays they should have been flagged for offensive pass interference. It was their go to play in the redzone. Officials let the game be decided by that. Bama couldn't cover number 7, he could have gone to him on legit plays and scored, but instead they took shortcuts and ran illegal pick plays. But as long as the ref doesn't call it, I guess its legal. Maybe we should all just run them every play, chance of success is through the roof, it's pitch and catch, same as warmups.

The white hat was far too worried about the gun show he was putting on.

Reactions: lostcock
The white hat was far too worried about the gun show he was putting on.
149364_s.gif

And their should have been a few PIs called against bama. And a bunch of holds.

Sound like sour grapes. Not a good look for us.

And their should have been a few PIs called against bama. And a bunch of holds.

Sound like sour grapes. Not a good look for us.

They were, more than I can remember. I don't like Bama either but they had their share of holding and PI called, not once was an illegal pick called and they were a crucial part of Clemson's offense, especially in the redzone. It was a shame officials let the game be determined by a couple of illegal plays. It's no different than the DB tackling the WR while the ball is in the air. Either call it or remove it from the books so team who choose to play by the rules can add it to their redzone offense.

Dude should have won the heisman...he is very Brady like to me. Understands the game,high football IQ, knows the playbook inside and out, makes the best decisions, and throws it on a dime

He can run better than Brady...

He will have a very successful career in the NFL
We'll see. Tajh Boyd put up some very good numbers in the Clemson system and never played a snap. Watson certainly has all of the physical tools, but he's been running a very qb friendly system. Its a great college system, but its not the same as the NFL. I don't think you can fairly judge his football iq at this point. No questions about his arm though.

Reactions: lowcountrytiger
He needs to learn how to be humble. It's what's best for him. I'm just looking out for his best interests.
why on earth should he learn to be humble? He is without much argument the best college player in the country, two years running. the guy has more talent in his field than anyone on this board or any other. this always strikes me the way it does when people are like "Oh, Hikaru Nakamura is too aloof from his fans." The man's the best freakin' chess player in the U.S. (or at least was, until Fabiano Caruana and Wesley So changed their national team card to the U.S.). Of COURSE he isn't humble. Why on Earth would he be?

He was still blowing kisses to America so I wouldn't say he's turned the corner on being humble.

You would think someone at clempson would've showed the kid how to shoot a damn bow and arrow by now.

A great team timed with a perfect storm of a season. That's clempson. How fortunate their opponent only had a playbook with 10 plays in it. And that list could go on and on. But they still did what they had to do. Beat who they had to beat.

I agree with everything the OP said but "natty". I know the term is common now, but I despise it because I believe it flippantly trivializes a tremendous achievement for any team that wins it. If South Carolina ever wins the national championship in football, and if I'm here to see it, rest assured I will be boasting about "the national championship". Of course, the same applies to any other sport.

Humility is a sign of personal strength. Watson is a heck of a player, and him drawing attention to himself is not a sign of humbleness. It is the Clemson body itself who proclaimed him humble. He certainly is not. Does that diminish his talent or what he has accomplished? No. He is still a great player. But I ask you geomancer, what is wrong with being humble and still being the best in his field? Kids today need to learn that you can do good without bringing attention to yourself. Let your character and your body of work be your witness.

why on earth should he learn to be humble? He is without much argument the best college player in the country, two years running. the guy has more talent in his field than anyone on this board or any other. this always strikes me the way it does when people are like "Oh, Hikaru Nakamura is too aloof from his fans." The man's the best freakin' chess player in the U.S. (or at least was, until Fabiano Caruana and Wesley So changed their national team card to the U.S.). Of COURSE he isn't humble. Why on Earth would he be?
Same reason Cam is learning that it may be best to be more humble. For some reason, the QB position is one that fans and even players expect to be above all the showmanship. Cam is getting hit harder than I see most QBs getting hit...even very successful QBs. People expect QBs to have more of an attitude like Brady, Rodgers, etc.. than a Newton.

Reactions: bdblack
Do you seriously believe God pulled some strings to help the taters win?
At church on Sunday, we always have a prayer list that class members request. It consist of serious needs with family members having serious health concerns like cancer or other sickness. At the very end, a Clemson fan asked the class to pray for a Clemson win because Nick Saban wasn't as good of a Christian as Dabo.

Those people are on another planet and need a brain transplant.

They were, more than I can remember. I don't like Bama either but they had their share of holding and PI called, not once was an illegal pick called and they were a crucial part of Clemson's offense, especially in the redzone. It was a shame officials let the game be determined by a couple of illegal plays. It's no different than the DB tackling the WR while the ball is in the air. Either call it or remove it from the books so team who choose to play by the rules can add it to their redzone offense.
That's because the picks weren't illegal. If executed correctly, there is literally NOTHING illegal about a "pick" play. On the game winning TD, the DB Humphrey grabs Scott and tackles him. All Scott would have had to do was run his route for it to be legal. If he's tackled by the DB, then even that minimal requirement goes out the window. Tony Brown was completely impeded from getting to Renfrow because HIS guy initiated the tackle on Scott. You should really learn the rules before calling something "illegal", because it's pretty obvious how sour your grapes are today.

That's because the picks weren't illegal. If executed correctly, there is literally NOTHING illegal about a "pick" play. On the game winning TD, the DB Humphrey grabs Scott and tackles him. All Scott would have had to do was run his route for it to be legal. If he's tackled by the DB, then even that minimal requirement goes out the window. Tony Brown was completely impeded from getting to Renfrow because HIS guy initiated the tackle on Scott. You should really learn the rules before calling something "illegal", because it's pretty obvious how sour your grapes are today.
You have an interesting definition of tackling. This shows Scott diving at the legs of the Bama DB taking him out of the play....and that is, by definition, interference.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...td-alabama-clemson-2017-national-championship

You have an interesting definition of tackling. This shows Scott diving at the legs of the Bama DB taking him out of the play....and that is, by definition, interference.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...td-alabama-clemson-2017-national-championship
You see whatever it is you want to see. I see Humphrey and Scott engage high, and Humphrey tackles and pushes Scott down. You seem to see Scott going low intentionally for Humphrey's legs. It's pretty terrible if that was what he was doing because Humphrey is the only one left standing.

I haven't heard a single analyst or expert opinion that agrees with what you think you're seeing. The refs on the field didn't see that.

You see whatever it is you want to see. I see Humphrey and Scott engage high, and Humphrey tackles and pushes Scott down. You seem to see Scott going low intentionally for Humphrey's legs. It's pretty terrible if that was what he was doing because Humphrey is the only one left standing.

I haven't heard a single analyst or expert opinion that agrees with what you think you're seeing. The refs on the field didn't see that.
The national radio hosts were talking about and they all said it was interference, including a B1G official (the head of officials, I believe)....none of the local sports shows even mentioned it. Guess it is what you choose to listen to.

And even if Scott engages Humphrey (Humphrey hadn't moved) it would still be interference. The WR can not engage the DB past the LOS while the ball is being thrown.

Either your description or mine would be pass interference.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigTomE
The national radio hosts were talking about and they all said it was interference, including a B1G official (the head of officials, I believe)....none of the local sports shows even mentioned it. Guess it is what you choose to listen to.
Ok. Clemson cheated. We should start a petition to revoke their national championship. Who's with me?

Ok. Clemson cheated. We should start a petition to revoke their national championship. Who's with me?
Didn't say they cheated. The only reason I responded is because Tiger fans like you and geomancer insisted there was no interference on the play. Clemson got by with it....it hasn't been called that often this year and Clemson has run that play quite a few times. On this play it was a no harm, no foul. If they had been called on it, kick the FG and go to OT.

I gave my credit to Dabo and what he has built in other threads...but don't try to pull the that was a "fair" play crap. It wasn't but Clemson has gotten by with it quite a few times...they'd have been stupid not to try it...and Elliot isn't stupid.

Reactions: BigTomE
I agree with everything the OP said but "natty". I know the term is common now, but I despise it because I believe it flippantly trivializes a tremendous achievement for any team that wins it. If South Carolina ever wins the national championship in football, and if I'm here to see it, rest assured I will be boasting about "the national championship". Of course, the same applies to any other sport.
King, get used to it, or over it. Mill gen and all that, small matter. It's a term, a flippant thing, like all the other bs sound bites that dominate today's over analyzed over covered crap with 200 stations fighting for a slice of the ratings pie these days. The days of Walter Cronkite are sadly gone, we get 24/7 constant competition from too many stations/websites/blogs/tweets etc these days, sound bites rule, get over it. I know, it sucks.

Didn't say they cheated. The only reason I responded is because Tiger fans like you and geomancer insisted there was no interference on the play. Clemson got by with it....it hasn't been called that often this year and Clemson has run that play quite a few times. On this play it was a no harm, no foul. If they had been called on it, kick the FG and go to OT.

I gave my credit to Dabo and what he has built in other threads...but don't try to pull the that was a "fair" play crap. It wasn't but Clemson has gotten by with it quite a few times...they'd have been stupid not to try it...and Elliot isn't stupid.
http://wpo.st/_ekQ2

You could maybe make a little more of an argument on the first one, but the game winner? I don't see it.

http://wpo.st/_ekQ2

You could maybe make a little more of an argument on the first one, but the game winner? I don't see it.
Not that it makes any difference on the outcome, but we will just have to agree to disagree. I see Scott initiating the contact with Humphrey on a pass over the LOS, you don't. Officiating isn't as easy as it looks sometimes.

We'll see. Tajh Boyd put up some very good numbers in the Clemson system and never played a snap. Watson certainly has all of the physical tools, but he's been running a very qb friendly system. Its a great college system, but its not the same as the NFL. I don't think you can fairly judge his football iq at this point. No questions about his arm though.
Boyd? Lol

Perhaps I should have said he needs to be less of an a-hole. Is that better?

If you want a true answer to your response though, ask Tiger Woods if humbleness would have served him well.

Reactions: funktavious
At the very end, a Clemson fan asked the class to pray for a Clemson win because Nick Saban wasn't as good of a Christian as Dabo.

Those people are on another planet and need a brain transplant.

Please tell me this person was given the business for saying that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT