ADVERTISEMENT

Kimrey leaving

Wrong.

Confirming would make it true. Duh.

Saying nothing leaves it open for people to make up their own mind, which allows howling monkeys to drive a false narrative, which could be damaging from a PR perspective.

Denying it makes it false, unless you are calling him a liar.

Nothing "diplomatic" in that statement. It's very clear. You and LC are just believing what you want to believe.

I'll choose to think you misunderstood on purpose to keep arguing.

As sad as that is, it's better than the alternative.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
According to today's paper he's leaving a 200K a year job ( plus 50k for the bowl win ) to coach high school and will owe 50K for breaking his contract. Do high school coaches make that kind of money?

According to today's paper he's leaving a 200K a year job ( plus 50k for the bowl win ) to coach high school and will owe 50K for breaking his contract. Do high school coaches make that kind of money?
I was wondering this too. In SC, I had heard of coaches at big schools making a little over $100k. But never anything close to $200k+.

One of my best friends as a kid ended up going to Baylor high school (his grandma funded it). The stories I used to hear from that place were insane. Children of millionaires and billionaires go there. His roommate's dad was a oil tycoon who gave his son some $100,000 limited edition vehicle for his 16th birthday. They have a helicopter pad for parents to drop off their kids. That place had more money than I knew was in existence!!! I bet they have no issue giving Kimrey a raise.

• Wow
Reactions: TAV31
One of my best friends as a kid ended up going to Baylor high school (his grandma funded it). The stories I used to hear from that place were insane. Children of millionaires and billionaires go there. His roommate's dad was a oil tycoon who gave his son some $100,000 limited edition vehicle for his 16th birthday. They have a helicopter pad for parents to drop off their kids. That place had more money than I knew was in existence!!! I bet they have no issue giving Kimrey a raise.

He left to be head coach at Baylor School of Chattanooga and if you look at the tuition rates, yes I think he got paid. He has 3 kids and would be one of the best schools for them especially if they go for FREE. Good luck Coach Kimrey.
https://www.baylorschool.org/news-d.../baylor-names-erik-kimrey-head-football-coach

Yep, I lived in Chattanooga for a time. It's not like Kimrey is leaving to coach at some piddly public school. He will make fine money for a far less demanding job. It sounds like he just enjoys coaching high school. Chattanooga has 3 snooty schools: McCallie (all boys), GPS (all girls) and Baylor (coed). Baylor has the strongest high school athletic program in the state largely due to the rich kid sports like golf and tennis. Curiously, they've never been a football or basketball power. Public and smaller private schools were better than them at those sports when I lived there.

Reactions: PC31

Yeah, looks a little pricy.

Aerial2.jpg

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque

This is just my opinion but I don't think I'd want my children going to such a place. I mean it's nice- very nice. (and my 3 children went to private school for pre-school and kindergarten).

But personally I think there is value in being surrounded by kids that aren't eating out of a silver spoon.

One of my son's best friends is a kid that he knows comes from a family that struggles mightily from a money standpoint. A few years ago the high school band went on a trip to Disney and he couldn't go because his family couldn't afford it - even after fundraising paid half the bill. (I told him that if they went back before they were out of high school, I'd "secretly" pay for his friend to go so he didn't know that someone else had paid)

It has taught my son some valuable lessons and I am proud that he and this other young man are good friends because the kid is a great kid.

I just have to wonder if you lose something when you are surrounded by that sort of wealth and advantage.

Just a personal observation.

Last edited:
This is just my opinion but I don't think I'd want my children going to such a place. I mean it's nice- very nice. (and my 3 children went to private school for pre-school and kindergarten).

But personally I think there is value in being surrounded by kids that aren't eating out of a silver spoon.

One of my son's best friends is a kid that he knows comes from a family that struggles mightily from a money standpoint. A few years ago the high school band went on a trip to Disney and he couldn't go because his family couldn't not afford it - even after fundraising paid half the bill. (I told him that if they went back this year, I'd pay for his friend to go but this go canceled because of COVID).

It has taught my son some valuable lessons and I am proud that he and this other young man are good friends because the kid is a great kid.

I just have to wonder if you lose something when you are surrounded by that sort of wealth and advantage.

Funny thing is, parents spend buckets of money for their kids to go there and i just don't really know how worth it it really is in the long run. When I lived there, I knew a number of kids who went to either Baylor or McCallie (the uber pricey all-boys school) who went on to go to college at MTSU or UT-Chattanooga. My brother was a manager at the JC Penney's there and he had a kid working in his department who was a McCallie grad. I know a high percentage of their kids go off to great schools, but I knew enough of them who just went to regular colleges and ended up with regular jobs that it made me wonder of the real value.

Funny thing is, parents spend buckets of money for their kids to go there and i just don't really know how worth it it really is in the long run. When I lived there, I knew a number of kids who went to either Baylor or McCallie (the uber pricey all-boys school) who went on to go to college at MTSU or UT-Chattanooga. My brother was a manager at the JC Penney's there and he had a kid working in his department who was a McCallie grad. I know a high percentage of their kids go off to great schools, but I knew enough of them who just went to regular colleges and ended up with regular jobs that it made me wonder of the real value.

I would not be surprised that being surrounded by that sort of money has a negative impact on some kids.
If everything seems like a competition all the time, I am sure that sours some young people.

I was middle to lower middle class growing up.

I grew up riding the school bus, sitting next to kids that you could tell were very poor and likely couldn't take a bath every day and at the time I didn't think too much about it but I know by the time I was in college, I realized a lot of those kids were dirt poor and it had an impact on me.

One of my big regrets in life is that I didn't try to make better friends with a few of those kids on the school bus. They lived pretty close to me and I remember thinking "well they smell bad" and while I still hung out with them and still talked to them in a friendly way, I didn't consider them good friends- and most every one of them were really good people.

I've tried to live my life since then in a way not to pity those folks, but to get to know people like that as people- and be friendly- and be friends in some cases. That's important to me.

I just wonder how it would have impacted me or my children if I (or they) had been surrounded by kids that have no money concerns- ever- and get whatever they want.

One of my son's best friends is a kid that he knows comes from a family that struggles mightily from a money standpoint. A few years ago the high school band went on a trip to Disney and he couldn't go because his family couldn't afford it - even after fundraising paid half the bill. (I told him that if they went back before they were out of high school, I'd "secretly" pay for his friend to go so he didn't know that someone else had paid)

I totally understand. I think it has it's ups and downs. They have smaller class sizes and more educated teachers with masters and doctorates. They also have kids from poorer backgrounds that are fully funded by scholarships or kids that get scholarships based on talents (athletes, child savants, etc.). But, it's most made up of kids of one percenters.

Usually, with schools like that, the parents want to tell the coach what to do. Lots of politics involved. Kids that have a lot of money or parents in high places sometimes have an overstated opinion of their own abilities, or their parents believe they can buy them athletic success. When poorer kids/schools/teams kick their a$$e$, which often happens in team sports, they look for a scapegoat, and many times that is the coach. I wish Kimrey success.

I was wondering this too. In SC, I had heard of coaches at big schools making a little over $100k. But never anything close to $200k+.
A lot more work as position coach in college than being a high school coach. It's basically year round with recruiting and all, not to mention the hours they put in during the week in season. Sometimes it's not all about the money when it comes to your time.

Reactions: boykinlp
No way the University asks him to pay that money back. It's a small amount. He left on good terms and for a situation that was better for him and his family.

Reactions: rogue cock
I don't know his situation but I have a feeling this had to do with long term security and stability.

College coaching is not strong on long term security. He got his taste of college coaching and college recruiting and now has that under his belt.

Reactions: Gamecock Lincoln
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT