ADVERTISEMENT

Let's Get Some Basketball In Here: Memphis Stat Crunch and Keys

4thgengamecock

Aug 6, 2013
Happy new year everyone! There's been a lot of football talk lately, so I figured we needed some basketball to change things up. First, some quick shooting statistics. Offensively, we're slightly better than Memphis, knocking down 47.6% or our two point attempts and 40.9% of our three's, compared to a two-point percentage of 46.4% and 29.0%, respectively, for Memphis (for reference, SEC teams are shooting 51.4% and 34.7%, respectively). However, Memphis makes up for it on the defensive end, limiting opponents to 39.6% and 30.2%, respectively, to Carolina's 41.3% and 34.3%, respectively (SEC average: 44.2% and 32.5%). Digging a little bit deeper, I came up with some keys to the game. If you've paid attention to Martin's press conferences, the first two should look pretty familiar...

1) Limit the turnovers. This is really starting to become a problem for us. In fact, I would say this is probably our biggest issue. Since returning from the Virgin Islands, we have been turning the ball over every 4.346 attempts (which would be 13th in the SEC), and are slightly underwater in assist to turnover ratio, at 0.958. This has to stop, period. If this game goes south, or if we struggle in conference play, or both, this will be the reason why.

2) Own the defensive glass. This one should be doable. Compared to the average SEC team, Memphis is pretty, well, average. They grab 32.8% of their possible offensive boards (SEC average: 32.9%) and 69.0% of their possible defensive boards (SEC average: 68.9%). We, on the other hand, have an offensive rebounding percentage of 36.5% (3rd in the SEC) and a defensive rebounding percentage of 72.4% (1st in the SEC). So why am I harping on this? Well, it's because I'm deathly afraid we'll fail Key #1. If that's the case, it is absolutely imperative that we limit Memphis' second chance opportunities. We're likely to give them extra scoring chances via turnovers, so we really can't afford to let them have any on offensive rebounds.

3) The crowd needs to get involved. I'm cheating a little on this one, since it's not completely in the team's control, but I really do think it's that important. This game is about as evenly matched as it gets on paper, and Memphis has yet to play a true road game. In those sort of circumstances a large, rowdy crowd can and routinely does provide a decisive advantage. If we're behind, we'll need the support to catch up. If we're ahead, we'll need the support to slam the door. We the fans must show up early, show up in force, and pile on Memphis for the full forty minutes. So consider this a call to action.

Bottom line: this one is really, really close. Last time I checked, we were -7.5 favorites, but I think that's generous. I'll take Carolina to win because of the home crowd, but I don't think we'll cover.

DISCLAIMER: I track a mixture of traditional statistics taken from official box scores and home-brew advanced stats inspired by, but not identical to, sites such as KenPom. For some of the advanced stats I'm still waffling on precisely how to calculate them. In addition, I do not count games against Division II, III, or NAIA teams (fortunately for us, considering how we played against Francis Marion). The above should not be taken as authoritative, but as some random dude's opinion. My degree is in engineering, not statistics.

Finally, a tribute to one of the most metal men in history. Rest in peace, Lemmy.

Thanks for the hard work. I've noticed that a lot of the stats don't matter if one team is playing difficult teams while the other team has good stats against bad teams (like us). I have not watched Memphis but we have been playing with confidence. If we have a so-so or good game we'll probably win (home game too). If we play poorly, we'll probably lose. What I like about our team is it looks like we have really good depth and can put subs in that can help when others are having a bad day. I hope FM makes some good decisions and we shoot free throws and have less turnovers. It should be a good game. WBB on Sunday should win.

Reactions: uscgamecock-1
I think the team will be highly motivated for this one and it should be the biggest home crowd so far this season. Carolina by 15 after a late push.

First thanks, I am always ready to discuss some USC ball. Many of our to's I believe are caused by PJ being a freshman and still learning the position. He is making some poor decisions but that should improve. We are also making some with our interior passing as well.
Something I think we need to improve is our post passing. Many times I see Chat with good position and the ball isn't passed to him, many times because there is a bad angle from the wing and others where there is just in effort to which is surprising because the emphasis Frank puts on on playing inside out. I also see poor timing, Chat is on the left post while the ball has just been rotated to the right side or vice versa.

PJ has been impressive so far this year. I'm glad we got him.

Yeah, my biggest problem with my own spreadsheet is the lack of adjustment for strength of schedule. I've made a few tentative efforts at implementing one, but nothing I was satisfied with. If it's any consolation, KenPom (who does account for schedule) has us ranked #22 and Memphis #70. ESPN's BPI also has us at #27 and Memphis at #57. Incidentally, I much prefer KenPom to BPI. I like what I read about BPI, but without the ability to get under the hood and look at their methodology I don't totally trust it.

I'll admit I was hard on PJ to start the season. He has been getting better after a very slow start, though turnovers have been an issue (as you would expect from a freshman). The guy I've really been disappointed with is Stroman. His assist to turnover ratio is 1.200 (18 assists, 15 turnovers). Last year it was 1.527 (87 assists, 57 turnovers). I think part of the problem is that the scouting report is out on him. Opponents know he's not going to shoot, so when he drives they play the pass they know is coming. We really need him to be more aggressive shooting, and for him to work on his shot so he can make them consistently. He's already a pretty good defensive player; if he improves his offensive game he could be a really good one.

Last edited:
Yeah, my biggest problem with my own spreadsheet is the lack of adjustment for strength of schedule. I've made a few tentative efforts at implementing one, but nothing I was satisfied with. If it's any consolation, KenPom (who does account for schedule) has us ranked #22 and Memphis #70. ESPN's BPI also has us at #27 and Memphis at #57. Incidentally, I much prefer KenPom to BPI. I like what I read about BPI, but without the ability to get under the hood and look at their methodology I don't totally trust it.

I'll admit I was hard on PJ to start the season. He has been getting better after a very slow start, though turnovers have been an issue (as you would expect from a freshman). The guy I've really been disappointed with is Stroman. His assist to turnover ratio is 1.200 (18 assists, 15 turnovers). Last year it was 1.527 (87 assists, 57 turnovers). I think part of the problem is that the scouting report is out on him. Opponents know he's not going to shoot, so when he drives they play the pass they know is coming. We really need him to be more aggressive shooting, and for him to work on his shot so he can make them consistently. He's already a pretty good defensive player; if he improves his offensive game he could be a really good one.

I gave PJ a pass at the beginning of the schedule because he was a freshman . Big Chat got to step it up a notch on offense . For some reason he gets out of sink during the game . 3 things in my book is 1 . free throws 2 offensive rebounds 3 switch the defense man to man and 2-3 zone defense often to confuse Memphis on every time out . I will be there yelling my butt off. GO COCKS !

Frank's players always tend to get better so I would expect the same from Stroman. PJ is simply special. He's as smooth as Alex English, IMO, though I only remember Alex from his pro career.

Love your "information" posts 4GG! Don't understand why you don't have more likes, so I gave you one. :) Thanks for all the stat's though, hope we can play well enough to beat them. The TO's have us all concerned, we need to get a handle on that, no pun intended either.
Why he's shooting over thirteen per cent in the likes department which is great! Ok, I'll give him one!

I think most likes go to posts that talk about and insult Clemson and Dabo, not that there is anything wrong with that

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT