ADVERTISEMENT

Losing Interest

Don't mean to hurt your feelings, but they are. There's a reason why college baseball offers only partial scholarships. There's a reason college baseball stadiums are small when compared to football stadiums and basketball arenas. There's a reason college baseball coaches are paid peanuts when compared to football and basketball. This board represents the most rabid of the fanbase, and even here baseball is not nearly as popular football and basketball. That's just the way it is and always will be. Generally, the best baseball players go straight to the pros. College baseball is diluted. Who hops in their car and drives to a sports bar to watch a regular season college baseball game between 2 teams not from SC? Not many, if any. Tons of people do it for football and basketball all the time.
I guess all of those thousands of people at the College World Series Championship parade were just walking around downtown with nothing to do.

Don't mean to hurt your feelings, but they are. There's a reason why college baseball offers only partial scholarships. There's a reason college baseball stadiums are small when compared to football stadiums and basketball arenas. There's a reason college baseball coaches are paid peanuts when compared to football and basketball. This board represents the most rabid of the fanbase, and even here baseball is not nearly as popular football and basketball. That's just the way it is and always will be. Generally, the best baseball players go straight to the pros. College baseball is diluted. Who hops in their car and drives to a sports bar to watch a regular season college baseball game between 2 teams not from SC? Not many, if any. Tons of people do it for football and basketball all the time.

No hurt feelings to each his/her own. Curious what one would watch between now and September............. I'm glad the Yardcocks are on TV & streaming. Your correct in that when I lived in Charlotte I drove down for more football games than baseball. SC has put a nice group of players in the Majors of late & a few more close to making it, so not too diluted from a professional productivity standpoint.

I guess all of those thousands of people at the College World Series Championship parade were just walking around downtown with nothing to do.

Admitted super fan here. Alumni, etc.... I have a framed picture of the Gamecock flag flying over the capital after the parade.

Reactions: rogue cock
No hurt feelings to each his/her own. Curious what one would watch between now and September............. I'm glad the Yardcocks are on TV & streaming. Your correct in that when I lived in Charlotte I drove down for more football games than baseball. SC has put a nice group of players in the Majors of late & a few more close to making it, so not too diluted from a professional productivity standpoint.

Spring Game, Masters honorable mention on the Spring & Summer TV front.

Don't mean to hurt your feelings, but they are.

Hmm, 7 posts, and the majority of them are to tell us that our 2 CWS trophies are glorified paper weights. Doesn't sound like a Gamecock to me!

I'll be the first to admit I'd rather have a national title in football or basketball than a CWS title, but winning the CWS back-to-back was definitely a big deal in this state and a big deal for hundreds of thousands of Gamecocks worldwide.

You fail to account for the volume of baseball games. Total attendance for Gamecock Baseball is actually higher than MBB.

Most recent completed seasons, total attendance:

Football: 550,009
Baseball: 258,407
Men’s Basketball: 242,126

Of course, if some random person is not driving to a sports bar in some random town to watch the Gamecocks play baseball, that just ruins the whole experience for me. I really need validation from people I don’t know in order for me to care.

Last year, SC baseball averaged 7,437 per game. MBB averaged 12,618 per game. WBB averaged 12,277 per game last year (can't find this year's stats). CFB averaged 78,586 per game this past season.

My point is we're number 5 in the country, averaging only 7,437 per game. College baseball is just not that popular notwithstanding your love for it. In fact, given the rise in interest in soccer in this country among the youngsters, I wouldn't be surprised to soon see soccer attendance challenge college baseball.

Hmm, 7 posts, and the majority of them are to tell us that our 2 CWS trophies are glorified paper weights. Doesn't sound like a Gamecock to me!

I'll be the first to admit I'd rather have a national title in football or basketball than a CWS title, but winning the CWS back-to-back was definitely a big deal in this state and a big deal for hundreds of thousands of Gamecocks worldwide.
I'm not knocking SC or its baseball program. I'm merely stating it's not that popular of a sport when compared to others.

Popularity, relevancy, and importance are three different animals.

& normally adjectives in their base form (Popular, relevant, important) but in this singular sense they become nouns as they are their own unique property in the context of this description and since animals are nouns this works.

Reactions: atl-cock
So right! Every football game, every basketball game, and nearly every baseball game is televised either free or through regular cable/internet access.
I cut the cord 2 years ago. Now I just pay for internet/WiFi access and $27 for slingtv. Bought a hi-def antennae for $35 and am amazed at the picture it provides.
Seriously, it sounds like the OP is just looking for something to complain about. We can watch almost everything imaginable for next to nothing.
Would that include HBO originals like Game of Thrones? :)

If you have a smart TV download the ESPN appp to TV and VA-LA. Instant TV.
"VA-LA"? French isn't your first language, I take it. :) Just messing with you.

I haven't been able to download ESPN to either of our smart TVs, but I have a Chromecast on one of them and I can "cast" the games from my phone, my tablet, or my notebook computer. It's not hard.

I really don't understand the complaint. The SEC+ coverage of baseball gives me so much entertainment during a time of year that I might be relegated to the NBA and early season MLB.

I really don't understand the complaint. The SEC+ coverage of baseball gives me so much entertainment during a time of year that I might be relegated to the NBA and early season MLB.
This. I'll sometimes catch other games on the network when we aren't playing. It's pretty darn good baseball.
As for early season MLB, if the Dodgers are on, I'm watching. :D

My point is we're number 5 in the country, averaging only 7,437 per game. College baseball is just not that popular notwithstanding your love for it. In fact, given the rise in interest in soccer in this country among the youngsters, I wouldn't be surprised to soon see soccer attendance challenge college baseball.

It's popular here, though. You're talking like the hundreds of thousands of people a year who watch USC baseball (and the hundreds of thousands who follow it on TV, radio, the tens of thousands who went to the victory parades, etc.) is peanuts. It's a big deal to a whole lot of people, so there's no use in trying to convince one of the most dedicated fanbases in the country that it isn't.

Soccer is growing, no doubt. Not sure what your point is there, but yeah, I see college soccer becoming a bigger deal. I'm not a soccer fan and don't plan on following it too closely, but I can admit that sports I don't personally watch are a big deal to some.

Last year, SC baseball averaged 7,437 per game. MBB averaged 12,618 per game. WBB averaged 12,277 per game last year (can't find this year's stats). CFB averaged 78,586 per game this past season.

So we are as popular as the top minor league ball clubs. That attendance would put us around 15th in attendance in all of the minor leagues. Considering how much those clubs are worth, that is pretty damned impressive....and a lot more popular and relevant than you are trying to argue.

Reactions: bucketdad
You better use something other than attendance numbers to prove your point. Using your numbers, our baseball team averaged 22,311 per weekend stand which put us 5th in the country. In 2017, only one NCAA basketball team (Kentucky) averaged more fans per weekend home stand than our baseball team.

You better use something other than attendance numbers to prove your point. Using your numbers, our baseball team averaged 22,311 per weekend stand which put us 5th in the country. In 2017, only one NCAA basketball team (Kentucky) averaged more fans per weekend home stand than our baseball team.
This isn't this even debatable. It's a per game average. Only 7,400 people attend our baseball games on average. I'm not sure I follow the difficulty in comprehending the fact that college baseball is less popular and generates less money than football and basketball. Even our WBB draws more. You may love baseball, and of course that's fine. But, by overwhelming numbers the rest of the country prefers football and basketball.

I'm beginning to think soccer will never catch baseball fanwise. I've been hearing it will for a very long time... and I'm from a town who has been heavy into it for a very long time. But it doesn't seem baseball is hurting one bit due to these other sports... at least not that I see. If anything, soccer ought to be watching it's back... lacrosse is approaching.
My kids are all grown up, but if I had a young one now, I probably wouldn't be as encouraging when it came to playing football as I may have been in the past. I would imagine a lot of parents feel the same way. Football will always be king. But it is not invincible. As for all the other sports... who's numbers will go up? I don't know but it's probably not football's.

It's a bit of flawed logic to compare per game attendance in venues that seat 8,242, 18,000, and 80,250, and use that basis for popularity and importance to a fan base.
There’s a reason why college baseball stadiums are so much smaller. I think some of you guys just like to argue.

Reactions: Heyward1
And college football has become way less relevant judging by national attendance numbers.
I wouldn’t say way less, but definitely declining. In part, it’s due to HDTV and the fact that every game is broadcast. But let me put it this way. College baseball is probably more popular now than ever. Yet, on average a typical game draws a few thousand or less across the country.

in the baseball season because I can't watch them on TV. Yeah, I know, I could just add SEC+ to my package and see more games but it comes to the place where you just get fed up with having to keep spending more and more money for somethings you simply can live without. Been a Gamecock Scholarship donor since the 60's and a loyal Gamecock all my life. Seems us fans deserve better than we are getting. Best baseball rivalry in the country wasn't ever televised. If all I have is seeing one minute highlites on local sports shows, it tends to cause me to lose interest. Anyone else feel the same way?

Boy, you have donated some serious money in that lenght of time. The Gamecock Club should pick you up and carry you to the games for your contributions.

Last edited:
b
I'm the same way Roller. I watched Marcus Lattimore blow his knee out against Tennessee and then an hour later at my tailgate I found out my Mom had terminal cancer. We all need a little perspective.

I was at that UT game and it was just down right heartbreaking to watch Marcus' career come to an end (we all knew it even though it wasn't official). Man, I was physically ill walking back to the car after that game. And for you to learn about your mom had to be almost unbearable. My deepest sympathy to you and your family.

I'll probably start looking for some baseball games once SEC play starts, but, dang, a man's gotta have a break from watching sports on TV sometimes. I've got some projects to finish around the house and a season ski pass that needs to pay for itself before I jump full-bore into baseball.

Partner where are you skiing in Montana? Got to be loads of fun.

There’s a reason why college baseball stadiums are so much smaller. I think some of you guys just like to argue.
There are actually multiple reasons why college baseball stadiums are smaller than college football stadiums and basketball arenas. But you'd have to be dense not to acknowledge one of those reasons is that college baseball teams play 30 - 40 home games per season.

As for whether we enjoy arguing, that's what you're going to find when you start your youthful posting career on this forum by posting inaccuracies - in your case, that our womens basketball team outdraws our baseball team, relying solely on per-game averages to make your point.

Reactions: ExpatCarolinian
There are actually multiple reasons why college baseball stadiums are smaller than college football stadiums and basketball arenas. But you'd have to be dense not to acknowledge one of those reasons is that college baseball teams play 30 - 40 home games per season.

As for whether we enjoy arguing, that's what you're going to find when you start your youthful posting career on this forum by posting inaccuracies - in your case, that our womens basketball team outdraws our baseball team, relying solely on per-game averages to make your point.
Of the 1,000 - 8,000 per game across the country, some 60% - 70% are the same people. But keep believing college baseball is immensely popular. When average baseball coaches are paid millions per year, and millions across the country tune in to watch Thursday night college baseball, I’ll pay attention to you. I’m not the dense one.

Of the 1,000 - 8,000 per game across the country, some 60% - 70% are the same people. But keep believing college baseball is immensely popular. When average baseball coaches are paid millions per year, and millions across the country tune in to watch Thursday night college baseball, I’ll pay attention to you. I’m not the dense one.

So I assume the 80,000 who gather at Williams-Brice seven Saturdays each year are a completely different group of people each Saturday. If they are the “same people” that would indicate college football is only liked by 80,000 Gamecock fans.

Partner where are you skiing in Montana? Got to be loads of fun.
Well, I can easily drive to Big Sky, fight for parking, and pay $130 for a full-day lift ticket, but I generally opt for the less well-known places where the tickets cost less than half of that and I can often park about 100' from the lift. lol. The lift to the top might be slower and the seat won't be heated, but I never have to wait in a lift line and have a lot more money in my pocket at the end of the day. The snow and views are just as good and sometimes better. Three of my favorites in this part of the world are Discovery, Grand Targhee, and Red Lodge Mountain. Please don't tell anyone!

Well, I can easily drive to Big Sky, fight for parking, and pay $130 for a full-day lift ticket, but I generally opt for the less well-known places where the tickets cost less than half of that and I can often park about 100' from the lift. lol. The lift to the top might be slower and the seat won't be heated, but I never have to wait in a lift line and have a lot more money in my pocket at the end of the day. The snow and views are just as good and sometimes better. Three of my favorites in this part of the world are Discovery, Grand Targhee, and Red Lodge Mountain. Please don't tell anyone!

WOW! Sounds great. One year a friend and I took a day of vacation and skied Sugar Mountain in WNC. It had snowed the day before and the slopes were in pristine condition. The sky that day was a cobolt blue and everything was covered with snow and it looked like a picture out of a story book. However, the bad part was we waited in the lift line probably close to 90% of the time. So if you have places you don't have to wait in lift lines you are away ahead of the game. I am very envious of you living in a place like Montana. I would give almost anything to live there or Wyoming, I love that part of the country.

BTW, I assume Red Lodge Mountain is near the town of Red Lodge. Man, that is a beautiful little town. If that is where you live I'm going to have to pay you a visit, maybe this summer. LOL!

It's a bit of flawed logic to compare per game attendance in venues that seat 8,242, 18,000, and 80,250, and use that basis for popularity and importance to a fan base.

We could put in some roof top seating on those buildings across the street in Right field. Probably room for a couple hundred or so, we may have to pay a royalty to the Cubs to do it, but it should be considered so we can break that magical capacity of 8500 & increase our relevance accordingly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT