ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Mcgee vs Tanner

bushmastercock

Nov 30, 2015
Looking back on some of Mcgee's most notable hires gives the impression that either the school had a great image and appeal, or he was just a great salesman. Mcgee managed to pull Tanner away from his alma mater, Holtz out of retirement when it's my understanding that he turned him down initially, and Spurrier out of retirement. I believe all 3 were his first choices. He seemed to be able to coax his top targets into seeing things his way.
While Hyman did hire Dawn, I can't think of any other big name he lured.
Now Ray. He has had two signature hires so far and neither are thought to be his top targets. It makes you wonder, is he not a great salesman? There's alot more to being a good AD than coaching hires and I believe Ray is doing a good job, but giving a sales pitch may not be his strong suit.
I remember Ray saying while he was still the baseball coach that he liked kids that also played football because they had a mental toughness about them. A rugged ready to battle attitude and confidence . Although he may not be a great salesman, I think with the hiring of Muschamp and Kingston, it's easy to see those attitudes and traits in both of them and regardless of whether they were his first choices, they may both be exactly what we need. Time will tell but so far I like both hires.

If Sully was really coming, UF winning it all didnt help matters. Ray had no control over that. Just like with the football team losing to the Citadel when he supposedly was courting Herman.

McGee wasnt a bad AD but facilities were so far behind on his waych it was pathetic. He wasnt a very good fund raiser and wasnt approachable by joe blow fans going to the games. The big fish alumni didnt care much for him or him for them.

It really took Spurrier to get things rolling on facilities. He had the AD get the list to call and raise money from the big fish. It was Spurrier who taught us other SEC schools tricks of the trade from upgrades to drug policies on suspensions.

Did Hyman bring in Frank Martin? I'm not sure if we "stole" him away from K State as I heard there was a rift between him and the ad there. But given the final four run, I'd say that's a great hire.

Continuity is a must for our programs once they reach a high level because it takes us too long to rebuild.

McGee wasnt a bad AD but facilities were so far behind on his waych it was pathetic. He wasnt a very good fund raiser and wasnt approachable by joe blow fans going to the games. The big fish alumni didnt care much for him or him for them.

It really took Spurrier to get things rolling on facilities. He had the AD get the list to call and raise money from the big fish. It was Spurrier who taught us other SEC schools tricks of the trade from upgrades to drug policies on suspensions.

I have to ask you E-2 ..... what year did you graduate from USC and what was your Major???

E-Cut-22: You are right on in your mail about Mike and Spurrier. Mike was a poor manager of money/facilities and looking ahead. His worst mistake, IMO, was his desire to build a new basketball facility when he already had perhaps one of the best in america in McGuire arena. All it needed was 10-20 mil for first class upgrades. But Mike had the personality to attract coaches like Spurrier, Holtz, Tanner and the track coach, Fry.
Spurrier was the impetus for new facilities but Hyman was the man behind getting them done. He also brought us Martin and Staley. Hyman had his faults, bombed on Horne, but was overall perhaps the best AD we have ever had.
As for Tanner, took him a while but he became an outstanding, nationally recognized coach. Pastides fell in love with him and assured he would be AD in spite of the credentials to merit such. Right now, his batting average is well blow his weight but from just seeing him on tv that might be too generous

Reactions: king ward
E-Cut-22: You are right on in your mail about Mike and Spurrier. Mike was a poor manager of money/facilities and looking ahead. His worst mistake, IMO, was his desire to build a new basketball facility when he already had perhaps one of the best in america in McGuire arena. All it needed was 10-20 mil for first class upgrades. But Mike had the personality to attract coaches like Spurrier, Holtz, Tanner and the track coach, Fry.
Spurrier was the impetus for new facilities but Hyman was the man behind getting them done. He also brought us Martin and Staley. Hyman had his faults, bombed on Horne, but was overall perhaps the best AD we have ever had.
As for Tanner, took him a while but he became an outstanding, nationally recognized coach. Pastides fell in love with him and assured he would be AD in spite of the credentials to merit such. Right now, his batting average is well blow his weight but from just seeing him on tv that might be too generous

Pastides is perhaps our biggest fan of the Gamecocks. Its so refreshing to have a president who loves sports. I cant remember another one like him at USC

Reactions: okccock

You are wrong on a couple of things.
1) McGee completed more facility improvements and completed more projects than Hyman.
2) there was actually a university policy in place that prevented McGee from contacting donors for gifts. Hyman got the policy lifted.
3) Hymans policies were actually revenue neutral as 20,00o season ticket holders and 5,000 Gamecock club members quit under his watch. His mistakes were covered up by SEC and UA money.
4) Under Tanner, season ticket sales are up 10,000 (with bad football) and Gamecock club membership is up 7,000.

McGee was a professional. Hyman was a snake oil salesman. Tanner is a great guy but it is too soon to tell about him being an AD.

Reactions: okccock
Spurrier was behind it all brother. Our ticket prices were the lowest in the SEC and the facilities showed it.

When Spurrier became coach even he commented about the stadium. Said it was generic, if you didnt know the Gamecocks played there you sure couldnt tell by looking at concrete. No banners, no school colors, nothing to show school pride.

I hate when people dont k ow what the hell theyre talking about but state what they say as fact.

Yep that's why u pay to get a proven winner to be your coach

Looking back on some of Mcgee's most notable hires gives the impression that either the school had a great image and appeal, or he was just a great salesman. Mcgee managed to pull Tanner away from his alma mater, Holtz out of retirement when it's my understanding that he turned him down initially, and Spurrier out of retirement. I believe all 3 were his first choices. He seemed to be able to coax his top targets into seeing things his way.
Now Ray. He has had two signature hires so far and neither are thought to be his top targets. It makes you wonder, is he not a great salesman? There's alot more to being a good AD than coaching hires and I believe Ray is doing a good job, but giving a sales pitch may not be his strong suit.
I remember Ray saying while he was still the baseball coach that he liked kids that also played football because they had a mental toughness about them. A rugged ready to battle attitude and confidence . Although he may not be a great salesman, I think with the hiring of Muschamp and Kingston, it's easy to see those attitudes and traits in both of them and regardless of whether they were his first choices, they may both be exactly what we need. Time will tell but so far I like both hires.
McGee vs Tanner? Maybe we needed a combination of both. Oh wait! Didn't we have that with Hyman??? Probably was, our ignorant fan base didn't get it. Oh well.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but one of the Biggest reasons for building the new arena was to lure Top flight entertainment acts who wouldn't perform in the coliseum because it was too small. seems that there was a ton of talk about losing concerts to Charlotte and other cities because the venue was too small.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but one of the Biggest reasons for building the new arena was to lure Top flight entertainment acts who wouldn't perform in the coliseum because it was too small. seems that there was a ton of talk about losing concerts to Charlotte and other cities because the venue was too small.
With the Confederate Battle Flag now removed, we can now host NCAA basketball regional play. Doubt that Carolina Coliseum has the capacity these days to host. And I liked going to the Coliseum.

Actually, Spurrier was not real interested in football facilities. Athletic Department made the initiative for facilities because they knew what other schools had. Spurrier believed in offensive schemes and creative, sound play calling. This was told to me by an upper ranking AD official during the era of double digit winning seasons and five in a row against Clemson.

Could it also have just been coincidence/timing? Some people don't like to believe this but you can't trace everything back to one person's individual brilliance or ineptitude. The list of names hired by McGee compared to Tanner's is impressive no doubt but I'm not sure how much was his own personal merit and how much was just right place/right time for USC.

A big black eye for McGee is how combative he was with pro sports. The Panthers should have played here their first year, and minor league baseball should not have been run out of town. Thankfully we fixed the latter but still sucks we let an NFL team play at Clemson instead of here because of some weird hardheaded/paranoid attitude.

Reactions: rogue cock
Actually, Spurrier was not real interested in football facilities. Athletic Department made the initiative for facilities because they knew what other schools had. Spurrier believed in offensive schemes and creative, sound play calling. This was told to me by an upper ranking AD official during the era of double digit winning seasons and five in a row against Clemson.

It was Spurriers idea to paint the concourses bro, dont make shit up

If Sully was really coming, UF winning it all didnt help matters. Ray had no control over that. Just like with the football team losing to the Citadel when he supposedly was courting Herman.
He let the players pick the coach. Tanner had everything to do with losing to the Cid.

You are wrong on a couple of things.
1) McGee completed more facility improvements and completed more projects than Hyman.
2) there was actually a university policy in place that prevented McGee from contacting donors for gifts. Hyman got the policy lifted.
3) Hymans policies were actually revenue neutral as 20,00o season ticket holders and 5,000 Gamecock club members quit under his watch. His mistakes were covered up by SEC and UA money.
4) Under Tanner, season ticket sales are up 10,000 (with bad football) and Gamecock club membership is up 7,000.

McGee was a professional. Hyman was a snake oil salesman. Tanner is a great guy but it is too soon to tell about him being an AD.
Disagree pretty much across the board.

Reactions: thisisnextyr
Magee-Brains, salesman, and businessman
Tanner-Great coach, no salesmanship, can't spell business

Mike McGee had to hire 2 hall of fame Coaches to repair damages after the Brad Scott fiasco. Wish he could have run that guy out of the state. We've had to deal with 2 generations of the Scott family tree trashing us in football recruiting. 2 little gnats brainwashed into the Clemson culture that won't leave if their life depended on it.

Overall, I think we have been fortunate to have McGee, Hyman, and Tanner working for

Do you want shrewd or honest? That's really the question.

Better if you can have both.

Hyman was the driving force behind the entire facilities expansion. He had a vision and understood fund raising better than any athletics director I worked for, and I worked for 4 in the time I worked in college athletics (including McGee and Hyman). He put together a long range facilities plan for a 20 year period that included upgrades to the McGuire Arena, the Dodie Academic center, the athletic administration building, updates to the soccer facility,update indoor football facilities, adding a new sport and the preliminary plans for a football facility in the farmers market area. He had a vision which is being fully realized in facilities. Having Spurrier allowed him to execute that plan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT