ADVERTISEMENT

NFL ratings way down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wrong. You can't make people stand for the National Anthem. Period. That's a free speech issue.
They shouldn't have to be made to stand. They should want to stand and show respect for all the young men and women who are fighting and giving their lives to defend them so they can play sports in a free country. Freedom comes at a huge price and they are not even willing to stand and show their appreciation. Excuse me while I say (screw their right to free speech).

This issue of kneeling during the anthem has been around for a little over a year, and there were strong views from both sides expressed, but it was not dominating news cycles, or discussions among the everyday people. There were exchanges but not dominating.
Now a politician comes out and makes comments at one of his rallies to get a reaction. Now it's all over the news, sport channels and message boards.
I can't help but feel those now taking a such a hard stance on this subject when they didn't before this weekend and burning the sports apparel, just got played

Let the backlash begin in 3, 2, 1

This issue of kneeling during the anthem has been around for a little over a year, and there were strong views from both sides expressed, but it was not dominating news cycles, or discussions among the everyday people. There were exchanges but not dominating.
Now a politician comes out and makes comments at one of his rallies to get a reaction. Now it's all over the news, sport channels and message boards.
I can't help but feel those now taking a such a hard stance on this subject when they didn't before this weekend and burning the sports apparel, just got played

Let the backlash begin in 3, 2, 1
It should never have happened. It has, the NFL, its sponsors, and the fans will suffer over this. The Millionaire Athletes will feel no pain.. That is the Irony..

Reactions: Jpcooper
https://www.city-journal.org/html/hard-data-hollow-protests-15458.html

In 2015, a police officer was 18.5 times more likely to be killed by a black male than an unarmed black male was to be killed by a police officer. Black males have made up 42 percent of all cop-killers over the last decade, though they are only 6 percent of the population. That 18.5 ratio undoubtedly worsened in 2016, in light of the 53 percent increase in gun murders of officers—committed vastly and disproportionately by black males. Among all homicide suspects whose race was known, white killers of blacks numbered only 243.

About 75 to 80% of these NFL punks will be bankrupt 5 years after retirement. They'll then be asking Uncle Sam for a handout. You and I will be footing the bill. Screw their sorry asses.

So much for civil discourse. The one thing this thread shows is that both sides have staked out their positions, and neither side is willing to acknowledge that the other side may have a point, much less listen to the issues the other side is advocating. Sad times....especially sadder when the politicians get involved with the disparaging remarks.

So much for civil discourse. The one thing this thread shows is that both sides have staked out their positions, and neither side is willing to acknowledge that the other side may have a point, much less listen to the issues the other side is advocating. Sad times....especially sadder when the politicians get involved with the disparaging remarks.
I agree Lock this thread..

I blame Roger by not nipping it the bud...

Should have left this crap out of sports and football and do what they do best..

Entertain us...

Moynihan was a neocon. Obama is making millions of dollars giving speeches to Wall Street as we speak. The scary black guy with the funny name is gone though some say he still secretly controls America...Muahahahahahahahah!!!!!1

What were you 2 when Moynihan was in office. You don't know your ass from second base.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Actually CBS ratings were way up while NBC and Fox ratings were down but don't let facts get in the way

No..I do not think so. I see this more as an opportunity to actually address the core issues. It will be painful and a lot of people will get angry and probably even some violence but as things seem to be devolving...it is actually getting closer to finding real common ground.

Pretty words and trying to skirt issues has not gotten us any significant progress in 50 years. Maybe it is time to stop just trying to get along and actually talk real talk.

No..I do not think so. I see this more as an opportunity to actually address the core issues. It will be painful and a lot of people will get angry and probably even some violence but as things seem to be devolving...it is actually getting closer to finding real common ground.

Pretty words and trying to skirt issues has not gotten us any significant progress in 50 years. Maybe it is time to stop just trying to get along and actually talk real talk.
I hope you are right....I'm just not seeing it, not right now anyway.

Too many people simply concerned about being "right."

I still don't understand how taking a knee during the anthem will solve any problems. It seem to divide the country more.
It's one of the most divisive things i have ever seen...Kaepernick an ignorant loon who got brainwashed by his Anti American Muslim girlfriend began this as an anti oppression protest...A month later he was seen in public wearing a Fidel Castro TShirt...Now fans like me can't enjoy football on Sundays without political bs being shoved in our faces...I am still waiting on anyone that supports this disgraceful garbage to show me all the oppressed Americans fleeing United States for asylum in other nations

Tell all the blacks to quit playing in the NFL and the NBA and quit drawing their million dollar checks that will be a real eye opener for all of us for the harsh treatment they are getting

why should they be grateful or show any respect for a nation that afforded them such a wonderful opportunity...They obviously have the wisdom to piss on their fans, advertisers, police officers and military members while expecting us to believe it's just a little rain

It's one of the most divisive things i have ever seen...Kaepernick an ignorant loon who got brainwashed by his Anti American Muslim girlfriend began this as an anti oppression protest...A month later he was seen in public wearing a Fidel Castro TShirt...Now fans like me can't enjoy football on Sundays without political bs being shoved in our faces...I am still waiting on anyone that supports this disgraceful garbage to show me all the oppressed Americans fleeing United States for asylum in other nations
How do you know his girlfriend was anti-American? Was this reported somewhere (If so, I missed it) or are you simply assuming that because she is Muslim, she must be anti-American?

The reason I ask is that I have had several Muslim business clients who absolutely love this country. They are successful (many own their own small to medium sized business) and reap the benefits of living here...and are thankful for the freedom of religion this country allows them. If she is anti-American, she would unlike any Muslim that I have had the pleasure of meeting.

I hope you are right....I'm just not seeing it, not right now anyway.

Too many people simply concerned about being "right."

Well I think that it is not just one side that has a voice now. So a lot of the things will be discussed. There is a solution but it is not easy and it is not about the government making changes to get a different outcome.

+ a lot.

One thing I read somewhere kinda struck a chord with me ... guy asked how many people watching an NFL game at home and ripping players actually stand during the anthem? Seems a fair question.

I don't have a problem with peaceful protest. I'm glad we live in a country where they can do so, and grateful those who think it's inappropriate can express their opinion as well. But what gets me is the name calling, wherever it originates from.

How do you know his girlfriend was anti-American? Was this reported somewhere (If so, I missed it) or are you simply assuming that because she is Muslim, she must be anti-American?

The reason I ask is that I have had several Muslim business clients who absolutely love this country. They are successful (many own their own small to medium sized business) and reap the benefits of living here...and are thankful for the freedom of religion this country allows them. If she is anti-American, she would unlike any Muslim that I have had the pleasure of meeting.
Her footprint is all over social media...Plus she and Kaepernick have formed a strong bond with anti American Islamist activist Linda Sarsour...For the record just because you don't know something doesn't mean it's not true...Your inference that i ascribed sinister motives to her due her religion is ridiculous...She pulls no punches about her criticism of this nation...

For the record there are many KKK and Nazi's that love this nation...That doesn't make them good people that love Americans...But if your point is there are many Muslims in this nation that are wonderful peace loving citizens, i agree with you

Her footprint is all over social media...Plus she and Kaepernick have formed a strong bond with anti American Islamist activist Linda Sarsour...For the record just because you don't know something doesn't mean it's not true...Your inference that i ascribed sinister motives to her due her religion is ridiculous...She pulls no punches about her criticism of this nation...

For the record there are many KKK and Nazi's that love this nation...That doesn't make them good people that love Americans...But if your point is there are many Muslims in this nation that are wonderful peace loving citizens, i agree with you
Okay. Not that I've looked into her background (obviously). With all the hate out there, it was a serious question. Didn't mean to necessarily ascribe sinister motives and any inference of such I truly apologize for, but I do know they exist....including some who I consider friends.

I agree completely with your second paragraph.

Last edited:
Some interesting discussion here about the legality of forcing an employee to stand for the national anthem; however, ultimately I don't believe that's the main issue. Adam Silver issued a life time ban to Donald Sterling because of his words he said in private. Sterling sued, and from what I read he had a very good case. Ultimately he decided it wasn't worth and sold the team for 2 billion. Silver made the decision that, regardless of the legality, he had to make a strong statement against racism for the overall health of the league.

So an the NFL owners could "fire" players for not standing for the anthem and force the players' union and the courts to be the bad guys. And if they lose the court case, then make the decision to keep the players in the locker room during the anthem, like it is done in college, and avoid the issue altogether. So the NFL can say "we're not going allow our employees to disrespect America while on the job. Period."

What are the players going to do? Could you imagine another football league forming on the basis of not standing for the national anthem? No, neither can I.

Reactions: rogue cock
How About that Justin Thomas?? I met him and he was a little brat at the time, but Congrats to him winning the Fed EX cup!!
jt-wins-fedex-cup-2017.jpg

Did you type this with a straight face? Were you asleep during the presidential campaign?

Trump, on Fox News of all places, replies to Megan Kelly with this comment: "This country is a hellhole".

But now, you are pissed about a small group of black players exercising their rights? Odd... anywho, you can continue on as Trumps puppet or you can open your eyes. Good luck, either way.
The difference is; Trump is trying to make it better in regards to the things he believe made it a "hellhole". The players kneeling in protest are doing so with no idea what the root of the problem is or how the problem can be fixed. It has just become stylish to "resist" something. If blacks are upset about a perceived "social injustice", they should become a part of the solution. Give up their multi-million dollar job and go join up on the nearest police department. But really, there's no winning in being a cop. It doesn't pay millions and many to most cops have second jobs to make ends meet. They also have people executing them as they sit innocently in their cars or restaurants. People call them when they have been beaten or robbed, but when they don't need them, they talk crap about them. And just to qualify this post, YES, there are some bad cops in the US, just as there are bad civilians.

Have you not been paying attention? The argument is the treatment of black people by police - recently, not 100 years ago or even 10 years ago.
This year alone, police have killed over 120 black men - more than 25% of fatal police shootings, yet black men make up only about 6% of the population. Almost 40% of the prison population is black, but only 13% of the population. That's a stacked deck.

It started out as a black man's simple protest against a system that is racially biased. The media made way more out of it than it was - and others had done the same thing before. But now we have a POTUS who continues to make racially inflammatory statements that divide the country further as well as hiring white nationalists to high-level positions in the government.

Jeepers. Where have you been for the last several years?

Hopefully you saw the white guys who didn't want to kneel during the anthem, but still supported their black and hispanic friends who did want to kneel. That's where POTUS should spend his energy - on the unity and the idea that you can both support the flag and the people who are peacefully protesting. Instead we get fed the idea that it has to be one or the other. What makes America great is the ability to hold both ideas - not the divisive garbage that POTUS is spewing.
And how many black men have been killed by other black men? Oh, I won't go there because it has been brought out and no one wants to accept it as reality. And for those who do the killing, are they criminals who deserve to be placed behind bars?

Some interesting discussion here about the legality of forcing an employee to stand for the national anthem; however, ultimately I don't believe that's the main issue. Adam Silver issued a life time ban to Donald Sterling because of his words he said in private. Sterling sued, and from what I read he had a very good case. Ultimately he decided it wasn't worth and sold the team for 2 billion. Silver made the decision that, regardless of the legality, he had to make a strong statement against racism for the overall health of the league.
The NBA is not the NFL.

So an the NFL owners could "fire" players for not standing for the anthem and force the players' union and the courts to be the bad guys. And if they lose the court case, then make the decision to keep the players in the locker room during the anthem, like it is done in college, and avoid the issue altogether. So the NFL can say "we're not going allow our employees to disrespect America while on the job. Period."
The main issue I see, one side believes this is being done to disrespect the flag, the people doing it, are using the anthem because they know it will rile people up, thus drawing attention to their cause. Typically referred to as, "peaceful protest".

2 groups talking past each other.

The only vitriol I have seen is from the "patriots" involved in the patriotic dick measuring contest. From "firing the sons of bitches" to calling for the protesters to be deported.
What are the players going to do?
Do something during the new "legal" TD celebrations.

Okay. Not that I've looked into her background (obviously). With all the hate out there, it was a serious question. Didn't mean to necessarily ascribe sinister motives and any inference of such I truly apologize for, but I do know they exist....including some who I consider friends.

I agree completely with your second paragraph.

No biggie...Nuttin but luv fer ya brutha:)

Reactions: rogue cock
This year alone, police have killed over 120 black men - more than 25% of fatal police shootings, yet black men make up only about 6% of the population. Almost 40% of the prison population is black, but only 13% of the population. That's a stacked deck.

There is one huge problem with your analysis. You are overlooking the possibility that the reason blacks are over-represented in these statistics is that they are actually committing more crimes. That possibility has to be considered.

I still don't understand how taking a knee during the anthem will solve any problems. It seem to divide the country more.
NO you're wrong. Liberals blame the "divisive" act on Trump because of his speech, while Kapernick gets a free ride for being the one who takes the initial knee during the National Anthem. He did this on my dime and that's what pisses me off. Do it on a street corner when you're not getting paid by consumers such as myself.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but we've been having racial tension for the past 8 years. This isn't some new thing. It's mostly manufactured and stoked by the media. The same media telling you his approval rating, even though they were wrong about the poll numbers so I wouldn't put much stock into their polls. The media doesn't want race tensions to be normal, they want to ignite the fire because it helps them get ratings.
How old are you? 9?

The NBA is not the NFL.

The main issue I see, one side believes this is being done to disrespect the flag, the people doing it, are using the anthem because they know it will rile people up, thus drawing attention to their cause. Typically referred to as, "peaceful protest".

2 groups talking past each other.

The only vitriol I have seen is from the "patriots" involved in the patriotic dick measuring contest. From "firing the sons of bitches" to calling for the protesters to be deported.
Do something during the new "legal" TD celebrations.

I agree with most of that....the one main disagreement is your belief that the uncalled for attacks come from only one side. Look back at many of the post....and you see many accusations of racism leveled at people that they do not agree with. Which has become all too common from a certain corner of society in lieu of argument.

Reactions: jbouton
I agree with most of that....the one main disagreement is your belief that the uncalled for attacks come from only one side. Look back at many of the post....and you see many accusations of racism leveled at people that they do not agree with. Which has become all too common from a certain corner of society in lieu of argument.
Also, all too common for a certain corner of society; thinking people should sit silent when they see obvious signs of racism.

I don't think you totally understand the facts. If several unrelated people walk into a bank and one person robs it, you're saying they should all be arrested? I'm pretty sure the arrests are for people committing crimes. Not the ones who aren't.
Really? Explain to me why drug use is the same per capita for blacks and whites, yet blacks (and hispanics) are arrested more often and serving longer sentences for the same crimes.

You can hide behind white privilege and the excuse that "oh well, they must be guilty" all you want. But the FACTS don't support that theory. Look it up.
provide your source for stats you mentioned. I am curious on the %per population of said races.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT