ADVERTISEMENT

OT, Has anyone stayed at The Grove Park Inn?

My wife and I honeymooned there 25 years ago. Have returned for dinner there many times over the years. Stayed there again in February of this year. Truly awesome place. You'll love it. The Blue Ridge dining room (take the right back hallway when you enter the hotel and follow the signs) is great as is the other restaurant to the left (forget the name). Get the Ploughman's Platter there. Unique meal. There's another restaurant on that end (to the left when you go in) that's high dollar fine dining. Do the seafood buffet if you can at the Blue Ridge. Amazing view. Cool to chill in the lobby in front of the fire places in the rocking chairs. You'll enjoy it.

My wife and I have been several times. Love eating on the veranda deck and viewing the mountains. I had one of the best steaks ever while dining there. Sometimes, you pay a little and expect quality, and we have never been disappointed. I have been to the Sunday brunch too. It is huge and expensive. I would probably do that once and then skip it the next time.

Went there when got engaged 23 years ago. Was very nice. We had our Engagement dinner at the expensive restaurant. First time we ever had expensive wine, Opus One.

Thanks for the replies. I have never been and thought this would be a good weekend getaway with a significant other.

It will be.....but save your money and stay somewhere else. Then take the Mrs. to the seafood buffet - on whatever day they have it. Top notch. You will not be disappointed in the meal and save a ton of money.

View is gorgeous.

The Spa is better than golf. Or, maybe my golf game is so bad I just enjoyed the Spa more. But really, the Spa is spectacular. I was there about 10 years ago so my review may be a little dated. Food was good, but I thought rather average for the price and I don’t mind paying for a good meal.

Grove Park is a beautiful, historic inn, as many have pointed out. The fresh air dining with views of downtown Asheville are spectacular.

If you're looking for an option in town, which would allow you to ditch the car and walk everywhere, I highly recommend the AC Hotel, the Renaissance, or the Indigo. Have stayed at them all, the Indigo many times. Easy walks to all of the great restaurants in town, which are many.

If you don't care about walking or being in town, Grove Park is awesome.

Spectacular setting. Lobby is the big feature. The rest is vastly overpriced. For a supposed luxury hotel rooms are quite small. Food is average at best, but the check isn't. Personally, I would stay somewhere else and maybe take a trip up there and wander around a while.

Covid nightmare. Maybe they will have things fixed by then but they care more about the locals in the restaurants than the guests. Went there a month ago and they would not allow reservations in any of the restaurants even though they were open and operating but short handed. They would not allow room service so we packed up and left rather than starving or going elsewhere to eat. Not even apologetic and still charged for the next night. AWFUL!

Thanks for the replies. I have never been and thought this would be a good weekend getaway with a significant other.
I haven’t been in years, but my first wife and I had many, many wonderful moments and meals there. Also had a property in Sapphire Valley, wish I hadn’t sold it sometimes.
Oh well, in Maine now with Wife 2, and still honeymooning!
Good luck and good times to you and yours!

I've stayed there many times, over the years. Always enjoy it. The rooms in the old section are small, have sparse, utilitarian wood furniture and are heated by radiators. Don't enjoy them. If you don't mind the cost, the club level is best. I proposed to my wife in front of the Christmas tree in the lobby. We're having this moment and this couple with a rather harsh, non-southern accent said, "Would youse people mind moving so we can get a picture of the tree?" I was pissed. But, the wife laughed and offered to take their pic in front of the tree. The lobby, club level and the spa are the highlights. (I don't golf, so have no opinion there.) It's great decorated for Christmas. They have the gingerbread house competition that's interesting, if it's still up when you're there. It's a bit of a trip back in time to the late Victorian era and has a certain old time charm.

Come to Highlands and stay at the Olde Edwards Inn. Much nicer and quainter. If the weather is nice and I’m not in Kiawah I will treat to golf.

If you want a truly special experience, go to the Greenbrier in West Virginia. It will cost you $$$$, but the customer service is second to none. They truly make you feel welcome no matter your circumstances. If I called them this morning for reservations, they would immediately ask if I wanted to reserve the Deluxe room where we stayed on our honeymoon, 30 years ago. Then a bottle of good champagne (on ice) and a box of excellent chocolates would be waiting for us when we checked in.

We spent a couple of nights in the Grove Park on the way back to Columbia. It was, frankly, a letdown. The Sunset Terrace was beautiful, and the food was excellent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT