ADVERTISEMENT

OT - What would you do...

Jan 10, 2019
FloTown
Was reading another thread about moving to a new place after years and years of living somewhere else. Got me thinking...If you were going to move - either to a new city or to a new state, where would it be and why? Personally, if I had me druthers, I would be looking at moving out west. Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah OR I would be moving to south Florida. Scuba Diving is the thing I would do every single day of my life, were I able to so S. Florida would be paradise to me. I have lived all over the east coast and have spent a ton of time in Texas and Louisiana because of relatives and family ties in those areas. Have visited out west quite a bit but have never lived there. Maybe once my kids get out of high school, I could consider that kind of move. For now, its only moving from Charleston to Florence. Yawn. Not quite near as exciting.....

Reactions: Bad seed
For me, it would be the coast of Maine. I love the rocky coast, and enjoy walking down a beach in June where I can walk in the surf and it feel ice cold to my feet. I also like that there are four real seasons, and I think I'm the only southern dude I know that enjoys cold weather.

Isle of Palms
Key West
Marco Island

Lake Murray is next to stay close to family while we still have parents & Aunts we love spending time with

Reactions: Bad seed
Was reading another thread about moving to a new place after years and years of living somewhere else. Got me thinking...If you were going to move - either to a new city or to a new state, where would it be and why? Personally, if I had me druthers, I would be looking at moving out west. Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah OR I would be moving to south Florida. Scuba Diving is the thing I would do every single day of my life, were I able to so S. Florida would be paradise to me. I have lived all over the east coast and have spent a ton of time in Texas and Louisiana because of relatives and family ties in those areas. Have visited out west quite a bit but have never lived there. Maybe once my kids get out of high school, I could consider that kind of move. For now, its only moving from Charleston to Florence. Yawn. Not quite near as exciting.....

My wife and I are both retired and if I could talk her into moving somewhere else it would be Wyoming or Montana- I love both of those states. As far as I'm concerned there is no state line between Wyoming and Montana. However I will say this, I would want to spend a little time there in the winter months to see if I could handle the cold weather.

Last edited:
I’d consider Montana, Colorado, or somewhere else scenic. I’d like to have a place in Virginia or somewhere that has 4 true seasons. I’d also like a home overseas...maybe tuscany region of Italy.

Reactions: jeff2001
[QUOTE="AsTheCockCrows, post: 4552365, member: 114648" would be moving to south Florida. Scuba Diving is the thing I would do every single day of my life, were I able to so S. Florida would be paradise to me. ..[/QUOTE]

This is one of the main reasons I really enjoyed living in So Florida. You could drive down to Key Largo in less than 2 hours and enjoy some of the best diving you will ever experience.
I always thought living in Colorado is somewhere I could enjoy.

Lynchburg, VA or Asheville, Nc. I have spent a lot of time in both places.

Reactions: king ward
Isle of Palms
Key West
Marco Island

Lake Murray is next to stay close to family while we still have parents & Aunts we love spending time with

All those places are full of yankees, which is a shame. I'm from Charleston and am already looking for somewhere else to live away from here. Can't take it any more. Dang Ohio and Pennsylvania tags everywhere. Way too crowded now and isn't close to the place it once was. I'm giving Florida a hard look, mainly because of the fishing and beaches. But definitely looking for somewhere thats not as touristy.

To answer the topic question: Florida or out west somewhere. Kansas, the Dakotas, Montana, Wyoming, etc.

imagine being 18 years old, and having offers to move anywhere in the country to play football in the finest facilities. This question is close to what they get to decide, though there is the historical winning factor to include. I think Columbia is a fine town. But there isn’t much in Columbia that sets itself apart from anywhere else in the world.

Reactions: jeff2001
Lynchburg, VA or Asheville, Nc. I have spent a lot of time in both places.
I lived in Lynchburg off and on for several years in the early 90's. Great little town but since I have been there, done that, wouldnt be on the list. Actually nowhere on the east coast would be on the list because I have lived in too many places there. Atlanta, Nashville, Charlotte, Lynchburg, Williamsburg, Orlando, Charleston, Florence, Pawley's and Surfside.

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
I'm coming home when I retire. I'm on my 4th and final location in Richmond, VA and in my opinion, Va sucks. If you like living in a very liberal state with extremely high property taxes, this is the state for you. I miss home and I'm ready to come back and enjoy the simple things in life. Good luck to the rest of you.

imagine being 18 years old, and having offers to move anywhere in the country to play football in the finest facilities. This question is close to what they get to decide, though there is the historical winning factor to include. I think Columbia is a fine town. But there isn’t much in Columbia that sets itself apart from anywhere else in the world.

When I was 18 living in Columbia, access to Sandy Beach Lake Murray & isle of palms & Folly in 90 minutes was pretty much awesome

The wife and I have spent the last 5 years vacationing in different areas of the Southeast looking for a spot to snow bird during retirement,

Our favorite spot has been Hilton Head Island. So much so that we've been vacationing there at least once a year for the last 5 years. Unfortunately, HHI isn't far enough South for my wife to hit the beach during the Winter months. I would be able to golf nearly year round.

I don't think the FL panhandle or Gulf Shores, AL is going to be far enough South for my wife either. We're going to check out Fort Myers in Sept.

It looks like where ever we pick for our retirement home that we will still be frequently returning to HHI.

The wife and I have spent the last 5 years vacationing in different areas of the Southeast looking for a spot to snow bird during retirement,

Our favorite spot has been Hilton Head Island. So much so that we've been vacationing there at least once a year for the last 5 years. Unfortunately, HHI isn't far enough South for my wife to hit the beach during the Winter months. I would be able to golf nearly year round.

I don't think the FL panhandle or Gulf Shores, AL is going to be far enough South for my wife either. We're going to check out Fort Myers in Sept.

It looks like where ever we pick for our retirement home that we will still be frequently returning to HHI.
Del Rey beach

Reactions: USMCatFan
When I was 18 living in Columbia, access to Sandy Beach Lake Murray & isle of palms & Folly in 90 minutes was pretty much awesome

That’s nice and all. But there is still better out there. It’s not great when the best Columbia has to offer is it is only an hour and a half from somewhere else.

Last edited:
Del Rey beach

The Mrs. doesn't have much experience with the gulf coast so we thought we would give that a look. Plus, looking online the real estate around Fort Myers is dirt cheap for some reason. Must have over built.

We will definitely give Delray Beach a look We like the Ft Lauderdale - Hollywood - Sunrise area.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
The Mrs. doesn't have much experience with the gulf coast so we thought we would give that a look. Plus, looking online the real estate around Fort Myers is dirt cheap for some reason. Must have over built.

We will definitely give Delray Beach a look We like the Ft Lauderdale - Hollywood - Sunrise area.

On the west side I like the extreme south
Naples & Marco. I fly into FT Myers regularly.
On the east side, Ft. Lauderdale & north upto but not far past west palm.
Keys particularly Duck Key, Big Pine, Idlsmorada & Key West remains my favorite

Well ,I would move to Montana. You could go all day and not see a car go by your house. That the way it used to be here in Blue Ridge in northern Greenville county. As a matter of fact, when I was a kid we used to play waffle ball at my uncle house and the road was the outfield.lol Cant do that now. Sad really

Reactions: Gaimcock and 92Pony
Also Amelia Island Florida , great little town. You would basically have the beach to yourself.

Just spent a few day in Colorado Springs, it was very nice. They don’t have he homeless problem like they do in Denver. I do like the northern parts of Denver though, and Boulder is nice as well.

Reactions: Carolina4
I think the football factors drive the decision a lot more than the physical location of the school. But to the extent that the physical location does play a part, I think Columbia has about as much to offer as any other place. As this thread shows, we're all looking for different things. For every kid that may think Columbia doesn't offer as much to do as, say Atlanta or Miami, there's another kid who's intimidated by Columbia's size, and another who thinks it's just about the right size. In my experience, Columbia holds its own with the other host cities in the SEC.

I'm there. For us, it was Montana. For 20+ years, we had dreamed of moving to the northern Rockies, Montana in particular. But it was always just a dream with no real expectation that it could happen prior to retirement. And by the time we retired, who knew if we would still be able to do all the things we love doing that attracts us to this part of the world? In 2017, an opportunity came up to move out here through work and we decided to not spend the rest of our lives wondering "what if." We're here and while we are still young enough to enjoy it. So far, we have loved it. Having said that, it's not for everybody - and that's just fine with most Montanans.

Reactions: AsTheCockCrows
Montana or Wyoming - somewhere that I could own about 200 acres and not have another house within sight......

Or, the mountains of western NC / eastern TN. Beautiful, beautiful country up there!!!

Montana or Wyoming - somewhere that I could own about 200 acres and not have another house within sight......
I certainly understand your sentiment, but with the sight lines we have out here, you will usually need to own about 2 million acres not to have another house in sight. I'm not sure how far I can see off my back deck, but it's at least 25 miles. Last hunting season was the first time I ever saw another hunter fire a shot . . . without ever hearing a report. I was watching him through my binoculars as he took a shot at deer. I estimated he was a couple of miles away.

Reactions: 92Pony
I'm there. For us, it was Montana. For 20+ years, we had dreamed of moving to the northern Rockies, Montana in particular. But it was always just a dream with no real expectation that it could happen prior to retirement. And by the time we retired, who knew if we would still be able to do all the things we love doing that attracts us to this part of the world? In 2017, an opportunity came up to move out here through work and we decided to not spend the rest of our lives wondering "what if." We're here and while we are still young enough to enjoy it. So far, we have loved it. Having said that, it's not for everybody - and that's just fine with most Montanans.
I spent several months in Ft. Collins, Co last year working hail storms. Beautiful area. What I wouldnt give to do the same as what you are doing. However, I am not sure there will ever be a retirement for me. Really dont have the opportunity until at least when the kids graduate from high school, which my youngest just turned 9, so...13, 10 and 9 year old girls....

Banner Elk/Boone area appeal to me, just kind of cold and snowing up there in the winter. I like cold weather though, and the heat in MP in the summer can be stifling at times, even near the water!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT