ADVERTISEMENT

Playing that game last night was completely pointless

rockingamecock

Aug 28, 2001
Soda City
We had a zero chance of winning before it even started. What a waste of time and money. And yes, I'm about as fed up with Frank as I am with Ray. Have a nice day.

Reactions: SOSUSC
Yeah I am not sure why we played. My guess would be money. Most decisions that don't make sense seems to somehow be tied to money. If we didn't make money last night by playing, it would be the dumbest decision yet by Ray Tanner!
When Muschamp started Bentley the game after Michael Scar..... won the game before for us, I knew he would be fired. At that moment I knew his IQ wasn't high enough to lead us. I don't really blame Ray for much but the decision to play last night baffles me.

How long has Ray been AD and what is our record in football/men's basketball since he became AD?
Is our record substantially worse since he took over as far as win/losses?
Not asking to disagree but I really don't know the answers to those questions.
Also, how else is an AD evaluated? Financial bottom line, graduation rates for athletes, facility upgrades, win/losses in football/men's basketball/ overall competitiveness of all the athletic teams?

How long has Ray been AD and what is our record in football/men's basketball since he became AD?
Also, how else is an AD evaluated? Financial bottom line, graduation rates for athletes, facility upgrades, win/losses in football/men's basketball/ overall competitiveness of all the athletic teams?
Well I think that's up the BOT to decide how they evaluate the AD. So since our BOT is absolutely terrible, I would imagine they only care about the financial side of things! As long as money is coming in, life is good. To them.

We had a zero chance of winning before it even started. What a waste of time and money. And yes, I'm about as fed up with Frank as I am with Ray. Have a nice day.
This was discussed thoroughly in another thread.

Clemson is and will continue to be an away Quad 1 team. Over the course of the season, Clemson's ACC schedule will significantly aid South Carolina's NET ranking. In the weird world of NET rankings, these losses tend to be more valuable over the course of a season than a Quad 4 win at home.

In the end, with the committee's continual reliance on NET rankings, Carolina really had nothing to lose by playing.

Well I think that's up the BOT to decide how they evaluate the AD. So since our BOT is absolutely terrible, I would imagine they only care about the financial side of things! As long as money is coming in, life is good. To them.
Hierarchy is BOT....President....AD. Even Caslen wouldn't remove Tanner.....Caslen, the President who vetoed Muschamp's buyout and the one who couldn't even explain the buyout situation of Martin to the legislature.

And Tanner will retire....this school can't afford to take a chance on pissing off any more large donors.

Why is that hard to believe? The schedule is set through the end of the season... it has no built-in "snow days". This game was either going to be played or forfeited. Just because you don't think you're going to win is not a valid excuse for not playing.
Yeah I don’t think most realize the behind-the-scenes logistics that goes into pulling off an event like this. You can’t just be like, “Nope, not playing today. Reschedule!”

Why is that hard to believe? The schedule is set through the end of the season... it has no built-in "snow days". This game was either going to be played or forfeited. Just because you don't think you're going to win is not a valid excuse for not playing.
Would have been a “no contest” not a forfeit. Didn’t neccessarily have to take the L and there were plenty of teams doing that. Tennessee game got canceled an hour before tip off.
It isn’t because you don’t think you are going to win, but the fact we had multiple players out due to Covid.
The inconsistency in how it all is handled is absurd. I would like to know another team that had multiple positive Covid tests decide to play. Against our rival of all. It pissed me off even more watching their guys flex and celebrate like they were doing something special.
No one will convince if Hall, Tyson, Collins were out due to Covid that game would’ve still been played. But that’s our rivalry….

Just don’t think ole clemsuck would agree to put themselves at such a disadvantage especially against us. Hard to believe it couldn’t have been rescheduled.
Again, discussed in a previous thread.

Carolina is currently in a COVID protocol. The earliest Carolina could play would be 26 December but for some/most players it may be 27 December. Carolina plays 29 December and 4 January. Clemson plays 29 December and 2 January.

No room to realistically schedule before 29 December. If it was even possible why would Clemson schedule a game that close to Duke (29 December). Carolina could cancel the 29 December SC State game but Clemson cannot cancel an ACC game.

No room to schedule between 29 December and 2 January -- 3 days. Again, even if Clemson "could" play 3 games in 6 days, why would they?

Not holding my breath the Tennessee v. Memphis will be rescheduled because of similar schedule issues.

This was discussed thoroughly in another thread.

Clemson is and will continue to be an away Quad 1 team. Over the course of the season, Clemson's ACC schedule will significantly aid South Carolina's NET ranking. In the weird world of NET rankings, these losses tend to be more valuable over the course of a season than a Quad 4 win at home.

In the end, with the committee's continual reliance on NET rankings, Carolina really had nothing to lose by playing.
In other words yet another drubbing by our state rival is a-ok if it marginally increases the chance this average at best team will make the NCAA on the outside change it finishes the season on the bubble.

Lordy I hope most our fans disagree with you.

Would have been a “no contest” not a forfeit. Didn’t neccessarily have to take the L and there were plenty of teams doing that. Tennessee game got canceled an hour before tip off.
It isn’t because you don’t think you are going to win, but the fact we had multiple players out due to Covid.
The inconsistency in how it all is handled is absurd. I would like to know another team that had multiple positive Covid tests decide to play. Against our rival of all. It pissed me off even more watching their guys flex and celebrate like they were doing something special.
No one will convince if Hall, Tyson, Collins were out due to Covid that game would’ve still been played. But that’s our rivalry….
I agree, And official Clempson social media has been putting out "we run this state" graphics all day.

There were tons of games cancelled or postponed yesterday. And if it can't be rescheduled with CU, shop around for a replacement game with a team that is willing.

Everyone on the planet knew there was no way Carolina was winning that game. Also, everyone in SC knows there is no way Clempson shows up to play that game had the scenario been reversed. Clempson puts huge priority on beating South Carolina in men's sports. FM and RT seem to not care very much. And the records show it. Last 5 years, CU is 9-1 against the Gamecocks in football and men's basketball. Pathetic. And no doubt, if these records were reversed the AD at Clemspon would have already lost his job.

Last edited:
Clempson puts huge priority on beating South Carolina in men's sports. FM and RT seem to not care very much. And the records show it. That’s exactly why…I hope they’re both in a bread line at the end of the year.

I agree, And official Clempson social media has been putting out "we run this state" graphics all day.

There were tons of games cancelled or postponed yesterday. And if it can't be rescheduled with CU, shop around for a replacement game with a team that is willing.

Everyone on the planet knew there was no way Carolina was winning that game. Also, everyone in SC knows there is no way Clempson shows up to play that game had the scenario been reversed. Clempson puts huge priority on beating South Carolina in men's sports. FM and RT seem to not care very much. And the records show it. Last 5 years, CU is 9-1 against the Gamecocks in football and men's basketball. Pathetic. And no doubt, if these records were reversed the AD at Clemspon would have already lost his job.
womp womp

In other words yet another drubbing by our state rival is a-ok if it marginally increases the chance this average at best team will make the NCAA on the outside change it finishes the season on the bubble.

Lordy I hope most our fans disagree with you.
Lody, I hope people have enough self-esteem to be able to handle losing to Clemson to meet a greater goal. How many games did we win or lose to Clemson during the NCAA Championship baseball years? Would you give the championship back for a season sweep? If you would, I hope most of our fans disagree with you.

I'm sorry but this logic is based on individual people lacking the ability to handle toxic people in their lives or toxic people who are upset because it hurt their ability to be toxic to Clemson people they know.

Our historical mediocrity should not be the bar set for AD success. In the end, wins and losses are the criteria.

Lody, I hope people have enough self-esteem to be able to handle losing to Clemson to meet a greater goal. How many games did we win or lose to Clemson during the NCAA Championship baseball years? Would you give the championship back for a season sweep? If you would, I hope most of our fans disagree with you.

I'm sorry but this logic is based on individual people lacking the ability to handle toxic people in their lives or toxic people who are upset because it hurt their ability to be toxic to Clemson people they know.
What greater goal would you be referring to?
And that whole ramble about toxic people makes absolutely no sense lol but hey some people are ok with losing I guess.

As RileyCock has pointed out several times, it was to our advantage to play the game regardless of the outcome. Frank Martin stated that Clemson didn't have an open date available to reschedule.

So we had bad luck and bad timing. It happens. Glad some of the guys who typically don't see many minutes got some floor time. Maybe that experience will pay dividends later in the season if we are in the mix.

As RileyCock has pointed out several times, it was to our advantage to play the game regardless of the outcome. Frank Martin stated that Clemson didn't have an open date available to reschedule.

So we had bad luck and bad timing. It happens. Glad some of the guys who typically don't see many minutes got some floor time. Maybe that experience will pay dividends later in the season if we are in the mix.
Yep. And if I had to make an educated guess, it was the players who voted to play that game. Thank goodness they aren't quitters.

The AD of both schools only responsibilty in that whole scenario would be to determine whether the game could be rescheduled.

This whole thread would be laughable if it weren't so freakin' sad.

Yep. And if I had to make an educated guess, it was the players who voted to play that game. Thank goodness they aren't quitters.

The AD of both schools only responsibilty in that whole scenario would be to determine whether the game could be rescheduled.

This whole thread would be laughable if it weren't so freakin' sad.
The only laughable thing is our inability to make the tourney year in and year out. But it’s ok. Brownell has made the NCAAs 3 times and the NIT 3 times. Glad we could help him and diminish our chances.
At the end of the day a loss hurts our chances, no matter what NET ranking spin people want to put on it.

The only laughable thing is our inability to make the tourney year in and year out. But it’s ok. Brownell has made the NCAAs 3 times and the NIT 3 times. Glad we could help him and diminish our chances.
At the end of the day a loss hurts our chances, no matter what NET ranking spin people want to put on it.
I never wanted FM from the beginning and thought he should have been let go last year when his buyout was obviously discussed. That has absolutely nothing to do with playing this game.

Reactions: RileyCock
What greater goal would you be referring to?
And that whole ramble about toxic people makes absolutely no sense lol but hey some people are ok with losing I guess.
The greater goal is making the NCAA Tournament. I don't care how improbable it appears but if I had a coach that wasn't even trying to reach that goal then I wouldn't want them to be a coach. Similarly, if a coach is going to cancel a game because he can't handle the other team bragging about winning then that coach is never going to be successful.

The toxic reference is to people who have Clemson derangement syndrome. You see posts all of the time about people who can't handle their Clemson "friends" or co-workers because we lost in X sport (usually football). If you can't handle these toxic people then that's a you problem and not a them problem. The number of threads and posts on this issue wouldn't be the same if we played last night's game at #16 Villanova and lost.

The okay with losing part is sadly the price you pay for scheduling. We already missed an NCAA tournament because of poor Quad 1 scheduling (in fairness, on paper some of those teams should have been better).

In all, the post was the game was "pointless." You can agree or disagree with the decision but it absolutely had a point.

The greater goal is making the NCAA Tournament. I don't care how improbable it appears but if I had a coach that wasn't even trying to reach that goal then I wouldn't want them to be a coach. Similarly, if a coach is going to cancel a game because he can't handle the other team bragging about winning then that coach is never going to be successful.

The toxic reference is to people who have Clemson derangement syndrome. You see posts all of the time about people who can't handle their Clemson "friends" or co-workers because we lost in X sport (usually football). If you can't handle these toxic people then that's a you problem and not a them problem. The number of threads and posts on this issue wouldn't be the same if we played last night's game at #16 Villanova and lost.

The okay with losing part is sadly the price you pay for scheduling. We already missed an NCAA tournament because of poor Quad 1 scheduling (in fairness, on paper some of those teams should have been better).

In all, the post was the game was "pointless." You can agree or disagree with the decision but it absolutely had a point.
Canceling a game due to the other team bragging isn’t what it is about.
We were the only team dumb enough to go through with a game yesterday due to a severe disadvantage that COVId has brought. Wouldn’t be so upset if all those others had to go through with a game.
And at the end of the day, there is a committee that uses subjective reasoning. Best case we will be 10-3 entering conference. IF we were to go.500 and end the season at 19-12 compared to 19-11. Say get a win in the conference tourney, a 20-13 record doesn’t look sexy enough to get into tournament, especially given our history. Lord help us if we end up on the bubble along with Clemson.
No I don’t agree with the decision. All games should have a point if played. Hopefully we take what good came out of it and forget the rest.

Reactions: roosterbell
Canceling a game due to the other team bragging isn’t what it is about.
We were the only team dumb enough to go through with a game yesterday due to a severe disadvantage that COVId has brought. Wouldn’t be so upset if all those others had to go through with a game.
And at the end of the day, there is a committee that uses subjective reasoning. Best case we will be 10-3 entering conference. IF we were to go.500 and end the season at 19-12 compared to 19-11. Say get a win in the conference tourney, a 20-13 record doesn’t look sexy enough to get into tournament, especially given our history. Lord help us if we end up on the bubble along with Clemson.
No I don’t agree with the decision. All games should have a point if played. Hopefully we take what good came out of it and forget the rest.
Sadly, you're over-valuing record. The "sexy" record is antiquated.

In 2015-2016, South Carolina was 24-8 with two wins over Vandy and didn't get in because of strength of schedule -- Vandy got in.

In 2016-2017, South Carolina was 22-10 and did get in because of the better SOS.

Syracuse gets in with

2020-2021: 16-9
2018-2019: 20-13
2017-2018: 20-13
2015-2016: 19-13

In college baseball, South Carolina gets a host as #2 seed because of SOS. The three loses to Texas helped because of how it aided our SOS.

In both instances the discussion hinged on the schedule we played and not just win and loss record. The last several seasons have shown how dominant the stupid NET ranking Quad system for the committee. Quad 1 wins v. Quad 3 and 4 losses are how the committee is making decision on tournament selections, even over head-to-head.

We're also forgetting that those kids actually tried last night. They battled and didn't quit. They went up there to win regardless of how low the odds were of succeeding.

Again, whether something has a point or not, exists outside your own subjective thought process. You don't agree but that doesn't mean that it didn't have a point.

Just cancel game. Why should USC care about Clempson problem with reschedule. Their problem not USC. Covid will probably create more of this. It was mentioned conference games will be a forfeit, correct?

Reactions: jonesz21
Sadly, you're over-valuing record. The "sexy" record is antiquated.

In 2015-2016, South Carolina was 24-8 with two wins over Vandy and didn't get in because of strength of schedule -- Vandy got in.

In 2016-2017, South Carolina was 22-10 and did get in because of the better SOS.

Syracuse gets in with

2020-2021: 16-9
2018-2019: 20-13
2017-2018: 20-13
2015-2016: 19-13

In college baseball, South Carolina gets a host as #2 seed because of SOS. The three loses to Texas helped because of how it aided our SOS.

In both instances the discussion hinged on the schedule we played and not just win and loss record. The last several seasons have shown how dominant the stupid NET ranking Quad system for the committee. Quad 1 wins v. Quad 3 and 4 losses are how the committee is making decision on tournament selections, even over head-to-head.

We're also forgetting that those kids actually tried last night. They battled and didn't quit. They went up there to win regardless of how low the odds were of succeeding.

Again, whether something has a point or not, exists outside your own subjective thought process. You don't agree but that doesn't mean that it didn't have a point.
Sadly we didn’t play anyone that year.
Just cancel game. Why should USC care about Clempson problem with reschedule. Their problem not USC. Covid will probably create more of this. It was mentioned conference games will be a forfeit, correct?
Yes conference games will be a forfeit, out of conference no.
Sadly comparing our schedule from this year to that year isn’t in the same ballpark (pun intended since you would like to bring baseball into this somehow). We played no one that year and lost to Georgia 3 times.

Sadly we didn’t play anyone that year.

Yes conference games will be a forfeit, out of conference no.
Sadly comparing our schedule from this year to that year isn’t in the same ballpark (pun intended since you would like to bring baseball into this somehow). We played no one that year and lost to Georgia 3 times.
Based on the SEC protocal last year, OOC games are a forfeit and count as a loss. Conference games are forfeits unless in the discretion of the Commissioner they are deemed a "no contest", which generally required that both teams have issues playing the game.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT