ADVERTISEMENT

So does Brady pass MJ and Ali and the greatest ever

Talking greatest player in American team sports .
Um, if you meant American team sports, why did you throw Ali into your post?
That said...no, Brady doesn’t surpass Jordan, but that’s the nature of football vs basketball. No one can completely dominate football the way a basketball player can. However, I think any argument against Brady as the NFL QB GOAT is now invalid.

That said...no, Brady doesn’t surpass Jordan, but that’s the nature of football vs basketball. No one can completely dominate football the way a basketball player can. However, I think any argument against Brady as the NFL QB GOAT is now invalid.

Very true . Never thought anyone would pass MJ but gotta say Brady is knocking on that door

I agree with this to an extent - the differences in sports is real and tonight the Tampa d-line was as much (if not more) of a factor than Brady and football lends itself to that more than a five- person team sports.

However, the way he has dominated football, at the most important position (possibly the only important position), for so long and at such a high level - I think he’s transcended the differences in the sports and he’s basically the best American athlete ever.

Who’s going to stop winning championships first, Brady or Saban?

To do what he did with Tampa Bay this year at his age was phenomenal. Clearly the GOAT across all sports in part due to his longevity.

Can we all agree that Ali , MJ and Brady are the mountain Rushmore of American sports . Who would be the 4th ?? Tiger?! Babe Ruth?!!

Tiger isn’t even the greatest at his own sport. That is still Nicklaus.

If the requisite is winning championsips - and it should be - he definitely becomes the dominant figure in the history of professional team sports.

Very true king but here’s one thing to consider ... Brady has lost 3 Super Bowls . I would say he lost 3 Super Bowls to inferior teams . MJ never lost a final series , in my recollection he never had one go 7 games . Also if MJ had not “retired” the first time he could have possibly won 5 or 6 in a row which hasn’t happened since the Russell Celtics days . Just something to stoke the fire . Clearly it’s Brady and MJ at the top of the heap and then there’s everyone else .

Reactions: redrogers
Very true king but here’s one thing to consider ... Brady has lost 3 Super Bowls . I would say he lost 3 Super Bowls to inferior teams . MJ never lost a final series , in my recollection he never had one go 7 games . Also if MJ had not “retired” the first time he could have possibly won 5 or 6 in a row which hasn’t happened since the Russell Celtics days . Just something to stoke the fire . Clearly it’s Brady and MJ at the top of the heap and then there’s everyone else .
Well that's one big difference between sports...basketball you have multible chances to continue, football, you're one and done. In my mind, you can't compare different sports/ athletes against one another. Its pretty safe to say though, that Brady is the goat QB of the NFL......jmo

Yes, Tom Brady was an average QB in College who lost his starting job several times and was 6th round draft pick. He didn't look good starting off, but being on the bench and make himself better made him what he is now.

What got his career started was the 2001 playoff game against Oakland Raiders. The fumble /no fumble was the turning point in his career.

AFC: New England Patriots 16, Oakland Raiders 13 (OT)

As Brady dropped back to pass, he lost the ball while being tackled by former college teammate Charles Woodson, and Oakland linebacker Greg Biekertrecovered it with 1:47 left. However, an official instant replay review caused referee Walt Coleman to overturn the fumble, ruling Brady's arm had been moving forward while being tackled and making the play an incomplete pass. Taking advantage of his second chance, Brady completed a 13-yard pass to Patten and rushed for a 1-yard gain that moved the team to the Raiders 28-yard line, where Vinatieri made a 45-yard field goal with 27 seconds left, a dramatic kick through heavy snowfall that barely cleared the crossbar, sending the game into overtime.

tom_brady_nfl_draft_combine_2000.jpg

Reactions: MScott64
MJ is still the greatest...then maybe Kareem and/or LeBron. Put Joe Montana in there, then maybe Brady. Montana and Manning were better than Brady.

And you're not even considering Ric Flair as a member of the Four Horsemen.

19861213_horsemen--7f1d52894b3762161e2b0bf3cc5cea2b.jpg

I keep goat talks specific to a sport typically. If you want to talk “greatest athlete” then I think of guys who were able to be pros in multiple sports like Deon, or Bo Jackson.. Even Charlie Ward comes to mind... Brady is the greatest QB of all time, but he is not the best athlete.

I keep goat talks specific to a sport typically. If you want to talk “greatest athlete” then I think of guys who were able to be pros in multiple sports like Deon, or Bo Jackson.. Even Charlie Ward comes to mind... Brady is the greatest QB of all time, but he is not the best athlete.

I guess it depends on how you define "athlete." If you mean athletic, then obviously Brady is not anywhere near the top. If you mean competitor, winner, leader, it's hard to find an argument against Brady.

Team Sports Mt Rushmore

Brady
Kareem
Babe Ruth
Wayne Gretzky

Individual Mt Rushmore

Michael Phelps
Usain Bolt
Jack
Federer

Jack and Federer both have slight advantage over Tiger and Nadal/Dojovic.

Reactions: CarolinaCocky83
Well, immediacy has a lot to do with these opinions. And the long view should prevail.

Bad comparison. Brady has won 7 SB. Jordan appeared in 6 NBA finals.

Reactions: bflogger28
He’s definitely the GOAT of the NFL, but nowhere near the game changer that MJ was.

lol, you must have some kind of dadgum high bar for being a game changer. The Bucs had not won a playoff game since 2002 and hadn't even been to the playoffs since 2007. Brady comes in Year 1 and promptly takes them to a Super Bowl win.

He’s definitely the GOAT of the NFL, but nowhere near the game changer that MJ was.
He would have carried the Wizards to the Championship. That’s what Brady did, he took another team to the promise land in his first year at the end of his career. Jordan looked slow and didn’t have it anymore when he was with the Wizards. Brady has won more championships than MJ has even played in.

lol, you must have some kind of dadgum high bar for being a game changer. The Bucs had not won a playoff game since 2002 and hadn't even been to the playoffs since 2007. Brady comes in Year 1 and promptly takes them to a Super Bowl win.

Here’s my question just to throw fuel on the fire . Was it really just Brady ?? Statistically Winston led the league in passing yards his last year in Tampa and threw 35 TDs but .... he threw 30 ints and lost 9 fumbles !!! That’s THIRTY NINE TURNOVERS from the QB position !!! So obviously Tampa has a lot of playmakers before Brady . If they signed Phillip Rivers or drafted a Justin Herbert would they still have have gotten to the SB ?? To me here’s the Brady factor .. look at all the TD’s scored last night . 2 by Gronk , 1 by Antonio Brown and 1 by Fournette . Honestly do any of those guys sign with Tampa if Brady isn’t the QB ?? I don’t think so .

I think you have to consider each sport individually. Brady is a great QB, but how good at basketball or hockey? MJ was great but not so much as a baseball player. Gretsky was great but can he putt Augusta National? Nicklaus/Tiger were great but can they hit a 100 mph fastball? Everything has to be taken in context. Brady probably is the GOAt QB but GOAT of all time, all sports? Not hardly

He would have carried the Wizards to the Championship. That’s what Brady did, he took another team to the promise land in his first year at the end of his career. Jordan looked slow and didn’t have it anymore when he was with the Wizards. Brady has won more championships than MJ has even played in.
I respect your opinion, but my opinion isn’t based on Championships. IMO the things Jordan could do seemed humanly impossible. Brady is definitely the best quarterback, but on talent level alone, my vote is for MJ.

It's an apple and oranges comparison. Brady gets props for winning it without the Patriots organization but he also came with the addition of Gronk and Antonio Brown. 2 different sports and 2 different situations when it came to how they went Bou changing teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT