ADVERTISEMENT

State of the program....

vidaliagamecock

Nov 20, 2001
Not good. We are a 20 point home underdog to a Florida team that got blown out by Georgia 34-7 and Dan Mullen is on the hottest of hot seats. I don't remember the lines for our worst seasons in history, but I am pretty sure we were not a 20 pt underdog at home after a bye. Vegas doesn't not like us, they really think we are a joke. But, hey. Satterfield is the OC, I am sure we'll be ok. I hate being a negative poster, but I struggle to find a positive other than Beamer's ability to not see problems (which is not truly a positive).

That margin surprises me too. I could see 10 or 11, but not 20.

If our defense can make a stand for most of the game we can beat that spread.

O'line is killing SCAR. If you can't run the ball, and don't have time to go through progressions to throw the ball that's disastrous against even average SEC defenses. Same at Kentucky this year. O'line has taken a step back in pass and run blocking......I was not very pleased when Stoops hired Eric Wolford from SCAR as O'line coach. We're beginning to see the same results you guys saw during Muschamps tenure with Woolford coaching the O'line. Sucks! We were supposed to have one of the best O'lines in the country again this year, but not even close thus far! In short, Beamer needs to hire a new O'line coach, as do we.....

O'line is killing SCAR. If you can't run the ball, and don't have time to go through progressions to throw the ball that's disastrous against even average SEC defenses. Same at Kentucky this year. O'line has taken a step back in pass and run blocking......I was not very pleased when Stoops hired Eric Wolford from SCAR as O'line coach. We're beginning to see the same results you guys saw during Muschamps tenure with Woolford coaching the O'line. Sucks! We were supposed to have one of the best O'lines in the country again this year, but not even close thus far! In short, Beamer needs to hire a new O'line coach, as do we.....
We need to hire new players too. If the current OL were any slower, they would be going back in time.

• Haha
Reactions: Patriot321
The state of the program is about the same as it has been the last few years. And about the same as it will be until the BOT and power brokers decide they really want to do win. And I don't see that happening anytime soon. There will be countless seasons searching the lineup trying to cobble together 6 wins to be bowl eligible for some low level bowl nobody cares about.

Not good. We are a 20 point home underdog to a Florida team that got blown out by Georgia 34-7 and Dan Mullen is on the hottest of hot seats. I don't remember the lines for our worst seasons in history, but I am pretty sure we were not a 20 pt underdog at home after a bye. Vegas doesn't not like us, they really think we are a joke. But, hey. Satterfield is the OC, I am sure we'll be ok. I hate being a negative poster, but I struggle to find a positive other than Beamer's ability to not see problems (which is not truly a positive).
I think the story here is what kind of Gator team shows up. It's possible they are demoralized at being 4-4 after the beatdown and have given up on their coach and season. If you get that team, I think SC's defense is good enough to keep you in the game. Keep it close late and anything can happen. If the opposite happens and you get a Gator team that is rallying behind their coach and looking to make a statement, it's gonna get sideways for SC- and quickly.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I would take the gators to cover, if I was a betting man. I see no reason to think we can block anyone.

That line sounds pretty reasonable to me. I'm hoping this Gator team is demoralized like SLODAWG said, but I can EASILY see us losing by 20 points. We may act insulted that Vegas would put the line at 20, but do any of us really disagree with that? If we end up losing this game 41-21, I'm thinking that would be an improvement over what we've seen recently.

I don’t think the FL kids will pay attention to this game, and that’ll show on the field. It won’t matter though- because they will win by 17 just by showing up. It could be a 28 point loss if Mullen gets them focused and they actually play well.
But...the state of the program is where many of us predicted it would be. One of the lowest points in the last fifty years....and a worse place than we were at this time last year. For those that don’t think so- reconvene in two weeks and analyze it.

Really sad, but there is not one post in this thread that I could disagree with. The telling one though references the BOT and their negligence in accepting anything but winning. They are the losers'.

.....I was not very pleased when Stoops hired Eric Wolford from SCAR as O'line coach.
Wolfie was such an upgrade for us when we first hired him in '09, I think some of us were convinced he was money in the bank. Unfortunately, he's not shown out since then. Probably my biggest coaching hire disappointment ever.
I think Shawn Elliott was a better OL coach for us.

Wolfie was such an upgrade for us when we first hired him in '09, I think some of us were convinced he was money in the bank. Unfortunately, he's not shown out since then. Probably my biggest coaching hire disappointment ever.
I was a big Wolford fan. I loved him first time around....but definitely didn't see the production the second time around. One thing that changed...having the SOS name attached to you made recruiting better players easier. I think he was left shuffling through midnight quiche and The Best of Folk '60s albums because all the Stevie Wonder and Led Zepp albums were gone already.

The biggest thing Wolford did for the program is convince Spurrier to recruit OL and then move on so Spurrier could get an actual coach.

Reactions: CatClause
One thing that changed...having the SOS name attached to you made recruiting better players easier.
I've not followed OL recruiting, but previous comments by Wolfie implied he wanted huge Big 10 type-power run OL, which may have not been the best types for SEC pass rushes.
The zone blocking schemes were supposed to allow for smaller/more athletic types of OL who were more mobile and should be better at picking up blitzes/stunts, etc.

I've not followed OL recruiting, but previous comments by Wolfie implied he wanted huge Big 10 type-power run OL, which may have not been the best types for SEC pass rushes.
The zone blocking schemes were supposed to allow for smaller/more athletic types of OL who were more mobile and should be better at picking up blitzes/stunts, etc.
Well...I don't think he got what he wanted or was looking for. We didn't get any 6'7 295 lb dancing bears, and we didn't get any 6'3 330 road graders. For the most part...we got the guys left over - plain and simple. I think WM and company knew this (along with other skill Offensive talent) during the process and knew where all this was headed. Every college coach knows WHAT he needs. Whether he can get it or not is another story.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT