ADVERTISEMENT

That loss to Syracuse should keep the Taters out of the final 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah.
How about work on it somewhere else, k?
I appreciate the offer. Let me mull it over, and I'll get back to you by end of next week at the latest with my decision. In the meantime, I will try not to hurt your feelings by discussing football on a sports message board.

K?

I appreciate the offer. Let me mull it over, and I'll get back to you by end of next week at the latest with my decision. In the meantime, I will try not to hurt your feelings by discussing football on a sports message board.

K?
K.
Gonna man up about the conference response?

Did you miss this part?

I guess you're not capable of reviewing the last few posts, so, basically:

1. cocky lady: "there were other teams that deserved to be in the playoff as much as Clemson last year."
2 Ken M.: "Oh? Who? What other one-loss teams got left out? Clemson was a one-loss team in arguably the strongest conference in 2016." (so I guess you're right, it was me)
3. cocky lady: *disappeared, weird*
4. BSF: "Yeah, well, enjoy that one year of the ACC being the best, because now MY conference is the best again!"
5. Ken M.: "OK. I agree. Go conference."
6. DarkCock: "Go away, this is MY free board, herp derp."

It's just football discussion. You don't need to take it so seriously.

K.
Gonna man up about the conference response?

I have strong feelings that the taters are starting to slip a little from the top rung and they know it. That offense is nothing like under Watson’s reign, and they needed every ounce of that to win 4 of their games last year.

Actually no. As far as I'm concerned, they essentially get a free pass this season. They just won a national championship last year, lost almost all the offense from that team, and so far this year are 6-1 and in the Top 10. I'm pretty happy with that.

Did you miss this part?
I don't miss. You were wrong.
And you were wrong arguing with cocky lady.
And you were wrong putting words in DarkCock's mouth as well as mine trying to defend yourself for being here doing exactly what I exposed you of...defending your team and conference last season.

You aren't fooling anyone. You're here because the loss to the Cuse is eating at you and you seek a sense of comfort "discussing" things here.

I don't miss. You were wrong.
And you were wrong arguing with cocky lady.
And you were wrong putting words in DarkCock's mouth as well as mine trying to defend yourself for being here doing exactly what I exposed you of...defending your team and conference last season.

You aren't fooling anyone. You're here because the loss to the Cuse is eating at you and you seek a sense of comfort "discussing" things here.
You appear to be misconstruing “discussing” and “debating” with “arguing”, but I guess we’re splitting hairs at this point. The discussion was about whether a 4 team playoff was sufficient to guarantee the best teams in the country had a chance to play for the title. cocky lady said that she felt several teams deserved to be in the playoff just as much as Clemson last year. I was curious what other team she thought should be in, and why. The reality is, when the committee selected the final teams, everybody knew Alabama and Clemson were 1 and 2. The debate was over who should be 3 and 4, and in what order. Asking about why she holds her particular opinion is “wrong”, in your words?

I can draw some conclusions about you, if you like. Here’s one: you made the statement that you simply do not care at all about what Clemson does, you ONLY care about USC and seeing them improve. And yet...you engage every single Clemson fan on this board instead of simply ignoring them. Why is that? It’s almost like...you care about Clemson.

You appear to be misconstruing “discussing” and “debating” with “arguing”, but I guess we’re splitting hairs at this point. The discussion was about whether a 4 team playoff was sufficient to guarantee the best teams in the country had a chance to play for the title. cocky lady said that she felt several teams deserved to be in the playoff just as much as Clemson last year. I was curious what other team she thought should be in, and why. The reality is, when the committee selected the final teams, everybody knew Alabama and Clemson were 1 and 2. The debate was over who should be 3 and 4, and in what order. Asking about why she holds her particular opinion is “wrong”, in your words?

I can draw some conclusions about you, if you like. Here’s one: you made the statement that you simply do not care at all about what Clemson does, you ONLY care about USC and seeing them improve. And yet...you engage every single Clemson fan on this board instead of simply ignoring them. Why is that? It’s almost like...you care about Clemson.
You are wrong...again. I don't misconstrue.

And you don't need to recap the thread, I've participated throughout it's entirety.

You're not here for discussion, you're here for a sense of validity and justification. You feel you're welcome here as long as you don't disrespect our program with malice and that you can garner attention and a degree of empathy as evidenced by your constant references to last seasons playoff selection, strength of conferences, etc. And now you're disturbed because you've been called out on it..on your rivals board.
As to your conclusion about me, well you're half right. 1) I'm born and bred in SC so caroling about what sCUm does is unavoidable. 2) Where you're wrong is about message boards and social media. I only engage when I feel I should.
And ITT I believe I've nailed you on every issue.

But I hope you still sleep well tonight.

You are wrong...again. I don't misconstrue.

And you don't need to recap the thread, I've participated throughout it's entirety.

You're not here for discussion, you're here for a sense of validity and justification. You feel you're welcome here as long as you don't disrespect our program with malice and that you can garner attention and a degree of empathy as evidenced by your constant references to last seasons playoff selection, strength of conferences, etc. And now you're disturbed because you've been called out on it..on your rivals board.
As to your conclusion about me, well you're half right. 1) I'm born and bred in SC so caroling about what sCUm does is unavoidable. 2) Where you're wrong is about message boards and social media. I only engage when I feel I should.
And ITT I believe I've nailed you on every issue.

But I hope you still sleep well tonight.
I don't know how I'm going to sleep after being nailed so thoroughly on every issue, but I'll try. You get some sleep too, and try not to dream too much about Clemson, k?

I don't know how I'm going to sleep after being nailed so thoroughly on every issue, but I'll try. You get some sleep too, and try not to dream too much about Clemson, k?
Don't you ever dare tell me WTH to do. And all my dreams that involve sCUm include that stupid crazy-eyed tiger laying horizontal...thus the crazy eyes, the scoreboard with a 0 beside CLEMPSON and me and my friends toasting.
Let's get together and for a cold one some time.

If you mean that Clemson probably doesn't have the horses to win the national championship again this year, yes...I think most reasonable Clemson fans would agree with that. If you're hoping they slip back into mediocrity, well....I dunno about that. You'd expect to see recruiting taking a nosedive for that to happen, and that doesn't appear to be the case at the moment.

They might not have the horses to win the ACC

Don't you ever dare tell me WTH to do. And all my dreams that involve sCUm include that stupid crazy-eyed tiger laying horizontal...thus the crazy eyes, the scoreboard with a 0 beside CLEMPSON and me and my friends toasting.
Let's get together and for a cold one some time.
May try to make the game in Columbia this year. Will have a cold one waiting on you if I do.

The reason you have strong opinions about it is because Clemson won it. Otherwise you wouldn't feel that way.
Funny how well you know me to know WHAT I'd feel when! You're so WRONG! I've not agreed with this playoff system since it started and think the other way was just as accurate picking a National Champion as this present way! Four teams selected based on a selection committee is NO WAY to determine a real champion IMO. They need more teams included & I'll feel that way from here on out regardless of the 4 they choose this year (OR who they chose last year)!!

Last edited:
Funny how well you know me to know WHAT I'd feel when! You're so WRONG! I've not agreed with this playoff system since it started and think the other way was just as accurate picking a National Champion as this present way! Four teams selected based on a selection committee is NO WAY to determine a real champion IMO. They need more teams included & I'll feel that way from here on out regardless of the 4 they choose this year (OR who they chose last year)!!
I disagree. The BCS works at matching the top 2 teams in the title game, WHEN it's overly obvious who the top 2 teams are. When it's not completely obvious, that's where the playoff can clear up the picture a little. A prime example is the 2011 season. Alabama lost at home to LSU. The BCS matched them up in the title game with....LSU. Why did Bama, who already had their shot at undefeated LSU, get a rematch over other 11-1 teams like Oklahoma State, Boise State, and even Houston? If Alabama makes it through OSU to earn their shot at LSU and a national title, fine. They didn't have to, though. It was given to them. Everybody outside of the state of Alabama thought that was garbage, with the possible exception of conference-hangers-on, which I know you're not one of.

Maybe 8 is better than 4. I don't know the answer to that. But voters picking the top 2 teams for a title game is dumb, or at least more dumb than a committee picking 4 teams.

Reactions: FJRTiger

Funny....and accurate.

The old system wasn't better. The BCS system involved the two media polls, and an amalgamation of computer polls, with varying criteria. You still had championship participants based on opinion, you know, like you have now. On top of all that, you only had 2 teams in the BCS, whereas you have 4 teams now.

By the way, this isn't directly related to your post, but have you seen some of those computer rankings lately? Take a look at Sagarin this week. He has Notre Dame (6-1) at #4, and Georgia (7-0) #5, even though Georgia beat Notre Dame, at home. Clemson (losing to Syracuse), Washington (losing to whoever) and Auburn (6-2) are ahead of TCU (7-0) at #12. If you go a little farther, Florida St is #22, at 2-4. Texas is #25, at 3-4. My point is, saying the old system was better simply isn't so, as this crap just illustrates.

Funny....and accurate.

The old system wasn't better. The BCS system involved the two media polls, and an amalgamation of computer polls, with varying criteria. You still had championship participants based on opinion, you know, like you have now. On top of all that, you only had 2 teams in the BCS, whereas you have 4 teams now.

By the way, this isn't directly related to your post, but have you seen some of those computer rankings lately? Take a look at Sagarin this week. He has Notre Dame (6-1) at #4, and Georgia (7-0) #5, even though Georgia beat Notre Dame, at home. Clemson (losing to Syracuse), Washington (losing to whoever) and Auburn (6-2) are ahead of TCU (7-0) at #12. If you go a little farther, Florida St is #22, at 2-4. Texas is #25, at 3-4. My point is, saying the old system was better simply isn't so, as this crap just illustrates.

If you mean that Clemson probably doesn't have the horses to win the national championship again this year, yes...I think most reasonable Clemson fans would agree with that. If you're hoping they slip back into mediocrity, well....I dunno about that. You'd expect to see recruiting taking a nosedive for that to happen, and that doesn't appear to be the case at the moment.
Serious question. Any concern that some of the DL struggles in some games this year are the result of the loss of Brooks and Hobby? Bates doesn't have near the experience (nor obviously the reputation) of Brooks.

Serious question. Any concern that some of the DL struggles in some games this year are the result of the loss of Brooks and Hobby? Bates doesn't have near the experience (nor obviously the reputation) of Brooks.

It's really a stretch to say the defensive line "struggled in some games" this year. Syracuse yes. The others, no.

Yes, that is a legitimate concern. I think they need to bring another coach in, personally.

If Bama and Uga go into the SEC-C game undefeated it'll really throw a kink in the selection committees decision.
Of course it will have a lot to do with how many other 1 loss teams are out there, but if it came down to one of those 2 losing in the SEC-C game over Clempson I think there will be 2 SEC teams in the playoff.

It is starting to look like our, UGA, win over ND is a pretty big win, ND beat 1 loss Mich St.and SoCal by a good margin, To us it was a pretty big win at the time, Fromm's first start, night game at ND. Not a ND fan, but beautiful campus. We have gotten much better since that game, OL has improved every game, but the back half of our schedule is much tougher, UF, USC, AU, UK and GT. We could lose them all or win them all. But even if we win them all, and lose to Bama in the SEC championship game, no shot we get in, Talk is out there that ND will get in as a 1 loss team over us if we finish with 1 loss, sucks for sure because of their schedule. Our only chance is to beat Bama in Atlanta and I can't see that happening, this year. My though is if ND is an ACC is affiliated with the ACC, ND or CU get in as a 1 loss team from the ACC, not both.

Funny....and accurate.

No, it's NOT "accurate"! I never said the "old system was better" - I said the old system was as good as it is now
Funny....and accurate.

Actually, this is NOT accurate! I never said the old system was "better" - I said it was as good as the present system.. I strongly feel that way

Funny....and accurate.

Funny....and accurate.

This is NOT "accurate"! I never said the old system was "better" - I said it was just as good - and I strongly feel that way! Selecting 4 teams versus 2 isn't exactly a REAL: playoff IMO regardless of who they choose this year, last year, or next year! I've said this since it started & I'll stick with it. Sometimes it may work but not on a consistent basis. Of course, the basketball field is much TOO large and they have bubble teams too, but they at least play off - upsets happen but usually the best prevail. In football many strong teams (some just as strong IMO with a right to prove it AND with equal records) don't get the chance because voters have decided throughout the year who's most likely going to get a spot before the season even plays out even when pre-picked strong teams (like Fla. St.) don't pan out but remain in the polls - this is how crazy some of this is! They just need more teams to determine the real champ IMO & it would leave no doubt!

No, it's NOT "accurate"! I never said the "old system was better" - I said the old system was as good as it is now

This is NOT "accurate"! I never said the old system was "better" - I said it was just as good - and I strongly feel that way! Selecting 4 teams versus 2 isn't exactly a REAL: playoff IMO regardless of who they choose this year, last year, or next year! I've said this since it started & I'll stick with it. Sometimes it may work but not on a consistent basis. Of course, the basketball field is much TOO large and they have bubble teams too, but they at least play off - upsets happen but usually the best prevail. In football many strong teams (some just as strong IMO with a right to prove it AND with equal records) don't get the chance because voters have decided throughout the year who's most likely going to get a spot before the season even plays out even when pre-picked strong teams (like Fla. St.) don't pan out but remain in the polls - this is how crazy some of this is! They just need more teams to determine the real champ IMO & it would leave no doubt!
The 4 team Playoff was to Generate more revenue.. PERIOD!! Not to try and determine a National Champion.. PERIOD!! The NCAA was fine with just picking a champ, but saw the $$$ signs!!

It is starting to look like our, UGA, win over ND is a pretty big win, ND beat 1 loss Mich St.and SoCal by a good margin, To us it was a pretty big win at the time, Fromm's first start, night game at ND. Not a ND fan, but beautiful campus. We have gotten much better since that game, OL has improved every game, but the back half of our schedule is much tougher, UF, USC, AU, UK and GT. We could lose them all or win them all. But even if we win them all, and lose to Bama in the SEC championship game, no shot we get in, Talk is out there that ND will get in as a 1 loss team over us if we finish with 1 loss, sucks for sure because of their schedule. Our only chance is to beat Bama in Atlanta and I can't see that happening, this year. My though is if ND is an ACC is affiliated with the ACC, ND or CU get in as a 1 loss team from the ACC, not both.
Here's a pretty good piece that gives some idea of the leverage ND always has when they field a pretty good team. As it is, they live for those years because they have nothing else to play for beyond the national championship.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...h-throw-college-football-playoff-race-turmoil

I'll give you another example of why the BCS isn't as good as the Playoff. First year of the playoff, 2014: BCS would have matched undefeated FSU with 12-1 Bama in the title game. Saban would have easily rolled FSU and would have 6 national titles now. Instead, Saban got matched up against OSU and got handled quite easily. FSU got absolutely SMOKED by Oregon. Neither of the #1 or #2 BCS teams made the title game. How do you argue at that point that the BCS worked as well as the Playoff?

I'll give you another example of why the BCS isn't as good as the Playoff. First year of the playoff, 2014: BCS would have matched undefeated FSU with 12-1 Bama in the title game. Saban would have easily rolled FSU and would have 6 national titles now. Instead, Saban got matched up against OSU and got handled quite easily. FSU got absolutely SMOKED by Oregon. Neither of the #1 or #2 BCS teams made the title game. How do you argue at that point that the BCS worked as well as the Playoff?
Easily, if you consider that outcome undesirable.

Reactions: Ken M.
Here's a pretty good piece that gives some idea of the leverage ND always has when they field a pretty good team. As it is, they live for those years because they have nothing else to play for beyond the national championship.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...h-throw-college-football-playoff-race-turmoil
Just more malarkey. It's pretty much the same story line as the BCS days only with this season's schedule and results to date.
As far as this season I don't believe it will matter because I think they'll lose one or 2 more. But even if they don't I don't believe they should get in over another 1 loss team, and shouldn't ever in the future, especially if the loss is in a conference championship considering they play one less game.
If they want to be treated like every other NCAA team they need to join a conference.
It isn't 1930. ND isn't special and they shouldn't be treated special.

The old system was not as good as the playoff system now. For starters, it only had two teams, vs four now. The old system also chose teams by voters. The BCS used the AP (then Harris Poll) + the Coaches Poll (which counted for 2/3 of the formula), and various computer polls (1/3 of the formula). The difference, at least in the CFP you have an identified group of voters who have a face-to-face discussion. That's in contrast to having random sportswriters and athletic directors filling out their ballots during lunch break.

If you want to make the argument that we need an expanded, qualifying playoff, I'm fine with that. However, to say the BCS was as good as the CFP is demonstrably false.

The fact that ND was allowed to play Bama in the 2013 national championship game is reason enough to have a (minimum) 4 team playoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT