ADVERTISEMENT

The decision b/w 2

DeBoer31

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2015
As if enough threads aren't already out there b/w these two....but we have a week or two left...so why not.
Herman and Smart.

Herman is at Houston. Everyone knows TX is a hotbed of talent, but what isn't discussed much is HOW MANY people are in TX. There are a lot of people, thus players in football crazy TX. So, there are a lot of legit D1 players that the state produces. They are like NC in that they have to also divide those players amongst a number of D1 football playing programs. Very much like NC can provide ECU with really solid D1 players, TX does the same for Houston. Houston has legit players. Look at their record the last 4-5 years prior to Herman coming. They weren't sub .500. They had a full cupboard. Herman hasn't lasted longer than 3 years anywhere to determine if he can bring in legit players, have them buy in to a long term philosophy and put down roots. Houston is the country's 3rd biggest city I believe? They have good tradition. Most importantly...they play in a non P5 conference that is in line with ECU, South Florida, Tulane, etc. That's a fine conference for what it is....but we should seriously recognize it for what it is, and not a Power 5 conference. So, if you are good with handing over the reigns to a coach that was at Tulane, or ECU, or Tulsa for less than ONE CALENDAR YEAR.....I question your crazed grasping at air.

Smart. Downside...never a HC. All of our best candidates are 2 years or less HC experience. Being Assistant HC to the best coach (probably) in college history...let's call it even. Still though- this argument shouldn't matter since we are comparing apples to oranges. Unless we are going after Chip Kelly, Gary Patterson types with substantial coaching experience, then take the HC exp. debate off the table. I would argue that as great as those guys are, even with NFL experience...coaching and HCing in the SEC brings a set of circumstances like no other job in the country. If that sounds funny to you, ask Jon Hoke how easy the transition is. Smart has a pedigree that is impossible to ignore. ANY jackleg with an offensive philosophy can come in, and often after 3-4 years it's copied, rebranded and figured out. Great defensive coaching can last. You think CU is in the position they're in because of offense or defense? They've been able to put up points and score. The difference NOW from recent years is that they can play defense now. Of course playing in a women's league of football helps out a bunch, but Venables and the defense was the missing piece for them the last 10 years. HIRE SMART.

Reactions: BoykinSpanielCock
It's all about recruiting. It all starts and ultimately ends with recruiting. All of the candidates mentioned in the media are probably good coaches, but who is the best potential recruiter? We need to make the SMART move.

Herman is you're new coach...........probably the worst kept secret in college football.

I think it's evident by the two biggest clues were Herman not agreeing yet to houston's last ditch effort to keep him there.............combined with the awful loss to Uconn, sign the coaches/team knew and checked out a little too early.

Herman's a great hire imo. Anything further down "your coaching board" wouldn't have been close to what herman brings to the table. JMO

Tanner was SMART by not going with SMART. That woulda been a trainwreck.

Herman is you're new coach...........probably the worst kept secret in college football.

I think it's evident by the two biggest clues were Herman not agreeing yet to houston's last ditch effort to keep him there.............combined with the awful loss to Uconn, sign the coaches/team knew and checked out a little too early.

Herman's a great hire imo. Anything further down "your coaching board" wouldn't have been close to what herman brings to the table. JMO

I agree with it probably being Herman.. But why do you think Smart would have been a train wreck? I'm not totally sold on him as a HC, but i would like to hear your reasoning as well

Think you might be right

I'll say this.....without Herman....Ohio States offense has become almost as bad as ours. Same players. Different OC.

WHAT IF Herman was offered the job last year...after Ohio States NC run and lighting up the scoreboard??? If Spurrier retired after 2014....and we hired "The Ohio State O coordinator" and his 1 year at Houston never happened? I'd have been happy with it.

With our def problems we must get a great dc if its to be Herman . Remember last year when we had record setting
offense and that d let us down . Since it looks like he might not get a look at Va Tech what about Bud Foster as dc.

To be honest, I think either coach would be a good hire (of course time would tell if it actually worked out). Herman seems to be that next young coach that many people want, and Smart WILL be a head coach somewhere. Sooner or later, he's gonig to get that first HC job. I think you can make good arguments for both (and whomever is hired, someone will make an argument as to why it was NOT a good choice).

I think the new HC is actually going to be someone else that nobody is really talking about. Most ADs always have a "list" of potential replacements for their highest profile sport's HC "just in case." While that list may be updated ever year, I believe Tanner had a list on his desk of folks BEFORE the HBC left and before Herman became the popular name after a hot start to this season. I would not be surprised to see a good name/established coach be "the guy" and it will probably be a surprise: maybe another current SEC head coach, maybe the guy from UNC, etc.

Either way - it feels like Christmas. There's that one gift under the tree and you have no idea what it is, but can't wait to open it!

Whomever it is, Go Gamecocks!

well, I try to my best to get rid of the muschamp comparisons, even though i think there's a little something to that.

IMO
- Bama is all saban as far as defense goes, does smart know defense? absolutely, but bama lands 4/5star talent in every defensive position.
-while i think smart is a good recruiter, i do think most of that has to do with the "bama/saban" combo
-It's a spread offense world today in college football. Smart has been groomed by saban most of his career and i think he'd bring a "saban style" offense (ie pro style) to USC, and no offense i don't South Carolina can recruit well enough to be successful by just lining it up and power offense your way through everybody (and nor do i think Clemson or many others can either). Bama, SoCal, maybe Ohio State and texas are the only few in the country that could afford to do that style and be successful.
-And the last reason..........I think urban meyer is a better coach than saban and herman was groomed by him. I think Herman's the best choice between the 2 in today's world of college football

JMO

well, I try to my best to get rid of the muschamp comparisons, even though i think there's a little something to that.

-And the last reason..........I think urban meyer is a better coach than saban and herman was groomed by him. I think Herman's the best choice between the 2 in today's world of college football

JMO

LMAO...I know it's just your opinion. But...UM better than Saban....SMH. Until Saban fakes a health problem to escape a bad and worsening situation to avoid taking his medicine....hard to even compare them in all seriousness.
UM is a great coach....but he's never won very much in the SEC without a QB named Tebow on the team.

i understand that point of view. It's an opinion and I think it's splitting hairs either way when comparing the two. I do look at what UM did at BGU and Utah prior to the "big jobs" compared to saban at Michigan State. Plus all you heard when UM took the florida job was "that offense will never work against "SEC defenses"."..................now most every SEC team has gone away from the "traditional" "SEC offenses" to some type of spread.

Both are top 2-3 coaches i just think UM has done a little more with "less" so to speak than saban. Can't argue with what saban's done by any means though

I understand not everyone on here is a football coach...just fans of our beloved USC Gamecock football program and university. But, there is all this talk that Alabama recruits itself, and Saban is the reason they come, and they're all 4 and 5 stars. All that has truth to it.

But, if you've ever played Middle school football at least, you can recognize the PERFECT fundamentals, form and passion that is demanded by the Bama defensive staff. I'm not talking offense. Well that same guy running the defense, and tutoring under Saban (DEMANDING and GETTING what he needs out of every player) and understanding what type of player is needed to run the defense is available for hire.
**To h#ll with Herman. Good lord people - just listening to the media. We need a football coach- not a flash in the pan guy that will be gone in 3 years if things go right, and fired in 4 years if he goes 6-6 every year.

Go youtube an Alabama football practice and listen to what Saban and Smart.
Highlights from 2012 defense. We've NEVER had this kind of accountability, demand for perfection, and execution on the field. Who knows what other great assistants (strength coaches, etc) he might bring?

This is who K. Smart has tutored under the last decade. You think he's ill-equipped to handle our HC job? You think he hasn't been under fire? Dealt with a little pressure before? He is more equipped to handle THIS job than any other coach in this country.

Reactions: CSNgamecock91
No new talking points here regarding the pro-argument for Smart and the anti-argument against Herman. None at all. If you are going to continue campaigning for one coach and campaigning against another, at least come up with new reasons. Repeating the same old arguments is a waste of time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT