ADVERTISEMENT

The State article this morning on a coaching change

A

anon_6poml7ajgpoqm

Before I get blasted and called an "idiot" by this board, I came across this article this morning. Just like anybody, I DO NOT put much stock into what The State paper puts out. However, after reading this article it definitely has some truth to it. For starters, I absolutely think that Muschamp needs to hire a PROVEN offensive coordinator. There's no question about that. If he were to do that, I don't know what that would mean for BMAC. Would you find another role for him? Let him go? Yes he's a good recruiter, but I'm not so sure he knows his X's and O's. I also think maybe a new Defensive Coordinator is needed. Again, TROB, great recruiter, not so much at the X's and O's. Idk if Muschamp is the answer here or not, but as the article states, look at how other coaches here faired at the 4 year mark.

I absolutely think that it's unacceptable that in year 4 you lose to NC, Mizzou, and Tennessee. There's no question about that. But when you consistently play the likes of Georgia, Florida, Texas A&M, LSU, Alabama, Auburn and etc. it is definitely a schedule and a conference not for the faint of heart. With that being said, if we can Muschamp, who do, or better yet, who can you get??? There is talent on this roster, but maybe some of the coaches in place definitely need to be let go as they aren't getting the players "coached up" right. Again this article below makes some valid points. Again, not saying that I agree on all of them or with The State, but worth a read.

https://www.thestate.com/sports/col...h-carolina/usc-football/article236747483.html

Reactions: GandBinNC
giphy.gif

For the 10,000,000th time: no proven OC is going to come here to be the 3rd OC in 5 years for a HC who is on a scalding hot seat and potentially be back looking for a job next year. No good OC will come here. Mark it down.

The opportunity for Champ to make a good OC hire has come and gone. His move to bring Werner in was, in theory, a good decision but it hasn't yielded any benefit as of yet.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Muschamp has never proven himself as a successful head coach. His record against ranked opponents, and his record of failed coordinator hires, provides all the evidence anyone should need. He shouldn't be given a chance to make more bad hires.

Nor should Ray Tanner...

Just to put my wondering mind at ease I would like to see how CWM would fare with a good/solid OC and DC in place. But as the above replies indicate, that ship has probably sailed. He had his chance. He himself said it was the lesson he learned at Florida. And then he went out and rolled the dice. Go figure.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
giphy.gif

For the 10,000,000th time: no proven OC is going to come here to be the 3rd OC in 5 years for a HC who is on a scalding hot seat and potentially be back looking for a job next year. No good OC will come here. Mark it down.

The opportunity for Champ to make a good OC hire has come and gone. His move to bring Werner in was, in theory, a good decision but it hasn't yielded any benefit as of yet.

giphy.gif

Ding ding

So since the ship has sailed and we pull the plug, who are you going to hire? Much less who wants to come here? I've seen Urban Liar. Not happening. PJ Fleck? Doubtful. Exactly who would we have a shot with?

Reactions: jimnasium
So since the ship has sailed and we pull the plug, who are you going to hire? Much less who wants to come here? I've seen Urban Liar. Not happening. PJ Fleck? Doubtful. Exactly who would we have a shot with?

Wait and see. If Champ beats Vandy and App State, he's safe. Shouldn't be the case, but is reality. A loss to either one of those puts his job in doubt. Lose to both and I think there's no choice but to let him go.

Reactions: jbouton
Wait and see. If Champ beats Vandy and App State, he's safe. Shouldn't be the case, but is reality. A loss to either one of those puts his job in doubt. Lose to both and I think there's no choice but to let him go.
C'mon, we are not going to lose to Vandy. However, we must beat App State.

I absolutely think that it's unacceptable that in year 4 you lose to NC, Mizzou, and Tennessee. There's no question about that.

You know they think the same thing about us, right.

Heck, Kentucky thinks the same thing about us.

You folks are chasing your tails, and being disrespectful while you do. Sheesh.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Before I get blasted and called an "idiot" by this board, I came across this article this morning. Just like anybody, I DO NOT put much stock into what The State paper puts out. However, after reading this article it definitely has some truth to it. For starters, I absolutely think that Muschamp needs to hire a PROVEN offensive coordinator. There's no question about that. If he were to do that, I don't know what that would mean for BMAC. Would you find another role for him? Let him go? Yes he's a good recruiter, but I'm not so sure he knows his X's and O's. I also think maybe a new Defensive Coordinator is needed. Again, TROB, great recruiter, not so much at the X's and O's. Idk if Muschamp is the answer here or not, but as the article states, look at how other coaches here faired at the 4 year mark.

I absolutely think that it's unacceptable that in year 4 you lose to NC, Mizzou, and Tennessee. There's no question about that. But when you consistently play the likes of Georgia, Florida, Texas A&M, LSU, Alabama, Auburn and etc. it is definitely a schedule and a conference not for the faint of heart. With that being said, if we can Muschamp, who do, or better yet, who can you get??? There is talent on this roster, but maybe some of the coaches in place definitely need to be let go as they aren't getting the players "coached up" right. Again this article below makes some valid points. Again, not saying that I agree on all of them or with The State, but worth a read.

https://www.thestate.com/sports/col...h-carolina/usc-football/article236747483.html
One problem is the fans, the players have unrealistic expectations and believe they are just as good or better than UGA, FL, AUB, TAMU, etc. making a loss to a team on even ground (UT, Mizz) seem like an embarrassment to the program. With that, I think Muschamp is strikingly similar to Tommy Bowden. Both brought in a slew of 3 star talent...enough to artificially raise expectations and pull off an upset most every year...only to be followed by the explicable loss.

The truth is Muschamp just isn't bringing in the talent. Sure, upsets happen every week, but when the roster is full of 3 stars, you just can't compete with the likes of Georgia, Florida, Texas A&M, LSU, Alabama, Auburn on a regular basis. You can't coach talent so changing coordinators wont help.

Just look at the numbers...
Since Muschamp started, he has brought in 1-5*, 30-4*, 57-3*
In that same time period
Clem has 14-5*, 33-4*, 32-3*
UGA has 15-5*, 54-4*, 25-3*
UT has 2-5*, 40-4*, 46-3*

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
Muschamp is the problem. Nothing ever changes with him. No matter what he says in pressers, no matter who he hires, the results are the same. The fix is to fire Muschamp!

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2

Of course they say the same thing about us. They should.
Look, hopefully everybody WANTS to win. Not everyone CAN win. Those that win keep their coaches, their ADs, and try to keep winning. Those that lose should replace their ADs and coaches and see if the next crop will win.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Just to summarize...this would be called jumping on a sinking ship. Most good coordinators don’t like to do that.

Wait and see.

LOL!!! Why, in the world are you wasting your time with this fool. Sun Shine Pumpers always start their diatribes stating ... "He's a great recruiter". This gameturkey said it twice! But didn't say why he thought so, give any examples or know what he was talking about.
Yeah Mushamp is a great recruiter! Yeah BMac is a great recruiter! Yeah TRob is a great recruiter. They just can't evaluate talent. ....... or coach.

Reactions: trekcock
The truth is Muschamp just isn't bringing in the talent.
Even though the article linked implied otherwise. The "talent" we now have is supposed to be an upgrade over what was inherited 4 seasons ago.....yet we are losing to SEC teams by more points that that '15 team that went 3-9.
And recruiting was supposed to be one of WM's strengths. Something is very wrong.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I don't agree. Throw out enough money and a big buyout, and you can get a top notch OC. Because even if things go south, a great OC will still be able to get another job and the blame will fall completely on Muschamp.

Reactions: Bwellbaseball
Les miles. Kyle Whittenham. Mike Leach.

You people kill me... In 2015, SC was 2 years removed from the greatest 3 yr. run in its history. The hall of fame coach responsible for the run quits mid season and at that years end, no winning HC coach worth a damn was beating SC's door down for a opportunity to coach here.
They settled on the best they could get .. a ex fired HC at Florida who was with another team as its DC...
What in the hell makes anyone think, now what will be 7 years removed from those "glory " years will make a top 20 coach stand up and say... i want that job!!...and no "hot shot" in demand assistant will take this job, they'll just wait for something bigger to come open
Sheesh.. some of y'all are in complete denial.
You best ride this guy out for a couple more years and see what happens...

Even though the article linked implied otherwise. The "talent" we now have is supposed to be an upgrade over what was inherited 4 seasons ago.....yet we are losing to SEC teams by more points that that '15 team that went 3-9.
And recruiting was supposed to be one of WM's strengths. Something is very wrong.
Defense was supposed to be one of his strengths too. Seen any lately?

As for the recruiting can’t say I see the big upgrade there either. If it was underclassmen would be winning jobs from upperclassmen.

The one consistent bright spot was the punting game. Then in true Muschamp era fashion we get one blocked for a TD.

How many are going to come on here and act like they're one of a very select few of football geniuses to determine that Muschamp needs to hire a good OC?

Muschamp is here next year, regardless, due to the buyout.

The proper order is to replace the AD now (or at the end of the season at the latest), and hire a new AD with a resume showing the ability to manage a major university sports program, and especially Div 1 football, with marching orders to fix the football problem.

Then, he gets to hire "his" head football coach.

It does mean one more frustrating season, but we're going to get that anyway.

Firing both the AD and the HFC at the same time leads to chaos and delays in hiring.

Just to put my wondering mind at ease I would like to see how CWM would fare with a good/solid OC and DC in place. But as the above replies indicate, that ship has probably sailed. He had his chance. He himself said it was the lesson he learned at Florida. And then he went out and rolled the dice. Go figure.

$$$ - If Dabo had been our AD, he would have let Muschamp hire whomever he wanted w/o regard to the price, but Tanner couldn't stand the thought of having to explain the price tags to our BRILLIANT BOT.

We're taking millionaire coaches and ADs to task. You're the one constantly blaming the amateur players for our misfortune. So who's really being disrespectful?

Muschamp is here next year, regardless, due to the buyout.

The proper order is to replace the AD now (or at the end of the season at the latest), and hire a new AD with a resume showing the ability to manage a major university sports program, and especially Div 1 football, with marching orders to fix the football problem.

Then, he gets to hire "his" head football coach.

It does mean one more frustrating season, but we're going to get that anyway.

Firing both the AD and the HFC at the same time leads to chaos and delays in hiring.

Agreed. I’ll live with one more year of muschump if we will be proactive with getting a new AD. We have to think long term.

Reactions: Nmbrtwn and SCExile
You people kill me... In 2015, SC was 2 years removed from the greatest 3 yr. run in its history. The hall of fame coach responsible for the run quits mid season and at that years end, no winning HC coach worth a damn was beating SC's door down for a opportunity to coach here.
They settled on the best they could get .. a ex fired HC at Florida who was with another team as its DC...
What in the hell makes anyone think, now what will be 7 years removed from those "glory " years will make a top 20 coach stand up and say... i want that job!!...and no "hot shot" in demand assistant will take this job, they'll just wait for something bigger to come open
Sheesh.. some of y'all are in complete denial.
You best ride this guy out for a couple more years and see what happens...
Not true at all. Lincoln came in for an interview and was interested. Les Miles was never contacted. Mack Brown was interested. Leach was never contacted. There were some lower level coaches who are winning but were never contacted. The fact that SS showed it can be done made USC more attractive.
You are blaming a colossal failure on the AD as lack of interest on qualified candidates. Ray took the easy lazy way out just as SS was doing his last coupla yrs.

Muschamp isnt going anywhere regardless of the outcome of the remaining games this season.

I don't think that Muschamp is in any danger. I do believe he will make changes on his staff. When Muschamp was hired, he said, in his first press conference, that if you can't recruit, you can't coach here. My advice to Muschamp is that he better turn around his hiring criteria by saying: If you can't coach, you can't recruit here.

There’s not an OC worth his salt that would be willing to hitch his wagon to Muschamp. Sorry, aint gonna happen.

Reactions: Dizzy01
I don't think that Muschamp is in any danger. I do believe he will make changes on his staff. When Muschamp was hired, he said, in his first press conference, that if you can't recruit, you can't coach here. My advice to Muschamp is that he better turn around his hiring criteria by saying: If you can't coach, you can't recruit here.
Maybe so but he ain't canning any coordinators and that's where the problems start.

Not true at all. Lincoln came in for an interview and was interested. Les Miles was never contacted. Mack Brown was interested. Leach was never contacted. There were some lower level coaches who are winning but were never contacted. The fact that SS showed it can be done made USC more attractive.
You are blaming a colossal failure on the AD as lack of interest on qualified candidates. Ray took the easy lazy way out just as SS was doing his last coupla yrs.
I don’t think Tanner took the easy/lazy way out. He put effort into the search it was just misguided and filled with incompetence. He was only hired to be AD because he won the two championships and it has proven out that him waving those rings at boosters gets money. Since he had no experience in evaluating coaches or even what goes into coaching football (or anything other than baseball for that matter) he just tries to push what he likes into everything. He told Frank Martin he had to stop doing everything that made him successful prior to coming here and he made up his mind that he had to have a football coach with head coaching experience so that was his only focus. When he got to a point he was considering Rich Rod it was clear he had zero idea what he should be looking for.

There won’t be any changes made on the staff unless someone leaves on their own. Even if they do you’ll only get a guy looking to rekindle a lost career or take another shot at someone with zero experience at the job.

Reactions: Chanticleer37
My wife and I was driving up to my daughters this morning and I heard them on the radio saying something about Mark Dantonio might be ready to part ways with Mich St. I don't really watch them teams that much but I don't guess hes been doing that good, but maybe hes just over it. I'd be ok with bringing him back an letting him finish out his career were it started.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT