ADVERTISEMENT

Time for a new baseball coach

Agree. After beating up on a bunch of cupcakes they got beat by a team that lost 3 straight to UCF and then to USC Upstate.

Yeah it just felt inevitable after our fans talked so much trash about them being swept.

Hopefully we do a real search and don’t just hire monte Lee.

It still amazes me how quickly the premier program in the nation became a dumpster fire and how long it has stayed there.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Like every other year under Kingston, we start the year with the entire lineup content to do what it takes to advance the runners. And most do pretty well going with the pitch. By week 4 the number of batters taking that approach has dwindled down to just two or three... just like clockwork. That ain't to say they cant turn it around, the question is will they.

Last edited:
Isn't Monty Lee now the hitting coach?
I believe so. But to what extent? Mechanics? Approaches? In game decisions? Who knows? Whatever the extent, I am hopeful he makes a difference. We are at the time of year a positive change or at least improvement over years past should start to show.

I’m sure it hurts a few feelings on this thread. But that’s a nice series win.
Go Gamecocks.
Beating the taters in Baseball Football and Basketball is a good year. I look for more threads like this one from the house taters to turn up the hate all coaches comments.

Reactions: cockn'fyr
I’m sure it hurts a few feelings on this thread. But that’s a nice series win.
Go Gamecocks.
Beating the taters in Baseball Football and Basketball is a good year. I look for more threads like this one from the house taters to turn up the hate all coaches comments.
I have no comments up above and I’m happy we have swept Clemsux in all the major sports.

However, Kingston is going to have to prove it to me in conference play. This is a bad Clemsux team and if this team struggles the way it has the last few years in conference there’s going to be a large fire on his seat by seasons end.

I can be a fan and still be critical of poor coaching. Football is on the right track. Too early to tell in mens basketball and baseball has been less than impressive since the year one super regional.

Thrilled on the series win. I agree with Ben on this. It's where we go from here that will tell the tale. I want to see the players succeed. They deserve the best we can give them. We're supposed to have all the tools we need. Let's do it. I'm wait and see. That said, I cant blame anyone who is not. I originally wanted him gone after year two... until he said we'd try something different. Still waiting for that to work out.

I try not to post while mad because I was real close on Friday night but thought better. Winning the series in baseball is all that matters and I’m so happy the guys came through. This looks to be a bad sCUm team but they didn’t lay down so we’ll have to see what the whole body of work is at season end. It’s past time for Kingston to deliver and we need to be pointed up this year or start looking for the right coach.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Glad for the series win. Always important to throw an L on Tater tech. However, we won't get a golden ticket to Omaha based on that. We will be facing top tier competition almost every weekend going forward in conference play. If we don't start to make ourselves known really soon we need to start looking for another coach. No reason we can't put a scare into some teams on the road and win more often then not when we play them here. Time to start making some noise.

Clemson stitching Omaha on the back of their hats is the biggest cringe in college baseball. Im pretty sure since they started doing that they haven't been to the CWS.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
Im still concerned with the team this year. Glad we beat Clemson, but this is very clearly a down year for them and the Friday and Saturday games were extremely competitive. Saturday could easily have gone the other way and we could be sitting here with a series loss to a bad team.

We should be making the NCAA tournament every year and most years we should be a regional host. Not making the tournament is unacceptable and Kingston has missed it 2/4 years. He still needs to show us something beyond beating a Clemson team that is probably going to finish with a losing record this year. He's had his time to get his players in. Its time to reward the fan base for being patient.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Kingston needs to explain trying to red shirt centerfielder Dariyan Pendergrass and playing Hogan and Stone neither of whom could hit their weight. Pendergrass transferred to Spartanburg Methodist where he hit .483 with 84 hits and 34 stolen bases last season.

Last edited:
I sure would like to see Kingston find a way to get Veach in the lineup and keep him there for a while. Guy is too good to be sitting while we have a couple of other guys struggle.

Clemson stitching Omaha on the back of their hats is the biggest cringe in college baseball. Im pretty sure since they started doing that they haven't been to the CWS.

What? They've done it for at least the 20 years I've followed college baseball.

It's one of the few cool thing they do.

I sure would like to see Kingston find a way to get Veach in the lineup and keep him there for a while. Guy is too good to be sitting while we have a couple of other guys struggle.
Staff seems determined to use him on the mound. Not my preference as a late innings guy, but I don't claim to be a pitching coach either.

Reactions: bucketdad
Staff seems determined to use him on the mound. Not my preference as a late innings guy, but I don't claim to be a pitching coach either.
I got that impression too. And I'd agree with that decision except that now we have a few guys who's batting averages are crashing and one of their swings appears to be in decline faster than his average and the options behind both of them look pretty thin. I'd like to think at some point you have to ask yourself where someone like Veach can help the most. And I gotta think a pretty good time to look would be soon with conference games drawing near. Imo anyway.

That said, French is another one I like but I dont see him in any other spot than maybe DH.

What? They've done it for at least the 20 years I've followed college baseball.

It's one of the few cool thing they do.
So you think it would be COOL to have Final Four or CFP College Football Playoff, stitched on our basketball or football jerseys? OookK

Reactions: CockFamily6
Is there someplace on here to see our baseball schedule and/or our record? I'm thinking we've only lost one game so far.

Is there someplace on here to see our baseball schedule and/or our record? I'm thinking we've only lost one game so far.

Reactions: ShannonL
Perfect! Thank you!!!

Kingston needs to explain trying to red shirt centerfielder Dariyan Pendergrass and playing Hogan and Stone neither of whom could hit their weight. Pendergrass transferred to Spartanburg Methodist where he hit .483 with 84 hits and 34 stolen bases last season.
So you think he'd be hitting .483 in the sec? Wonder why he didn't transfer to another sec school.....just pondering.

So far the team has obviously looked good against .500 competition. Our opponents have a combined record of 62-62. Now that we will be facing SEC competition we will see where this team is really at. Sanders has struggled and Kingston may need to consider a change for his Friday starter. Also we will see a big drop in unearned runs which we have been taking advantage of. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShannonL
So far the team has obviously looked good against .500 competition. Our opponents have a combined record of 62-62. Now that we will be facing SEC competition we will see where this team is really at. Sanders has struggled and Kingston may need to consider a change for his Friday starter. Also we will see a big drop in unearned runs which we have been taking advantage of. Time will tell.

Ha ha. Still holding out hope that we suck. - life must have been grand when you were a kid. Keep the tradition going.

Yep. Some people post way too soon
At this point no one knows how the season will end
Could go well or could not end well
But funny to see such post at beginning of any sports year

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT