ADVERTISEMENT

Time for a new baseball coach

I would like to think ML could help them find the adjustment needed. Of course the players need to execute what they're taught. Could it be they are not handling playing under pressure? National seeding, regional seeding talk maybe made the stage too big for them 🤔.
Maybe I've missed it but you used to be able to hear Monte talking to every batter at the plate at least a couple of times an at bat. The tv and the mics would pick him up. That said, havent heard a thing from him lately but maybe the tv has just missed it idk. That or for some reason, he's backed off.
What has me thinking about that is watching the ladies play. They are consistantly being coached before, during and after the at bat. It isnt like the guys where the vibe seems to be we'll get'em next time

Reactions: Jbouton2
Yeah if by next time, you mean next season...cuz this season is another failure in the making. A collapse of epic proportions but give Kingston a chance to create a more epic failure next year.

Reactions: cockofdawn
A collapse of epic proportions but give Kingston a chance to create a more epic failure next year.
That is exactly what will happen and you know it. Key words when it's all said and done will be injuries, injuries and injuries. The excuses are already baked in and Ray doesnt make moves if excuses like that are to be had. Bank it.

Kingston and Smith must be bedfellows, damn softball was on the losing end of a perfect game after we blanked the #3 seed, we play the final game for a chance at supers and we did nothing, alot of at bats were looking like the baseball team

Kingston and Smith must be bedfellows, damn softball was on the losing end of a perfect game after we blanked the #3 seed, we play the final game for a chance at supers and we did nothing, alot of at bats were looking like the baseball team
We start out the day defeating the #3 team in the country to force an "if" game and lose that game 1-0 and you compare that to the baseball team? Really?

Mid-season opinions are worthless. They could be in the CCU regional, not host a Super after winning that, and still make the CWS. Then everyone would say: "great season!"

Or they could lose two straight to in a bad regional and people would say (rightfully so): fire the coach (and AD).

Let's see how it plays out.

Still alive in SEC tournament and chance to host regional
So this one is fine. Season is still on going

Still alive, but lost the next game after you typed this.

And we've gone from "probably hosting a regional and top 10" to "chance to host regional" with no mention of ranking.

So no, didn't age well.

If it makes you feel better to pretend, carry on.
Maybe they'll get some of you keyboard warriors to coach the team next year. I'm sure your healing skills are better than Kingston's. Shameful that so called fans seem to take so much joy in bashing the program. It's really laughable that so many think that anyone that makes a difference will see what they post and make a change based on it. Or maybe it's just miserable people that look for other miserable people to join them in their misery. I guess the old saying is true " misery does love company".

Maybe they'll get some of you keyboard warriors to coach the team next year. I'm sure your healing skills are better than Kingston's. Shameful that so called fans seem to take so much joy in bashing the program. It's really laughable that so many think that anyone that makes a difference will see what they post and make a change based on it. Or maybe it's just miserable people that look for other miserable people to join them in their misery. I guess the old saying is true " misery does love company".

Great speech. Meaningless, but I bet it made you feel better.

Just ignore that I'm laughing at the irony of a poster whining about someone jumping the gun, while at the same time jumping the gun himself. Nevermind I even spelled it out a second time before you replied.

What's laughable to me though, is posters who are so hell bent at being "good fans" that they lash out at anyone not cheerleadering enough with the same tired cliches. Its a nice topper too when they get so worked up that they confuse people complaining about the team with people who are mocking another poster, and lash out at the wrong people.

So please, carry on.

Last edited:
I can see some of you only post when it’s negative towards the gamecocks 👍.
Not sure if some of you posted when we swept Florida and were ranked #3 etc
I do see that as soon as we lost today the post are back . Ha Ha
Like I said before. Just let the entire season play out
OR continue the whining

Reactions: mikeypen
I don't think questioning whether we have the right coach or not is being a bad fan necessarily. This program was elite at one time and now it is not even close to where it was. It begs the question. Why?? Does it not?

how much should we pay our next coach ? I saw were getting an OK product on the field from one of the least paid coaches in the league. I’d guess he could go just about anywhere and match or do better in salary.

For the record. I think he’s done fairly good job. Yes. It could be better -

Which one of these coaches would you want to hire ?

Vanderbilt's Tim Corbin: $2,447,059

Ole Miss' Mike Bianco: $1.625 million

Texas A&M's Jim Schlossnagle: $1.58 million

Tennessee's Tony Vitello: $1.5 million

Arkansas' Dave Van Horn: $1.35 million

Florida's Kevin O'Sullivan: $1,290,567

Mississippi State's Chris Lemonis: $1.275 million

LSU's Jay Johnson: $1.25 million

Auburn's Butch Thompson: $1.25 million

Georgia's Scott Stricklin: $655,000

South Carolina's Mark Kingston: $600,000

Kentucky's Nick Mingione: $575,000

Alabama's Brad Bohannon: $500,000

Last edited:
how much should we pay our next coach ? I saw were getting an OK product on the field from one of the least paid coaches in the league. I’d guess he could go just about anywhere and match or do better in salary.

Which one of these coaches would want to hire ?

Paying someone 2 1/2 million to coach kids baseball is the perfect example of misplaced priorities.

Reactions: Neanderthal

Which one of these coaches would you want to hire ?

Depends. 1.5M sounds about right for a coach favoring development over the portal... and a coach favoring his strategic experience, feel of the game and knowledge of his team over analytics or what some handbook says.

600K sounds about right for everyone else who doesnt.

Reactions: Jbouton2
Great speech. Meaningless, but I bet it made you feel better.

Just ignore that I'm laughing at the irony of a poster whining about someone jumping the gun, while at the same time jumping the gun himself. Nevermind I even spelled it out a second time before you replied.

What's laughable to me though, is posters who are so hell bent at being "good fans" that they lash out at anyone not cheerleadering enough with the same tired cliches. Its a nice topper too when they get so worked up that they confuse people complaining about the team with people who are mocking another poster, and lash out at the wrong people.

So please, carry on.
Great speech there. Thanks for setting me straight. Maybe you misunderstand. It didn't make me feel better or worse. I have thoroughly enjoyed this baseball season. lots of great wins. I love it when we put it to Florida. Wish we could have done better with Kensucky and Tenn. If you want to live your life being a miserable complainer who believes they know more about everything than everyone else. Go right ahead. Bet you are a riot to spend time with. maybe that's why you have so much time to post long messages on a meaningless message board. But, I'm sure RT and MK are hanging on every word you type. Right?

I guess we can blame injuries on the fact that this team can no longer hit. 1 hit going into the 9th inning. PATHETIC...................................... 5-13 since the Florida series. Not exactly a well oiled machine there Kingston. FIREKINGSTON............................................................................................................................................................................

Last edited:
Great speech there. Thanks for setting me straight. Maybe you misunderstand. It didn't make me feel better or worse. I have thoroughly enjoyed this baseball season. lots of great wins. I love it when we put it to Florida. Wish we could have done better with Kensucky and Tenn. If you want to live your life being a miserable complainer who believes they know more about everything than everyone else. Go right ahead. Bet you are a riot to spend time with. maybe that's why you have so much time to post long messages on a meaningless message board. But, I'm sure RT and MK are hanging on every word you type. Right?

So now you want to whine about long messages on a message board, while writing a long message on a message board?

The irony here is hysterical.

And you still can't seem to grasp that I'm not complaining about the baseball team. And that I don't care what RT and MK think about anything. Guess you can lead a horse to water.....

Now carry on whining to me about something im not even doing, I know it makes your day.

Last edited:
on a better note, Landon Powell's team won their regional last weekend and is hosting the southeast super regional this weekend.
You can watch the broadcast on NGUathletics.com Friday at 7:30pm. His team plays good fundamental baseball. One of his players (John Michael Faile) set the D2 all time home run record (76) last weekend. Jalen Vasquez who was on the South Carolina team and transferred plays shortstop. Lots of South Carolina connections on this team and coaching staff (Landon Powell, Matt Williams, Trey Dyson.)

Last edited:
on a better note, Landon Powell's team won their regional last weekend and is hosting the southeast super regional this weekend.
You can watch the broadcast on NGUathletics.com Friday at 7:30pm. His team plays good fundamental baseball. One of his players (John Michael Faile) set the D2 all time home run record (76) last weekend. Jalen Vasquez who was on the South Carolina team and transferred plays shortstop. Lots of South Carolina connections on this team and coaching staff (Landon Powell, Matt Williams, Trey Dyson.)
Would be interesting if RT has the guts to pull the trigger on LP. The pressure to succeed here, would be interesting to see how he and the staff would handle it. Not being critical of D2, but a different experience to be had in SEC ball.
With that said, I say go for it. Easy for me to say since I have zero experience on hiring baseball coaches.

As a Clemson fan I remember that bunch. Enviously.

2.5 mil. Underpaid? Lol
$1.3 according to that list. 6th in the conference. Hes won a natty, played for another (losing to us), and been to Omaha i think 7 times in just 16 years as a head coach. The only guy in the conference that has had more success is Corbin @ Vandy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT