ADVERTISEMENT

To all the Jamey Chadwell fans on here

He is a likeable guy who has done a good job, but I do not think he interviews well

This is what everyone said about Napier last year and now he’s at Florida…
???? Napier was one of the top candidates for the Mississippi State and South Carolina jobs at a minimum. In fact, per the MSU site, he took his name out of the running when he became the primary target at South Carolina and when MSU lost its top candidate to the NY Giants HC position.

???? Napier was one of the top candidates for the Mississippi State and South Carolina jobs at a minimum. In fact, per the MSU site, he took his name out of the running when he became the primary target at South Carolina and when MSU lost its top candidate to the NY Giants HC position.
Doesn’t change the fact our fans were arguing there was a reason Beamer got a P5 job and Napier didn’t.

If thats the key to your argument....its not a strong one.

I think the primary question is why Chadwell been generating a similar type of interest? I don't know...so won't comment on that part of it.
Napier is several years ahead of Chadwell on the coaching progression. Napier was OC Clemson and rebuilt himself as an Alabama assistant. He also spent a year as an OC at ASU.

Chadwell had a more pull himself up by his bootstraps approach. So it’s just going to take him longer to get his opportunity.

Napier is several years ahead of Chadwell on the coaching progression. Napier was OC Clemson and rebuilt himself as an Alabama assistant. He also spent a year as an OC at ASU.

Chadwell had a more pull himself up by his bootstraps approach. So it’s just going to take him longer to get his opportunity.
Don't dispute any of that. You are correct that Napier when named initially as an OC of a P5 school started off at a higher point than Chadwell and has been moving up from that point longer than Chadwell. Which may mean that Chadwell has to take more risks in his path....I don't know.

Sort of reminds me of the situation Gregg Marshall was in at Winthrop. He was successful but couldn't generate any interest from the top schools, including us.

Reactions: Dutch Cock
Everybody said Healy at UNC Charlotte was going to get a big job also. Never happened.

Reactions: rogue cock
Some poster on here, claiming inside info of their athletic department, claimed Chadwell was there for at least a year or two more. I don't recall if there was a reason given or if it was left ominously vague.

As for the Napier angle, I think this just falls back the when Beamer was hired. There were Napier fans and Chadwell fans, and when Beamer got hired, jokes were had at their expense about those other candidates not getting any other jobs. (Therefore diminishing them as candidates) Those jokes suddenly changed to only mentioning Chadwell when Napier went to florida.

Beamer was an assistant for a very long time before he got his first chance. He had been passed over by Richmond the year before he was hired by us.

Reactions: drawplay000
Napier got fired from tateru for not succeeding as an OC at a school with superior talent compared to their opponents. Reason #1 to be hesitant. Him and dabo supposedly didn't get along, and you know the rest of the country thinks dabo is greatest since slice bread. So I'm sure that holds some schools back from looking at Billy.

As for Chadwell, something about him and his style that doesn't sit well with big time programs. I also think he could be afraid of failure as a person, so no need to stir the pot. There's nothing wrong with being successful on the mid level and retiring. He's going to get a great opportunity to prove himself once the QB leaves. They are actually losing so many players that even w the QB staying, they may struggle this upcoming season. The next 1-2 seasons will decide Chadwell's future on moving up or not.

For Chadwell, maybe everyone wants to see how he will do without his stud QB.

You know what they say about the Joe's and X and O's

If he wins after the QB leaves he will get plenty of big time offers

If thats the key to your argument....its not a strong one.

I think the primary question is why Chadwell been generating a similar type of interest? I don't know...so won't comment on that part of it.
I don’t get the Chadwell witch-hunt. He’s not my favorite HC candidate but considering we were gonna hire cheap- he was potentially a godsend. I mainly don’t want to see him in the SEC vs USC.
My question is...if Chadwell isn’t qualified for our HC job...what in the h3ll has Shane Beamer done in his career to garner the same interest/interview/consideration ? Because no matter what BS is thrown up...Beamer had no serious responsibility running a team until one year ago while Chadwell has been a self made coach throughout the various lower stages of developing and running a program as a HC. That’s not a slight at Beamer...it’s just reality.

Chadwell has been passed over time and time again by multiple schools. That's a big red flag.

Reactions: TAV31
Chadwell seems to like it where he is at. I believe Joe Moglia has also made a lot of commitments to giving him the facilities and options he needs to build a program. Myrtle Beach is a city that arguably is more enticing to college-aged kids than Columbia or Clemson. Plus, having an easier schedule can't necessarily hurt when they're willing to play ranked opponents.

Having heard him interviewed recently, I know he will look to move up in class when and if he can.

Like him or not, give credit for their schedule or not, although I would remind you to look at the SEC OC schedule before commenting, his offensive scheme is fun to watch. And he wins his games. Something we havent done since Spur and he gave up on us midseason. We suck. They dont. My great nephew plays for them and he says its a blast. I am like others. When he was "mentioned" in the program at CSU, I thought he might be dirty. But you cant argue with success and no sactions. Maybe he and his offense would be a success at the P5 level. I dont know. But I do know we have sucked at football all but 11 years out of 106. Im willing to take a chance. But the BOT has to go and mirror Clemsux and Tanner has to go before any coach has a chance to be successful. JMO

This is what everyone said about Napier last year and now he’s at Florida…
A lot of people claimed the only reason Napier wasn't hired here was because we weren't offering enough for assistants, we know he's been in the running at a lot of places over the last couple of years, we know he interviewed here, he's claimed to have turned down P5 jobs and surely he has and I don't think anyone has denied that since our search. If anything most of the fans who doubted Chadwell wanted Napier until Beamer's name came up and a slew of former players endorsed hiring him.

Doesn’t change the fact our fans were arguing there was a reason Beamer got a P5 job and Napier didn’t.
Who argued that? I think I was just a lurker for most of that but most of what I read was supportive of him until a few inside or close to the program started going to bat for Beamer. I preferred Napier to Chadwell personally and would've been happy with that hire.

I was watching a coastal game late in season and the announcers were talking about how some of Chadwells offense has been added to some P5 systems so I don’t think his offense is holding him back. I think the Charleston So thing is part of what’s holding him back, but there has to be something else because last year he was coach of the year and didn’t get a sniff in Knoxville or Nashville and he is from Tennessee. I hope he gets a shot soon so this never ending debate can be put to rest.

Who argued that? I think I was just a lurker for most of that but most of what I read was supportive of him until a few inside or close to the program started going to bat for Beamer. I preferred Napier to Chadwell personally and would've been happy with that hire.

It was a year ago, so memory is fuzzy. I did a quick search and found wingchuncock. And I found it a few times, so it might have been just repeated rather than multiple posters, but my memory was that it was multiple posters.

It was a year ago, so memory is fuzzy. I did a quick search and found wingchuncock. And I found it a few times, so it might have been just repeated rather than multiple posters, but my memory was that it was multiple posters.
Meh, any opinion under the sun can be held by just one cat. I don't remember seeing as much but I wasn't as engaged with this site because I was still going that cockytalk would just come back.

Meh, any opinion under the sun can be held by just one cat. I don't remember seeing as much but I wasn't as engaged with this site because I was still going that cockytalk would just come back.

True. And since I found it multiple times, the repetition may have caused some to think it was multiple posters. As you said, my memory of posts from a year ago isn't verbatim.

Like him or not, give credit for their schedule or not, although I would remind you to look at the SEC OC schedule before commenting, his offensive scheme is fun to watch. And he wins his games. Something we havent done since Spur and he gave up on us midseason. We suck. They dont. My great nephew plays for them and he says its a blast. I am like others. When he was "mentioned" in the program at CSU, I thought he might be dirty. But you cant argue with success and no sactions. Maybe he and his offense would be a success at the P5 level. I dont know. But I do know we have sucked at football all but 11 years out of 106. Im willing to take a chance. But the BOT has to go and mirror Clemsux and Tanner has to go before any coach has a chance to be successful. JMO
CSU was sanctioned for playing several ineligible player: 2 year probation, a loss of six scholarships, vacated wins and a conference title. That said, I don’t think the findings point fingers at Chadwell since it happened across multiple sports.

It was the moment we went for Beamer, that everyone justified going for Beamer because no one else hired Napier.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I was watching a coastal game late in season and the announcers were talking about how some of Chadwells offense has been added to some P5 systems so I don’t think his offense is holding him back. I think the Charleston So thing is part of what’s holding him back, but there has to be something else because last year he was coach of the year and didn’t get a sniff in Knoxville or Nashville and he is from Tennessee. I hope he gets a shot soon so this never ending debate can be put to rest.

I call BS on his system being used by P5 teams. He was running RPOs like everyone but no P5 was running his 2 back triple option RPO system.

Reactions: GivEmDaSpurs
It was the moment we went for Beamer, that everyone justified going for Beamer because no one else hired Napier.

I was leaning Napier for a while but as I watched his team play I actually was ok with a different choice. Think his offense is relatively boring and old school spread that wouldn’t let USC win vs better teams. I thought the idea of Beamer bringing a version of air raid was what we needed. Sadly we got Satt. 😔

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT