ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal pickups

DeBoer31

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2015
I don't understand why/how other major University football program transfers keep eluding the USC football program. We mine the h#Ll out of players from conferences and schools that require a shadow of the responsibilities, pressure, talent and work required to play in the SEC. We have two guys (both OU guys) we recently landed. With well over 700 G5/P5 players in the portal within the last year...it worries me that we have not had more interest or ability to land these guys. Of course there are diamonds in the rough, overlooked guys, etc in lower levels of play....but the G5/P5 guys 'typically' are more well-equipped and ready to step in and compete/make the football better.
For the Sunshine Pumpers who will defend the south atlantic and colonial league conferences as being eaten up with talent....and everyone we take from there as being a top notch grab - you can't be serious. e.g.- Spencer Rattler is considered a better prospect than Jason Brown. Expectations, bets and liklihood is that Rattler will outperform Brown's efforts. What is USC 'not' doing to miss landing more of these G5/P5 players...and what can the staff/program improve upon to grab more of them?

Are you serious? We were 2-8. That's what USC did. The new guys(Beamer and Co) got us to 7-6, a very good recruiting class, and a legit top 5 QB. I'm not sure what else you expected considering we were just 2-8 and all the good players were transferring out. Now we are the complete opposite. Sure there's a lot of work to be done, but how can you not be happy with the current progress?

I don't think you can build a program with portal transfers. Mel Tucker struck gold this last year with the right mix of transfers. But if he didn't get the right kids through the portal this season, he better have recruited well and with a purpose.

The strategy all along for Beamer seems to be recruiting the right kids and developing them - knowing we're not going to out-recruit the top 7-9 teams in the conference on a regular basis. Then grab the difference makers from the portal that you can plug into a couple of key spots. Portal transfers only work well if you have a solid foundation.

I'm sure we could get SOMEONE if we just wanted ANYONE, but I think we're getting choosey and that makes it possible to miss out. We don't need bodies at receiver, we need stars. We don't need projects on the line, we need players. We don't need one and done grad-transfers at RB, we need depth next year, but more importantly quality contributors the year after. We talk can survive with what we got outside of those positions and should inky concern ourselves with potential upgrades.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
The coaches have been pursuing guys in the portal but the reality is not all of these guys are looking for a place to compete and play at a higher level as some of them just want to go closer to home. You also still have a limited amount of scholarships and roster spots available so you can’t simply take anyone who enters the portal.

I don't understand why/how other major University football program transfers keep eluding the USC football program. We mine the h#Ll out of players from conferences and schools that require a shadow of the responsibilities, pressure, talent and work required to play in the SEC. We have two guys (both OU guys) we recently landed. With well over 700 G5/P5 players in the portal within the last year...it worries me that we have not had more interest or ability to land these guys. Of course there are diamonds in the rough, overlooked guys, etc in lower levels of play....but the G5/P5 guys 'typically' are more well-equipped and ready to step in and compete/make the football better.
For the Sunshine Pumpers who will defend the south atlantic and colonial league conferences as being eaten up with talent....and everyone we take from there as being a top notch grab - you can't be serious. e.g.- Spencer Rattler is considered a better prospect than Jason Brown. Expectations, bets and liklihood is that Rattler will outperform Brown's efforts. What is USC 'not' doing to miss landing more of these G5/P5 players...and what can the staff/program improve upon to grab more of them?
"Spencer Rattler is considered a better prospect than Jason Brown" is an understatement of epic proportions.

What is USC 'not' doing to miss landing more of these G5/P5 players...and what can the staff/program improve upon to grab more of them?
4 guys visiting now, lets see what happens.

The portal is very active

INO6SUFXGNANPLUSWDY4HJAVI4.gif

we-aint-done-yet-dwayne-johnson.gif

Last edited:
I believe Beamer's first class is good enough to win, if we get good coaching. That's all I expect. I would have liked to have gotten another offensive lineman, a wide receiver and one running back. But, still, it's good enough overall. I believe next year's class will be better.

I will add that I hope one of our Safety recruits can play corner back.

Are you serious? We were 2-8. That's what USC did. The new guys(Beamer and Co) got us to 7-6, a very good recruiting class, and a legit top 5 QB. I'm not sure what else you expected considering we were just 2-8 and all the good players were transferring out. Now we are the complete opposite. Sure there's a lot of work to be done, but how can you not be happy with the current progress?
Very much so. 2-8 = LOTS of open STARTING spots.
How many players do you see transferring into Alabama?
Why is this hard to understand?
I haven't commented on this off season's progress yet. I'm talking about what was done the first 365 days.

I'm sure we could get SOMEONE if we just wanted ANYONE, but I think we're getting choosey and that makes it possible to miss out. We don't need bodies at receiver, we need stars. We don't need projects on the line, we need players. We don't need one and done grad-transfers at RB, we need depth next year, but more importantly quality contributors the year after. We talk can survive with what we got outside of those positions and should inky concern ourselves with potential upgrades.
But we did just take bodies this past year. We took guys from nowhereville, USA....and they can't /couldn't play on this level.
I was encouraged to see some recent g5/p5 players show legit interest over the weekend. I hope that trend continues.

"Spencer Rattler is considered a better prospect than Jason Brown" is an understatement of epic proportions.
Sure it is....but Jason Brown was the second coming of Joe Montana for the last year....which was a ridiculous stance many had. That's the point. There is always an aberration here or there...but I would prefer to hedge bets on previous g5/p5 guys over these other lower conf.'s that are akin to some top High School leagues in the country. The last year (and beyond...dating back to the last 1.5 of Muschamp's staff) we took A LOT of those lower level guys.

Has anyone done an analysis of the players transfer? Seems to me we have these situations:
1 Because they are not good enough on current team and want more playing time.
2 Are better than others on current team and want more NFL exposure by moving to a better school.
3 Need to move due to classes are too difficult or family/homesick.

Just guessing that number 1 is more frequent and number 2 is the rarest.

But we did just take bodies this past year. We took guys from nowhereville, USA....and they can't /couldn't play on this level.
I was encouraged to see some recent g5/p5 players show legit interest over the weekend. I hope that trend continues.
Bullshit they couldn't play at this level, Spaulding and Platel did. They both played major minutes as DBs in the 7th rated pass defense. Platel started and really did a great job defending in coverage. How about instead of just asserting that, you tell me how a starter in a secondary that finished 7th in the country against the pass isn't a legit P5 player.

Last edited:
I don't think you can build a program with portal transfers. Mel Tucker struck gold this last year with the right mix of transfers. But if he didn't get the right kids through the portal this season, he better have recruited well and with a purpose.

The strategy all along for Beamer seems to be recruiting the right kids and developing them - knowing we're not going to out-recruit the top 7-9 teams in the conference on a regular basis. Then grab the difference makers from the portal that you can plug into a couple of key spots. Portal transfers only work well if you have a solid foundation.
I think portal players will have to be regarded as quick fixes. Hopefully there will be pleasant surprises along the way. What fans have to accept is that programs like ours will have to mine that resource more so than the upper tier programs. It's just where we are.

I think portal players will have to be regarded as quick fixes. Hopefully there will be pleasant surprises along the way. What fans have to accept is that programs like ours will have to mine that resource more so than the upper tier programs. It's just where we are.
I don’t think there is anything wrong with that. I’m hopeful that at some point we start finding those types of guys. A guy that couldn’t break the starting lineup at Alabama could be a superstar here.

Reactions: rogue cock
Bullshit they couldn't play at this level, Spaulding and Platel did. They both played major minutes as DBs in the 7th rated pass defense. Platel started and really did a great job defending in coverage. How about instead of just asserting that, you tell me how a starter in a secondary that finished 7th in the country against the pass isn't a legit P5 player.
Platel.. Spaulding? WTH are you talking about?
I was as surprised and happy as anybody about J. Foster's efforts....and that ONE that found us had a great year for sure.
But....all those guys played against A&M, Tennessee, Georgia, Clemson, Missouri too.
I know you've been a fan for a solid year now...but things are a little harder in the SEC than they appeared this year. We had WAY BETTER DBs for the last 20 years that have struggled with a normal SEC slate. It will be back next year...and we will need guys that can compete on this level.
31-0 vs. A&M and 38-7 vs. Tennessee isn't exactly competing.

Who is to blame? It's never Beamer and Staff's fault. It's not the players. Is the band culpable?

Has anyone done an analysis of the players transfer? Seems to me we have these situations:
2 Are better than others on current team and want more NFL exposure by moving to a better school.

Kinda where I wanted to go with it too VA. I hope Beamer and the young staff figure out some early nuances and mine this portal for all it's worth. I hate the Transfer Portal...but if it's there...use it.
It is really hurting CU right now...Swinney's stance. So- I hope we utilize it better than they do and tap dance on their head for a few years.

and I don't know anything about the NC State kid pickup we just got....but I like it nonetheless. Doeren does a great job up there, and has high character guys all over his program. To me- that's a great bet. Who knows why he's leaving. Maybe his recruiter/coach he liked the most left for another job. Maybe he's behind a future 1st round guy. A change of scenary guy from p5/g5 team is just a safer gamble to me because those siutations are more likely a reason a guy would transfer.

Reactions: king ward
After 2 Welcome Homes over the weekend, I think that puts us at 10 over the scholarship limit as well.

I was as surprised and happy as anybody about J. Foster's efforts....and that ONE that found us had a great year for sure.
But....all those guys played against A&M, Tennessee, Georgia, Clemson, Missouri too.
I know you've been a fan for a solid year now...but things are a little harder in the SEC than they appeared this year. We had WAY BETTER DBs for the last 20 years that have struggled with a normal SEC slate. It will be back next year...and we will need guys that can compete on this level.

Who is to blame? It's never Beamer and Staff's fault. It's not the players. Is the band culpable?
Number 7 pass defense by yardage in CFB. You think that's possible with only one good DB? DJU had a 40.8 passer rating against us. The only teams you listed that threw for more than 200 yards were Tennessee and Georgia and they did that to EVERYONE. Know what you're talking about when you come at me, schmuck, because what you're complaining about is the run defense.

Edit: I have to correct myself, Florida threw for more because we let them pass to focus on the run. Vandy had 206 so they barely cleared it.

Last edited:

You are so bad at this. How can a decimated lineup be Beamers fault? Do you honestly think he can go into the portal and grab 5-7 SEC qualify DB’s in a years times!??

I don't know anything about the NC State kid pickup we just got

I did not either, below is longest video of his highlights I found, from 2020 when healthy.

He looked to me as an immediate upgrade in the run defense, not so much fast and twitch pass rusher as some articles said he was, does get pressure as well, but I like what he brings on run defense for sure.

I like what I see for being a freshman in these highlights.

https://insidepacksports.com/s/7699/2020-top-plays-terrell-dawkins

Funny how no one ever talks about JuCos anymore.

JuCos could be the ones that really start to lose out here. The main argument against them is that they can't get up to the speed with the Division I game in time to make an impact - there's definitely a steep learning curve, especially if you only have two years. But now you can get kids where you know exactly how they'll fare in Division I because you've got the tape of them doing it.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach

Oh, and by the way, as the season went in I admitted our run defense sucked, I said our LBS are r too slow and we needed a space-eatting DT. Didn't change the fact that our DBs did great at stopping the pass.

4) Poor fit. May not be a good teammate. Beamer wants student athletes who enhance the team culture.

Reactions: vacock#
You do realize the EVERYONE on this board could write your posts for you? They go on and on and on about the same things over and over and over with just a few name changes here and there. If you are to busy to post one day I’m sure we could find a sub for you. Maybe there is a sports board transfer portal you could look at. Find happiness somewhere if you can.

and I don't know anything about the NC State kid pickup we just got....but I like it nonetheless. Doeren does a great job up there, and has high character guys all over his program. To me- that's a great bet. Who knows why he's leaving. Maybe his recruiter/coach he liked the most left for another job. Maybe he's behind a future 1st round guy. A change of scenary guy from p5/g5 team is just a safer gamble to me because those siutations are more likely a reason a guy would transfer.
From what I see, he played a lot, which is a positive. He weights 246 lbs. according to the article I read, which would seem a little undersized. I think he will wind up helping us, however.

From what I see, he played a lot, which is a positive. He weights 246 lbs. according to the article I read, which would seem a little undersized. I think he will wind up helping us, however.
Not worried about his weight, good frame and he doesn't need to start next season. Should be able to get to 260 no problem.

From his interviews I think this might have been the bone of contention for him with the NC State staff. He said he wanted to play with his hand on the ground and they suggested he look elsewhere which would lead one to believe they wanted him to try and convert to more of a LB. Interested to see what Day and Lindsey can do.

Reactions: king ward
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT