ADVERTISEMENT

Watkins arrested

charged with assault and kidnapping? Knowing how strict Dawn is with her players she could get a years suspension.

Sounds like a nasty incident. As it reads, the kidnapping is a pile on charge, so it's clear authorities wanted to send a message.

In the few WBB games I watched last season, Watkins was typically the most obnoxious on the floor.

In the big dustup with LSU last season, she was the catalyst.

Either a big suspension or Staley clears room for another scholarship.

Sounds like a nasty incident. As it reads, the kidnapping is a pile on charge, so it's clear authorities wanted to send a message.

In the few WBB games I watched last season, Watkins was typically the most obnoxious on the floor.

In the big dustup with LSU last season, she was the catalyst.

Either a big suspension or Staley clears room for another scholarship.
Good thing Dawn got Douda from the portal.

Reactions: usc_nc
Feagin will start in place of Watkins with Douda and Tac as back ups.
I totally agree. I was just pointing out that because of Watkins being an experienced forward we needed another experienced forward on the roster. Tac has no game experience at all. Neither does Joyce Edwards. We might have had too many forwards on the roster, but when someone with Douda’s height and skill enters the portal you gotta take her.

Dawn MAY suspend her for first half of the the Charleston Southern game in December.. IF THAT..

She's suspended from the team now and any activities with the team. Phil Kornblut reported that last night.

Hopefully things get worked out.

Th
Dawn MAY suspend her for first half of the the Charleston Southern game in December.. IF THAT..
The university athletic department put out a statement yesterday stating the university’s policy is that any arrested athlete will not participate in any athletic program in any way until disposition of the case. I think her case goes to court in mid-Oct.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Last night WIS news reported that she was not suspended. A local attorney and house member spoke on how crazy our kidnapping law is in SC. If you impede someones progress, ability to walk or move in a given direction that can be construed as kidnapping. He plans to introduce legislation to change the current definition. Could Watkins have saved the victim from jumping from a parking garage? That's one story line.

As more details emerge it sounds like a lover's spat. Suspension of some type is probably forthcoming.

A lover's spat? Forget the silly kidnapping charge. Imagine if a man was on record doing to a woman what was first reported under any pretense?

Sure comes across like a watering down of charges against an athlete ex post facto.

Any member of a USC sports team is automatically suspended if arrested and charged. According to reports Watkins suspension has already been lifted. The victim has recanted the assault charge and the kidnapping charge seems nebulous at best. Does it sound like a lot to do about nothing?

Any member of a USC sports team is automatically suspended if arrested and charged. According to reports Watkins suspension has already been lifted. The victim has recanted the assault charge and the kidnapping charge seems nebulous at best. Does it sound like a lot to do about nothing?

Do the details of this warrant below sound nebulous?

The recantment was probably accompanied with an enhancement.

Again, the everyday man is headed to court for these charges.

-------------

"Watkins was arrested in Columbia, South Carolina following a warrant, filed by the University of South Carolina Police Department and obtained by PEOPLE MAGAZINE, stating that Watkins allegedly assaulted the victim by “forcefully grabbing her face, pulling her arms and pushing.”

"The warrant includes claims that Watkins picked up the victim against her will and “grabbed the victim’s head and forced her to walk down the hall, thus controlling her movement while preventing her from leaving."

"The victim was able to escape and pulled a fire alarm, per the warrant. Local police and fire officials then arrived on the scene and the victim was treated for non life-threatening injuries."

Do the details of this warrant below sound nebulous?

The recantment was probably accompanied with an enhancement.

Again, the everyday man is headed to court for these charges.

-------------

"Watkins was arrested in Columbia, South Carolina following a warrant, filed by the University of South Carolina Police Department and obtained by PEOPLE MAGAZINE, stating that Watkins allegedly assaulted the victim by “forcefully grabbing her face, pulling her arms and pushing.”

"The warrant includes claims that Watkins picked up the victim against her will and “grabbed the victim’s head and forced her to walk down the hall, thus controlling her movement while preventing her from leaving."

"The victim was able to escape and pulled a fire alarm, per the warrant. Local police and fire officials then arrived on the scene and the victim was treated for non life-threatening injuries."

If you watched the WIS report it made mention of the victim being restrained by Watkins from jumping off the ledge of a parking garage. The arrest warrant was made without a full investigation of the details which will be forthcoming. Why the need to sexualize and politicize this event? Not what anyone should expect from an alumni or a true gamecock fan. I don't believe you are either.

Last edited:
If you watched the WIS report it made mention of the victim being restrained from jumping off the ledge of a parking garage. The arrest warrant was made without a full investigation of the details which will be forthcoming. Why the need to sexualize and politicize this event? Not what anyone should expect from an alumni or a true gamecock fan. I don't believe you are either.

I imagine if two males on campus got into a fight and started grabbing each other and pushing and shoving and yelling, it would be a non-story. Officers might show up, break it up and tell them to go on their way.

This was a routine occurrence in my freshman dorm. The RA always handled it.

I don't know the specifics here but as usual, the coaches will handle it as they see fit.

Last edited:
If you watched the WIS report it made mention of the victim being restrained from jumping off the ledge of a parking garage. The arrest warrant was made without a full investigation of the details which will be forthcoming. Why the need to sexualize and politicize this event? Not what anyone should expect from an alumni or a true gamecock fan. I don't believe you are either.

You would be wrong...again. And if you would like to put a friendly on that, I'll be more than happy to oblige.

I'm literally posting what the warrant read.

That's typically the most accurate account of how things went down.

The victim also pulled a fire alarm and got the police involved.

That typically comes with consequence even if the "victim" turns out to be not telling the full story.

Last edited:
Reactions: PC31
I imagine if two males on campus got into a fight and started grabbing each other and pushing and shoving and yelling, it would be a non-story. Officers might show up, break it up and tell them to go on their way.

This was a routine occurrence in my freshman dorm. The RA always handled it.

I don't know the specifics here but as usual, the coaches will handle it as they see fit.

You are "imagining" wrong.

It made the national press and the officers at the scene added a kidnapping charge most likely because the viewed the incident as over the top and wanted to bolster charges.

Also, there's no way there weren't witnesses who corroborated what was in the warrant before the police recorded the event.

Unless you believe they were just out to get Watkins for some reason?

You would be wrong...again. And if you would like to put a friendly on that, I'll be more than happy to oblige.

That typically comes with consequence even if the "victim" turns out to be not telling the full story.
Yep, just like in SC’s Domestic Abuse calls to the police: somebody is going to jail immediately when they show up.

Reactions: Ward Jr
Yep, just like in SC’s Domestic Abuse calls to the police: somebody is going to jail immediately when they show up.

Watkins was arrested.

I don't think this is domestic abuse given the definition in South Carolina. I don't think any of us playing lawyer is helpful here because we really don't know. We will see how it plays out.

So what year did you graduate from Carolina?

Events like this are not unusual in college. If you guys went to Carolina you would know that. I remember freshman getting really drunk for the first time and doing incredibly stupid things. A grad assistant at Maxcy bringing ethanol from the lab and brewing up PJ. Guys on our hall should have been taken to the ER but instead spent the night puking and crawling on the floor trying to stand up. The deputy dog campus police are prone to over react these days due to all the student unrest and recent frat deaths. The only reason this event made headlines was because it involved one of the most celebrated players on a national championship team.

So what year did you graduate from Carolina?
Indeed 1974. Lived in the Honeycombs my freshman year but got married my sophomore year and lived in Married Student Apartments behind the Russell House. Still married to my beautiful bride who was a Nursing school student at the time. We both graduated the same day. 🙂

International Business MIB in 1997.

From this point, please let me know if you would like to try to leverage your theory.

I'm not doxxing for no reason.

If you didn't attend Carolina as an undergrad perhaps I can understand the lack of school spirit. I graduated from Wofford but lived on campus at Carolina for my master's. Roomed next to Frank's boys while the Roost was under construction and became sold on all things associated with USC athletics. Troubling is how you became and remain a Trumper. For many, higher education breeds liberalism but that's certainly not the case with you.

Last edited:
A lover's spat? Forget the silly kidnapping charge. Imagine if a man was on record doing to a woman what was first reported under any pretense?

Sure comes across like a watering down of charges against an athlete ex post facto.
Or a fall weekend at Clemson...

If you didn't attend Carolina as an undergrad perhaps I can understand the lack of school spirit. I graduated from Wofford but lived on campus at Carolina for my master's. Roomed next to Frank's boys while the Roost was under construction and became sold on all things associated with USC athletics. Troubling is how you became and remain a Trumper. For many, higher education breeds liberalism but that's certainly not the case with you.

Can we just have one f'ing thread that doesn't turn into political BS?? Is that too much to ask on a sports message board.

Lack of school spirit? I've actively followed USC Sports since attending.

Apologies for not being a male adult who is fixated on a type of basketball that women play.

Lack of school spirit? I've actively followed USC Sports since attending.

Apologies for not being a male adult who is fixated on a type of basketball that women play.

Disparaging posts and comments regarding the most successful program in USC sports history calls into question your school spirit and a lot more. Living in Columbia for most of my life I know several hundred USC grads but none who aren't proud of Dawn and her championship program. Claiming a masters degree from the top grad program in our country and being a maga cultist seems an inconceivable contradiction.

Disparaging posts and comments regarding the most successful program in USC sports history calls into question your school spirit and a lot more. Living in Columbia for most of my life I know several hundred USC grads but none who aren't proud of Dawn and her championship program. Claiming a masters degree from the top grad program in our country and being a maga cultist seems an inconceivable contradiction.

When your virtue signaling high wears off, please guide me to my disparaging posts in this thread.

I follow WBB in season. It's just not a religion for me.

Reactions: cockofdawn
When your virtue signaling high wears off, please guide me to my disparaging posts in this thread.

I follow WBB in season. It's just not a religion for me.
Your disparaging comments are all over this thread. Many people who hold implicit bias aren't even aware that they do.

"In the few WBB games I watched last season, Watkins was typically the most obnoxious on the floor."

"In the big dustup with LSU last season, she was the catalyst."

"A lover's spat? Forget the silly kidnapping charge. Imagine if a man was on record doing to a woman what was first reported under any pretense?"

"Sure comes across like a watering down of charges against an athlete ex post facto."

"The recantment was probably accompanied with an enhancement'.

"Again, the everyday man is headed to court for these charges."

"It made the national press and the officers at the scene added a kidnapping charge most likely because the viewed the incident as over the top and wanted to bolster charges."

Your disparaging comments are all over this thread. Many people who hold implicit bias aren't even aware that they do.

"In the few WBB games I watched last season, Watkins was typically the most obnoxious on the floor."

"In the big dustup with LSU last season, she was the catalyst."

"A lover's spat? Forget the silly kidnapping charge. Imagine if a man was on record doing to a woman what was first reported under any pretense?"

"Sure comes across like a watering down of charges against an athlete ex post facto."

"The recantment was probably accompanied with an enhancement'.

"Again, the everyday man is headed to court for these charges."

"It made the national press and the officers at the scene added a kidnapping charge most likely because the viewed the incident as over the top and wanted to bolster charges."

You don't wear the CNN drama outfit well.

Watkins could be obnoxious and she was the catalyst in that episode with LSU. Go watch the tape.

So you believe that the initial report detailing Watkins' behavior was bogus?

And that there were no signs of physical injury or distress in creating a report like that?

And there were no witness accounts?

If any of this is true, the Columbia PD sure had it out for her from the beginning.

What most likely happened is that the CPD overcharged her with the kidnapping as I had immediately predicted when you posted this info....and it was that which provided her defense team leverage to start unwinding charges. That's how the system works.

I love the fact that some of our players might be obnoxious. That can get under the skin of other players on the other team and cause them not to play their best.

I wish we had more like that. I always pulled against those great Detroit Pistons teams because of their obnoxious behavior. But it was beautiful. They always used it to their advantage on the court. Dang they were good.

You don't wear the CNN drama outfit well.

Watkins could be obnoxious and she was the catalyst in that episode with LSU. Go watch the tape.

So you believe that the initial report detailing Watkins' behavior was bogus?

And that there were no signs of physical injury or distress in creating a report like that?

And there were no witness accounts?

If any of this is true, the Columbia PD sure had it out for her from the beginning.

What most likely happened is that the CPD overcharged her with the kidnapping as I had immediately predicted when you posted this info....and it was that which provided her defense team leverage to start unwinding charges. That's how the system work
Regardless of what she was charged with, she obviously was doing something she wasnt supposed too. She is in fact a representative of the USC, whether she likes it or not, and SHOULD be disciplined by her coaching staff (IMO).. But i am guessing that will not happen on Dawn's watch!!

Regardless of what she was charged with, she obviously was doing something she wasnt supposed too. She is in fact a representative of the USC, whether she likes it or not, and SHOULD be disciplined by her coaching staff (IMO).. But i am guessing that will not happen on Dawn's watch!!
LOL

I fully expect Dawn will lower the boom on her and already has done so. But she's not going to do that in the media nor should she. Unless virtual signaling is what you are looking for so that anonymous message board posters feel better about it.

Dawn runs a fantastic program, the envy of the college basketball world- and probably pro world too. She doesn't do that by letting her players do whatever they want.

She has 3 national championship titles. She knows what she's doing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT