ADVERTISEMENT

We are going to beat Clemson

I'm not an X's and O's guy, but based on my limited knowledge, I think we match up with them fairly well. However they are clearly far more talented, and if I just judged this game on paper, would say they'd win by 2 scores.

But...

If we contain the run and don't allow Etienne or Feaster to rip off big plays, I think we stand a decent shot to hold them to around 21-28 points. Scoring will obviously be tough, but Clem is battered on defense, especially in the backfield. Think we will have opportunities to hit some big passing plays. Will not be able to run on them very much.

Have to win turnover battle. Have to hit Bryant hard and often. Have to score TD's in the red zone. Have to force them to kick field goals (their kicker has been shaky at best). Crowd will be raucous, especially if we hit them early.

Will not predict a victory, but I'll admit I'd be surprised if we aren't in it going into the 4th quarter.

doubting our Gamecocks..and you want to be my latex salesman?

Hmmm, good question, I think ironic if we beat Clemson due to all the the complaints on Roper especially if they are saving playbook some.

I love this staff, I think Muschamp wants a certain higher level of conservativeness in his offense to compliment his defense.

That is what all the UF fans say, maybe it doesn't matter who the OC is.
if Roper is saving the playbook for the last game of the season rather than trying to win the division, then he probably need to go

Reactions: griffgolf
doubting our Gamecocks..and you want to be my latex salesman?

B-jgd-FCEAAsiRr.png

Reactions: Mister Fred
there is no excuse for the Clemons to lose to Syracuse...It wasn't an ambush...It was as ass whooping
true there is no excuse, but it happens every year...a top team get upset...or unexpectedly gets blown out...FCS teams beating a FBS. No matter the competition, it is tough for 18-19 year olds to play their best week in and week out and go undefeated for 12 games.

It will be closer than last year. That's all I can predict at this point. Last year, if they played their worst game and we played our best, we still wouldn't beat them. This year, if we play our best game and they play their worst (or 2nd worst), we can win. But I'm not holding my breath for that.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
if Roper is saving the playbook for the last game of the season rather than trying to win the division, then he probably need to go

By "he", I guess you mean Muschamp since you wouldn't hold Roper responsible if he was order to limit the playbook, would you? But why would you fire a coach who's 7-3?

I have watched every down of every Clemson game. We match up fine against them. Our big receivers will give them fits. Jake will have to sit in the pocket, bear down, and deliver good balls. We will have opportunities for big plays.

Reactions: jimnasium
56-7 last year. Our offense worse, our defense better. Playing at your house. Your team is better. Is it really that much better? 38-14 Tigers.

Oh yeah, we have 6 scholarship seniors. Probably lose a few juniors to the pros. Trevor Lawrence and X Thomas enroll in January. Face it, you will not beat Clemson as long as Dabo is there.
Yeah, cus only Clemson can improve.... smh

56-7 last year. Our offense worse, our defense better. Playing at your house. Your team is better. Is it really that much better? 38-14 Tigers.

Oh yeah, we have 6 scholarship seniors. Probably lose a few juniors to the pros. Trevor Lawrence and X Thomas enroll in January. Face it, you will not beat Clemson as long as Dabo is there.
I do not think they will score 38 points. Also a 24 point victory is unlikely. Some of the team may have moved on from that 49 point defeat last season but Coach Muschamp has not forgot what happened.

Think dabo is 4 and 5 against Carolina, interneting is hard isn’t it Einstein.

Last edited:
By "he", I guess you mean Muschamp since you wouldn't hold Roper responsible if he was order to limit the playbook, would you? But why would you fire a coach who's 7-3?
was referring to Roper...but either way, you don't hold back the playbook all season for the last game of the year.

The big question Carolina will have to answer is where are the points going to come from? South Carolina's offense currently ranks #106 in the country in total offense and #92 in scoring offense. By comparison, the Clemson offense who everyone seems to think is a handoff or Kelly Bryant run (in many ways it is) ranks #33 and #38 respectively.

The #106 offense will then be playing against the #8 team in total defense and #7 in scoring defense. Conversely, the #33 offense is playing the #53 team in total defense and #27 scoring defense.

Without a big special teams play or defensive touchdowns, I don't see Carolina scoring more than 14 points max against the Clemson defense. Clemson doesn't have the firepower to score 56 like they did last year, but the defense is still good enough to shut down most offenses if they bring their "A" game.

I see this game being a Clemson win with a final score somewhere in the 31-14 range.
Clemmy won't get 31 on Carolina in Williams-Brice....Tigger fans never cease to amaze me.
GO COCKS!

Syracuse, already carrying multiple losses going into that early-season game, did indeed ambush them. You're not going to tell me that UPC did not expect to handle them with relative ease. The whole country expected it.
Football teams don't get ambushed, they get beaten. Clemson got beaten.

Syracuse, already carrying multiple losses going into that early-season game, did indeed ambush them. You're not going to tell me that UPC did not expect to handle them with relative ease. The whole country expected it.

Absolutely correct, plus it was a Friday night game. Hell, I forgot it was even being played.....Clem was on snooze that game and their qb got hurt. Clem will have a completely different mindset for our game.

How about for a more comparable situation: 2015, playing at home your defense was better, your offense was better; our offense worse, our defense worse outcome was 37-32. By your logic: 42-5 Gamecocks, rough day for Clemson but the safety will make sports center highlights if that makes you feel better.

Reactions: USCRBCOCK
was referring to Roper...but either way, you don't hold back the playbook all season for the last game of the year.
I don't think the playbook has been held back but there is no doubt the staff has chosen to protect Bentley the entire season and allow him what, 4-5 keepers on the read option all season? We have to give the staff credit that Bentley has stayed healthy.

So if someone says, "open up the playbook" against Clem the only thing I think we might see different is more Bentley keepers in the read option. It will only take 3-4 Bentley keepers in the Clem game to make Roper's offense look like an average offense instead of a 100+ ranked offense. I hope we see it. I think it's the only chance we have to score more than 13 on Clem.

Reactions: DarkCock
I don't think the playbook has been held back but there is no doubt the staff has chosen to protect Bentley the entire season and allow him what, 4-5 keepers on the read option all season? We have to give the staff credit that Bentley has stayed healthy.

So if someone says, "open up the playbook" against Clem the only thing I think we might see different is more Bentley keepers in the read option. It will only take 3-4 Bentley keepers in the Clem game to make Roper's offense look like an average offense instead of a 100+ ranked offense. I hope we see it. I think it's the only chance we have to score more than 13 on Clem.

Agreed. Jake is not very big. I'm sure the coaching staff is worried about him taking hits with no proven backup quarterback. We were clearly not going to call his number against UGA, even though it worked for us the previous week against Vandy and it worked last week against Florida. I don't expect he'll run it against Wofford, unless we're in a desperate situation. However, like you suggest, it'll be on the table against Clemson.

How about for a more comparable situation: 2015, playing at home your defense was better, your offense was better; our offense worse, our defense worse outcome was 37-32. By your logic: 42-5 Gamecocks, rough day for Clemson but the safety will make sports center highlights if that makes you feel better.
Well, since you brought it up, yeah. The last time y'all came to WB, we came within a TD of flushing your playoff run down the crapper. And THAT was a 3-8 team whose coach had quit mid-season and had just lost to The Citadel. AND you still had Watson and, whatshisname (Boulware? Whatever). So that alone would make me feel ok about this game, especially after y'all getting pushed by State & FSU the past 2 weeks.

Well, since you brought it up, yeah. The last time y'all came to WB, we came within a TD of flushing your playoff run down the crapper. And THAT was a 3-8 team whose coach had quit mid-season and had just lost to The Citadel. AND you still had Watson and, whatshisname (Boulware? Whatever). So that alone would make me feel ok about this game, especially after y'all getting pushed by State & FSU the past 2 weeks.

Exactly. Playing at home in front of a crazy crowd is a huge advantage. If this were at Clemson I wouldn't think we have a shot. The only comparable environment for them this year was the VT game but WB will be louder and also VT was overrated.

I know they are the better overall team but we will win. A home game (most likely at night) and WB will be ridiculously loud and the players will be fired up. I don't think Clemson is as good as most people think either. I can't wait to knock them out of the playoff race. Carolina wins 27-23.

Sometimes I like to play pretend too. When you let your imagination take control anything is possible.

I think it will be a dog fight and in that situation I love our chances.

Agreed. Jake is not very big. I'm sure the coaching staff is worried about him taking hits with no proven backup quarterback. We were clearly not going to call his number against UGA, even though it worked for us the previous week against Vandy and it worked last week against Florida. I don't expect he'll run it against Wofford, unless we're in a desperate situation. However, like you suggest, it'll be on the table against Clemson.
They throw the kitchen sink at clemson. Jake is gonna run most def. Muschamp knows the fan base could care less about a bowl loss with no Jake than losing to Clemson without doing everything possible to win.

Did you feel like Clemson was ever actually in trouble that game? Anytime they needed to score, or change momentum, or take the crowd out of the game...they did. SC scored a cheap TD with a second on the clock to close the margin from 12 to 5, so no...not really within a TD of beating Clemson, since that would have required another possession. That was the same kind of lackadaisical effort Clemson took to Syracuse, NY this year. Sometimes, it bites you in the ass.

Reactions: Clemsonbo
Did you feel like Clemson was ever actually in trouble that game? Anytime they needed to score, or change momentum, or take the crowd out of the game...they did. SC scored a cheap TD with a second on the clock to close the margin from 12 to 5, so no...not really within a TD of beating Clemson, since that would have required another possession. That was the same kind of lackadaisical effort Clemson took to Syracuse, NY this year. Sometimes, it bites you in the ass.

Well tell your boys to bring it then.. Cause we are and you are not anywhere near the same team without Watson. F clemson

How do you ambush a top 3 ranked team? You just out play and out coach them that's not an ambush that's just preparation.
Some people evidently don't understand the concept of the ambush as it relates to athletic contests. The term ambush derives from the difference between what one expects to happen and what actually happens. UPC's expectation of a routine outing ending in decisive victory rather than being waylaid by a well-prepared and motivated opponent constituted an ambush from the UPC point of view.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT