ADVERTISEMENT

We are going to beat Clemson

Well tell your boys to bring it then.. Cause we are and you are not anywhere near the same team without Watson. F clemson
OK, I'll tell them. I'm pretty tight with them. You sound like you're pretty tight with the South Carolina team, as you're pretty in tune with the level at which they'll be bringing "it".

Some people evidently don't understand the concept of the ambush as it relates to athletic contests. The term ambush derives from the difference between what one expects to happen and what actually happens. UPC's expectation of a routine outing ending in decisive victory rather than being waylaid by a well-prepared and motivated opponent constituted an ambush from the UPC point of view.
An ambush is hiding behind rocks and surprising the good guys.

An ambush is hiding behind rocks and surprising the good guys.
Metaphorically, it need not be confined to the classically understood meaning. Even using the classical meaning, the people doing the ambushing and the people being ambushed can be either good or bad.

56-7 last year. Our offense worse, our defense better. Playing at your house. Your team is better. Is it really that much better? 38-14 Tigers.

Oh yeah, we have 6 scholarship seniors. Probably lose a few juniors to the pros. Trevor Lawrence and X Thomas enroll in January. Face it, you will not beat Clemson as long as Dabo is there.

Hey dufuss, we beat you 5 years in a row while Dumbo was there.

Reactions: lostcock
Metaphorically, it need not be confined to the classically understood meaning. Even using the classical meaning, the people doing the ambushing and the people being ambushed can be either good or bad.
King I can read man...lol. Ambush is catching some else off guard I know the meaning of "ambush"."A surprise attack by people lying in wait in a concealed position" No team gets ambushed they have the same week to prepare as the other team. It's not like they didn't know they had a game. It's preparation and a bigger want to win not jumping out from behind a bush and saying BOO.

56-7 last year. Our offense worse, our defense better. Playing at your house. Your team is better. Is it really that much better? 38-14 Tigers.

Oh yeah, we have 6 scholarship seniors. Probably lose a few juniors to the pros. Trevor Lawrence and X Thomas enroll in January. Face it, you will not beat Clemson as long as Dabo is there.
I will agree that we most likely lose to Clemson again this year. They have more experienced talent.To say we won't win while Dabo is there is crazy. USC beat Dabo 5 times in a row. Clemson is riding high now but the worm always turns....and it will turn again

King I can read man...lol. Ambush is catching some else off guard I know the meaning of "ambush"."A surprise attack by people lying in wait in a concealed position" No team gets ambushed they have the same week to prepare as the other team. It's not like they didn't know they had a game. It's preparation and a bigger want to win not jumping out from behind a bush and saying BOO.
People attacking from ambush simply open fire. They don't shout "Boo". UPC got ambushed by an inferior team by reason of their assumption that they themselves were superior. The term "ambush" is frequently used as a metaphor to describe sports upsets, of which this surely was one. There was never a more apt situation in which to use the term as a metaphor. That UPC was away from home in hostile territory only strengthens the usage.

People attacking from ambush simply open fire. They don't shout "Boo". UPC got ambushed by an inferior team by reason of their assumption that they themselves were superior. The term "ambush" is frequently used as a metaphor to describe sports upsets, of which this surely was one. There was never a more apt situation in which to use the term as a metaphor. That UPC was away from home in hostile territory only strengthens the usage.
Whateva...lol. Just beat Wofford and Clemson.

Reactions: king ward
It will be closer than last year. That's all I can predict at this point. Last year, if they played their worst game and we played our best, we still wouldn't beat them. This year, if we play our best game and they play their worst (or 2nd worst), we can win. But I'm not holding my breath for that.

Most logical post in this thread. I will echo these sentiments, but hope I’m wrong.

I see this being a very emotional game for the gamecocks because of what happened last year. I believe we will come out giving all we got in the first half. The key to beating Clemson is holding them to field goals. Also the key to beating Clemson is pressure Bryant. He is a very talented runner but if we give him space and time it will be a long night. I believe we will need to pressure Bryant and not be afraid to take risks such as throwing down the field. Overall I would say South Carolina is very capable of winning this game at home and I believe we will get it done 24-20 Cocks

I see this being a very emotional game for the gamecocks because of what happened last year. I believe we will come out giving all we got in the first half. The key to beating Clemson is holding them to field goals. Also the key to beating Clemson is pressure Bryant. He is a very talented runner but if we give him space and time it will be a long night. I believe we will need to pressure Bryant and not be afraid to take risks such as throwing down the field. Overall I would say South Carolina is very capable of winning this game at home and I believe we will get it done 24-20 Cocks

Let’s hope it doesn’t come down to us needing to make a field goal to win.

Does their kicker has issues with field goal accuracy? I thought he missed a few against Syracuse.

The big question Carolina will have to answer is where are the points going to come from? South Carolina's offense currently ranks #106 in the country in total offense and #92 in scoring offense. By comparison, the Clemson offense who everyone seems to think is a handoff or Kelly Bryant run (in many ways it is) ranks #33 and #38 respectively.

The #106 offense will then be playing against the #8 team in total defense and #7 in scoring defense. Conversely, the #33 offense is playing the #53 team in total defense and #27 scoring defense.

Without a big special teams play or defensive touchdowns, I don't see Carolina scoring more than 14 points max against the Clemson defense. Clemson doesn't have the firepower to score 56 like they did last year, but the defense is still good enough to shut down most offenses if they bring their "A" game.

I see this game being a Clemson win with a final score somewhere in the 31-14 range.

Sure you do.

giphy.gif

Face it We already beat Dabo 5 times dumb azz

First 2 series forget whistle and tackle their QB. Set da tone

Some truth to this (though I'm not suggesting an actual penalty). We are just the 1st in 4 games that Clemson has to win and Kelly Bryant is injury prone. We need to discourage him from running. Or least encourage him to slide and not make big plays with his legs. Florida's QB tried to be a hero last Saturday and they lost him for the game.

Reactions: USCRBCOCK
This year Clempson isn't that much better than us; if even better at all.
When we are healthy we are unquestionably better. By miles. We are not healthy and in the worst possible place against you: the secondary. Two of our top four CBs have been out most of the year and a third got a concussion Saturday. If we don't generate a pass rush like we saw against Auburn we are in trouble.

When we are healthy we are unquestionably better. By miles. We are not healthy and in the worst possible place against you: the secondary. Two of our top four CBs have been out most of the year and a third got a concussion Saturday. If we don't generate a pass rush like we saw against Auburn we are in trouble.
And you think Cocks are healthy?? Lost the most dynamic player on the Team, Possible could have been the most dynamic player in SEC, Lost one of our best Defensive players, The OL has been a Roulette wheel, No team is healthy right now..

No
And you think Cocks are healthy?? Lost the most dynamic player on the Team, Possible could have been the most dynamic player in SEC, Lost one of our best Defensive players, The OL has been a Roulette wheel, No team is healthy right now..
Not what I said. I said we are most unhealthy at the worst spot for us against you. You throw the ball well. You've had receivers step up in Samuel's absence. We are down to playing a WR both ways - and at CB no less - to have warm bodies in the secondary. If we were playing GT that'd be fine. It's not good against you.

No

Not what I said. I said we are most unhealthy at the worst spot for us against you. You throw the ball well. You've had receivers step up in Samuel's absence. We are down to playing a WR both ways - and at CB no less - to have warm bodies in the secondary. If we were playing GT that'd be fine. It's not good against you.
Hope you're right. We do have a lot of talent at WR, but lately the scout team nose guard could defend our receivers the way Jake has been throwing.

Reactions: joplin gamecock1
Agreed. Jake is not very big. I'm sure the coaching staff is worried about him taking hits with no proven backup quarterback. We were clearly not going to call his number against UGA, even though it worked for us the previous week against Vandy and it worked last week against Florida. I don't expect he'll run it against Wofford, unless we're in a desperate situation. However, like you suggest, it'll be on the table against Clemson.
What do you consider big?

Did you feel like Clemson was ever actually in trouble that game? Anytime they needed to score, or change momentum, or take the crowd out of the game...they did. SC scored a cheap TD with a second on the clock to close the margin from 12 to 5, so no...not really within a TD of beating Clemson, since that would have required another possession. That was the same kind of lackadaisical effort Clemson took to Syracuse, NY this year. Sometimes, it bites you in the ass.

Lackadaisical effort? Dabo said it was one of the best games Watson played all year. No interceptions, he rushed for over a hundred yards. You guys intercepted a pass at your 4 yard line that eliminated sure points. Add to that you scored a touchdown from 30 yards out the play after Artavis Scott fumbles and the ACC refs overturned the call. You need to get in politics, that convoluted logic to try to turn the final margin back into a 12 point deficit is classic.

Lackadaisical effort? Dabo said it was one of the best games Watson played all year. No interceptions, he rushed for over a hundred yards. You guys intercepted a pass at your 4 yard line that eliminated sure points. Add to that you scored a touchdown from 30 yards out the play after Artavis Scott fumbles and the ACC refs overturned the call. You need to get in politics, that convoluted logic to try to turn the final margin back into a 12 point deficit is classic.

well it is the same "convoluted logic" SC fans used about CU v. Bama in the 2016 CFP title game...that CU actually lost by more than 4 pts because they scored a TD in the final seconds to make the game look closer than it appeared.

Reactions: griffgolf
I hate to put all the pressure on one kid, but he did tweet "Never again," so Jake seems to have accepted the challenge. The game is about him. Clemson's defense is bonkers: they let receivers run wide open all the time. But what can you say? It works, a lot. However, in their last 3 losses, against Syracuse, Pitt, Bama, they gave up big plays in the passing game. Jake's going to get some opportunities and he's going to have to connect because we're not going to be able to run the ball consistently against them.
3 losses in 3 years. Not bad!!!

Reactions: griffgolf
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT