ADVERTISEMENT

Who, if anyone, will Beamer retain?

kotr

Gold Member
Dec 1, 2019
Now that we know Beamer is the new coach, let's try to focus on some topics that deal with his path to success.

Do you think any of the current staff will be retained? If so, what roles do you think they will have under Beamer?

I will be really surprised if Shaw isn't on staff moving forward. He has an undeniable passion for his alma mater that I feel will appeal to Beamer. I just don't know what his role would be since there's a good chance the new OC will also coach the QBs.

I HOPE Kitchings will stay on as RB coach. What his group did in this terrible season was nothing short of remarkable. Obviously, Harris was the focus, but I thought all the RBs did well. And the group did this without the supposed star of Lloyd.

Great question for discussion.. Finally.....

I agree with both Shaw and Kitchings. The RBs really impressed me this year.

I hate if for Wilson (LB coach) because he really didn't get a fair year with injuries, covid, and everything. But I believe all defensive coaches must go.....

Maybe Bentley??

Outside of those three, we have to move on from the rest..... And if the new coach removes them all, then so be it...

I think at least half of the staff will stay. Including Bobo and maybe TRob. If he let TRob go and hired Derek Mason as DC I'd feel a whole lot better.

Retain:
Bobo
Shaw
Cox
Bentley
Kitchings

Not retained:
Wolford
TRob
Rocker
Krantz
Peterson
Wilson

I think at least half of the staff will stay. Including Bobo and maybe TRob. If he let TRob go and hired Derek Mason as DC I'd feel a whole lot better.

Retain:
Bobo
Shaw
Cox
Bentley
Kitchings

Not retained:
Wolford
TRob
Rocker
Krantz
Peterson
Wilson

IMO If we keep anybody besides Bentley and Shaw, then the hiring of Beamer was pointless.

You know Shane’s gonna keep the ones with contracts because Tanner doesn’t want to pay them as well and cut em lose like Muschamp.
Yeah, they'll try to claw back a few bucks by retaining BoBo and maybe a couple of others.

This. Based on what I saw this season only the most loyal of Gamecocks (Shaw) and a guy with local connections (Bentley) should stay. Everything else should be already packed up and moved out.

I would bet that we keep everybody and just have Beamer as the new HC and then we are told change has really happened

Is Bentley an option for OC?
I dont know as much about his storied HS past as I should, but feel like he had a system.
I'm not saying its what I'd want...but seems like his natural progression

Reactions: Brace1 and bmull08
Kitchens is #1 priority to retain
Bobo for his recruiting out of this state and someone Beamer can lean on with HC experience.
Shaw gets a chance to help on the staff and takes over the instate recruting in Bentleys place

I know people will say keep Bentley because of his instate recruting strengths, but our state isn't a hot bed for recruting we need to look out of state alot harder. There just isn't enough talent in this state to build a program on. There is only 3 4* players in the 2021 class and none are going to usc or Clemson

IMO If we keep anybody besides Bentley and Shaw, then the hiring of Beamer was pointless.

I agree. Don't know why one poster wants to keep TRob. He's a disaster. Might as well rehire Ward.

I like Bobo but want a fresh face-Garrett.

Hope Shaw is retained as QB coach.

With all the contacts Shane has he has to know a slam dunk for DC.

Yeah, they'll try to claw back a few bucks by retaining BoBo and maybe a couple of others.

RT sure wasn't cheap with handing out millions in underserved buyouts. Sure hope he continues that generous string for a top of the line Beamer staff.

I’d like to see Shaw, and Bentley retained. I think people are giving kitchings too much credit, the rbs did well with Bobo’s offense. I think if bobo is retained, there needs to be a huge emphasis on bringing in WRs this recruiting class, but I’m fine with a total offensive philosophy as well. Someone like Briles or Riley may be exactly what we need. Defensively, they all need to go, and I’d love to see Lawing coaching the dline again

Reactions: bmull08 and Brace1
Now that we know Beamer is the new coach, let's try to focus on some topics that deal with his path to success.

Do you think any of the current staff will be retained? If so, what roles do you think they will have under Beamer?

I will be really surprised if Shaw isn't on staff moving forward. He has an undeniable passion for his alma mater that I feel will appeal to Beamer. I just don't know what his role would be since there's a good chance the new OC will also coach the QBs.

I HOPE Kitchings will stay on as RB coach. What his group did in this terrible season was nothing short of remarkable. Obviously, Harris was the focus, but I thought all the RBs did well. And the group did this without the supposed star of Lloyd.
I like Shaw and Kitchings as well. We don’t want to retain much of this staff but a few names for continuity who have done well and fir the plan... Would be fine.

Reactions: The Gadfly
Great question for discussion.. Finally.....

I agree with both Shaw and Kitchings. The RBs really impressed me this year.

I hate if for Wilson (LB coach) because he really didn't get a fair year with injuries, covid, and everything. But I believe all defensive coaches must go.....

Maybe Bentley??

Outside of those three, we have to move on from the rest..... And if the new coach removes them all, then so be it...
I hadn't thought about Bentley. Are you thinking to stay as TE coach? I know Muse said he would definitely come back if Bentley was still here.

How would you feel about Bentley as the OC? He is known for having an strong offensive mind, but I'm not actually familiar with his system.

Reactions: Brace1
Shaw is key as he is connected to Gunner Stockton, won 21 home games and cans state “I won in Columbia”.

other than that I’m sure Beamer has been on the phone Building his staff. Unlike some earlier replies I believe who he would hire was a key part of the hiring process.

Kitchens is #1 priority to retain
Bobo for his recruiting out of this state and someone Beamer can lean on with HC experience.
Shaw gets a chance to help on the staff and takes over the instate recruting in Bentleys place

I know people will say keep Bentley because of his instate recruting strengths, but our state isn't a hot bed for recruting we need to look out of state alot harder. There just isn't enough talent in this state to build a program on. There is only 3 4* players in the 2021 class and none are going to usc or Clemson

Bentley not only has instate connections, but has been our best overall recruiter out of state.

I think Beamer might keep a couple of guys on staff for continuity, might be Bentley, Wilson, and Kitchings.

Bobo might wind up staying in some capacity, not sure if he’d be on staff.

Heard that Garrett Riley will come in as OC and Bud Foster as DC. I'd be fine with both. Foster's defense in his last season (last year) was 4th in the ACC. Riley's offense at SMU is 12th in yards per game. It's not all passing as SMU has rushed for a respectable average of 167.2 yards per game.

Heard that Garrett Riley will come in as OC and Bud Foster as DC. I'd be fine with both. Foster's defense in his last season (last year) was 4th in the ACC. Riley's offense at SMU is 12th in yards per game. It's not all passing as SMU has rushed for a respectable average of 167.2 yards per game.
I don't want Foster at all. He is highly unappealing. He is the epitome of a has-been.

I know some people love the idea of an "air-raid" offense, but that often discourages truly big-time RBs to dismiss the idea of going to a school. Those types of guys need to know they're going to be one of the true focal points on offense.

At the same time, I don't want a system that is simply ground and pound. That keeps top-flight QBs and WRs from wanting to come in.

Basically, I fell like we need someone who is going to have a truly balanced system but is smart enough to know when to use more run or pass depending on the tone of the game.

It always bothered me that we blew, I think, three games with double-digit leads in the 4th quarter in Spurrier's penultimate season. I'm not completely sure, but I know there was at least one if not two games in which Spurrier inexplicably started passing even though the run was almost unstoppable.

I hadn't thought about Bentley. Are you thinking to stay as TE coach? I know Muse said he would definitely come back if Bentley was still here.

How would you feel about Bentley as the OC? He is known for having an strong offensive mind, but I'm not actually familiar with his system.

I would rather have someone else for OC... Im not really sure on Bentley, but "hearsay" says he is an excellent recruiter, and always has had a good connection with the players. Two things that are important for sure

I don't want Foster at all. He is highly unappealing. He is the epitome of a has-been.

I know some people love the idea of an "air-raid" offense, but that often discourages truly big-time RBs to dismiss the idea of going to a school. Those types of guys need to know they're going to be one of the true focal points on offense.

At the same time, I don't want a system that is simply ground and pound. That keeps top-flight QBs and WRs from wanting to come in.

Basically, I fell like we need someone who is going to have a truly balanced system but is smart enough to know when to use more run or pass depending on the tone of the game.

It always bothered me that we blew, I think, three games with double-digit leads in the 4th quarter in Spurrier's penultimate season. I'm not completely sure, but I know there was at least one if not two games in which Spurrier inexplicably started passing even though the run was almost unstoppable.
Look at Fosters record and tell me he's a has been....consistency over a long period of time. Give me a break.

Hopefully Beamer is given full freedom to make the staff what he wants. He’s been raising his profile for a few years now, and I’m sure he already has laid the ground work for the staff he wants. If he’s required to retain some of these guys, this is already starting off as a disaster.

The fascination with Bentley is interesting. He’s been an offensive coach for 5 years on a team that has been objectively awful on offense over that period. Perhaps it’s not quite fair to say because he was never the OC, but retaining him does not seem necessary.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Foster i doubt comes fully out retirement, maybe as a analyst's
But I see some guys like foster and others stepping in to help to make sure Shane has every advantage he can have

Reactions: TN-Gamecock
Look at Fosters record and tell me he's a has been....consistency over a long period of time. Give me a break.
He's 61 tears old. I'm hoping we can have a cohesive staff that will be around for a long time. Given his age, it seems unlikely he would stick around for an extended time. That's what I meant. I could be wrong though.

I would like young, hungry guys. Keep Shaw and the RB coach. Bobo needs to go. His offense is old school. We need someone to bring energy .

Hopefully Beamer is given full freedom to make the staff what he wants. He’s been raising his profile for a few years now, and I’m sure he already has laid the ground work for the staff he wants. If he’s required to retain some of these guys, this is already starting off as a disaster.

The fascination with Bentley is interesting. He’s been an offensive coach for 5 years on a team that has been objectively awful on offense over that period. Perhaps it’s not quite fair to say because he was never the OC, but retaining him does not seem necessary.
After considering the possibility, I did just a tiny bit of reading. His offenses at PC when he was the HC there apparently set lots of records. I just remember a lot of folks saying how innovative he was/is.

Retain:
Bobo
Shaw
Cox
Bentley
Kitchings

Not retained:
Wolford
TRob
Rocker
Krantz
Peterson
Wilson
I’m good with this list. If I were to make one change it would be to 86 Cox. I feel like a stud WR coach would have gotten some production out of the young WRs we have not named Shi. We had NO ONE step up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT