ADVERTISEMENT

Why are all of you on here Calling for Jake Bently ?

I'm pretty sure that Bmac is an early enrollee, true freshman QB that started at a major school. One of the reasons he was ahead of Jake is because he had more time in the program by being an early enrollee. Now Jake has had time in the program.

From what I have read on here, Jake is actually older than Bmac. And that the reason he just finished his junior year, is because his dad held him back a year. In essence, redshirting him to gain more experience. So, he could have just as much experience as Bmac. And it doesn't hurt that he's a coaches son.

As far as his ranking goes, i'm pretty sure, he was highly ranked. I'm not sure if underclassmen are ranked in the top 300. But had he stayed for his senior year, he may very well have been ranked in the top 100.

What I meant by an early enrollee is that he had another year of high school eligibility which Bmac did not . Was not aware of the fact that Bentley was held back purposely which is another topic in its self . I'm sure that if he would have played out his senior year he would have been in the top 100 easily . He certainly looks the part but a lot of guys do until they hit the field . From what I hear both Bentley and Bmac are super intelligent kids with all the intangibles so it should be interesting to watch them battle it out . I think Champ learned his lesson at Florida putting all his eggs in the Jeff Driskell basket . Nothing wrong with having two highly touted guys fight it out for the job .

Reactions: brianlafe
I'm pretty sure that Bmac is an early enrollee, true freshman QB that started at a major school. One of the reasons he was ahead of Jake is because he had more time in the program by being an early enrollee. Now Jake has had time in the program.

From what I have read on here, Jake is actually older than Bmac. And that the reason he just finished his junior year, is because his dad held him back a year. In essence, redshirting him to gain more experience. So, he could have just as much experience as Bmac. And it doesn't hurt that he's a coaches son.

As far as his ranking goes, i'm pretty sure, he was highly ranked. I'm not sure if underclassmen are ranked in the top 300. But had he stayed for his senior year, he may very well have been ranked in the top 100.

What I meant by an early enrollee is that he had another year of high school eligibility which Bmac did not . Was not aware of the fact that Bentley was held back purposely which is another topic in its self . I'm sure that if he would have played out his senior year he would have been in the top 100 easily . He certainly looks the part but a lot of guys do until they hit the field . From what I hear both Bentley and Bmac are super intelligent kids with all the intangibles so it should be interesting to watch them battle it out . I think Champ learned his lesson at Florida putting all his eggs in the Jeff Driskell basket . Nothing wrong with having two highly touted guys fight it out for the job .

My opinion is that Bentley is just not ready . I think if he was really head and shoulders above the other guys then he would have started week 1 . Let's not forget Bentley is not just a true freshman , he is an early enrolled true freshman who in all honesty should be playing high school ball right now . I would need to research more but I can't ever remember an early enrolled true freshman QB ever starting at a major school . The closest I remember was Matt Barkley at USC and he was the #1 rated recruit in America . Not many kids at any position can make the jump from their junior season in high school to starting in the SEC much less at QB . Also I'm sure that Bentley is a talented kid but he was by no means a top 100 recruit so to talk about him as if he is the great savior of the program is WAY premature . If I can recall Connor Mitch, Bmac and Garcia especially were rated much higher than Jake coming out of HS. The bottom line is we could put Joe Montana back there right now and still not win so why throw him in now and destroy any confidence he might have .

What if he wasn't ready then but is now?

If the kid is ready and gives us the best chance to win games, play him. That's why he is here.

Everyone talking about redshirting him to put separation between him and McIlwain, just doesn't make sense to me. That seems to be based on the assumption we are not going to recruit any good QBs in the next 3-4 years.

This Kid is Red Shirted. There is no point in playing him this season. We all have to remember the mess spurrier and his crew left us in when they decided to stop recruiting three years ago. Meaning we are gonna take a lot of lumps and its going to be a while before we are competitive again. Also can you please give it a rest about Kurt Roper. The scheme and calls are all right. You need to get out your SABAN quotes on this one. It isnt talent nor ability that makes an offense great . It is the execution with witch they play . Our Kids are not executing the offense . I believe with time they will. I believe in Kurt Roper . We dont need the ney say crew on this site . We need some all in types who believe in BOOM and what it is we are trying to accomplish this year. Trust me when I say it sucks big ones to have to return to the bottom of the sec and take your knocks again after doing it for so long , It hurts and its shameful when CU is doing so well, That being said , I still believe we are going in the right direction with the staff we have now.
If he was all that ...We would have seen him already! Just the facts folks! We are 2-3 years from being back to 2005-06 teams..

Reactions: LazyIslander
What if he wasn't ready then but is now?

If the kid is ready and gives us the best chance to win games, play him. That's why he is here.

Everyone talking about redshirting him to put separation between him and McIlwain, just doesn't make sense to me. That seems to be based on the assumption we are not going to recruit any good QBs in the next 3-4 years.
Very true! Something everyone seems to be forgetting - Like JB is our LAST shot at ever having someone at the position - LOL! There will be more QBs come in - hopefully some talented ones!

Reactions: cockyferg
If Bentley was one of the 2 best QBs on the team, he would have played by now. There seems to an assumption that the coaches would purposely leave one of the best players on the sidelines. This just isn't how it works.
The offensive problems run much deeper than who is playing QB.

If Bentley was one of the 2 best QBs on the team, he would have played by now. There seems to an assumption that the coaches would purposely leave one of the best players on the sidelines. This just isn't how it works.
The offensive problems run much deeper than who is playing QB.

Bentley didn't have the advantage of summer practice like McIlwain or game day experience like Orth. Not sure why that is treated like a knock on his ability or talent.

I agree our offensive problems are deeper than the QB position but a deep threat will help with some of those other issues. McIlwain can throw deep but more often than not, over throws the receiver. Seems like he needs some help with his mechanics in the offseason. Orth doesn't seem to have the arm strength. When he does go deep, it's usually a jump ball. He also seems to throw low and behind.

IMHO, if a coach leaves a player on the sideline, who's ready to play and can help win games, he should be fired. I have no problem if the coach doesn't think he's ready, e.g., hasn't adjusted to college speed, hasn't mastered the playbook yet, needs to put on weight, etc. That doesn't mean he can't/won't be ready later.

Reactions: mbsurfside
Most folks are saying he will only be here 3 years. So does this mean we only get 2 years of playing time if he remains red-shirted this year? I have seen other players red-shirt year 1 then play 2 years and move on to the NFL.

Most folks are saying he will only be here 3 years. So does this mean we only get 2 years of playing time if he remains red-shirted this year? I have seen other players red-shirt year 1 then play 2 years and move on to the NFL.
Don't really see him being a 3 and done guy . Only the super Elite NFL prototype guys (think Andrew luck ) kinda guys are 3 and done. Very few QB's are even drafted into the league right now, even fewer that go as Redshirt Sophs. And to answer the question if we do redshirt him he can leave after his sophomore year . If I recall Sidney Rice did this . It is extremely rare but can happen .

Thanks b webb,
I appreciate your comments. Why in the h will you take Bently off of red shirt. it's the lack of b blocking want change the quarterback issues. No matter. We need to continue working with Brandon and start working with Bently next year.
Yeah working with Bentley next year and we will be doing the same thing as this year. Give him a chance and lets see what happens. Remember when Taneyhill came in half way through the season? We burnt BMAC's redshirt, burnt Nunez's last year so what's the big deal. That is what recruiting is for. For the first time ever ,Alabama is playing a true freshman QB..

Jake Bentley was ranked by ESPN as the 2nd best QB in his junior class and 33rd player in the ESPN Junior 300. Bentley is an extremely talented player.....probably the best QB recruit we've landed this century. Definitely our highest ranked recruit since Clowney. To imply that he's just some regular old 4-star is a disservice to the guy. That doesn't mean he's going to be a superstar out of the gate (or even at all), but I'm at least glad it seems like Muschamp is giving him reps. That's all we can ask for....just give the guy a chance in practice. If he doesn't make strides and doesn't look any better than the other guys in practice, then we definitely should not waste the red-shirt. However to hold him out just for the sake of keeping the red-shirt is short sighted. Finishing strong, especially on offense since that is Muschamp's supposed weak point, will help us tremendously in recruiting.

Reactions: GamecockJL
This Kid is Red Shirted. There is no point in playing him this season. We all have to remember the mess spurrier and his crew left us in when they decided to stop recruiting three years ago. Meaning we are gonna take a lot of lumps and its going to be a while before we are competitive again. Also can you please give it a rest about Kurt Roper. The scheme and calls are all right. You need to get out your SABAN quotes on this one. It isnt talent nor ability that makes an offense great . It is the execution with witch they play . Our Kids are not executing the offense . I believe with time they will. I believe in Kurt Roper . We dont need the ney say crew on this site . We need some all in types who believe in BOOM and what it is we are trying to accomplish this year. Trust me when I say it sucks big ones to have to return to the bottom of the sec and take your knocks again after doing it for so long , It hurts and its shameful when CU is doing so well, That being said , I still believe we are going in the right direction with the staff we have now.
Where have you been? Offense cannot get to the goal line, averaging only 14 pts. per game.

Reactions: GamecockJL
The big issue is the oline. Dont care what qb or rb we have right now they wont do any better with our oline. That oline is horrible. Maybe the worst oline ive ever seen in college football. We should be recruiting 5 or 6 offensive linemen in this class. You lose the battle at the line and have our offense.

Bentley didn't have the advantage of summer practice like McIlwain or game day experience like Orth. Not sure why that is treated like a knock on his ability or talent.

No knock on his ability. Those are just the facts. And those facts have made him 3rd best so far.

I have no problem if the coach doesn't think he's ready, e.g., hasn't adjusted to college speed, hasn't mastered the playbook yet, needs to put on weight, etc. That doesn't mean he can't/won't be ready later.

Exactly

So what happens when we burn his redshirt and all of you experts see that Bentley has the exact same results as the other two qb's? Anyone else y'all want to throw in to the qb mix? Hurst maybe? ITS NOT THE QUARTERBACK! ITS THE SORRY OFFENSIVE LINE AND NO RUNNING GAME!

So what happens if we burn his redshirt and you expert doubters see he wins 4 games, gets us to a bowl with extra practices for the whole team, gets 6 games of experience under his belt, and is in great position to start the season next year as "the man". Dude, chill. You know people can have a difference of opinion and still support the same cause. We all want the best for the program, but maybe we see different ways to do it. Don't condemn those that have a different opinion of yours....

OL sucks, I totally agree. The one thing they do half way decent is pass block. So maybe if we have a QB who can make the throws and defenses have to prepare for that more than usual, the running game may open up some. Just a thought.... Im not an expert!!!

My thoughts exactly. It is now or never for him. If you are going to burn the RS you do it with a bye week and against UMass. If they decide not to, okay. I'm just more open to it, and would suggest it, than I once was.
I agree, give the boy a chance. We burnt BMAC's RS, last year we burnt Nunez's RS and this year Alabama is playing a true freshman QB also. So what if we burn his RS, that is why you recruit every year. Does anybody remember when the team was gonna quit on Sparky Woods and he put in Taneyhill and changed the outcome of the season. It may or may not work but we need to try something different.

Reactions: cockyferg
Actually the whole why now and not before, if it is now, has a legitimate reason if you think about it.

If he starts or plays at UMASS, perhaps the staff also knows the O Line is shaky and was waiting for Camper and Stanley to return.

Just a thought

Taneyhill played as a freshman 6 games into the season. We were 0 and 5.

Good thought but Tanneyhill played in the Arkansas, game 2 the 45-7 game, threw a pick that was game 2.

He started game 6, home vs Miss State, he played in 9 games in 1992

His redshirt was not lifted game 6

Reactions: RickyRooster
Heard on the radio on the way home from work that Bentley was taking 1st team snaps at practice this week and all signs of him starting next week....maybe they wanted to give him reps this week to see how it goes and if he don't look good they can always go back to orth or b mac....

Taneyhill played as a freshman 6 games into the season. We were 0 and 5.
He turned everything around for our football program and gave us hope. We need that. Maybe JB has progressed enough now, he has all the tools.

Clearly there are many here that know more about football than I do...., but are we suggesting that you don't start the guy that; Practices the hardest, Studies the Playbook the most and gives the most effort?? Mind you these guys aren't getting paid. So, we tell players that if you sacrifice all, you may ride the bench just in case a Frosh might kind of sorta be better than you in the somewhat possible near future!! Maybe I'm just from the Rick Flair school of thought, but you better beat me if you want my job...

Well, I like to see Jake get some playing time this year because next year if BM goes down, we won't have a back up QB ready to go...

For the last 4 years, we haven't been using the back up QB in mop up roles and we're paying the price...

We should go with a 3 QB system... Keep the defense guessing...

In my opinion, Bentley should retain his redshirt for the remainder of the season. If he is as dynamic as everyone thinks, he should have been starting at the beginning of the season and listed as the first backup. I do not think that that we have played that horrible at the quarterback position that would warrant Bentley losing his redshirt. Our offensive line has not shown that they can run block which hinders MC's ability to run and Orth has not shown what we call escape-ability or the ability to extend a third down play. Our better receivers have not been available each game of the season. We knew coming into the season that this was going to be a building process, so why make a haste decision to play Bentley.

Don't really see him being a 3 and done guy . Only the super Elite NFL prototype guys (think Andrew luck ) kinda guys are 3 and done. Very few QB's are even drafted into the league right now, even fewer that go as Redshirt Sophs. And to answer the question if we do redshirt him he can leave after his sophomore year . If I recall Sidney Rice did this . It is extremely rare but can happen .
JFTR, Luck stayed all 4 years. COULD HAVE gone after his Jr year but decided to stay. Not primary to your point, just thought it was funny he was your example! lol

Bentley needs to play this year. Not saying that he will turn our offense around, run blocking and youth at almost every skill position are the biggest issues . Only saying that it can't be any worse than it already is and if it is going to be any better next year, we need the guys that will battle for the starting qb job next year to get as much experience as possible this year. This is probably the youngest offensive team we've ever had and even the veterans are learning a new system and coach. Now is the time for competition between Bentley and Mcllwain are the future. Even with orth throwing for 288yds, we only managed 14pts because we are young and inconsistent. When are you going to have a better chance to evaluate who is going to lead your offense next year?

Last edited:
Bentley needs to play this year. Not saying that he will turn our offense around, run blocking and youth at almost every skill position are the biggest issues . Only saying that it can't be any worse than it already is and if it is going to be any better next year, we need the guys that will battle for the starting qb job next year to get as much experience as possible this year. This is probably the youngest offensive team we've ever had and even the veterans are learning a new system and coach. Now is the time for competition between Bentley and Mcllwain are the future. Even with orth throwing for 288yds, we only managed 14pts because we are young and inconsistent. When are you going to have a better chance to evaluate who is going to lead your offense next year?

You know....I'm coming around to this point. Did anyone watch Florida's defense yesterday? Good lawd almighty! We'll be fortunate to score in double digits against them -- and Clemson -- on Orth's best day. So if we know how this movie is going to end, why not just let the young guys get experience for next season?

Because I'd rather go into next season with an experienced QB, than a green one. Initially, I saw things your way. Why waste the RS on a dumpster fire season? But then I saw the light. Yes, brother, I've seen the light. Play Bentley now and get him adjusted to the speed of the college game. Makes sense to me now.

Actually the whole why now and not before, if it is now, has a legitimate reason if you think about it.

If he starts or plays at UMASS, perhaps the staff also knows the O Line is shaky and was waiting for Camper and Stanley to return.

Just a thought

I think this is an overlooked thought on this board. Our o line had been pretty bad, but we haven't exactly had a full complement of o linemen. Some guys have played nearly every offensive snap, which probably isn't normal. Without competition for positions, side of the o linemen may have lost some edge. Perhaps getting some players back would help. It might give Bentley a shot if they do decide to play him.

We need Jake Bentley to play just to keep us mildly relavent. He throws the best deep ball on the team, we need someone who can push the ball down the field to open up the run game. Perry doesn't have the arm strength, and Brandon doesn't have the accuracy. Teams load the box against us and dare us to throw it, it's only logical to put our best passing talent in the game considering we're only averaging 14 points a game which is dead last in the NCAA....

Check the stats...
https://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/totalYards

Last edited:
It's early enough in the season where he could very well end up fielding more snaps than any QB we have played this year. And it's possible he could be going in to next year as the most experienced QB we have. That's hardly a waste.
Good point

Stated another way, the offensive problems will continue regardless of who is playing QB.
They have shown an ability to pass block at times inserting Bentley makes sense now. We don't have any other options staying pat will not get results that has already been proven.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT