ADVERTISEMENT

Why are all of you on here Calling for Jake Bently ?

It's easy to say play Jake now, but in 3 more years his eligibility will be coming to an end. How many times have you thought "man I wish this guy or that guy had another year".

If he plays now, I've got a feeling there will be a lot of people saying this.

If he were the best, I think he would be playing now. Even if he does play, with our lack of blocking there's a good chance it want be the good experience some of you guys are expecting. It will be some very tough sledding regardless of whoever we put back there.

He's a true freshman not a miracle worker.

Reactions: cockyferg
It's easy to say play Jake now, but in 3 more years his eligibility will be coming to an end. How many times have you thought "man I wish this guy or that guy had another year".

If he were the best, I think he would be playing now. Even if he does play, with our lack of blocking there's a good chance it want be the good experience some of you guys are expecting. It will be some very tough sledding regardless of whoever we put back there.

Do we really need a miracle worker to get us out of last place in scoring offense? We just need someone who can push the ball down field, and Bentley can do that.

Do we really need a miracle worker to get us out of last place in scoring offense? We just need someone who can push the ball down field, and Bentley can do that.
How do we know Bentley can do that? Because of his 7 on 7 drills? Or practice against a vanilla defense? IIRC BMac outperformed all in 7 on 7s and in the scrimmages. Facing live bullets and a defense that is trying to confuse you is totally different.

Not saying that Bentley can't, but what he's shown thus far is no better than what BMac did.

I agree completely that Spurrier left us in a huge mess. I also agree that after 6 games - heck after one whole season - is too soon to be passing judgement on Roper and/or Muschamp. They've inherited a huge mess that will not be rectified overnight.

However, I do somewhat disagree about Bentley. Here's why; Seeing what we have at QB through 6 games, I'm becoming more convinced that Bentley needs live reps - not in practice, against predictable friendlies - in order to be better prepared for next season. What I'm seeing from BMac doesn't give me hope for next year. I believe that it's entirely possible that JB beats him out for the position next year (I sincerely HOPE we have better QB play next year from SOMEONE!). If that happens, we are in basically the same scenario as we are right now with QB play - more on-the-job-training. Ain't nobody got time fo that anymore! I don't want to do this again next season.

Does the RS stay on Bentley? Maybe so, and if so, then so be it. However, if lifting it and getting him experience that pays off next year is something the coaches think is beneficial, then lets go! Ultimately (and obviously - duh) it's their decision - and I'd be willing to bet they are/will/ or have already talked with Jake about it. UMass would be the best scenario to do it, IF they're going to do it, IMO.
Good points.
I think JB needs live reps if he's going to possibly help us next year. Only person now that can be an answer next year is B-Mac, and his jury is really still out there.
We probably won't sign or get interest from 1 single recruit by playing Orth and winning 1 or 2 more games in a season where you win 4 or 5 games. So give it a full go with the 2 potential guys you have on your team.

Whoever it is they need a QB that can throw on time while making an accurate throw. This would include being able to throw the deep ball. In my opinion, Orth has problems with accuracy, the deep ball and throwing a bunch of balls OB while having open receivers. Mcilwain hold onto the ball, instead of making a clean throw takes off runnning and the throw is usually way off. Of course there is a problem with the OL. Bentley will probably be here only 3 years, so you better use him while you can.

Reactions: Tiger71
JFTR, Luck stayed all 4 years. COULD HAVE gone after his Jr year but decided to stay. Not primary to your point, just thought it was funny he was your example! lol

Your absolutely right !! Funny if he would have come out his Jr year then the he would probably be the Panthers QB and Cam would be in Indy .

This Kid is Red Shirted. There is no point in playing him this season. We all have to remember the mess spurrier and his crew left us in when they decided to stop recruiting three years ago. Meaning we are gonna take a lot of lumps and its going to be a while before we are competitive again. Also can you please give it a rest about Kurt Roper. The scheme and calls are all right. You need to get out your SABAN quotes on this one. It isnt talent nor ability that makes an offense great . It is the execution with witch they play . Our Kids are not executing the offense . I believe with time they will. I believe in Kurt Roper . We dont need the ney say crew on this site . We need some all in types who believe in BOOM and what it is we are trying to accomplish this year. Trust me when I say it sucks big ones to have to return to the bottom of the sec and take your knocks again after doing it for so long , It hurts and its shameful when CU is doing so well, That being said , I still believe we are going in the right direction with the staff we have now.
Not reading this thread. Please god no more threads on this subject. It's played out

How do we know Bentley can do that? Because of his 7 on 7 drills? Or practice against a vanilla defense? IIRC BMac outperformed all in 7 on 7s and in the scrimmages. Facing live bullets and a defense that is trying to confuse you is totally different.

Not saying that Bentley can't, but what he's shown thus far is no better than what BMac did.
Watch the Hudl tape, Bentley'a throwing ability is much better.

Watch the Hudl tape, Bentley'a throwing ability is much better.

I guess the point is...who knows until he does it against SEC competition? Drew Locke was an elite 11 quarterback two years ago and he was having a nice season until he went up against LSU and Florida. Watching him against Florida's D was painful: 4-18, 32 yards and 2 pick 6's. They may have ruined that kid.

Last edited:
Agree, but we have to get out of this defeatist mindset thaf we suck so let's just roll over and start fresh next year. We are building a football program and if I have to burn a RS this year just to see what the future holds for any position on this team, then that is what needs to be done. I am glad Muschamp thinks along those lines as well and has the win now mentality because if he follows the strategy of some fans, we will be waiting to be a competitive program. Most importantly, no Talented player will be interested in a losing program so we have to show progress now. Now is our interview to potential recruits not next year.

How successful have we been at getting top talent to stay when they become eligible for the NFL?

This is why we better be focusing hard on this position while recruiting. Maybe we can get a transfer

One of the recruiting guys at Rivals to a sports writer that i know that Connor Mitch was going to be the best QB that Spurrier would ever have at Carolina. I was told this on the day that Mitch committed to us.

Nobody knows anything until you see them play live snaps.

That's right. And if they threw as many int as they did td u got to wonder why they ranked high

The big issue is the oline. Dont care what qb or rb we have right now they wont do any better with our oline. That oline is horrible. Maybe the worst oline ive ever seen in college football. We should be recruiting 5 or 6 offensive linemen in this class. You lose the battle at the line and have our offense.

Our OL drill

Spanish-bullfighter-Morante-de-la-Puebla-performs-a-media-a-pass.jpg

Reactions: wood90
We're calling for Bentley for a multitude of reasons.

A) We are currently sitting at 128/128 in total offense.

B) If we truly want to capitalize on a great recruiting class, these prospects need to see that there is a shimmer of hope in this team going forward. If Bentley comes out and lights it up, we are more likely to snag a few commits/ hold on to what we have.

C) If Bentley leaves after 3 or 4 years, then GREAT. That means he did his job and was a great QB for us. Also means we played for something bigger than the Outback Bowl. Dakereon Joyner will be ready to take over at that point.

Any other questions?

How successful have we been at getting top talent to stay when they become eligible for the NFL?
We're all entitled to our own opinion but I would be highly surprised if he left early for various reasons.

We've never lost a quarterback Early to the draft and who knows at this point just how good he will be. He's a coaches son and I don't think they appear to have many financial issues. Also, the QB position is one that can be advanced at the college level. I'd take a huge wager he doesn't leave early for those reasons..

To play him seems to me like a slight level of desperation at this point. Until we learn to run block I'm just not sure how playing him and losing a full year of eligibility could help us. I think the upside of a redshirt is larger than the alternative. Until we shore up the OL, it would be hard for me to believe he could make that much of a difference.

So far this year through 6 games we've had exactly 2 running plays over 12 yards. We've had a 75 yarder, a 25 yarder, and a couple over 10. This is where our biggest problem lies.

Reactions: rogue cock
I will get killed for this, but do the people that are saying Jake Bently "will probably only be here for three years" think that he will declare for the NFL in three years? That seems like a gigantic leap to a conclusion don't you think? He is certainly a talented QB coming out of high school, but I've never heard any recruiting guys say he's a can't miss Pro prospect. I know I'm a Clemson guy on your board at 7am, but really?

Reactions: ken in sacramento
I will get killed for this, but do the people that are saying Jake Bently "will probably only be here for three years" think that he will declare for the NFL in three years? That seems like a gigantic leap to a conclusion don't you think? He is certainly a talented QB coming out of high school, but I've never heard any recruiting guys say he's a can't miss Pro prospect. I know I'm a Clemson guy on your board at 7am, but really?

Yeah, that's pretty funny. How many SEC quarterbacks have declared for the draft early in the last 20 years? Johnny Manziel. And who else? Cam may have had another year of eligibility left at Auburn, I'm not sure, but I am certain he was 4 years out of high school (he transferred a lot).

The SEC is hard on quarterback (you could make a case that the first 7 or 8 defensive ends drafted will be from the SEC). "Experts" like to say the quarterback play is weak, but Jake Coker proved them wrong in the playoff last season and Dak is proving them wrong in the NFL this season.

So Bentley, who skipped his final year of high school, isn't going pro in 3 years. C'mon, now. Be realistic. I would love for him to prove me wrong because that would mean he played extraordinary. However, I think it's unfair to place those kind of expectations on him.

So after the Citadel game last year I don't look at any game on the schedule as a gimme with this team . So let's say we burn Bentley's redshirt and he throws 4 picks in the first half and plays like ... well a true freshman and we drop a game a game at home against UMASS. Then what do you do ?? You created a hugh QB controversy , you destroyed a very talented kids confidence (remember Derrick Car) and you probably divided your locker room , not to mention you are going to get butchered by the fans and the media . This season is and always was going to be a complete bust . No point in making it worse . Give Bmac the rest of the season and if the light never turns on then we know where to go next year. With our OLine situation no matter who plays we are still going to take a loss especially against real competition . All you guys that were hoping for success this year are delusional . The talent is just not there . You could bring Brady and the entire Patriots coaching staff down here and they couldn't win 5 games with a the current roster . Give Bentley a year to learn and if he wins the job in the off season then great . All you guys who are worried about him leaving after his redshirt soph year obviously don't watch a lot of football . The only two I can remember recently are Johnny and Jamesis and both those guys have heismans . Sure Jake is talented but it is a STRETCH .

Reactions: ken in sacramento
So after the Citadel game last year I don't look at any game on the schedule as a gimme with this team . So let's say we burn Bentley's redshirt and he throws 4 picks in the first half and plays like ... well a true freshman and we drop a game a game at home against UMASS. Then what do you do ?? You created a hugh QB controversy , you destroyed a very talented kids confidence (remember Derrick Car) and you probably divided your locker room , not to mention you are going to get butchered by the fans and the media . This season is and always was going to be a complete bust . No point in making it worse . Give Bmac the rest of the season and if the light never turns on then we know where to go next year. With our OLine situation no matter who plays we are still going to take a loss especially against real competition . All you guys that were hoping for success this year are delusional . The talent is just not there . You could bring Brady and the entire Patriots coaching staff down here and they couldn't win 5 games with a the current roster . Give Bentley a year to learn and if he wins the job in the off season then great . All you guys who are worried about him leaving after his redshirt soph year obviously don't watch a lot of football . The only two I can remember recently are Johnny and Jamesis and both those guys have heismans . Sure Jake is talented but it is a STRETCH .
"Give Bmac the rest of the season and if the light never turns on then we know where to go next year."
That doesn't sound fair to BMac either though... being a freshman and all. Personally, I don't see how both being on equal footing ( at the very least) can be a bad thing going in to next season. You kinda enforced my decision... if it were mine.

"Give Bmac the rest of the season and if the light never turns on then we know where to go next year."
That doesn't sound fair to BMac either though... being a freshman and all. Personally, I don't see how both being on equal footing ( at the very least) can be a bad thing going in to next season. You kinda enforced my decision... if it were mine.

I agree with you . It's really just a bad situation all around . No true freshman should ever be expected to start at an SEC level right away . The kid at Bama is doing well but he has NFL 1st rounders all around him . If we remember Mitch had the same kinda hype Bmac and Bentley have and he just wasn't what he was cracked up to be . Very hard to evaluate either one of them with the situation they will be placed in . I think both they kids having all the intangibles and it's just matter of giving them time and players to compliment them .

Reactions: bucketdad
I agree with you . It's really just a bad situation all around . No true freshman should ever be expected to start at an SEC level right away . The kid at Bama is doing well but he has NFL 1st rounders all around him . If we remember Mitch had the same kinda hype Bmac and Bentley have and he just wasn't what he was cracked up to be . Very hard to evaluate either one of them with the situation they will be placed in . I think both they kids having all the intangibles and it's just matter of giving them time and players to compliment them .

A really bad situation? Is that a joke? We knew going into the season that Orth likely wouldn't be the QB the entire season. Do you honestly think kids enroll expecting to sit the bench? Every single player at this level comes to school hoping to play as a freshman. That is their goal. You don't actually think Bentley graduated high school early to come ride pine his freshman year, do you? You can't be serious.

Every player wants to play their first year- the first game.

But responsible coaches know better- and should be wiser than to actually play them.

Playing a kid at this point is a waste- a waste for the kid- and a waste for us.

It's not like this is the 2nd game of the year.

This wastes a year for this kid- and we deserve what we get for playing him.

A really bad situation? Is that a joke? We knew going into the season that Orth likely wouldn't be the QB the entire season. Do you honestly think kids enroll expecting to sit the bench? Every single player at this level comes to school hoping to play as a freshman. That is their goal. You don't actually think Bentley graduated high school early to come ride pine his freshman year, do you? You can't be serious.

Reactions: roosterbell
Playing Bentley uses dumb move ??? Ok. So play b Mac who has shown he just is not ready ? Lacks passing accuracy and lacks speed to give us real run threat. Playing him more this season is not going to change either. Maybe rest of season give him a series or so in the right situation but if Bentley shows ability to move out offense thst is dead last and it also gives him experience before 2017 is a dumb move then I disagree totally. I think at this point there is nothing negative about it or dumb. Sorry

I disagree.

I think wasting his year on a crappy year is as dumb as it gets.

Bmac has barely had a chance- and he's had NO CHANCE with DEEBO and Edwards on the field at the same time- nor has he had a chance with a healthy offensive line.

I don't know if BMAC is any good or not. But he wasn't redshirted. So you aren't wasting anything on him by giving him the rest of the year to work it out.

But man- BMAC is faster than Bentley. even the players have said that. So that comparison doesn't mean anything.

it's a waste and a super dumb move to me

and beating a crappy UMASS team (if we can) doesn't mean anything.

Playing Bentley uses dumb move ??? Ok. So play b Mac who has shown he just is not ready ? Lacks passing accuracy and lacks speed to give us real run threat. Playing him more this season is not going to change either. Maybe rest of season give him a series or so in the right situation but if Bentley shows ability to move out offense thst is dead last and it also gives him experience before 2017 is a dumb move then I disagree totally. I think at this point there is nothing negative about it or dumb. Sorry

To me it's simple: we don't know how good BMAC is yet. He has looked great at times- like a true freshman at times. He needs to play so we can find out. Keep in mind BMAC has played D1 talent every time (UMASS and Western are on the back end of the schedule)- and like every D1 team facing a freshmen, they are coming after him. To my recollection he has played 15 quarters of D1 football. That's less than 4 games worth- and not consecutive. He's also not repping as a starter. The guy can't be a miracle worker under those circumstances.

The only argument for playing Bentley that holds water is to give him experience. In my mind that experience will come at a very heavy price. 1. We never discover what BMAC can be. 2. We lose the redshirt year, which is valuable. 3. It looks like a panic move.

If the rest of the team looked stout, maybe. I just can't believe sticking Bentley in there is going to right the ship immediately. BMAC deserves the start after the bye week, with all weapons at his disposal.

I absolutely think they come in as freshman not expecting to play especially QB's. How many guys have come in and started as freshman at QB and Survived a full season in the 100+ years at USC ?? I bet you can count on them on one hand .

Good grief.......Some of you folks act like we'll never have any other QBs after McIlwain and Bentley. You do know that Muschamp plans to keep recruiting, right?

And one more thing, just because Bentley wasn't ready for Game 1, doesn't mean that he's not ready now. He hasn't played with the scout team, he's been getting reps, he skipped his entire senior season to come and play, homeboy isn't messin' around.

Then we will just disagree. Cause I see benefits of seeing if he can help our offense which can also help recruiting. As well as benefit of having experience going in to 2017. You see this as dumb so we can disagree

Yep - I disagree.

I think it's a stupid move. But coaches have a right to make stupid moves. It's what results in a dismissal eventually.

Then we will just disagree. Cause I see benefits of seeing if he can help our offense which can also help recruiting. As well as benefit of having experience going in to 2017. You see this as dumb so we can disagree

Reactions: roosterbell
I have to admit, I was against burning the redshirt too, but I couldn't have been more wrong. I guess a lot of people didn't know what to expect out of Jake and it seemed a bit far fetched that he could make that big of a difference with our OL woes.

His impact has been huge so far both on and off the field. It's definitely amped up recruiting. His ceiling is obviously very high.

This weekend will be a much stiffer test for the young man. It will be interesting to see how he handles it. So far, so good and I'm pleased to admit I was wrong.

Reactions: rogue cock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT