ADVERTISEMENT

Why our team is so far behind that cow pile to north.

southflcock

Nov 6, 2001
First of all with the demise of football at most of the ACC schools, elite talent that FSU was getting is going to NW SC. There is some talent
That just wants the easiest way to
Play in the NFL. When year in and year out you don’t play any top 10 talent in your conference and you gun for those games against
Elite college teams your almost guaranteed a place in the NCG. Plus when you’ve been winning for 7-8 years and making National tv appearances all or a sudden you can be choosy and only recruit 5* talent.
compare that to us. We’re in a strong conference with schedules that are among the toughest around. You just can’t win against schedules we’ve had with 2-3*talent. That’s mostly what we’re able to recruit. Sure we get
Some 4* and even a few 5*. But unless you start winning some games you’re not going to be able to recruit elite talent. In order to keep up with our neighbors and conference brothers we MUST start winning now and recruit more 4-5*
talent.
Next compare coaches. Dablow wanted to win now. He immediately surrounded himself with the best coaches $ can buy. He got financial support from his BOT who care about sports. Muchchamp has surrounded himself with second rate coaches. The school, BOT, and AD don’t care about winning, it’s about saving $. Until we get an AD, BOT members who care about sports and the right head coach and assistants we will continue to dwell at the bottom of the SEC. you get what you pay for!

Reactions: bobo3 and SOSUSC
Everybody's behind them except perhaps Bama. We tend to measure ourselves against them, and certainly not favorably. But they're really much better than everyone else.

Dabo did not spend a ton of money to lure the best coordinators from other schools. Morris came from Tulsa, Steele was a co-def coordinator at Bama, Venables had been demoted at OU, Caldwell was fired at Vandy, Elliot/Scott/Streeter/Grisham were former players, etc.

Reactions: Zann77 and 76MACC
I can't believe you're comparing us to Clemson. Why the heck did Muschamp let Mack Brown get so far ahead of us? Losing that game last year WAS brutal....With Clemson recruiting nationally, the door was open to recruit the best in the Carolinas. We were also doing well in Tennessee...

Muschamp just never capitalized in recruiting when the door was open....Mack Brown walked right in that door...

Where do we rank in the Carolinas now? Maybe 5th?

Dabo did not spend a ton of money to lure the best coordinators from other schools. Morris came from Tulsa, Steele was a co-def coordinator at Bama, Venables had been demoted at OU, Caldwell was fired at Vandy, Elliot/Scott/Streeter/Grisham were former players, etc.
Well whatever it sure has worked out for them.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I can't believe you're comparing us to Clemson. Why the heck did Muschamp let Mack Brown get so far ahead of us? Losing that game last year WAS brutal....With Clemson recruiting nationally, the door was open to recruit the best in the Carolinas. We were also doing well in Tennessee...

Muschamp just never capitalized in recruiting when the door was open....Mack Brown walked right in that door...

Where do we rank in the Carolinas now? Maybe 5th?
Funny you mention that, currently Coastal Carolina ranks ahead of USC in the latest Coaches Poll.

First of all with the demise of football at most of the ACC schools, elite talent that FSU was getting is going to NW SC. There is some talent
Play in the NFL. When year in and year out you don’t play any top 10 talent in your conference and you gun for those games against
Elite college teams your almost guaranteed a place in the NCG. Plus when you’ve been winning for 7-8 years and making National tv appearances all or a sudden you can be choosy and only recruit 5* talent.
compare that to us. We’re in a strong conference with schedules that are among the toughest around. You just can’t win against schedules we’ve had with 2-3*talent. That’s mostly what we’re able to recruit. Sure we get
Some 4* and even a few 5*. But unless you start winning some games you’re not going to be able to recruit elite talent. In order to keep up with our neighbors and conference brothers we MUST start winning now and recruit more 4-5*
talent.
Next compare coaches. Dablow wanted to win now. He immediately surrounded himself with the best coaches $ can buy. He got financial support from his BOT who care about sports. Muchchamp has surrounded himself with second rate coaches. The school, BOT, and AD don’t care about winning, it’s about saving $. Until we get an AD, BOT members who care about sports and the right head coach and assistants we will continue to dwell at the bottom of the SEC. you get what you pay for!
Looks like you answered your own thread question

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Elite college teams your almost guaranteed a place in the NCG. Plus when you’ve been winning for 7-8 years and making National tv appearances all of a sudden you can be choosy and only recruit 5* talent.

This is a crazy statement! First, right now, the ACC has 3 schools in the top 10. Second, you say that players want the easiest path to the NFL. Do you watch the NFL? Former upstate players are playing all over the league. If they sucked, they would be drummed out of the league! Lastly, I think the highlighted part of your rant says it all. When you are constantly winning on National TV, the best high school players in the country want to play with you! Winners attract winners. Don't whine about what the upstate team is doing, just try to copy it. Simpler said than done!! I see you must be from South Florida, are you also a Miami fan? Did you expect the Hurricanes to make a better showing? I did, but apparently the gap has not gotten much closer.....yet.

talent.

look at their board, president, AD, boosters, and coach They are all pulling in the same direction there. They also demand a winner.

Us? We don’t demand anything. We aim low and for whatever reason we have some sort of self loathing complex. Our board is all political so our hires are all political. Winning is secondary.

look at their board, president, AD, boosters, and coach They are all pulling in the same direction there. They also demand a winner.

Us? We don’t demand anything. We aim low and for whatever reason we have some sort of self loathing complex. Our board is all political so our hires are all political. Winning is secondary.
CU board/management operates like a Dow stock. We operate like a state government agency. Complacency/risk aversion is our downfall.

Last edited:
UNC concerns me more. 2 years ago they were near or below our level. Today a top 10 ranked team and recruiting at a great level. Only 1 thing changed. They got a new HC that can absolutely run a program as well as sale it. Clemson has checked out to another stratosphere. UNC however was eye level months ago with us. Thats an amazing turnaround.

Truer words...

Reactions: agantt
Clemson finally understands how the elites operate. They don't tinker around with their helmets or uniforms every game, they have an established brand identity for home/away. They avoid hiring head coaches who were just fired. They don't make their baseball coach the AD. They don't arrest their students/fans for storming the field after beating the #1 team in the country for the first time in school history. They encourage it. They know what it takes to win and I hope one day we will too.

Last edited:
This is a crazy statement! First, right now, the ACC has 3 schools in the top 10. Second, you say that players want the easiest path to the NFL. Do you watch the NFL? Former upstate players are playing all over the league. If they sucked, they would be drummed out of the league! Lastly, I think the highlighted part of your rant says it all. When you are constantly winning on National TV, the best high school players in the country want to play with you! Winners attract winners. Don't whine about what the upstate team is doing, just try to copy it. Simpler said than done!! I see you must be from South Florida, are you also a Miami fan? Did you expect the Hurricanes to make a better showing? I did, but apparently the gap has not gotten much closer.....yet.
First of all I’m a USC grad probably unlike you. Secondly, the only reason the ACC has 4 top 10 teams is simple. ND is only in this year so they don’t count. UM(who I despise by the way) and UNC are good teams but would not be ranked in top 10 if big 10 and pac 12 were playing. Thirdly, CU is so far above everyone it doesn’t matter who they play! They have 2 of the top 6-7 players in the country in ball handling positions.

Dont look now , but Clemson just offered Skinner the big TE for Greer. 2022 will be an unprecedented recruiting year for my county Greenville with 3 players in the top 150. And we may not get any of them.

Dont look now , but Clemson just offered Skinner the big TE for Greer. 2022 will be an unprecedented recruiting year for my county Greenville with 3 players in the top 150. And we may not get any of them.
What's funny is that 2 of those 3 live in Spartanburg County...remember Greer, Byrnes and Riverside take both Greenville and Spartanburg County residents. The big offensive lineman from Greenville High is from Inman and the Skinner kid lives in the Sunnyside section of Greer which is Spartanburg County. Too bad those kids don't run over to Byrnes to play. I'm from Greer, Spartanburg County and I could've gone to Riverside or Byrnes.

Greer, the school itself sits in Greenville County, only about a mile to the Spartanburg County line.

If Greer were more serious about football, it should try to make the shift to playing Dorman, Byrnes, Spartanburg, Gaffney...those little Greenville County schools can't touch the Spartanburg County powerhouses....jus say'n...

What's funny is that 2 of those 3 live in Spartanburg County...remember Greer, Byrnes and Riverside take both Greenville and Spartanburg County residents. The big offensive lineman from Greenville High is from Inman and the Skinner kid lives in the Sunnyside section of Greer which is Spartanburg County. Too bad those kids don't run over to Byrnes to play. I'm from Greer, Spartanburg County and I could've gone to Riverside or Byrnes.

Greer, the school itself sits in Greenville County, only about a mile to the Spartanburg County line.

If Greer were more serious about football, it should try to make the shift to playing Dorman, Byrnes, Spartanburg, Gaffney...those little Greenville County schools can't touch the Spartanburg County powerhouses....jus say'n...
Well 1st off , Greer is 4A not 5A like those other schools . And they played Doty in the State title game a couple of years ago. That was when USC offered Skinner after he caught 2 TDs and was only in the 9th grade. I hope he remembers who offered him 1st.

talent.

I agree with your comment about the demise of ACC football. It is totally true and has gone a long way towards what Clempson has been able to do that last 5+ years. Years ago, FSU and VT were programs that could have competed regularly with a top 10 CU program. Now they are both shells of the programs they used to be. UNC???? Please. Yes, they are recruiting well and may be better in the future but no way they are currently a top 10 team on a non-COVID season with all leagues playing. They have beaten Syracuse, BC and VT. They struggled to beat a BC team by 4 points that barely beat Texas State (not A&M).

UNC will cruise through a terrible schedule as an only pretty good team and play CU in the conference title game where they will lose by 4+ TD's.

Hopefully those guys are part Eskimo.

I agree with your comment about the demise of ACC football. It is totally true and has gone a long way towards what Clempson has been able to do that last 5+ years. Years ago, FSU and VT were programs that could have competed regularly with a top 10 CU program. Now they are both shells of the programs they used to be. UNC???? Please. Yes, they are recruiting well and may be better in the future but no way they are currently a top 10 team on a non-COVID season with all leagues playing. They have beaten Syracuse, BC and VT. They struggled to beat a BC team by 4 points that barely beat Texas State (not A&M).

UNC will cruise through a terrible schedule as an only pretty good team and play CU in the conference title game where they will lose by 4+ TD's.
What you fail to realize or just won’t admit, is as good as unc is, Clemson is still 4+ touchdowns better than them. There are only 3 teams that I think can beat Clemson is they play their b+ game or better. Ohio stat (still have not played so I’ll toss it up), Alabama, and maybe Georgia but I doubt it.

btw I would like Clemson as a 10 point favorite over the Alabama team I have seen this far.

What you fail to realize or just won’t admit, is as good as unc is, Clemson is still 4+ touchdowns better than them. There are only 3 teams that I think can beat Clemson is they play their b+ game or better. Ohio stat (still have not played so I’ll toss it up), Alabama, and maybe Georgia but I doubt it.

btw I would like Clemson as a 10 point favorite over the Alabama team I have seen this far.
He cleary said this in his last paragraph. You guys are in agreement.

Reactions: TN-Gamecock
Clemson walked a very fine line between setting a standard for excellence and exhibiting patience with a young coach. It's worked out beautifully for them.

He didn’t to begin with. All of the guys were considered long shots but Venables is a teacher, Morris had an offense that it easy to sell. Dabo’s biggest strength was realizing his own weaknesses and bringing in people to do what he couldn’t which is coach. He is a hell of a salesman and he was getting kids on campus long before he became HC and even when he was losing as a HC. He realized that all he needed was people who could coach the talent he could sign and the rest was history.

They got away from us when Spurrier checked out and put Jr over recruiting and just gave up looking for assistant coaches. They pulled away when Tanner completely blew the transition opportunity he had and brought in a guy who thinks he’s the total package as a coach. If you didnt think Muschamp would be a disaster at the announcement when he said he was bringing in Roper it was over.

Our players standing around jawing with VANDY as precious seconds ticked away before halftime tells you all you need to know. That epitomizes the state of our program. We are a joke in comparison.
WELL PULL FOR THEM THEN, WE WILL LET YOU GO.

Very true. My family moved here in 1968. I had never followed college football before that, but I remember hearing people say exactly what you just posted. In 1968. Paul Dietzel himself was quoted with those words as well.

That was 52 years ago, and nothing has changed. It’s the culture that’s in place. And that culture simply does not think and value like you do, or like clemmons does. Blessed is he that understands and accepts that.

Having said that, I could DEFINITELY go for the Clemson all in approach myself. But it’s not gonna happen.

Until we get an AD, BOT members who care about sports and the right head coach and assistants we will continue to dwell at the bottom of the SEC. you get what you pay for!

This is a big reason, just look at the press releases, how they went about hiring their AD, and how we went about hiring ours in 2012, you will notice no mention of how many candidates, our board interviewed, it wasn't 30.

Yes our guy had been an assistant AD, and was a great baseball coach. Their guy was much more qualified and experienced and worked his way up, and has been great for them. Great Baseball Coaching Stats doesn't make a great or even competent AD as we have found out.

CLEMSON, SC – Dan Radakovich, director of athletics at Georgia Tech, was introduced Monday (Oct. 29) as Clemson University’s new AD, concluding a three-month national search that drew more than 30 candidates.

In announcing the decision, Clemson President James F. Barker described Radakovich as the right person to build on the strong foundation created under the leadership of current AD Terry Don Phillips, who announced his plans to retire in August.

“Dan Radakovich understands the academic, business and competitive aspects of college athletics. He knows what it takes to win championships, he has a proven track record in fundraising and revenue growth, and he is committed to compliance and student-athlete welfare,” Barker said. “He has been successful in the ACC and SEC, and he is known and respected among coaches and athletic directors nationwide.”

Radakovich has served as Georgia Tech’s AD since 2006, following a five-year tenure as senior associate athletics director at Louisiana State University – a period when LSU won a national championship in football. He previously served as athletics director at American University and associate athletics director at the University of South Carolina.

“I am truly honored to be joining the Clemson family, and I wish to express my appreciation to President Barker and the board of trustees for this incredible opportunity,” he said. “Clemson is synonymous with success on and off the fields of competition, and I look forward to continuing the tradition of excellence.”

Georgia Tech has had consistent success throughout its total sports program under Radakovich’s guidance. The program has had 51 teams advance to either NCAA team tournament play or bowl games. That includes six sports (football, baseball, women’s basketball, softball, women’s tennis and golf) that have made the postseason every year he has been in Atlanta.

Eleven different sports have finished in the final top 25 of at least one major poll 27 times in those six years. That includes a national championship women’s tennis program in 2007, just the second NCAA team title in Georgia Tech history. There have been 13 ACC championships celebrated in addition to nine regular season conference or division titles.

On an individual basis, the program boasts 51 first-team All-Americans in 10 different sports, 30 academic All-Americans, two National Coach of the Year selections and two National Player of the Year selections. The program has had 13 ACC Coach of the Year and 13 ACC Player of the Year choices as well.

In making the announcement, Barker paid tribute to outgoing AD Phillips for helping make the position “one of the best jobs in America by building a program that is financially healthy, academically and athletically successful, and has some of the nation’s best facilities, coaches, compliance and academic support programs.”

FACTS ON DAN RADAKOVICH

Date of Birth
June 9, 1958 in Sewickley, PA

FamilyWife Marcia and children Christian and Grant

DegreesBachelor of Science in Finance from Indiana University of Pennsylvania, 1980; Masters of Business Administration from University of Miami (FL), 1982

Athletic ExperienceHigh School: Center High School near Aliquippa, PAPlaying Experience: Football letterman and student coach at Indiana University in Pennsylvania

Athletic Administration History

• Athletic Business Manager, University of Miami, Miami, FL, 1983-85
  • Senior Associate Athletic Director, Long Beach State University, Long Beach, CA, 1989-94
  • Associate Athletic Director/CFO, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC, 1994-2000
  • Director of Athletics, American University, Washington, DC, 2000-01
  • Senior Associate Athletics Director, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA, 2001-06
  • Athletic Director, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA, 2006-12

Ray Tanner to be South Carolina AD
Jul 12, 2012

. -- The Gamecocks' two-time national champion baseball coach Ray Tanner will be South Carolina's next athletic director, said a person familiar with the move.

Tanner is expected to be introduced Friday, the person told The Associated Press Thursday on condition of anonymity because the school has not publically announced the hire.

Tanner replaces Eric Hyman, who resigned two weeks ago to become athletic director at Texas A&M.

Tanner brought the school its first men's national team titles in any sport when the Gamecocks won the College World Series in 2010 and 2011. South Carolina reached the CWS again last month, finishing runner up to Arizona in the championship series.

Tanner's top assistant, Chad Holbrook, is expected to take over as South Carolina baseball coach. Tanner has long considered athletic administration as his next step and was interested in the athletic director's position in 2005 when Hyman was hired.

Tanner had been an assistant athletic director at North Carolina.
Tanner was 738-316 in 16 seasons with the Gamecocks. He led the team to six College World Series appearances, including the past three seasons. Tanner was also baseball coach with the Wolfpack for nine seasons before moving to South Carolina. It was there Tanner served as assistant to the athletic director and assistant AD in charge of game operations.

Tanner, 54, is one of the school's most popular coaches and quickly became the fans' choice to succeed Hyman. He also eventually became the choice of University of South Carolina president Harris Pastides.

Pastides had appointed a panel of five to consider an interim athletic director after Hyman's resignation but decided to make a full-time hire instead after returning from a trip overseas.

Hyman said this week Tanner was an intelligent person capable of making the jump to athletic director. However, Hyman cautioned Tanner would have to broaden his mindset in the new role and get away from the black-and-white approach many successful coaches take.

"You deal with so many stakeholders," he said. "That's a lot different. So you have to operate in the gray, a lot more than in the coaching world."

Tanner's biggest task might be keeping the rising South Carolina program on the right track. The football team won a record 11 games last season, the men's basketball team is rebuilding under recently hired Kansas State coach Frank Martin and the women's basketball team returned to the NCAA tournament for the first time in nine years under popular coach Dawn Staley.

Tanner will move into a brand new office at the top of a new coach's support building and oversee a host of projects to revamp athletic facilities that began under Hyman.

The baseball program should continue in good hands. Tanner has groomed Holbrook to move up since the assistant coach joined the program from North Carolina four years ago.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT