ADVERTISEMENT

2-8 Record and Ray Ray/Beamer keep half the staff

Math isn't this fanbase's strong suit. 4 coaches does not equal half of a staff.
It's 40%. Still pretty high. I'm not for or against these guys staying. But I got to be honest in that I thought we would get a new OC in general. I hope this isn't Shane's biggest regret in 4yrs.

I get your feeling, and I actually agree. What I don't like is people like the OP acting like these are all terrible coaches and hires.
If the best thing we can say is that these retentions are "not terrible" and considering what little talent we have left on the team, how is this supposed to move the needle one iota on the recruiting trail, much less the win column?

If the obvious answer is that it won't, then how can this move be considered anything other than terrible?

My question is will the players there next year want to play for Bobo as he called them out about a toxic culture and such. I hope we can turn this around sooner than later. But at this point, the talent is not there and it is extremely tough to get the top recruits with that Orange team in the upstate picking and choosing, Georgia being Georgia, and now Florida holding on to their top recruits in the sunshine state. We have to coach up the 3 stars and grab a few 4 stars as we can. Kids that want to be here.

Well, if Tanner is the one insisting on keeping some of the old coaching staff to save money, that explains a lot about why a head coach with experience AS a head coach was not on the top of their list.

As the new head coach, Beamer should be about complete change, top to bottom, to reset everything: culture, expectations, approach, etc. The abilities, etc. of any of the existing coaches should not even be a consideration. They carry the stink, goodbye.

That he is not doing that is not a good sign on many levels, IMO.

You've seen the assistants contracts? You really just making stuff up

Seen the Assistants contracts? Is that a silly question or what? Have you? They have not even been sent to the BOT.

Do I need to suspend reason and put blinders on to not deduce that Ray is on cost cutting spree? No. How foolish can we get. Penny wise and pound foolish.

But what is happening now (keeping Bobo etc) is going to hurt this program. It also hurts Beamer. They needed a yes man and Beamer being so eager to take this job might have lost his bargaining power.

More to the point, I know Beamer’s and Bobo’s contracts. Are you telling me that the assistants are going to be paid above SEC averages? I need not know, the assistants contracts but I know how Ray now operates. He is now hell bent on saving money in the worst way possible because of his financial buffoonery with Muschamp.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeBoer31
Seen the Assistants contracts? Is that a silly question or what? Have you? They have not even been sent to the BOT.

Do I need to suspend reason and put blinders on to not deduce that Ray is on cost cutting spree? No. How foolish can we get. Penny wise and pound foolish.

But what is happening now (keeping Bobo etc) is going to hurt this program. It also hurts Beamer. They needed a yes man and Beamer being so eager to take this job might have lost his bargaining power.

More to the point, I know Beamer’s and Bobo’s contracts. Are you telling me that the assistants are going to be paid above SEC averages? I need not know, the assistants contracts but I know how Ray now operates. He is now hell bent on saving money in the worst way possible because of his financial buffoonery with Muschamp.
Yeah....and this is the first real solid evidence I have that Napier walked away from this deal; I thought it was primarily based off of Admin going cheap on the off the field positions and money allotment for assistants....and while that may have been a factor....the mandate (I think happened) that he has to keep 1-2 of these guys for $ saving was probably way too much for him and he walked away.

giphy.gif

So glad Beamer went to OU and learned so much from Riley. It really paid off, keeping an OC that loves the FB and is used to UGA quality backs.

Really glad to see we are turning over a new leaf.
Yeah, and I thought Beamer was going to be his own OC!
Otherwise this is going to be the same old same old chit show.
Alas alack.Another wasted year.
Gamecock Football 20/20, SOS!

I am perplexed at how someone who possibly climbs light poles for a living can know more about the quality and upside of coaches than an actual career football coach. I’m trying to keep up but... idk.

Reactions: feeble2001
Just keeping Bobo is enough to turn me off on this staff. He was awful this year.

Maybe, if Beamer turns out to be a good head coach, Bobo will be a big part of his success. Bobo has received lots of accolades over the years since he was the offensive coordinator at Georgia.

"Bobo, a former Georgia quarterback from 1993-97, worked for the Dawgs from 2001-2014, where he manufactured some incredible offenses and more than a few of the program’s best passers of all-time."

Your post is the definition of what’s wrong with some in this fan base. After a 2-8 season you actually think the change agents on this board have to explain why new blood is needed. That’s the definition of insanity.
I'm simply pointing out that you are ignorant when it comes to the nuts and bolts of football. That's fine since most fans are, but don't act like you know more than you do. You have nothing more than personal feelings to base wanting a change.

If the best thing we can say is that these retentions are "not terrible" and considering what little talent we have left on the team, how is this supposed to move the needle one iota on the recruiting trail, much less the win column?

If the obvious answer is that it won't, then how can this move be considered anything other than terrible?
It's the fact that these aren't the only coaches we have. They aren't even the majority.

Well, if Tanner is the one insisting on keeping some of the old coaching staff to save money, that explains a lot about why a head coach with experience AS a head coach was not on the top of their list.

As the new head coach, Beamer should be about complete change, top to bottom, to reset everything: culture, expectations, approach, etc. The abilities, etc. of any of the existing coaches should not even be a consideration. They carry the stink, goodbye.

That he is not doing that is not a good sign on many levels, IMO.
This is what we expected, clean house, top to bottom, STARTING with RAY!
Ray is the 15 MILLION Dollar EFF UP man!
No Private business would keep ANYone that was a patsy to an AGENT, over and over again.
He has allowed King Sexton to Screw the USC ROYALLY!
This mess will never be fixed until a REAL Athletic Director is hired to replace the Fake one in name only; RayTanner.

Yeah....and this is the first real solid evidence I have that Napier walked away from this deal; I thought it was primarily based off of Admin going cheap on the off the field positions and money allotment for assistants....and while that may have been a factor....the mandate (I think happened) that he has to keep 1-2 of these guys for $ saving was probably way too much for him and he walked away.
Which begs the question, what was the search all about?

Was it about finding the best possible coach who loves the state and would be loyal to the University? Someone who could transform the culture and the team in short order and win games?

OR

Was it about finding someone who would work for 2.5 million and keep a certain number of coaches on staff? Did Napier and Chadwell turn the job down (or were not offered the job) because they wanted to replace the entire staff?

I want to believe it was the former.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Y’all the search committees aren’t turning over rocks finding coaches - they look for baggage and other deep info on the coaches to validate to eliminate them from contention

2-8
Awful culture
Half the team quitting (either literally or in attitude and effort).

Specific enough for you?

Cleaning house was in order.
Not specific at all. You're talking personal feelings based on an overall record of a team that clearly had a toxic environment. Outside of what you would have LIKED to have happen, let me know what they did wrong from an actual football standpoint.

What formations, techniques, and plays should these coaches have used to make the results better?

Last edited:
Reactions: bcolinc
I have a suspicion that Ray is micromanaging Beamer. And Beamer will not get what he needs to be successful.

The guy single handily set our program back 15 years the moment he was promoted to AD. He begged Spurrier to stay when he wanted to retire. In 2012 Ray should have let Spurrier ride off into the sunset like he wanted and hired a new coach at that time. At least the new guy would have had a solid foundation to work with. A top ten team. But no, our great program went to crap on Ray’s watch dropping well out of the top 25 range. Ray followed up HIS dumpster fire with a hire that made us an even bigger dumpster fire. And everyone but Ray thought the same.

Ray has got to go. Fire him..... reassign him...... Do something!

Last edited:
Reactions: cocknjax and SOSUSC
Lou was a legend and had a reputation of turning programs around. Beamer has no such reputation.
But we're still talking about the results from a coach's first year at SC. It's a perfectly relevant request.

The statement was made that since the coaches were part of a staff that led a 2-8 team that they must not be even average. People can't just pick and choose when to apply certain types of logic.

But we're still talking about the results from a coach's first year at SC. It's a perfectly relevant request.

The statement was made that since the coaches were part of a staff that led a 2-8 team that they must not be even average. People can't just pick and choose when to apply certain types of logic.
I just hope that Shane is getting to make 100% of the decisions but I smell Ray all over this with Bobo. Ray is trying to save money, everyone knows it, and I wouldn’t be surprised he talked Shane into retaining Bobo simply for the contract we signed him to.

I'm simply pointing out that you are ignorant when it comes to the nuts and bolts of football. That's fine since most fans are, but don't act like you know more than you do. You have nothing more than personal feelings to base wanting a change.

Keep drinking it up, the powers that be love stooges...

giphy.gif

Reactions: SOSUSC
It's the fact that these aren't the only coaches we have. They aren't even the majority.
But only one of them had a unit that actually exceeded expectations. The other three woefully underperformed and pretty much looked terrible all year.

What do we gain by keeping them?

Which begs the question, what was the search all about?

Was it about finding the best possible coach who loves the state and would be loyal to the University? Someone who could transform the culture and the team in short order and win games?

OR

Was it about finding someone who would work for 2.5 million and keep a certain number of coaches on staff? Did Napier and Chadwell turn the job down (or were not offered the job) because they wanted to replace the entire staff?

I want to believe it was the former.
It was a search by a committee with a certain hierarchy. That should tell you a lot...and it's all the information I can divulge other than two military acronyms fit the search, SNAFU and FUBAR.

• Haha
Reactions: JamesRob
Not specific at all. You're talking personal feelings based on an overall record of a team that clearly had a toxic environment. Outside of what you would have LIKED to have happen, let me know what they did wrong from an actual football standpoint.

What formations, techniques, and plays should these coaches have used to make the results better?
Read my other posts. All the stuff you bring up doesn't matter (or shouldn't matter).

My reasoning is not based on emotion. It is based on how to move on from utter failure. The same reasoning applies in just about any endeavor, not just football coaching.

Your reasoning, such as it is, is based on wishing and hoping (and, frankly, it seem to me, spin).

I think everyone assumes next year will be a "rough" year at best. Retaining some guys saves money, and allows for some easy firings next year to show Beamer really means it when he cleans house.

That makes little sense. Waste an entire year so you can fire everybody after 1 year and start over? Did you think this strategy through?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT