ADVERTISEMENT

Darla Moore angry at USC

nah, donors will just see it as an opportunity to move up the ranks. and, i never said what my acquaintance does or doesn't believe about any potential impact on gifts from other donors.

the self-entitled tone of Moore's letter hurt her cause. she just comes across as a crazy, angry woman...dare I say a karen.
And your friend comes across as too lazy for the job she's in. Here's some simple math, I believe Darla has contributed more than this but we'll use $75 mil. If she never gave another nickel to USC, and we call a small donation $1000, (obviously some will be larger/smaller) your friend needs to successfully hit on 75,000 donors just to match that. With the success rate of solicitations in general, much less after a pandemic, she's going to be making a ton of phone calls and/or mailings for many years to come.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I get it. Darla is great at the self promotion into being something she’s not.

But you don’t have to pretend you had ever heard of her before she married Richard Rainwater and became a billionaire.
You obviously know nothing about Darla if you think she just married in to money. 🤦🏻‍♂️🙄

Reactions: Zann77
Can you provide any evidence of comparable wealth she brought into her marriage?
Nice job of moving the goalpost. You started by saying she made her wealth thru marriage. Not so, she was quite wealthy & highly successful before she married. That is a fact. So that fell apart apart, now you're talking about "comparable" wealth. If O Winfrey married Bill Gates by your definition she made her wealth thru marriage.

Reactions: Dizzy01
And your friend comes across as too lazy for the job she's in. Here's some simple math, I believe Darla has contributed more than this but we'll use $75 mil. If she never gave another nickel to USC, and we call a small donation $1000, (obviously some will be larger/smaller) your friend needs to successfully hit on 75,000 donors just to match that. With the success rate of solicitations in general, much less after a pandemic, she's going to be making a ton of phone calls and/or mailings for many years to come.

you don't know what job my acquaintance is in.

I dont know the amounts, but I know that she made a fortune in her own right by pioneering what is known as debtor-in-possession financing in major chapter 11 bankruptcy cases. Look it up. I understand it, but I dont want to bore you all with the details.
Wrong. She was an Employee of a major NY bank that did a lot of those deals.

Reactions: uscwatson21
Nice job of moving the goalpost. You started by saying she made her wealth thru marriage. Not so, she was quite wealthy & highly successful before she married. That is a fact. So that fell apart apart, now you're talking about "comparable" wealth. If O Winfrey married Bill Gates by your definition she made her wealth thru marriage.
Oprah Winfrey and Bill Gates are both top 400 richest Americans. Are you trying to argue that Darla and Richard were comparable to Bill and Oprah?

I’m just curious if you know what our business school was ranked in 1997 and where it’s ranked now?
Well I believe we have a top 25 professional mba program, #1 mibs #1 international mba. No, I don’t know the overall ranking but certain aspects have been very strong for many years. I readily admit I do not know the ranking from 1997
Enlighten me please.

Well I believe we have a top 25 professional mba program, #1 mibs #1 international mba. No, I don’t know the overall ranking but certain aspects have been very strong for many years. I readily admit I do not know the ranking from 1997
Enlighten me please.
I don’t know where we were in 1997 either. That was before my time.

But it seems to be a trend here in this thread to give credit to Darla for things people aren’t even sure if they’re actual accomplishments.

Plus they’re giving her credit for the international business program that definitely predates her first donation.

Ok...Momma gonna end this argument now.

She had money (don't care how she got it), and simply increased that wealth through marriage. They have a helluva lot more money than we do, so who really cares where they rank on some list of wealthiest Americans.

She's given a crap ton of money to USC, so the least we could have done was send a card, regardless of what we may think of her attitude. It's just common decency.

She's a member of Augusta National, and we are not. So she also has that going for her.

Y'all can stop acting like 4 year olds going back and forth at any time.

Oprah Winfrey and Bill Gates are both top 400 richest Americans. Are you trying to argue that Darla and Richard were comparable to Bill and Oprah?
I'll make this simple for you. Both parties were successful & wealthy before they married. Your claim that Moore was only wealthy thru marriage is factually wrong. Thus, you introduced "comparable wealth" into the equation. When two wealthy people marry, one is always more wealthy than the other unless their net worth is down to the penny the same. Understand now? because I can only explain it to you, I can't understand it for you.

Ok...Momma gonna end this argument now.

She had money (don't care how she got it), and simply increased that wealth through marriage. They have a helluva lot more money than we do, so who really cares where they rank on some list of wealthiest Americans.

She's given a crap ton of money to USC, so the least we could have done was send a card, regardless of what we may think of her attitude. It's just common decency.

She's a member of Augusta National, and we are not. So she also has that going for her.

Y'all can stop acting like 4 year olds going back and forth at any time.

Is it officially confirmed that University hadn't expressed condolences to her mom?

Is it officially confirmed that University hadn't expressed condolences to her mom?
Officially confirmed? Really? Don't you think the person who would have received such condolences would know? I mean, do you think there is some type of official notarized document that might be floating around?

Officially confirmed? Really? Don't you think the person who would have received such condolences would know?

You have met people before, right? There are 3 sides to this story (and every story):

1. Darla's side
2. USC's side
3. The truth

I'll make this simple for you. Both parties were successful & wealthy before they married. Your claim that Moore was only wealthy thru marriage is factually wrong. Thus, you introduced "comparable wealth" into the equation. When two wealthy people marry, one is always more wealthy than the other unless their net worth is down to the penny the same. Understand now? because I can only explain it to you, I can't understand it for you.
Please define wealthy and evidence to show Darla met that definition.

You have met people before, right? There are 3 sides to this story (and every story):

1. Darla's side
2. USC's side
3. The truth
USC expressed sympathy for Moore in a statement issued April 6, but the school declined comment on why it failed to acknowledge her mother’s passing when it happened or how it would try to repair the relationship with a major benefactor.

USC expressed sympathy for Moore in a statement issued April 6, but the school declined comment on why it failed to acknowledge her mother’s passing when it happened or how it would try to repair the relationship with a major benefactor.

Is it confirmed that they had failed to acknowledge her mother's passing prior to their public statement?

texted with an acquaintance who works there at the university. definitely not a higher up, but works in the admin. she says it's well-known there to everyone that darla is a piece of work. nobody can stand her. seems she feels that her generous "gift" to the university basically makes her the boss. there is apparently no love lost on either side. she said the people there are tired of having to kiss her a*s and would rather deal with the smaller donors who are just genuinely appreciative of the university and don't have all sorts of strings attached to their donations.

This is a rumor about her behavior, so I will not place much stock in it.

One thing I believe we can all agree on is that Palms, Sorensen and Pastides were able to successfully manage this most important donor relationship on behalf of USC with no hint of strife, at least nothing which went public.

This is a rumor about her behavior, so I will not place much stock in it.

One thing I believe we can all agree on is that Palms, Sorensen and Pastides were able to successfully manage this most important donor relationship on behalf of USC with no hint of strife, at least nothing which went public.

Pretty much this entire thread is based on rumor. Nobody knows anything of went on behind the scenes. We don't know if the University had reached out to express condolences in some way. Darla says they didn't, but that's one side of a story. She said Clemson did, but we don't know that for certain either.

What we do know is that the relationship is obviously fractured, but we have no idea of the cause other than Moore's disapproval of Caslen. Maybe the University has bent over backwards to fix the relationship and Darla just won't have it. We simply don't know.

Pretty much this entire thread is based on rumor. Nobody knows anything of went on behind the scenes. We don't know if the University had reached out to express condolences in some way. Darla says they didn't, but that's one side of a story. She said Clemson did, but we don't know that for certain either.

What we do know is that the relationship is obviously fractured, but we have no idea of the cause other than Moore's disapproval of Caslen. Maybe the University has bent over backwards to fix the relationship and Darla just won't have it. We simply don't know.
Problem is Darla says they didn't & the University has not said they did. This is not a he said, she said, with differing takes on what happened at this point. Had USC & Moore put forth a different take on what happened, then you have a different situation & a choice between two narratives. That is not what we have here. If USC has evidence that they did reach out then why on earth would they allow this PR disaster to feaster unchallenged either privately among the parties or all over the media? And I don't mean engaging in a public pissing match. When asked that question the response would be something along the lines of we reached out but somehow our communication regretfully did not find its way to Mrs Moore. Instead we get silence. That silence does not bode well for what happened imo. Best case scenerio is they did reach out & can smooth this over, but my guess is we screwed the pooch. Would love to be wrong. I think it is highly, highly unlikely D Moore would put this out there if it were not true. Would damage her reputation too much & USC might have evidence to present to the contrary.
Sometimes things are just as they appear to be & anyone who can't conceive of USC screwing something like this up hasn't been paying attention.

Last edited:

Sure, no one knows for sure what 100% happened except for those involved. But it seems highly unlikely that she would just lie about the lack of acknowledgement of her mother's death for no reason. I could be wrong but I don't recall a history of Darla Moore just randomly lying about USC. Furthermore if this accusation was untrue, it would be safe to assume that the University would have made a statement to clear themselves and prove that they did reach out earlier. Usually when someone with this much prominence is involved, then there is both a private and a public condolences sent out. Based on the lack of a public statement sent out before the backlash, I'm incline to believe that Moore's statement has some merit to it. Again no matter which way you try to spin it, this was a bad a look for the University and the handling of this situation has been extremely disappointing.

Problem is Darla says they didn't & the University has not said they did. This is not a he said, she said, with differing takes on what happened at this point. Had USC & Moore put forth a different take on what happened, then you have a different situation & a choice between two narratives. That is not what we have here. If USC has evidence that they did reach out then why on earth would they allow this PR disaster to feaster unchallenged either privately among the parties or all over the media? And I don't mean engaging in a public pissing match. When asked that question the response would be something along the lines of we reached out but somehow our communication regretfully did not find its way to Mrs Moore. Instead we get silence. That silence does not bode well for what happened imo. Best case scenerio is they did reach out & can smooth this over, but my guess is we screwed the pooch. Would love to be wrong. I think it is highly, highly unlikely D Moore would put this out there if it were not true. Would damage her reputation too much & USC might have evidence to present to the contrary.
Sometimes things are just as they appear to be.

the university hasn’t publicly said they had contacted her, but I wouldn’t expect them to. That would just escalate the issue.

Honestly, I think this whole affair is a bad look for both the University of South Carolina and Darla Moore. It looks like the school dropped the ball on sending condolences to a big donor. And it looks like Darla Moore is the kind of wealthy person who needs the praise of others. My father supported USC athletics for decades. But our family didn't look for any condolences from the university when he passed away. The whole thing is ridiculous!

Reactions: uscwatson21
Honestly, I think this whole affair is a bad look for both the University of South Carolina and Darla Moore. It looks like the school dropped the ball on sending condolences to a big donor. And it looks like Darla Moore is the kind of wealthy person who needs the praise of others. My father supported USC athletics for decades. But our family didn't look for any condolences from the university when he passed away. The whole thing is ridiculous!
Was your father the #1 donor? Give 75 million? Have a business school named after him? It’s not even remotely the same.

Par for the course. Then again Nikki Haley forced the largest benefactor in our school's history ($75,000,000) off the BOT & replaced her with a guy who contributed $4500 to her campaign. Sadly, after she royally screwed our university many of our alumni have & will continue to blindly support her. Not the first time the University pooped on her but it appears it will be the last. Just dumb beyond belief. We're getting exactly what we deserve.
Yes how do people forget this

I think this is a false equivalency. She's the biggest individual donor for the University and is the namesake for our most prized department, the business school. I expect if the University is going to go show the smallest bit of respect for anyone it would be for her.

Do you have any reason to believe Darla Moore is lying?

To answer your question: I have no reason to believe she's either lying or telling the truth.

Practically speaking, given the tone of her letter, it would not be a surprise at all if she was, at the least, stretching the truth a little bit. On top of the fact that she wanted this made public. It just reeks of an ulterior motive.

Having dealt with people, this just looks like a textbook case of getting one exaggerated side of a story.

The people in power at the university now are just stewards. Like the people who came before them and the people who will come after. Darla taking issue with the performance and her relationship with the current stewards is fine. Her making a blanket statement attacking the university and regretting her previous financial gifts is foolish and unwise. Thousands of students have benefited from her generosity and love for South Carolina. She is and will always be a beloved figure we’ll after the current incompetent leadership group is gone. She can be sour at them, but not with the school. And she should have made that distinction.
A thoughtful post, although I don't know that the current leadership group is as incompetent as you make it out to be. Still, thanks for the post - a good read. 👍

This is absolutely the dumbest thing I have ever read on here. You obviously aren't in business or self employed or really even capable of foreseeability.

boo hoo...Darla did herself in by writing the most self-aggrandizing letter I've ever read. And like a spoiled little brat, she made it public. Talk about unprofessional. Even if USC did drop the ball on sending condolences to her mom (still no verification about that), her response was disproportionate, childish, petty and so full of self-importance it almost made me puke. The immature tone of her letter robs it of any reasonable credibility.

Last edited:
To answer your question: I have no reason to believe she's either lying or telling the truth.

Practically speaking, given the tone of her letter, it would not be a surprise at all if she was, at the least, stretching the truth a little bit. On top of the fact that she wanted this made public. It just reeks of an ulterior motive.

Having dealt with people, this just looks like a textbook case of getting one exaggerated side of a story.
Its hard to believe you can even type that first sentence. Of course there are legit reasons to believe her statements are true.

Just a few of those reasons are:

1. The university has not contradicted the statement. In PR world....silence usually means guilt.
2. She is the respected, largest donor (BY FAR) in the history of the university with no history of mistruths about her alma mater.
3. There is a long and ugly history of these kind of self-inflicted screw-ups at USC. Is anyone really surprised? Really?
4. In these scenarios, usually organizations issue private as well as public condolences. Have you seen any previous public statements via social media, etc. at all? At the very least one would think there would be a tribute post on the Moore School's social media page(s).

Its frustrating to see so many in this thread leaping to off-base insults of Mrs. Moore. This was a royal screw-up by our university and there simply is no other way to categorize it. The impact of this cannot be over-stated. It is a public relations nightmare....just the latest in a string of many unfortunately.

Maybe our supporters, when these things happen, should focus our frustration on the school administration where it should be to demand a beginning to digging ourselves out of this total culture of mediocrity that currently exists at Carolina.

Its hard to believe you can even type that first sentence. Of course there are legit reasons to believe her statements are true.

Just a few of those reasons are:

1. The university has not contradicted the statement. In PR world....silence usually means guilt.
2. She is the respected, largest donor (BY FAR) in the history of the university with no history of mistruths about her alma mater.
3. There is a long and ugly history of these kind of self-inflicted screw-ups at USC. Is anyone really surprised? Really?
4. In these scenarios, usually organizations issue private as well as public condolences. Have you seen any previous public statements via social media, etc. at all? At the very least one would think there would be a tribute post on the Moore School's social media page(s).

Its frustrating to see so many in this thread leaping to off-base insults of Mrs. Moore. This was a royal screw-up by our university and there simply is no other way to categorize it. The impact of this cannot be over-stated. It is a public relations nightmare....just the latest in a string of many unfortunately.

Maybe our supporters, when these things happen, should focus our frustration on the school administration where it should be to demand a beginning to digging ourselves out of this total culture of mediocrity that currently exists at Carolina.

your post is laughable.

even if the University had appropriately sent condolences it would be a PR nightmare for the University to come out and throw Darla under the bus by saying she's lying. talk about dumping gasoline on a little flame. absolutely the worst course of action. unlike Darla's childish letter that she publicly release, the ONLY professional way for USC to handle this privately with Darla. then, perhaps, they should later release statement saying they have reach out to her and settled the issue.

i'm not insulting Darla. just calling her letter for what it was.

This is absolutely the dumbest thing I have ever read on here. You obviously aren't in business or self employed or really even capable of foreseeability.

This isn’t true at all. Most successful businesses know sometimes you have to let a customer go.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT