ADVERTISEMENT

Deshaun Watson

Status
Not open for further replies.
You see whatever it is you want to see. I see Humphrey and Scott engage high, and Humphrey tackles and pushes Scott down. You seem to see Scott going low intentionally for Humphrey's legs. It's pretty terrible if that was what he was doing because Humphrey is the only one left standing.

I haven't heard a single analyst or expert opinion that agrees with what you think you're seeing. The refs on the field didn't see that.

and you see what you want to see...DUMBASS!

I agree with everything the OP said but "natty". I know the term is common now, but I despise it because I believe it flippantly trivializes a tremendous achievement for any team that wins it. If South Carolina ever wins the national championship in football, and if I'm here to see it, rest assured I will be boasting about "the national championship". Of course, the same applies to any other sport.

Dude, I've seen you post this twice.

Don't understand the big deal

Perhaps I should have said he needs to be less of an a-hole. Is that better?

If you want a true answer to your response though, ask Tiger Woods if humbleness would have served him well.
all right, that's more fair. I can definitely see how if I wasn't a fan, I'd find some of his stuff irritating as heck. I DO occasionally shout at the t.v., "stop with that, or they're gonna nail you for 15 yards on the kickoff!" I think it's hard to realize just how intense on the field big-time football is. You're on a field getting watched by 80,000 people in the stands and several million more on t.v. I'm guessing that a lot of the showboating we see from kids that we didn't see 30 years ago is just a reaction to the absolute pressure cooker they're working in. I mean, yeah, you never used to see anybody on defense outside the NFL do the celebrating after big defensive plays. You see that now. I don't know if the refs just got way more relaxed on calling that stuff. I seem to recall a Sugar Bowl where an Alabama wide receiver did one of those "first down" gestures and spent the rest of the game on the bench after having the coach grab him by the facemask and chew him out on national t.v.

At church on Sunday, we always have a prayer list that class members request. It consist of serious needs with family members having serious health concerns like cancer or other sickness. At the very end, a Clemson fan asked the class to pray for a Clemson win because Nick Saban wasn't as good of a Christian as Dabo.

Those people are on another planet and need a brain transplant.

Wow. Those people are really crazy. Very cult like.

Reactions: lowcountrytiger
They were, more than I can remember. I don't like Bama either but they had their share of holding and PI called, not once was an illegal pick called and they were a crucial part of Clemson's offense, especially in the redzone. It was a shame officials let the game be determined by a couple of illegal plays. It's no different than the DB tackling the WR while the ball is in the air. Either call it or remove it from the books so team who choose to play by the rules can add it to their redzone offense.

The first one was illegal for sure but not the second that won the game.

I like your posts rogue, but you linked an article that clearly says it WAS NOT an illegal pick play because the defender made first contact, in order to make your point that it was an illegal pick play.
Wow...that was not the script under the film that I linked to...seems SB Nation changed their view on the matter...or they didn't want the NC game to be controversial. The script previously said it could be called either way depending on who initiated the contact and left open the question as to who made the initial contact.

I still think it looks like the WR intended to initiate contact and ran toward the defender, initiated the contact and leaving the defender no choice but to grab him (which would be a natural reaction), therefor it would be pass interference on the WR. I realize that is not the popular interpretation and, obviously, not the way it was called in the game.

I have been very critical of Watson on this board for the past two years, and justifiably so, because of his showboating, "look at me" individual celebrations after touchdowns and big plays. He impressed me last night in several ways, not the least by a toned-down demeanor after scoring or making big plays, which he made in abundance. I'm quite sure that Dabo, Venables, and probably D-Rad bent a few ears after the Boulware/Wilkins PR fiasco last week, but however it happened, Deschaun seemed more intent on celebrating with his teammates, which is the way it should be. Though I've never doubted his superior athleticism, mental acuity under pressure, leadership ability, or will to win, Watson also showed me a toughness that I've never seen from him before last night. I'm not saying he didn't have it ... I've just never seen it. That young man got hammered and hit last night, and like a great heavyweight rising from the canvas again and again, he continued to pummel the Bama defense, just like last year. Deshaun Watson and Clemson deserve my congratulations for winning the Natty and solidifying their place as the best football team in the nation this year!
He beat us during our down years with Spurrier. Wish we could have played him when things were equal.

Once in a lifetime guy.

But in the end...........screw him.

Though I upfront and outright admit that I gave the original post of this thread a "Like", why Mr. Dangerfield, I also PROUDLY admit that I upfront and outright give yours a worship!!

3a4471e95151e6e8a5b94f8d1e0e0043d2832f2005693c781f7fbe9614493ddf.jpg

:cool:

Dude should have won the heisman...he is very Brady like to me. Understands the game,high football IQ, knows the playbook inside and out, makes the best decisions, and throws it on a dime

He can run better than Brady...

He will have a very successful career in the NFL
He threw too many picks to deserve the Heisman.

The point is its a qb friendly system that average qbs can be successful in./ I'm not calling Watson an average qb. To be clear, he's one of the best college qb's I've ever seen. But the system he's played in doesn't show us anything about how he'll do in the NFL.

Lol is for kids.
Ya gots me...lol

Wow...that was not the script under the film that I linked to...seems SB Nation changed their view on the matter...or they didn't want the NC game to be controversial. The script previously said it could be called either way depending on who initiated the contact and left open the question as to who made the initial contact.

I still think it looks like the WR intended to initiate contact and ran toward the defender, initiated the contact and leaving the defender no choice but to grab him (which would be a natural reaction), therefor it would be pass interference on the WR. I realize that is not the popular interpretation and, obviously, not the way it was called in the game.

Well Spurrier said it was a great play call and it worked great. Also said SC ran the same play against us in 2014 but our DE got out and batted it down. Said Cooper was wide open. Starts at 15:30.

As much as I hate to admit it, Watson was special. What's great is he's gone and Clemson is going to have a huge drop off without him!

At church on Sunday, we always have a prayer list that class members request. It consist of serious needs with family members having serious health concerns like cancer or other sickness. At the very end, a Clemson fan asked the class to pray for a Clemson win because Nick Saban wasn't as good of a Christian as Dabo.

Those people are on another planet and need a brain transplant.

God probably does not care if Clemson wins a football game or not. It is amazing that someone would think God does! This person is the kind that would join a cult and drink the kool aid. The Clemson cult and orange kool aid!

You have an interesting definition of tackling. This shows Scott diving at the legs of the Bama DB taking him out of the play....and that is, by definition, interference.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...td-alabama-clemson-2017-national-championship
Bama was in a man to man. The player you say Scott picked was on Scott. That defender was NEVER going to cover Renfrow. The inside man had Renfrow. And that defender had to run around his own man and Scott to get to Renfrow. It was a brilliant call designed to take advantage of man to man coverage. And the Bama players were told to interfere with the receivers. And that is what Scott's man did.

Bama was in a man to man. The player you say Scott picked was on Scott. That defender was NEVER going to cover Renfrow. The inside man had Renfrow. And that defender had to run around his own man and Scott to get to Renfrow. It was a brilliant call designed to take advantage of man to man coverage. And the Bama players were told to interfere with the receivers. And that is what Scott's man did.

Watson already said that "Tay" had to set a good "block" for the play to work. Knowing that, it was clearly offensive pass interference. Scott was never running a route as required. He was a blocker on a pass that was past the line of scrimmage and that block happened well before Renfrow caught the ball, or even before it was thrown.

And it doesn't matter what player was illegally blocked downfield. The only thing in question to decide if it was illegal or not is what Scott running a route and the contact as incidental, or was Scott intentionally trying to impede a defender, any defender. From Watson's own comments, we know he was a blocker from the start.

Watson already said that "Tay" had to set a good "block" for the play to work. Knowing that, it was clearly offensive pass interference. Scott was never running a route as required. He was a blocker on a pass that was past the line of scrimmage and that block happened well before Renfrow caught the ball, or even before it was thrown.

And it doesn't matter what player was illegally blocked downfield. The only thing in question to decide if it was illegal or not is what Scott running a route and the contact as incidental, or was Scott intentionally trying to impede a defender, any defender. From Watson's own comments, we know he was a blocker from the start.
Well, the officials and ESPN analysts saw it differently. They concluded that it was not a pick. So, there is that.

But there is a but in here, Clemson scored 3 TDs on plays they should have been flagged for offensive pass interference. It was their go to play in the redzone. Officials let the game be decided by that. Bama couldn't cover number 7, he could have gone to him on legit plays and scored, but instead they took shortcuts and ran illegal pick plays. But as long as the ref doesn't call it, I guess its legal. Maybe we should all just run them every play, chance of success is through the roof, it's pitch and catch, same as warmups.

non-biased 3rd party

From the mouth of Watson himself.

"I knew if Tay make his block and got the little pick, Renfrow was going to get in the end zone," Watson told reporters after the game. "I kind of smiled, and I knew before I even snapped the ball it was going to be a touchdown. All I had to do was just get the ball to him. I slowed down the moment, everyone made their blocks and did their part, and I did my part, and we pulled it out."

In that situation, it is illegal for "Tay" to block. Indisputable offensive pass interference.

From the mouth of Watson himself.

"I knew if Tay make his block and got the little pick, Renfrow was going to get in the end zone," Watson told reporters after the game. "I kind of smiled, and I knew before I even snapped the ball it was going to be a touchdown. All I had to do was just get the ball to him. I slowed down the moment, everyone made their blocks and did their part, and I did my part, and we pulled it out."

In that situation, it is illegal for "Tay" to block. Indisputable offensive pass interference.
This sounds more like a thought crime than basing a penalty (or non-penalty) on what actually happened in a given play. "Hey, you were THINKING about blocking the defender on that play, so it should be a penalty! Your QB even said so!" This, of course, ignores what actually happened in the play, but I suppose that's inconsequential. We're talking about intent here, fellas.

This sounds more like a thought crime than basing a penalty (or non-penalty) on what actually happened in a given play. "Hey, you were THINKING about blocking the defender on that play, so it should be a penalty! Your QB even said so!" This, of course, ignores what actually happened in the play, but I suppose that's inconsequential. We're talking about intent here, fellas.

It matches exactly what happened on the field. That's how the play was designed. Scott made no attempt to run a route. He went straight for the defender to block.

BIG 12 refs didn't call it, because they didn't think it was illegal. NCAA agreed with the no-call after the fact, and even provided their logic and reasoning. But I'm the homer who clearly can't see the penalty, and a dumbass to boot. They HAD to say that, I'm told.

Impressive.

The pick play happened twice during the game and both plays went for TD's. The second pick play appeared to be clean, but the first play was definitely illegal.

Just curious, how would anyone one of us know what the Bama players were told to do?

Just curious, how would anyone one of us know what the Bama players were told to do?
I have managed to not get kicked off this board by not making snarky comments and not arguing with you guys. I'm out. Y'all ain't gonna change your mind anyway.

Probably because that's what all the pundits were saying its what he should do or should've done. Perhaps so...but I think they are discounting Saban's supreme confidence (even arrogance) in his defense. It would have been the obvious plan, but it's Saban we're talking about.

An unwelcome guest shouldn't be so sensitive.
An "unwelcome guest" had better be sensitive, or he won't be a guest much longer. Not here. Actually, I'm old enough to remember when Gamecock and Tiger fans would have conversations on TI and this site and actually have conversations. There would be arguments, but they wouldn't end in complete and total melt downs. Ah, those days are gone. I am afraid social media is becoming a cess pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT