ADVERTISEMENT

In state recruiting

This "offer" thing is more than a bit iffy. There are a ton of players who claim offers that they don't really have. Official visits tell me a lot more about who teams really want. Other than Burch, no player in the SC class could have committed to CU even if they had wanted to do so. I have no reason to believe that any of them did to be sure. I think they preferred SC, but Clemson would not have been an option for them.

6 3* recruits would prove otherwise .... We have a few 4 * kids in SC that would be better options..... Don't kid yourself.

Nope. Since Zoolander's School for children who can't read good didn't fully deliver on their promise to make you strong in fashion AND the reading/writing part - I will spell it out. There is no argument. Just an observation. The situation seems very much like a young, good looking wife who realizes 2-3 years in that she married down, and now starts taking suitors because her husband just can't deliver the goods. That is very much what Clemson football is like now. Somebody is playing after Thanksgiving....but it isn't many from Clemson. It's a coach from Alabama. It's a DC from the Big 8. It is kids from about everywhere else in the nation besides SC. So, for all the Clemson boys growing up dreaming of playing for Clempson….they are gonna have to wait til the program ALMOST gets the death penalty for a third time before they'll be able to get near wearing that orange helmet.

Say.......I sense a trend. Pell...Alabama grad. Near death penalty. Check
Ford. Alabama grad. Near death penalty. Check
Swinney. Alabama grad. …………….

You know you could have kept going with your list. Do the names Will Wade and Merl Code ring a Clemsux bell......yep. When Alabama hired Nick Saban don’t think he came in and didn’t crank up the bag man Jane again. Bama has a rich history so probably easier with the bag man in the field to right the ship. Once you get rolling with talent it’s easier to keep it rolling. Our problem is we screwed up when we were rolling.

The sad part is the NCAA is a limp biscuit now and they know it. The days of actual investigation and proper punishment are not over.

6 3* recruits would prove otherwise .... We have a few 4 * kids in SC that would be better options..... Don't kid yourself.
The SC kids that signed with The Gamecocks that are ranked 4* or higher are Burch, Doty, and and Huntley. Clemson signed the #1 QB in the country, so I don’t think that Doty would have been an option for CU. Huntley is not in the same league with the DL talent that Clemson signed. I’ve already said that Burch was a take. Not sure that I agree with your take that CU would take these players over the guys that they signed.

I understand we ought to always focus on our own program, and that is priority #1. I know how this will be received by many..... but I think this subject still matters a whole lot, and has legs. I think our fanbase should scream about this topic from the rooftops, talk about it at water coolers, remind random waiters in restaurants, take ads out in the newspaper, rent space on a Myrtle Beach banner plane and remind any and everybody that will listen that Clemson annually wipes their butts with the state of SC High School recruits the last few years.

Historically one of the more saturated D1 and Pro states (per capita, etc) over the last 30-40 years...and apparently the only players that play HS football in the state of SC good enough to play at Clemson are named Swinney and Venables. It has gotten worse over their recent rise in national polls; and I very much understand national recruiting. I also understand long-standing pride and feelings of respect for HS programs, players and coaches in this state. I guess the players in this state just aren't up to the standard needed from a player, and don't come from the type families or HS programs that Swinney is looking for?

What Swinney has continually done is laugh at them in their faces, tell them they are not good enough and disrespect the state HS system as a whole. All the while, an orange-clad group of clowns have followed blindly.....happily picking up his defecation droppings , taking a bite and rejoicing in how "it really tastes better than you would think". Many will say "it's working" or "look at the results". I have; I see one University's football program in the state of SC that is too good for it's HS programs. Pride comes before the fall....and this disingenuous clown's time is nearing.

If you are part of this Gamecock fanbase - I don't wanna hear "I'd trade this for that" and "well if we could get a Nat. Championship..., yada yada". No thanks. I have too much pride in myself, my family, the state of SC to get bent over like that by my program's football coach. Swinney has gone farther than thumbing his nose at everyone in the Clemson audience...he has turned them around and stuck it elsewhere and they apparently really enjoy it.

Kind of explains the whole Ben Boulware and Christian Wilkins butt-play fascination from a couple years ago.
I’m a Clemson fan so take what I say with a grain of salt. This post makes a lot of good points about in state recruiting. All the other garnet colored glasses junk is nonsense. USC is doing a great job of getting guys from SC. Doty, Hemingway, and Burch are all excellent prospects and had offers from Clemson. The problem is that Clemson had much better prospects other than Burch at those positions. Burch was an over sign for Clemson as well. They chose y’all and hats off to the recruiting job Muschamp did after going 4-8. I used to dismiss his ability to recruit but after this last class I’m sold he is a top notch recruiter.

Remember though Capehart is a SC prospect even though he transferred to IMG his senior year. Just like Thomas did. Venables is the coach’s son and I think it’s pretty cool to coach your son at that level. If you watch his tape he is a legit talent just like his older brother. Dabo’s sons are token players because their dad is the head coach. We all know that! Where did Muschamp’s son go?! Lastly if you listen to or read The Big Spur’s Tony Morrell even he’ll tell you the talent level in SC is down. It’s cyclical so I’m sure that will change. 2021 looks really bad though for the state!

Hats off to y’all for what I think is an underrated class but I’d still rather have our class over yours any day of the week! Go Tigers!!

Thanks, I try to be a reasonable guy, I'm just putting facts out and like discussing sports without the BS & trolling. I want Scar to do well- would like the last game to mean something nationally. I'm from Lexington and have 2 degrees from Scar but been a CU fan since I was a kid and still my favorite. I was there in early 80's during Morrison and Black Magic.

I brought up the schedule because its sucked the last 2-3 years, the ACC is just bad, really bad no way to hide it but what can we do?
The OOC schedules are planned so far out who knows how the teams will be, its not from lack of scheduling. In the last 10years we've played Auburn 4, A&M 2, UGA 2, ND 2 & you guys every year, next year we go to ND but 2021 has Wyoming & Uconn who has dropped to an FCS/G5 school since I believe. After 2021 the OCC through 2036 includes ND 4, UGA 3, LSU 2, & OU 2

It does seem like CU doesn't offer many in state kids but checking with 247 I found that is surprisingly inaccurate. Looking back at the classes 2016-2020 & averaged them Scar total offers 240 , 17 being from SC 14.1% - Clemson avg 137 offers & 9 from SC 15.2%- so that's not true about not offering SC kids.
I went to both schools website for the rosters. Scar has 49 & CU has 44 in state kids on the roster- I mean damn we are competing for Natties and all SC kids won't cut it.
The kids chose based on their particular situation like I did with going to SC for my degrees. They may have been Scar fans their entire lives and dreamed of playing at WB, may want to play in the SEC, earlier playing time at Scar, hell some may not want to compete ala Belk from last year for both of us, each kid is different.
I'm just putting the facts out, everyone can draw their own conclusion.

AS far as the rub play against BAMA looked like he ran at him and the DB grabbed him, but I'm sure you didn't see the LSU guy push off on the long TD (remember Rod Gardner), or the OPI on Moss TD when Chase runs out & grabs Kendricks jersey ( by far more obvious & worse than the rub play) or better yet the guys hand and foot OOB on the late drive for TD. But I digress and everyone will only dwell on this last paragraph of me making excuses- I'm not LSU was the better team that night and all season.

With true CU fan glasses on....there are plenty of calls and no calls against LSU that Clemson benefited from. Also....CU shouldn't have even been in the game since the refs (who were SEC refs...so no excuses or taking up for them) 100% SCREWED OSU and allowed CU to win that game. Pertinent note: I highly dislike OSU....and maybe those calls in first round were karma for THEM stealing the 01 NC game vs. Miami with a major blown call. Still....I am going off of Rivals info and where they show the player's hometown to be...so I'm just stating facts too. To be more precise....go look at the last 3 recruiting classes from CU. I don't care about offers, or walk ons. The people they TAKE on their team and play are from all places other than the state of SC.

Facts huh? Clemson has built their teams off the backs of players from anywhere but the state of SC and their HS programs. This is just this year's starters-
CU starters from SC:
Off
John Simpson- N. Charleston
Cervanka

Def
X. Thomas - Florence
DK - Rock Hill

That's it.

Rest of them:
Off
Chalk - TX
Higgins- TN
Ross- AL
Carmen- OH
Pollard- NC
Both starting and backup QBs- GA
Both starting and backup RBs- LA, GA

Def
Foster- NC
Davis- FL
Simmons- KS
Smith- VA
Skalski- GA
muse- NC
Terrell- GA
Wallace- VA

Last edited:
Insecure? No. I never say "wait til next year" because Gamecock football or any other sport or recreational activity doesn't define me. It isn't my source of confidence like so many weak-minded fools around our country. I don't rely on 19-20 year olds to give me reason to wake up every morning. I'm a grown man, and don't use somebody's else's work (and likely good amount of cheating) to pad my confidence by proxy make me a "winner". If you've been around long enough...you know exactly whose fanbase DOES act like that...whether you like it or not. People with inferiority complexes and that walk around with that insecurity written all over their face and actions.....they tend to be those who let another person do work and they jump on the bandwagon. Do you really think any Gamecock fan on here is a bandwagon fan? LOL

What I've stated is simple - Swinney has built Clemson into a national contender and has blind allegiance from his fanbase although there is plenty of smoke around. Things come out, people write books, get wronged and spill their guts....it will happen eventually. In the mean time - I'm sure you will continue to enjoy watching all those young boys from anywhere in the country except for South Carolinians play for Clemson and win a ring....and leave as butt and ball grabbing experts.
And champions. And the only smoke you can find comes from right here. Where else is there smoke?

Miserable with a lot of trophies

Trophies as well as players who beat women ,players on cocaine, players given ostarine by coaches , players who grab other players inappropriately, etc etc
Lots of pride there
Sorry if these facts bother you
More sorry if these facts you are “ ok “ with

Thought this was about home grown kids, Lloyd is from Maryland and Kaba is from NC. but here goes...

Yes , Clemson offered all 4 and do not give out offers easily- according to 247 you guys offered 223 & Clemson offered 106.. less than 1/2

Burch #2DT was wanted bad, you guys won out- CU signed #1,5&11 DT.
Kaba #13DT was offered, CU signed the #1,5,11 DT
Hemmingway #30 DT was offered, CU signed #1,5,11 DT

Lloyd #5 RB offered, got commitments fron the #3 & #30 RB- position filled

You guys pulled a great class coming off of the down season, be happy with your class and don't act like you wouldn't trade spots with Clemson right now.
It has nothing to do about being from SC.

The PWO QB from Gray is a very good player, they like to keep 5 QB on scholarship & hedging against a QB transferring out- just like UGA with Jackson Muschamp.
Most likely neither will see much game action but they will practice, play, learn the game and get their feet wet for a coaching job when they finish school. They have realistically expectations and seems like a good way to learn/intern for a job. BIG $ being paid to coaches now a-days.

and yes, our schedule sucks in 2020 & is even worse in 2021- hope they can get that 2021 shit fixed & I'm praying the ACC get their shit together.

Good luck next year.
Kaba isn't a DT. He's a linebacker. JS

Trophies as well as players who beat women ,players on cocaine, players given ostarine by coaches , players who grab other players inappropriately, etc etc
Lots of pride there
You guys are hilarious. Hilarious to watch you trying to figure out how to rationalize how your rival is the pinnacle of college football when your program can’t even get to after thought status. You throw out wild accusations and y’all about cheating. Ironically, no one else but you are accusing anyone of cheating. You talk about three players out of 85 who have a trace of a substance In their system when your program has one of the worst steroid scandals in the history of the sport. I know it’s a long time ago but trust me it’s hard to find any time where South Carolina, college football and history are all used in the same sentence.

But I understand, if roles were reversed I would absolutely be envious and jealous too

You guys are hilarious. Hilarious to watch you trying to figure out how to rationalize how your rival is the pinnacle of college football when your program can’t even get to after thought status. You throw out wild accusations and y’all about cheating. Ironically, no one else but you are accusing anyone of cheating. You talk about three players out of 85 who have a trace of a substance In their system when your program has one of the worst steroid scandals in the history of the sport. I know it’s a long time ago but trust me it’s hard to find any time where South Carolina, college football and history are all used in the same sentence.

But I understand, if roles were reversed I would absolutely be envious and jealous too

Oh, stop with the sanctimonious crap.

Yes, we had a steroid scandal. Were we the only program in the nation using steroids? Hell no. You think Clemson players were squeaky clean choir boys? GMAFB. There were a ton of guys on steroids throughout the nation, we just happened to get popped.

Y’all certainly deserve credit for elevating your program. Congratulations, I’m sure your success has nothing to do with New Spring, a big booster possibly associated with beer business, and other deep pocketed fans.

But dodging the questions about Ostarine? Come on. Maybe it’s just a coincidence y’all have had several players make full recovery from serious injury ahead of schedule. Maybe it’s a coincidence Dexter was hobbled by some nagging injuries, happened to heal up, and happened to pop positive for Ostarine.

If my memory serves me right Bama had some guys pop positive also.

Maybe it’s all just one big happy coincidence, and the NCAA just swept it under the rug instead of having to publicly face admitting both teams were cheating.

Lots of pride there

Not bothered by facts, but i am disappointed in some of their actions.

I believe the abuse was years ago (8years maybe) and the kid was punished. Ive asked you before when you bring up the abuse to give us a link, I've tried to find one but can't.

The cocaine was in 2014-15 and the kids were sent home before CFP.
If they used ostarine on purpose they should have been suspended and they served their time.

The whole but grabbing thing, personally don't understand.

CU suspended Sammy for 4 games to start the year, hes now a Super Bowl Champion WR.
Deon Cain was sent home from CFP in 2015 for smoking pot, was still in the doghouse the next year. He's now in the NFL.

So you talking about ~~8-10 instances out of 800 Through the years?

The young men made an error in judgement and paid the penalty.
I'm sure we all have done something wrong, I'm glad we give/receive second chances.

With true CU fan glasses on....there are plenty of calls and no calls against LSU that Clemson benefited from. Also....CU shouldn't have even been in the game since the refs (who were SEC refs...so no excuses or taking up for them) 100% SCREWED OSU and allowed CU to win that game. Pertinent note: I highly dislike OSU....and maybe those calls in first round were karma for THEM stealing the 01 NC game vs. Miami with a major blown call. Still....I am going off of Rivals info and where they show the player's hometown to be...so I'm just stating facts too. To be more precise....go look at the last 3 recruiting classes from CU. I don't care about offers, or walk ons. The people they TAKE on their team and play are from all places other than the state of SC.

Facts huh? Clemson has built their teams off the backs of players from anywhere but the state of SC and their HS programs. This is just this year's starters-
CU starters from SC:
Off
John Simpson- N. Charleston
Cervanka

Def
X. Thomas - Florence
DK - Rock Hill

That's it.

Rest of them:
Off
Chalk - TX
Higgins- TN
Ross- AL
Carmen- OH
Pollard- NC
Both starting and backup QBs- GA
Both starting and backup RBs- LA, GA

Def
Foster- NC
Davis- FL
Simmons- KS
Smith- VA
Skalski- GA
muse- NC
Terrell- GA
Wallace- VA

Come on man you are reaching now.
There are not enough quality players instate for one program much less both programs to be competitive.
The Rivals 250 for 2021 cam out today, none from the state of SC - ZERO.
The highest rated is in the low 300s, could UofSC compete with the top 10 in state? Nope

It's just a fact

Don't forget they signed DT Capehart from Hartsville. He was the 2nd best player from S.C. I think Rivals had him ranked #54 overall. I guess technically you could say he was from Florida because he transfer to IMG his senior year but when he committed he was still in school at Hartsville.

Come on man you are reaching now.
There are not enough quality players instate for one program much less both programs to be competitive.
The Rivals 250 for 2021 cam out today, none from the state of SC - ZERO.
The highest rated is in the low 300s, could UofSC compete with the top 10 in state? Nope

It's just a fact
I'm not reaching...and I'm stating facts.

I've already said "we all know every school around (including the two in state big programs) have to recruit outside the state."
I've also stated that SC HS players have historically fed neighboring Universities with huge talent....those that didn't go to SC or CU. So, I don't give a d@mn about a top 200 or 300. The state and its HS makeup is one of the better ones for easily finding talent (harder to hide it) AND even in "low talent " years the state produces a lot of D1 talent. So, like I say...if Clemson wanted SC HS players on their campus with scholarships in hand they would find them. Plenty of CUs roster are middling 3 stars from out of state. Again....SC has plenty of those every year, and Clemson has chosen to overlook them and go elsewhere. THAT is a fact.

Reactions: Expro19
Swinney has refused to speak at the high school coaches clinic in the summer ever since he has "risen". The head of that organization has made it clear that sc coaches will not forget that in the future.

Reactions: carolinamyke

It's hilarious that you come over here for our validation... Insecure much?

Reactions: carolinamyke
The SC kids that signed with The Gamecocks that are ranked 4* or higher are Burch, Doty, and and Huntley. Clemson signed the #1 QB in the country, so I don’t think that Doty would have been an option for CU. Huntley is not in the same league with the DL talent that Clemson signed. I’ve already said that Burch was a take. Not sure that I agree with your take that CU would take these players over the guys that they signed.

I saw the tater QB in a high school game on tv
He looks athletic and is big but he over threw a lot and short hopped a lot of passes. Not saying he’s not good as he obviously must be but I think Doty looks just as good with plenty of potential. Taters made their choice but I’m banking on Doty
Plus on others guess that’s each coaching staff preference
These are also facts

I'm not reaching...and I'm stating facts.

I've already said "we all know every school around (including the two in state big programs) have to recruit outside the state."
I've also stated that SC HS players have historically fed neighboring Universities with huge talent....those that didn't go to SC or CU. So, I don't give a d@mn about a top 200 or 300. The state and its HS makeup is one of the better ones for easily finding talent (harder to hide it) AND even in "low talent " years the state produces a lot of D1 talent. So, like I say...if Clemson wanted SC HS players on their campus with scholarships in hand they would find them. Plenty of CUs roster are middling 3 stars from out of state. Again....SC has plenty of those every year, and Clemson has chosen to overlook them and go elsewhere. THAT is a fact.

Its coinicidence but here's an article from today that supports your and my thoughts about the in state recruiting. This breaks down Clemson recruiting since CDS took over, courtesy of Tiger Illustrated Rivals site.

Going national

Larry Williams • TigerIllustrated
Senior Writer
CLEMSON | Even when he and his program were considered small potatoes, Dabo Swinney was talking big.

"I'm not interested in being second," he said. "I'm not interested in just winning this conference. I'm interested in being the very best that there is in college football."

This didn't come after a landmark win over LSU in 2012, or a statement-making win over Ohio State a year later.

Join Tigerillustrated.com subscribers on The West Zone message board!

It came with Clemson's program barely a month removed from a no-account loss to South Florida in a no-account bowl, which was a month removed from a Death Valley beatdown at the hands of South Carolina.

Swinney wanted to move on from the anguish of a 6-7 mark in his second full season as head coach, and a stellar 2011 recruiting class gave reason for those on the outside to take notice.

hdlplcboxxn2njcnm3se

Clemson four-star defensive end commit Cade Denhoff of Lakeland, Fla.
That's really when it all got going, a moment that is now crystallized as the first sign that this big dreamer had some substance to the grand vision he was outlining.

"We can recruit with anybody," he said that day. "And I said that when I came here. When everybody told me I was wasting my time recruiting

C.J.
(
Spiller
), I had a hard time understanding that. I've never been one to listen to people that tell me you can't do something. Because I know you can. You know the old saying: 'Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.'

"And I know that we can recruit the best of the best. And what you saw today doesn't surprise me at all. When you have the right kind of men in place like we have here, and the right kind of resources and genuineness, you're going to get more than your share."

The big story that year was Clemson's ability to dip into the state of Florida to nab

Sammy Watkins
Tony Steward
Mike Bellamy
and
Cortez Davis

Nine years ago, that's what constituted impressive reach for a program that hadn't won 10 games in two decades.

xppwgmbiduxolowtrkaz

Five-star Clemson defensive end commit Korey Foreman will head into the Spring Evaluation Period still billed as the nation's top-rated recruit by Rivals.com. (TrojanSports.com)
Shifting to the present, the definition of reach and branding has been completely changed as it's hard to conceive of a College Football Playoff without the Tigers in it.

The best demonstration of the enhanced power of the Paw might come with a comparison of those days compared to these days.

As in, the geography of Swinney's first four recruiting classes compared to his last four plus the nine commitments for 2021.

That 2011 class, which ranked No. 8 nationally according to Rivals.com, featured players from six states outside of South Carolina.

The most recent class, which ranks No. 2 nationally, features players from 11 states outside of the Palmetto State and from as far away as California and Texas.

The most significant shift in recruiting focus has come within South Carolina. Swinney's four classes from 2009 to 2012 featured 37 players from within the state's borders, and that's not counting players signed and placed in prep school.

In the past four classes plus the still-evolving 2021 class, just 10 players have come from the Palmetto State.

isex37ltkypbceo3t8vz

Four-star wide receiver and longtime Clemson commit Dacari Collins of Atlanta, Ga. (Rivals.com)
Here's a breakdown by state (and the District of Columbia) of the prospects from the former and the latter:

2009-12

South Carolina: 37

North Carolina: 12

Georgia: 10

Virginia: 8

Florida: 6

Alabama: 5

Tennessee: 2

Arkansas: 1

Delaware: 1

Minnessota: 1

New York: 1

Ohio: 1

2017-21

Georgia: 23

Florida: 17

South Carolina: 10

Alabama: 5

North Carolina: 5

Tennessee: 5

California: 4

Maryland: 3

Virginia: 3

Louisiana: 2

Missouri: 2

Ohio: 2

Pennsylvania: 2

Connecticut: 1

District of Columbia: 1

Indiana: 1

Kentucky: 1

Michigan: 1

New Jersey: 1

Texas: 1

So that's 11 percent of the prospects coming from within the state's borders in recent years, compared to 43.5 percent in Swinney's first four classes.

jneltkbs9sc3drna3lyf

Rivals100 defensive tackle and Clemson signee DeMonte Capehart began his prep career in South Carolina but the Hartsville native would finish his high school career in the state of Florida. (Rivals.com)
From 2009 to 2012, Clemson pulled from 11 different states outside of South Carolina. Over the past four classes, that number has been 19.

And while it's undoubtedly smart to capitalize on the increased awareness of Clemson nationally that's come as a result of spectacular success, it's also been wise to spend less time recruiting in the Palmetto State.

Consider this: Over a six-class stretch from 2006 to 2011, the state produced six 5-stars and 55 total 4-stars.

Over the next six classes from 2012 to 2017: zero 5-stars and just 33 4-stars.

Clemson fell short of the national championship last season, but it's abundantly clear the Tigers are championing going national in recruiting.

No one envisioned this back on that surprisingly glorious signing day in February of 2011.

OK, maybe one person did.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT