ADVERTISEMENT

Looming Crisis At Clemson

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much debt was Jr's last bond referendum issued at? I believe the last time I checked, the balance was still north of $110M. Both schools are public institutions. The SC budgetary and ways committee has financial plans available for both. Everybody always looks at the size of the check without understanding what comes out of it later.

Huh? What is the "SC budgetary and ways committee"? Is that part of the Budget and Control Board?

Did I miss something in all the other post? Is someone disputing that the schools ARE public institutions?

Sorry but your post is really confusing.....

SportsSuites, if you can produce a Clemson student ticket with a price tag on it (from the 110+ years of football), I will pull for the game chickens Thursday night.

That's like trying to produce a bowl trophy from Clempsum from 1982...........

This is pretty much a wasted topic. Neither state school will have any money problems anytime soon. Clemson can build for a lot cheaper than we can. They already have the land. They don't have to demolish/clean up any buildings or areas. We had to spend a fortune on site prep with all we've done around the stadium to clean up. Clemson just takes their pick of open land they already own. They're about to have a football facility that is ten times better than anything we've even dreamt up yet. They built their indoor practice facility several years before we did. SportsSuite you can hate Clemson but looking like an idiot doesn't help you or the rest of us.

Their basketball arena will obviously be much smaller than ours but it will be very nice when completed. Look at what the ad did at Georgia Tech. That guy knows his stuff on rebuilding arenas. GT's is awesome. We don't have any money problems and don't project to anytime soon. Clemson also doesn't have any money problems. They're paying coaches what they need to pay and building whatever they want. To act like they're in some kind of danger makes you and us look like morons.

I guess we get fans like SS and others that troll and troll terribly because it actually takes real creativity to make a decent post trolling your rival. In our state we have two state schools in good shape. Both are doing well financially, both are pushing forward academically, both have some good sports teams. I don't think we all understand how many schools are in extremely poor shape financially. How many that can't afford to push forward. Neither of our schools have that problem. We can build, pay, and buy what we want. I like Clemson to do well. It pushes us to do better. What's wrong with that? It's no fun beating up on a bum.

Our logic isn't always correctly placed. It hurts us more for our conference's teams to be good than it'd ever hurt for Clemson to be good.

kylebw wrote:

" ... it actually takes real creativity to make a decent post trolling your rival."

I don't know if that's the 'bar' but if so, it hits you 'bout the neck trying to clear it. Pretending to be a Gamecock to call me out by saying I'm making 'us' look bad is as stupid an attempt to convince me to stop posting what I know to be major differences in clemson and 'Carolina is as far from being 'creative' as paint by the numbers.

Ain't no 'us' in u and me ... and BTW, if you're gonna' come here and post you need an avatar - this one suits you:

ginormous-monkey-butt-20161-1240326062-6.jpg

I don't care about an avatar. To troll a team that is currently building over a million square feet of new facilities and claim they can't afford anything or are having money troubles is a little bit sad even for you. To say they can't afford coaches when until Morris left had two of the top 5 highest paid coordinators in the country is stupid even for you.

I didn't realize in your eyes if you aren't a complete imbecilic idiot like yourself you're a Clemson fan. Nice to know. I think you're a Clemson troll busting his tail on this board to make gamecocks look terrible.

Reactions: Dustabus
I just want to know why they built that big silo at the entrance to the stadium. I guess it's for all the grain fed heifers entering that pasture every week.

All these wonderful things about Clemson starting popping up on our boards after they finally won last year. For the last five years these guys smarting off on this board were nowhere to be found. Now damn if Tillman isn't the best in everything from best football program, players and coaches to the most beautiful community in the country, top public university and happiest student body. Can't wait to cut arse again this year and send them back into hiding. Walmart will be giving away orange pawed t shirts like the years 2009 to 2013. We at Carolina should really ignore these Swinney worshiping idiots and realize their BS won't float and Dabo World is going to crash in a few short weeks. Clemson will always be the backwoods county agent producing obscure school it has been since it's founding day. Greatest contribution to the state educational system so far is the TV comedy, Makin It Grow featuring the Junior Culhane look alike.

This is pretty much a wasted topic. Neither state school will have any money problems anytime soon. Clemson can build for a lot cheaper than we can. They already have the land. They don't have to demolish/clean up any buildings or areas. We had to spend a fortune on site prep with all we've done around the stadium to clean up. Clemson just takes their pick of open land they already own. They're about to have a football facility that is ten times better than anything we've even dreamt up yet. They built their indoor practice facility several years before we did. SportsSuite you can hate Clemson but looking like an idiot doesn't help you or the rest of us.

Their basketball arena will obviously be much smaller than ours but it will be very nice when completed. Look at what the ad did at Georgia Tech. That guy knows his stuff on rebuilding arenas. GT's is awesome. We don't have any money problems and don't project to anytime soon. Clemson also doesn't have any money problems. They're paying coaches what they need to pay and building whatever they want. To act like they're in some kind of danger makes you and us look like morons.

I guess we get fans like SS and others that troll and troll terribly because it actually takes real creativity to make a decent post trolling your rival. In our state we have two state schools in good shape. Both are doing well financially, both are pushing forward academically, both have some good sports teams. I don't think we all understand how many schools are in extremely poor shape financially. How many that can't afford to push forward. Neither of our schools have that problem. We can build, pay, and buy what we want. I like Clemson to do well. It pushes us to do better. What's wrong with that? It's no fun beating up on a bum.

Our logic isn't always correctly placed. It hurts us more for our conference's teams to be good than it'd ever hurt for Clemson to be good.

Damn all the threads wasting my time trying to figure you out.

OK...not really. Didn't take long. But you've without a doubt exposed yourself here.

Your entire first paragraph SCREAMS envy. The middle is just an attack on SS1, and you put way too much thought in the last sentence to appear neutral than any true Gamecock would ever think of posting. This is a Gamecock board after all, and 99.999% of Gamecocks I've ever met look for nothing good to happen as far as sports go at CU.

If it's any consolation, I don't use the ignore feature. I don't need it.
I've read enough of your bs and I bet it won't be long before I don't see your username pop up anymore.

See ya

Reactions: Combahee Cock

OK...not really. Didn't take long. But you've without a doubt exposed yourself here.

Your entire first paragraph SCREAMS envy. The middle is just an attack on SS1, and you put way too much thought in the last sentence to appear neutral than any true Gamecock would ever think of posting. This is a Gamecock board after all, and 99.999% of Gamecocks I've ever met look for nothing good to happen as far as sports go at CU.

I've read enough of your bs and I bet it won't be long before I don't see your username pop up anymore.

See ya
All too true. And to the clembicile who was talking about tater tech's crystal ball mnc trophy........it didn't even exist when they bought their title with an asterisk. Those posers had it made a couple decades later....and can't seem to keep their fans from breaking it. No problem in Pickens....just get another one made....fits in perfectly with the rest of their imaginary "tradition". We know we're not Notre Dame or Bama.....they actually believe they are.

See ya

L O L

I guess it is impossible in your eyes for there to exist an unbiased fan. Sorry homie but I wasn't born in this state (although all of my schooling has been in sc). I went to USC for not one but two degrees. I didn't grow up with a hatred for Clemson and after living 14 years in the rivalry I still don't see a need for biased idiotic hatred. Asinine posts make us look like idiots. If you only want gamecock fans around that dream, plead, and pretend for things to be terrible at Clemson then ignore my posts and only look at the dreamers' posts. I like to read and hear what's realistic. SS1 is either clinically insane or he's on acid. He's a dreamer. He wants misery for Clemson so badly he's obsessed with them finding it. It HELPS US that they're in good shape. It makes us push that much harder to be better than them. I was at Carolina when we sucked out loud. I was there through the 21 straight defeats. We didn't care then. We do now. We care and we push to compete and to win. I don't want a terrible rival producing a meaningless game. Call me names for that if you want but I don't care. I want a rivalry like Mich St/Ohio State. Like Notre Dame or Oregon vs the good SoCal teams. Like Bama/Auburn. Like Michigan (before they imploded)/Ohio State. Like Texas/OU used to be. I don't want two terrible teams trying to win a game just to be bowl eligible like it used to be. Forgive me for wanting a rivalry with national relevance. Forgive me for actually having an education and not having to resort to juvenile names and making myself seem like a white trash imbecile with all the hatred and immaturity.

Clemson is good this year. No matter how much some of you try to rationalize and pretend that isn't going to change. We need to sack up and start recruiting or they'll pull ahead of us for a long stretch again. That isn't being a tater. We don't have Lattimores, Clowneys, Ingrams, Swearingers, Hollomans, Gilmores, Shaws, etc, etc etc in bunches on the same team trotting out there for us right now. They have multiple top end talents. We have ONE great player. That doesn't cut it. Call me all the names you can dream up. I won't apologize for being a realist.

Reactions: Tigerpaw00
They had the best, deepest, most talented teams they've ever fielded from '11-'13.

And how did they fare vs the Gamecocks?

'Nuf sed.

They appear to have a decent team and a favorable schedule...I give you that. But you act as if they're heads and shoulders above us, and it just ain't true.

Time will tell. But don't get offended by anything I post in response to you're ignorance. It's only opinions. You have yours and I have mind. You are welcome to spread all the hate, ignorance and negative jam you want but I can refute it...and I will. Our team isn't loaded with superstars right now but the talent is there. They're just young and inexperienced. But to think we are lacking talent is just ignorance. Look at the rankings...which I don't put a lot of faith in...but we're in a better position than about 110 other FBS teams. And we have just as much talent and probably more depth at some positions that Clempzin. If you can't see that you're either a tater or you're not paying attention

I get the feeling the only reason you're here anyway is because you know November is coming hard and past...with hell & payback coming with it! I can't blame you though. Those were 5 rough years for you CU fans and I'm sure none of you are looking forward to the new streak starting.

But it's coming.

We bring in over $22mil more every year and the numbers continue to widen. You say we spent a fortune on site prep but fail to mention that we still built a better product in the end. Have you tailgated in the IPTAY lot by Death Valley? It's a friggin mudpit. That's the vast majority of the parking in Clemson.

You say Clemson built their indoor practice facility "several" years before us. Theirs opened in 2013. I mean I don't have my calculator handy right now but I believe that's 2 years. For someone that supposedly has two degrees you seem pretty stupid. Or maybe you're just an orange koolaid exaggerator. Either way, you're definitely NOT a realist.

You said, "They're about to have a football facility that is ten times better than anything we've even dreamt up yet." LMFAO! Again, you're supposed to be a "realist"? You are clearly not anywhere close to the inside when it comes to USC athletics or you would know better. We've already started planning for a football facility right by our new practice fields/indoor practice facility. I don't know why you would think theirs is going to be "10 times better than anything we've even dreamt"(LMAO at your over-the-top, overexcited 12 yo girl immaturity) when NOTHING they've done recently has been better than us. In fact, EVERYTHING we've built lately has been bigger and better than Clemson. Our baseball facility, our basketball arena, our academic enrichment center, our scoreboard, our practice facility, our tailgating areas, etc etc etc. You simply have no #$%#$% clue what you are talking about and come across no different than a blind Clemson homer.

And you totally miss the point on the money. Sure, they aren't in trouble when it comes to money. But they are WAAAAAY behind us and falling further and further behind. So relative to us, they are in trouble. And I've demonstrated that with all of our superior facilities over a very short period of time.

You are welcome to your opinion that conference rivals success hurts us but you're in the very small minority on that one. The bottom line when it comes to the SEC, we'd still be WAAY behind Clemson financially and with all of our facilities if it weren't for the SEC. And we damn sure wouldn't be attracting the coaches that we've brought in the last 20 years.

It's always been great to be a Gamecock. But our athletics have never been on as solid of ground as they are now. When we joined the SEC it paired a fan base starving for athletic success with the most competitive conference in the country. The results have been amazing. You weren't around before so you don't realize how far we've come. And your ignorance won't damper our enthusiasm for how far we've come. And it damn sure won't ever let us forget the orange hillbilly bastards that tried to hold us back every step of the way.

When it comes to South Carolina fans' deep-seated hatred for a school whose very existence and purpose is to destroy and keep down everything that is USC you need to educate yourself. Having someone not from this state, that hasn't been around very long, try and tell those of us who've lived with them our whole lives that we should love Clemson is nothing short of fighting words. IOW, sit down and shut the fook up.

Nobody said we need to love Clemson. Be careful what you wish for regarding conference foes being good. The SEC has been where it has been because of our brothers to the west. Alabama, Auburn, LSU, etc have hammered the east lately. We got our great seasons because the east by in large saw most of its teams at their worst. Florida was putrid, Tennessee has 1 winning season out of the last five, Georgia has only one good (by their standards) year in the last 5 or 6 (we beat them that year) and they had a losing record I believe in 2010, Vandy and Kentucky have been flat awful. A new team (Mizzou) pops into the east and wins it twice in a row. Who knows what would have been of our great years if the traditional powers in the East were at their power status. Yet you're here claiming you want them to all be great.

Our last good year we lost to an 8 win Georgia and a losing season Tennessee. Who knows what would have happened if Florida wasn't terrible with lame duck Muschamp and we didn't luck out with 3 win Arkansas and 7 win Miss St out of the West that year along with a weak OOC other than Clemson. Our best win by far that year was Clemson. If Arkansas, Florida, Miss St, Vandy, Kentucky, and even a team that beat us in Tennessee weren't awful who knows how highly we'd be thinking of our program right now yet you sit there and say you'd rather have the conference doing extremely well. Some of you don't look at logic. 2012 was our only truly good year. I only don't say great before someone jumps on me because I don't call it great if we don't at least win the SEC. We didn't have a bad loss and beat two 10+ win teams in Georgia and Clemson with Clemson being on the road.

We've prospered due to the East being down. We didn't prosper because they were up. Our IPF is no better than Clemson's. People look at $ amount and don't take into account how much cheaper it was for Clemson to build theirs where they did. They're roughly equal. We should have had ours open before they had theirs. They are building an all-inclusive football building that will house everything. Brand new weight room, brand new coaches offices, movie theaters, slides, lazer tag, go karts, new dining facilities, meeting rooms, etc that attaches to their practice fields and indoor practice facility. It is nicer than what we're building by a mile. The Colonial is big but it isn't super nice. Sorry to hurt people's feelings but it's not. Big isn't always best. Clemson's will be small but incredibly nice. Clemson just rebuilt most of the interior of the west end zone and added onto it after just opening it in 2009. Look at the videos Clemson is putting out daily on their football team. Some of them are comedy sketches but a lot of them are extremely well done to highlight the program. Again we do nothing like it. Their media department is destroying ours. We have to rely on people like Justin King (who does a wonderful job) that don't work for our program to make great videos and they're rarely put out.

I read the paper every day. I keep up with both programs as well as Coastal just because I have a home in Pawleys and a lot of family down that way. It isn't hard to open your eyes and see what's going on with both programs. They're destroying us as far as bringing in elite talent. Our qb of the future is probably about to be moved to wr and never come back. We don't have top end young talent anywhere. We have to rely on bringing in jucos to fill holes. That's not the path to success.

L O L

I guess it is impossible in your eyes for there to exist an unbiased fan. Sorry homie but I wasn't born in this state (although all of my schooling has been in sc). I went to USC for not one but two degrees. I didn't grow up with a hatred for Clemson and after living 14 years in the rivalry I still don't see a need for biased idiotic hatred. Asinine posts make us look like idiots. If you only want gamecock fans around that dream, plead, and pretend for things to be terrible at Clemson then ignore my posts and only look at the dreamers' posts. I like to read and hear what's realistic. SS1 is either clinically insane or he's on acid. He's a dreamer. He wants misery for Clemson so badly he's obsessed with them finding it. It HELPS US that they're in good shape. It makes us push that much harder to be better than them. I was at Carolina when we sucked out loud. I was there through the 21 straight defeats. We didn't care then. We do now. We care and we push to compete and to win. I don't want a terrible rival producing a meaningless game. Call me names for that if you want but I don't care. I want a rivalry like Mich St/Ohio State. Like Notre Dame or Oregon vs the good SoCal teams. Like Bama/Auburn. Like Michigan (before they imploded)/Ohio State. Like Texas/OU used to be. I don't want two terrible teams trying to win a game just to be bowl eligible like it used to be. Forgive me for wanting a rivalry with national relevance. Forgive me for actually having an education and not having to resort to juvenile names and making myself seem like a white trash imbecile with all the hatred and immaturity.

Clemson is good this year. No matter how much some of you try to rationalize and pretend that isn't going to change. We need to sack up and start recruiting or they'll pull ahead of us for a long stretch again. That isn't being a tater. We don't have Lattimores, Clowneys, Ingrams, Swearingers, Hollomans, Gilmores, Shaws, etc, etc etc in bunches on the same team trotting out there for us right now. They have multiple top end talents. We have ONE great player. That doesn't cut it. Call me all the names you can dream up. I won't apologize for being a realist.
"We?" These are the words of a straight up liar, period. You're fooling nobody here.

Clemson Internet impostors now claim to be South Carolina alumni? These guys have no shame and lie as much and as often as Dabo.

All you can say about Clemson after week 1 is they have better talent than Wofford and not enough fan interest to fill their stadium.

Duh! The level of brilliance there is breath-taking......

If you're going to be clever at least know your details. Clemson has the 1982 Orange Bowl trophy prominently displayed in the West Zone. Do a Google search, you'll see Danny Ford's big redneck grin staring right atcha. If you had said a 1983 or 1984 it may have been a clever reply..... Except for the fact that........ you don't want to bring up bowl trophies when you don't even have one that pre-dates 1995. The reason you can't find a Clemson student ticket with a price tag on it is because they don't exist.

Don't bring a knife to a gun fight son. And for God sakes, don't try to step in to take up for SportsSweezy, you were doomed from the start.

USC2USC says, "Carolina's facilities are currently better then Clempson's and that is just hard to deny. The Farmers assume their rural setting is better simply because thats what they personally prefer. I love Carolina's more urban setting and loved it for the four years I was a student. I would have been bored brainless at Tater U.....as was most all of my high school friends that chose to go there."

Grow up... you get it..."Grow?" Not only do you sound too young to have even entered college, but if you are (or have) then so be it, but when you make idiotic posts like bashing rural areas and farmers, have you tried to figure out what you would eat without them? Yea, I thought so, probably not. Also, way before you, your ancestors were hunter-gatherers who new how to find food without much cultivating or farming, that is not the case today. Are trying to eliminate farming and go back to hunter-gatherering? Just wondering...

yo-dawg-i-heard-you-tried-to-troll-y-u-fail-tho_zpskot96l2k.jpg

FWIW Kiplinger in 2013 ranked Columbia number 5 in it's top ten places to live in the US.

Columbia also made CNN Money's list of top twenty five places to retire.

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
Nice, insult YOUR capital just to take a dig at a rival school. Not real smart, if you ask me.

I guess I'm now William Tecumseh Sherman for saying an ill word about my state Capital. I will admit that Columbia has come a LONNNG way. I don't know where people go to by wigs or pawn stolen jewelry anymore, but Main street has been cleaned up quite a bit. Vista has become a great area.

But it's still the most likely place in SC to mugged between 12:00 and 4:00 AM, lets not kid ourselves.

Cheap, but more importantly, uncalled for, shot there, Forever Tig.

I never like the whole "it's the most dangerous place from X to Y AM" argument for any city, which is old and worn. Every city, and I do mean evey city with at least 50K pop or above, have areas that no one should be in in late hours. Name one that doesn't. I proudly hail orignally from Greenville - you really want to say there's no place there that isn't safe at 3 in the morning? I now live in Savannah, GA, which consistently makes Top 5 lists in various categories, even more than Columbia and Charleston, but you better believe I can name quite a few areas of the city where I won't venture at 3 AM.

There are places in NYC where it is incredibly safe to be out and about at 3AM, safer than downtown Crescent at that hour, yet most everyone thinks of it as "unsafe". It's all relative, folks.

Superior7 wrote:

"Our athletic programs and facilities in every sport are the best in this state."

If 'our' means 'Carolina there's simply no question, it's not even close.

Basketball
- Littlejohn vs. Colonial Life Center ... is that even a question?
Baseball - Kingsmore vs. Carolina Stadium ... ditto
Tennis? Clemson dispatches matches to the bowels of Zone 3, where keeping up with the score is impossible and foot-faults and in and outs are decided among the participants. The place lays out like poor municipal-recreational planning, with some of the surfaces so bad you couldn't land an RF-signal mini-helicopter on 'em without it tilting over.
Softball? Just take a look.
Golf? Are you kidding? That place up at Clemson is so short (sans approach angles) not only long-hitting Dustin Johnson but short-knocking Zach Johnson could shoot 65 with just a 7-iron and a putter. Touted as a "DJ DeVictors Design" that 'ought to get golfer's hearts racing given 'ol DJ's previous work was as 'principal landscaper' for 'timeshare' behemoth Fairfield Communities for 30-years. Compared to Cobblestone Park? Humm? DJ DeVictors vs. P.B. Dye ... and we ain't even mentioned the practice facilities or the clubhouses.
Soccer - 'Carolina's Stone Stadium vs. Clemson's crumblin' "historic" Riggs Field? Those concrete-block seats at Riggs were laid in 1915. It's 'historic' alright. Clemson played football there until 1941. The grass was in better shape then; so good in-fact it's where the Clemson homecoming queen grazed.
Track - Clemson's Rock Norman vs. 'Carolina's Weems Baskin? Are you kidding? And 'Carolina's building a 'new' indoor-track that would hold Clemson's entire complex inside and still permit racing with what's left over.
Sand Volleyball - Clemson has chosen not to participate in this sport, as explained by Athletic Director Dan Radikovich: "Most folks 'round here got trucks with slats not sidewalls, we're used to haulin' hogs not materials and we couldn't find nobody to do it 'fer us. haul some sand that is."
Football & Administration - Whew! I need to go all the way back to Ryan O'Neal and Ali MacGraw in 'Love Story' ... "Where do I begin, to tell the story of ...!!!". First, Clemson's Memorial Coliseum is constructed on land 'borrowed' from the adjacent cemetery. It's tacky 'WestZone' was added in '06 to improve athletic offices, add (supposedly, but that's certainly questionable) premo-seating, weight rooms and player-study areas; the entire area regarding get in/get out - tailgating, parking, laugh and shout is a mis-mash Zoo. Williams-Brice has more seats, MANY more facilities for boosters, far superior player-areas, locker rooms, weight facilities ... it ain't even close. 'Carolina's 'pre-game' facilities for parking/tailgating (public AND private) compared to Clemson are as different as a mansion and it's carriage-house ... throw in the 'Dodie' and the administrative 'Rice Building' enjoyed by 'Carolina and, well ... ain't no 'and' to it. It's South Carolina hands-down.

'ol "Pitchfork" Ben Tillman's statue up there on high at Clemson is pretty life-like, though! Think I'll slip on my 'red' hunting shirt and do a little shootin' over 'round Hamburg.
You forgot about Swimming, So did Clemson!

Reactions: SportsSuites1
If you're going to be clever at least know your details. Clemson has the 1982 Orange Bowl trophy prominently displayed in the West Zone. Do a Google search, you'll see Danny Ford's big redneck grin staring right atcha. If you had said a 1983 or 1984 it may have been a clever reply..... Except for the fact that........ you don't want to bring up bowl trophies when you don't even have one that pre-dates 1995. The reason you can't find a Clemson student ticket with a price tag on it is because they don't exist.

Don't bring a knife to a gun fight son. And for God sakes, don't try to step in to take up for SportsSweezy, you were doomed from the start.

That was for the 1981 Season....The game was played in 1982 you moron.....Glad you know how to google....

Tell us why it is that you didn't make it to another bowl for the two years following the 1982 Orange Bowl..........

I guess I'm now William Tecumseh Sherman for saying an ill word about my state Capital. I will admit that Columbia has come a LONNNG way. I don't know where people go to by wigs or pawn stolen jewelry anymore, but Main street has been cleaned up quite a bit. Vista has become a great area.

But it's still the most likely place in SC to mugged between 12:00 and 4:00 AM, lets not kid ourselves.

Yep, your capital sucks. Got it.

That was for the 1981 Season....The game was played in 1982 you moron.....Glad you know how to google....

Tell us why it is that you didn't make it to another bowl for the two years following the 1982 Orange Bowl..........

We won the 1982 Orange Bowl. You asked for a bowl trophy from 1982, which was about the most ironic question a gamecock could ask of a Clemson person. Yes, it was the 1981 season.... as if I didn't know that. It's really going to make me cry if you bring up NCAA sanctions from 1983 and 1984 with bowl probation....... it's hurts my fingers to type it because those probations led to a horrible decade in the remaining years of the 1980s.....NOT. Not being allowed to play in a bowl game for 2 years in a legit reason for not being able to win one over those two years. Not winning a bowl game over 90 years of a football program is much harder to explain/defend.

Chill out yall...... there are 2 & 3 stars all over the South East that will be mesmerized by at the athletic facilities in Columbia. Seriously..... after visiting Mercer, ECU, & NC State....... they'll commit right on the spot when they arrive in Columbia. It's been proven for the last 24 months.

Reactions: jblanken64
Nobody said we need to love Clemson. Be careful what you wish for regarding conference foes being good. The SEC has been where it has been because of our brothers to the west. Alabama, Auburn, LSU, etc have hammered the east lately. We got our great seasons because the east by in large saw most of its teams at their worst. Florida was putrid, Tennessee has 1 winning season out of the last five, Georgia has only one good (by their standards) year in the last 5 or 6 (we beat them that year) and they had a losing record I believe in 2010, Vandy and Kentucky have been flat awful. A new team (Mizzou) pops into the east and wins it twice in a row. Who knows what would have been of our great years if the traditional powers in the East were at their power status. Yet you're here claiming you want them to all be great.

Our last good year we lost to an 8 win Georgia and a losing season Tennessee. Who knows what would have happened if Florida wasn't terrible with lame duck Muschamp and we didn't luck out with 3 win Arkansas and 7 win Miss St out of the West that year along with a weak OOC other than Clemson. Our best win by far that year was Clemson. If Arkansas, Florida, Miss St, Vandy, Kentucky, and even a team that beat us in Tennessee weren't awful who knows how highly we'd be thinking of our program right now yet you sit there and say you'd rather have the conference doing extremely well. Some of you don't look at logic. 2012 was our only truly good year. I only don't say great before someone jumps on me because I don't call it great if we don't at least win the SEC. We didn't have a bad loss and beat two 10+ win teams in Georgia and Clemson with Clemson being on the road.

We've prospered due to the East being down. We didn't prosper because they were up. Our IPF is no better than Clemson's. People look at $ amount and don't take into account how much cheaper it was for Clemson to build theirs where they did. They're roughly equal. We should have had ours open before they had theirs. They are building an all-inclusive football building that will house everything. Brand new weight room, brand new coaches offices, movie theaters, slides, lazer tag, go karts, new dining facilities, meeting rooms, etc that attaches to their practice fields and indoor practice facility. It is nicer than what we're building by a mile. The Colonial is big but it isn't super nice. Sorry to hurt people's feelings but it's not. Big isn't always best. Clemson's will be small but incredibly nice. Clemson just rebuilt most of the interior of the west end zone and added onto it after just opening it in 2009. Look at the videos Clemson is putting out daily on their football team. Some of them are comedy sketches but a lot of them are extremely well done to highlight the program. Again we do nothing like it. Their media department is destroying ours. We have to rely on people like Justin King (who does a wonderful job) that don't work for our program to make great videos and they're rarely put out.

I read the paper every day. I keep up with both programs as well as Coastal just because I have a home in Pawleys and a lot of family down that way. It isn't hard to open your eyes and see what's going on with both programs. They're destroying us as far as bringing in elite talent. Our qb of the future is probably about to be moved to wr and never come back. We don't have top end young talent anywhere. We have to rely on bringing in jucos to fill holes. That's not the path to success.
You said we need to pull for them so it will be a great rivalry. Screw that, screw them, and screw you if you don't understand not just that we hate them, but why we do.

I don't need to pull for teams in the SEC to be good. It's just a fact that the SEC is full of some of the best teams in the country year after year after year. More than its share in comparison to all other conferences. The ACC is laughable in comparison. The decision isn't to pull for the SEC to be great because it already is. The decision is to embrace that fact or not. Considering the gains we have made as an athletic department we'd be fools not to embrace it. And that's beside the fact that any real competitor wants to compete with the best, not run from it.

All your excuse making for why we weren't as good as we think and other SEC teams weren't either, blah blah blah, our record against the top 25 and finishing in the top 10 and top 5 speaks for itself. Not to mention the streak of weeks in the top 25. It's hilarious that you downplay our ranking and other teams but tout Clemson as our best win when their win total was based on ACC competition and we beat the dogshit out of them for 5 straight years. For a self-proclaimed realist I really have to wonder why you are so far from reality.

Our IPF is about 30k sqft larger than theirs. Bigger and better.

You have no idea what we will build in regards to the new football building. It's idiotic to say what they are building is nicer by a mile. I picture you waving orange pom poms when you say that nonsense.

CLA is much nicer than the PortaJohn. How much money have they wasted on that crappy arena anyway? What is this, the umpteenth upgrade? They're always so pitiful that no one ever talks about the upgrades of the portajohn when they are finished. No reason to believe this won't be another waste of money.

Much of the west end zone upgrades are now wasted money because those offices and facilities will be replicated in their new football building. When you are so far behind your rival in income, wasting money is a really bad thing if you want to keep up with the Joneses.

I always love the recruiting argument by Clemson fans. With all the years of them outrecruiting us, why have we beaten them 5 of the last 6, 6 of the last 10, and 7-7 in the last 14 games? I mean, if that's so important. Is it superior coaching, what's the excuse? I'll hold my breath while you come up with an excuse better than it was a fluke or wait til next year. NOT!

I will give you credit for one argument. They do put a positive spin on their programs much better than we do. Tim Bourret runs circles around Steve Fink and it's not even close. I don't want the over the top crap that Bourret feeds the in game commentators when Clemson sets some kind of BS record at halftime against Wake Forest on games played in the rain. But we do need to do a better job promoting all the great things happening at USC right now. Did the broadcast the other night even mention the new IPF or the new dorms the players are staying in? I don't think so. And the national guys are lazy and just looking to be told what to say. Same with the local state guys which is why if all you do is read the paper then you are getting straight Clemson spin about how great they are and the disinformation that they put out about how awful we are. This is an area we could do much better in but Spurrier and Tanner have always been more worried about what we do on the field. However, they are coaches(even if Tanner is AD now) at heart. But a better job marketing our programs is sorely needed imo.

Last edited:
IF you're recruiting success is largely based on the quality of your facilities, you will ride the up and down rollercoaster that is your competitive position with regard to facilities. Most players over the last few years that have committed to Clemson mention the facilities as secondary to their decision. They talk about Dabo, the coaching staff, the support staff, the culture that exists in the program and in the community. The indoor facility, WestZone Renovations, and the new $60 million dollar football operations facility breaking grown in January is not needed to for us to recruit more NFL 1st round draft picks. It does mean that if selling facilities is a huge part of your pitch.......... you're going to have a harder time selling against Clemson.

Clemson's pool was too short to compete as an NCAA sanctioned sport, so they tore the damn place down? I know swimming in the grand scheme of things isn't that important, but this fact does indicate CU has lacking funds. Hell, how many times can a school 'renovate' an arena? Littlejohn, is, and will continue to be, one of the worst basketball facilities in the acc. You can put expensive lipstick on a PIG, but it doesn't change the fact that it is still a P I G.

Trying to keep up with big brother.... 250K living alumni vs 130K, better conference affiliation, flagship university vs. a land grant farming school, no need to go on.........

Reactions: NetworkX
Clemson's pool was too short to compete as an NCAA sanctioned sport, so they tore the damn place down? I know swimming in the grand scheme of things isn't that important, but this fact does indicate CU has lacking funds. Hell, how many times can a school 'renovate' an arena? Littlejohn, is, and will continue to be, one of the worst basketball facilities in the acc. You can put expensive lipstick on a PIG, but it doesn't change the fact that it is still a P I G.

Trying to keep up with big brother.... 250K living alumni vs 130K, better conference affiliation, flagship university vs. a land grant farming school, no need to go on.........
Since Clemson plays in a basketball conference, it seems they would have used $60 Million to build a new basketball arena instead of a football operations facility. Clemson competes in a league with opposing fans that care nothing about the sport of football but their basketball passion has built several of the best programs in the sport.

Clemson is doing it backwards, they give most of the money to football and they compete with some of the worse teams in college football

of all people, you would think you would know first hand that building a new basketball arena does not guarantee an uplift your MENs program.....see Georgia Tech and South Carolina.

Dude......UNC, Duke, Syracuse, UVA, Wake, etc....etc.... Are in our league, we will NEVER compete with them on a consistent basis in basketball.

With football, your can reap a return on your investment through major gifts when you have football success.

I can't believe clemson is bragging on their oculus.

Thomas Jefferson's Rotunda beat you to it in America by almost 200-years.

That silly thing up at clemson looks like a cheap fish bowl.

Originally employed for light and cooling purposes this architectural element was essentially replaced with cupolas ... but I'm assuming with the number of those already present on the campus 'sheep barn' someone thought it would be cool to resurrect a Syrian construction feature as clemson's homage to the victims of 9-11.

Enjoy your mosque.

Last week there were threads comparing the differences between Clemson and 'Carolina facilities, with many fans on both sides seeming to want to end the dispute by saying 'both have nice facilities'.

Describing facilities as 'assets' could the 'equality' argument be made again? Not honestly it couldn't be.

We may be neighbors with similar houses and otherwise visible trappings of a certain status (our campuses and athletic facilities), some of the same friends (mutual opponents), we frequent many of the same clubs (bowl games), shop in the same stores (recruiting) and are both members of the community's most 'prestigious' social club (Top 25 - although USC is 'temporarily suspended' for not paying its dues).

So, what's the 'difference', if anything? Actually, it's two things ... "liquidity and reserves". Numerically the fan-bases are approximately equal. What's unequal is the proportional value of an individual 'fan' ... basically, the law of 'averages'. Clemson has some enormously successful alumni and a 'few' extremely loyal AND generous alumni - but Clemson also suffers from an inordinately LARGE block of dumb as a brick pay their bills with sticks (firewood sellers) drink Schlitz Malt Liquor for kicks "fans" who if charged with DUI would have to do the 10-days unable to post a $500 bail. Not just tens, scores of thousands of 'em.

Both schools (wisely) borrowed and spent a few hundred million upgrading facilities while rates were so low had they been any lower the bond-issurer's would have been paying them to take the money ... THAT was smart.

What was NOT 'smart' (for Clemson) is their 'balance sheet' is pushing the envelope and all they seem to be attracting with the most successful run in that schools history are uneducated, dis-functional illiterates ... and that won't feed the monkey!!!

The DIFFERENCE in annual 'cash-flow' between the Clemson athletic programs and South Carolina's athletic programs is approximately TWENTY-FIVE MILLION DOLLARS ($25,000,000.00) ... $74 million vs. $98 million and change EVERY YEAR ... and THAT is 'prelude' to CRISIS.

IT WILL GET WORSE!!! The contributions of USC's 'Gamecock Club' already dwarf IPTAY contributions and 'reserves' continue to widen, not just from items as diverse as ticket sales and merchandise royalties but money from conference affiliations (this is a HUGE gap that will only get wider).

I realize a large number of the Clemson trolls on this board still have pimples, thus may not know the name but Clemson is VERY MUCH like Ericsson Electronics in the mid-90's. Betting on the come Ericsson threw money around ($125 million as the 'initial' named-sponsor for Panther stadium) that later evaporated, they over-hired (and over-paid) administrators (Clemson coaching salaries) ... fact is, in 1996 owning an 'Ericsson' phone was possessing the 'Cadillac' of phones ... Motorola and Nokia were WAY back in the pack, while iphones and Android's didn't even exist.

As 'Carolina's financial fortunes improve Clemson's are getting weaker, and while their influx of 'new' rooters may be good for a 'Way ta' GO!' (directed towards a TV screen) the weight of those uneducated, underemployed 'fans' will for a while be just a sea-anchor, but eventually bust loose into dropped chain and fixed-hold ... and when it does it ain't gonna be pretty.

Clemson NEEDS a 'National Championship' - that alone would help 'cure' the recurring cash-flow spread differential for at least ONE year ... but what about 'next year' ... and the year after that?

Nope - it ain't 'even'. It's not even CLOSE. We may be 'neighbors' ... with many of the same interests and friends TODAY ... but 'Carolina's children are all in school and working towards their future rewards, 'Carolina has money saved and a plan for tomorrow. Clemson?

They have a yard-full of cousins that Chevy Chase might call "Eddie" ... good people, YES!!! - but good people who dump their sewers into street-drains nonetheless.

THIS is a GREAT TIME to be a GAMECOCK!!!
Last week there were threads comparing the differences between Clemson and 'Carolina facilities, with many fans on both sides seeming to want to end the dispute by saying 'both have nice facilities'.

Describing facilities as 'assets' could the 'equality' argument be made again? Not honestly it couldn't be.

We may be neighbors with similar houses and otherwise visible trappings of a certain status (our campuses and athletic facilities), some of the same friends (mutual opponents), we frequent many of the same clubs (bowl games), shop in the same stores (recruiting) and are both members of the community's most 'prestigious' social club (Top 25 - although USC is 'temporarily suspended' for not paying its dues).

So, what's the 'difference', if anything? Actually, it's two things ... "liquidity and reserves". Numerically the fan-bases are approximately equal. What's unequal is the proportional value of an individual 'fan' ... basically, the law of 'averages'. Clemson has some enormously successful alumni and a 'few' extremely loyal AND generous alumni - but Clemson also suffers from an inordinately LARGE block of dumb as a brick pay their bills with sticks (firewood sellers) drink Schlitz Malt Liquor for kicks "fans" who if charged with DUI would have to do the 10-days unable to post a $500 bail. Not just tens, scores of thousands of 'em.

Both schools (wisely) borrowed and spent a few hundred million upgrading facilities while rates were so low had they been any lower the bond-issurer's would have been paying them to take the money ... THAT was smart.

What was NOT 'smart' (for Clemson) is their 'balance sheet' is pushing the envelope and all they seem to be attracting with the most successful run in that schools history are uneducated, dis-functional illiterates ... and that won't feed the monkey!!!

The DIFFERENCE in annual 'cash-flow' between the Clemson athletic programs and South Carolina's athletic programs is approximately TWENTY-FIVE MILLION DOLLARS ($25,000,000.00) ... $74 million vs. $98 million and change EVERY YEAR ... and THAT is 'prelude' to CRISIS.

IT WILL GET WORSE!!! The contributions of USC's 'Gamecock Club' already dwarf IPTAY contributions and 'reserves' continue to widen, not just from items as diverse as ticket sales and merchandise royalties but money from conference affiliations (this is a HUGE gap that will only get wider).

I realize a large number of the Clemson trolls on this board still have pimples, thus may not know the name but Clemson is VERY MUCH like Ericsson Electronics in the mid-90's. Betting on the come Ericsson threw money around ($125 million as the 'initial' named-sponsor for Panther stadium) that later evaporated, they over-hired (and over-paid) administrators (Clemson coaching salaries) ... fact is, in 1996 owning an 'Ericsson' phone was possessing the 'Cadillac' of phones ... Motorola and Nokia were WAY back in the pack, while iphones and Android's didn't even exist.

As 'Carolina's financial fortunes improve Clemson's are getting weaker, and while their influx of 'new' rooters may be good for a 'Way ta' GO!' (directed towards a TV screen) the weight of those uneducated, underemployed 'fans' will for a while be just a sea-anchor, but eventually bust loose into dropped chain and fixed-hold ... and when it does it ain't gonna be pretty.

Clemson NEEDS a 'National Championship' - that alone would help 'cure' the recurring cash-flow spread differential for at least ONE year ... but what about 'next year' ... and the year after that?

Nope - it ain't 'even'. It's not even CLOSE. We may be 'neighbors' ... with many of the same interests and friends TODAY ... but 'Carolina's children are all in school and working towards their future rewards, 'Carolina has money saved and a plan for tomorrow. Clemson?

They have a yard-full of cousins that Chevy Chase might call "Eddie" ... good people, YES!!! - but good people who dump their sewers into street-drains nonetheless.

THIS is a GREAT TIME to be a GAMECOCK!!!
I have seen no evidence where money and facilities actually wins football games. If that were true Texas would win the National Championship every year. Clemson has a beautiful campus and a higher educational reputation. Money can't buy those things. The facilities at Clemson are very nice. Nice enough. I might add that ESPN is currently not doing so well, so I don't see this ESPN gravy train going on indefinitely.

Reactions: jblanken64
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT